What if Sirianni is the next Bill Walsh?

JP HOF

16 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Just way too soon to predict such things. Like others have mentioned how things fell apart for Doug after his coaches started to leave. I really like how things are going so far with Sirianni. The is no need to rush to any kind of judgments. The last time he was calling the plays things did not go well. He's probably going to need to find replacements for his OC and DC if things keep going the way that they are. Who even knows who will be even making those choices? Is it Howie or the coach? Doesn't even matter to me. just go win football games.

I think next year will tell us quite a bit. Both OC and DC will be looking at HC jobs and probably get them and whomever comes in at DC will have almost a whole new squad to teach with half the defense being on final years or rental status. We could go deep playoffs or further and I'd still be nervous about next year. nothing against Nick because I'm actually a fan and thought it was a better hiring than most because of his track record of new schemes annually with the colts. Kept hearing heat back saying it was Frank that did it. Colts have looked pretty predictable since Nick left 

20 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Just way too soon to predict such things. Like others have mentioned how things fell apart for Doug after his coaches started to leave. I really like how things are going so far with Sirianni. The is no need to rush to any kind of judgments. The last time he was calling the plays things did not go well. He's probably going to need to find replacements for his OC and DC if things keep going the way that they are. Who even knows who will be even making those choices? Is it Howie or the coach? Doesn't even matter to me. just go win football games.

Dude, the next Bill Walsh.  Sirianni will lead a dynasty with his offense that 

5 hours ago, JP HOF said:

Must not be many longterm fans here, or anywhere because I've seen noone in social media ever mention the obvious fact that this year's Birds offense more resembles Montana's 49ers than any team in history.

7 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

I think next year will tell us quite a bit. Both OC and DC will be looking at HC jobs and probably get them and whomever comes in at DC will have almost a whole new squad to teach with half the defense being on final years or rental status. We could go deep playoffs or further and I'd still be nervous about next year. nothing against Nick because I'm actually a fan and thought it was a better hiring than most because of his track record of new schemes annually with the colts. Kept hearing heat back saying it was Frank that did it. Colts have looked pretty predictable since Nick left 

Nick seems like a good football mind and he’s adaptable to whatever it takes to win football games. The players seem to love playing for him and he holds himself to the same accountability he holds to the players. He’s been way better than people thought he would be. Still we gotta see more before we come to any conclusions either way here. 

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

Nick seems like a good football mind and he’s adaptable to whatever it takes to win football games. The players seem to love playing for him and he holds himself to the same accountability he holds to the players. He’s been way better than people thought he would be. Still we gotta see more before we come to any conclusions either way here. 

Even last year you could see guys running open, but it wasn't getting delivered like it is this year. I think we may have a guy who adjust the offense as he goes. As eagle fans we arent used to that. Would like the screens to play less of a factor, but our offensive output has been the best we've seen in awhile .... And probably the most consistent team we've seen in longer. 

• Like 2

Just now, Shalodeep said:

Even last year you could see guys running open, but it wasn't getting delivered like it is this year. I think we may have a guy who adjust the offense as he goes. As eagle fans we arent used to that. Would like the screens to play less of a factor, but our offensive output has been the best we've seen in awhile .... And probably the most consistent team we've seen in longer. 

The consistency of the offense this year has been the most surprising. Seems like every play there’s at least two guys open. Maybe that was the case last year too, but there’s something to be said for trust in the player the quarterback is throwing to and the development of that quarterback. I mean Andy Reid is probably the best offensive mind the Eagles had as a coach and his offense always felt a bit choppy, but it’s not easy to look smooth when McNabb had to throw to some of the guys he was throwing to. There’s a bit of that here too. Just because Reagor is wide open doesn’t mean he’s A) where he was supposed to be or B) he’s going to catch the football. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

The consistency of the offense this year has been the most surprising.Seems like every play there’s at least two guys open. - Agreed

Maybe that was the case last year too, but there’s something to be said for trust in the player the quarterback is throwing to and the development of that quarterback. - I still have some doubts

I mean Andy Reid is probably the best offensive mind the Eagles had as a coach and his offense always felt a bit choppy, but it’s not easy to look smooth when McNabb had to throw to some of the guys he was throwing to. There’s a bit of that here too. Just because Reagor is wide open doesn’t mean he’s A) where he was supposed to be or B) he’s going to catch the football. 

Last night was the best test Hurts has passed this year.  A team got physical with them, ground and pound, and we had a tied game at the half.  Had to go put them away in the 4th quarter.

