What if Sirianni is the next Bill Walsh?

JP HOF

I get great vibes off him from the start despite all the abuse that came his way starting from his first press conference.  The greatest coaching legends in NFL history are for the most part really strange dudes, who possess skills and insights you'd never guess about when you hear them speak..

No one woulda thought Belichick would be what he turned out to be.   Or Lombardi, or Joe Gibbs, or Jimmy Johnson, or Parcells.  They all had a knack for growing a chemistry with their players, extraordinary people skills and instincts made these men beyond mortal.  

You kinda never knew what kind of leader you were getting when you hired them.  Sirianni, who knows?  but he obviously knows and loves the game and is ultimately competitive.  I for one wanted Doug fired more than anything, he was just a numbskull on gameday.  I am also optimistic about Hurts.  Who better for the Birds than an ultimate scrapper, what a step up from the spoiled bratboy Wentz.  and indications are it will be a balanced offense, something we've rarely seen!

I feel the Vegas over/under of 6 1/2 wins is an absolute gimme for the over.

happy football

• Like 1

I’m looking forward to seeing what Sirianni and his staff can do, but the next Bill Walsh??

image.gif.0a6ef20671b9e0511e2f05595f1c0df5.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

He could be the next Bill Walsh. He could also be the next Jim Mora or Mike Singletary. We'll know a whole lot more in 4 or 5 months.

I mean who knows. Let's first see if he can be a good HC before we start wondering how good he can be. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, eglz1 said:

He could be the next Bill Walsh. He could also be the next Jim Mora or Mike Singletary. We'll know a whole lot more in 4 or 5 months.

Mora Sr, or Jr?  The father was a head coach for a long time.  I thought Jr wasn’t that bad, either 

• Like 1

Say what you want, but Lurie has a pretty good track record when it comes to hiring coaches. 

Ray Rhodes was a coach of the year.

We all know what Andy did for over a decade.

Chip just didn't have the personality but did make the playoffs

Doug won a superbowl before his meteor burned out

• Like 3

Bill Walsh had a heck of a lot more experience coming into a HC gig, and his scheme redefined the NFL.  Not a chance Sirianni gets in the ballpark of Walsh.

Good old philly fans, have no problems saying a guy sucks with nothing to base it off of.. somebody writes something positive and hoping for the best and all of a sudden we have nothing to go off of to say he is good or not lol. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, JP HOF said:

and indications are it will be a balanced offense, something we've rarely seen!

Colts last year only had 3.5 more carries a game than the Eagles.

6 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

Mora Sr, or Jr?  The father was a head coach for a long time.  I thought Jr wasn’t that bad, either 

Jr. I didn't know about Mora Sr. Mora Jr. was okay but Bill Walsh he was not AFAIK. I think the odds of Siriani being mediocre are better than being an absolute stinker.

17 hours ago, JP HOF said:

No one woulda thought Belichick would be what he turned out to be.   Or Lombardi, or Joe Gibbs, or Jimmy Johnson, or Parcells.  They all had a knack for growing a chemistry with their players, extraordinary people skills and instincts made these men beyond mortal.  

I think the most amazing story is D Vermeil.  As I reall, he was at a HS and they needed a football coach, while he did play HS football he had never coached before and went to the library to learn about the fundamentals and X's and O's of the game, I guess that' why he knew Offense, Defense and Special teams. 

After he returned to football subsequent to leaving the Eagles his mindset was he's not a football coach but rather a people coach of people who play football. Sirianni should take note of that approach as Vermeil was a winner at the HS, College, and Professional levels.  He also stated that he doesn't distinguish the accompolishments, he's as proud of his HS and Rose Bowl championships as he is of his SB championship.

• Like 1

It’s officially that part of the offseason. 

Training camp needs to get here already

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dwide Schrude said:

It’s officially that part of the offseason. 

Training camp needs to get here already

It really really does! It's been a long stretch. 

Even Bill Walsh had impeccable talent though. I don’t know if Sirianni is good enough to out coach his teams talent level. Joe Montana, Steve Young, and Jerry Rice made George Seifert look like he was as good as Walsh, but when that dude went to a far less talented Carolina all that talk stopped.

6 hours ago, EagleVA said:
On 7/10/2021 at 3:44 AM, JP HOF said:

I think the most amazing story is D Vermeil.  As I reall, he was at a HS and they needed a football coach, while he did play HS football he had never coached before

Not sure your facts are correct

12 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Good old philly fans, have no problems saying a guy sucks with nothing to base it off of.. somebody writes something positive and hoping for the best and all of a sudden we have nothing to go off of to say he is good or not lol. 

I don’t think there is anything wrong with some hope, but either way we just don’t know yet.

14 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t think there is anything wrong with some hope, but either way we just don’t know yet.

I agree, depends on the player or coach. A guy says a few things to the press and they are horrible without coaching a single game (Nick, Doug) then another hyped up coach says things to the press and he is gonna be the greatest coach ever ( chip) lol. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I agree, depends on the player or coach. A guy says a few things to the press and they are horrible without coaching a single game (Nick, Doug) then another hyped up coach says things to the press and he is gonna be the greatest coach ever ( chip) lol. 

The best talker (Chip) was the worst of the bunch. People need to let this thing play out, but I get it. The Sixers are out. The Flyers stunk, and the Phillies are plodding through another season of futility. All that’s left is hope for the Eagles. The off-season is just way too long. 

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

The best talker (Chip) was the worst of the bunch. People need to let this thing play out, but I get it. The Sixers are out. The Flyers stunk, and the Phillies are plodding through another season of futility. All that’s left is hope for the Eagles. The off-season is just way too long. 

Exactly, they added another game and it still makes for a long off season lol. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Exactly, they added another game and it still makes for a long off season lol. 

I’m actually looking forward to the return of the USFL. Not like that was so much better before though. 

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I’m actually looking forward to the return of the USFL. Not like that was so much better before though. 

They had real talent the first time around though .... I doubt they have the same talent therefore it will just be another failed attempt at football in the spring. People keep saying there is a market for spring football and I really don't think there is especially when the talent is crap. 

5 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

They had real talent the first time around though .... I doubt they have the same talent therefore it will just be another failed attempt at football in the spring. People keep saying there is a market for spring football and I really don't think there is especially when the talent is crap. 

The NFL should use it as a minor league and they should lift their ban on drafting younger players. Let the young guys declare, get drafted and play in the USFL. Overall what really killed the USFL the first time was they were trying to compete with the NFL. They didn’t have the pockets for it, but I’d watch some young future Eagles playing for a minor league Eagles team. 

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

The NFL should use it as a minor league and they should lift their ban on drafting younger players. Let the young guys declare, get drafted and play in the USFL. Overall what really killed the USFL the first time was they were trying to compete with the NFL. They didn’t have the pockets for it, but I’d watch some young future Eagles playing for a minor league Eagles team. 

The problem is there just isn't enough time to wait for guys to develop in the NFL or develop in another league for the NFL. These guys average like 3 yrs as a career in the NFL the way it is. Once in awhile you might get a guy to finally pull it together later in their career but, having 1 or 2 guys once in awhile isn't enough to dump money into a whole league for it. The NFL knows it and that's why they won't ever bother investing in another league, so that league will continue to fail.