Hurts was erratic early, and was not feeling pressure from his blind side very well all night, and early was resorting to some bad tendencies with phantom pressure.  I will show you the all 22 of the first play of the game when it is up.  He could have stepped up into the left side of the pocket, but instead bailed right, into the pressure.

@EazyEaglez, here is the first play of the game I was talking about.

1 hour ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Right.  How he (and Howie) handles the inevitable loss of Steichen and Gannon will be a test.  Just look at the collapse in Indy after he left Reich...that feels alot like when Reich left Doug.  Staff chemistry is so big.

But the best coaches are able to develop and identify their replacements. It's why Doug ultimately struggled and it is why Andy has been such a long stay as one of the best HCs.

38 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But the best coaches are able to develop and identify their replacements. It's why Doug ultimately struggled and it is why Andy has been such a long stay as one of the best HCs.

In fairness to Doug I don't think he ever really got to pick his guys and when he did try too they fired him. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think its more complex than that, but I agree with your point.  I'd have to look, but it seems like Andy has tons of longevity in his ranks and has coached so many guys that he can almost always land replacements.  Just not sure Sirianni has that going for him yet.  It still remains that he has to find adequate replacements to continue to succeed, because Gannon and Steichen are goners.

• Like 2

Are some of you like this dating? We had a great first few dates. What if she is my wife???? Slow your roll...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

Last night was the best test Hurts has passed this year.  A team got physical with them, ground and pound, and we had a tied game at the half.  Had to go put them away in the 4th quarter.

Hurts was erratic early, and was not feeling pressure from his blind side very well all night, and early was resorting to some bad tendencies with phantom pressure.  I will show you the all 22 of the first play of the game when it is up.  He could have stepped up into the left side of the pocket, but instead bailed right, into the pressure.

• Like 1

I don't think you have to make ultimate conclusions but some of you folks clearly didn't see the niners during that time.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 2:10 AM, JP HOF said:

so I'll make my last point and move on down the road.

You keep saying that, yet, here you are again

1 hour ago, JP HOF said:

I don't think you have to make ultimate conclusions but some of you folks clearly didn't see the niners during that time.

2 hours ago, JP HOF said:

I'm older, saw those teams in the 80s. Walsh invented a whole new offense & those teams had all time LEGENDS in Montana & Rice and were a dynasty winning multiple Super Bowls.

This Eagles team hasn't won a playoff game yet.

The comparison is just stupid. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JP HOF said:

Watched the 49ers a lot back then, and the comparison isn’t a good one. First off the 49ers ran mostly out of a two back pro style offense. The Eagles run mostly 11 and 12 packages. Rodger Craig was on of the best receiver backs in football. Sanders has one catch in 8 games. Heck Tom Rathman would catch more passes. Rice and Brown are built nothing alike. Taylor and Smith do not run similar routes. Joe Montana and Jalen Hurts have completely different skill sets. Brent Jones and Dallas Goedert are also very different types of players. Dude with this comparison I’m not sure if you watched the 49ers. I mean you could argue maybe they’re closer to the Young/Owens 9ers maybe, but not really. By that point Walsh wasn’t even there. 

On 11/4/2022 at 10:35 AM, downundermike said:

On 11/4/2022 at 10:35 AM, downundermike said:

On this play Jalen clearly felt the pressure before Smith broke free, and was already moving away from him to make that throw. Also Jalen led them on a 18 play 91 yard drive for a touchdown in that series. I’ve read you defend your boy Wentz and blame everyone but him for just make horribly bad decisions on the field. From taking bad sack fumbles to throwing into triple coverage, you still have yet to admit you were dead wrong about that guy. Jalen Hurts is "erratic” in a game where he missed six passes. Wentz would miss wide open guys in the flat and you served up crickets. Of course this is the moment you will try and say what’s Wentz got to do with it right? The answer is simply your bs bias. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Arthur Jackson said:

What if I'm the next Cyril Connolly?

We’ll, what if you are, care to expound on that idiotic statement

2 hours ago, olsilverhair said:

We’ll, what if you are, care to expound on that idiotic statement

Who's "we'll? Gollum?

We are nitpicking Jalen Hurts for missing six passes and calling him shaky. Anyone watching the great Josh Allen today? How about the HoFer Aaron Rodgers and his red zone interceptions? Some of y’all wanted to give up a body part to have that guy be the Eagles quarterback this year. When will the Hurts hate end I wonder? 

• 1 year later...