Mailata vs. Dillard

GroundAttack

My most intriguing camp battle this camp. Really surprised that Ertz is still here. If he’s gone then Goedert is obviously the number one. The other corner spot opposite of Slay is open to but with our line finally healthy it should be among the tops in the league. The best player will and should win the LT spot but I would give Dillard another year to battle it out and show his potential. Either way I’m ok with whoever wins it but should be great to see how it plays out. 

• Like 1

My brain wants Dillard to win so that our first round pick was a great success, but my heart wants the guy who didn’t even know what American Football is until he was of drinking age to become the greatest lineman in Eagles history

• Like 3

I like Mailata's game and think he'll take a leap this year in talent. I feel like best case scenario for the team is if Dillard outplays him. That would mean Dillard is playing at a really high level, and Mailata is more versatile and can play the right side, which Dillard can't.

Whatever the case, I think the LT position will be good this year.

• Like 1

For all the talk about how raw Mailata is, at least he doesn't get plowed over every time he's bull rushed. A Mailata/Dickerson left side is enticing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, downundermike said:

As a WSU fan, team Dillard 

You grew up in Australia though you traitor!! 

• Haha 3

Big Jordy for me.

We breed em strong and tough down here, he'll make the job his own

• Like 1

Whoever wins the spot as full time starter at LT, I want to see a reverse called to the left against DAL where Mailata has the opportunity to blow up Jaylon Smith

28 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Whoever wins the spot as full time starter at LT, I want to see a reverse called to the left against DAL where Mailata has the opportunity to blow up Jaylon Smith

I would actually like to see him blow up Parsons

I just want one of them to play at a high level and lock down the position for the next 8+ years … I don’t really care which one that is.  

And our line may finally be healthy, but can they stay healthy?  That is the biggest question (other than who mans LT).  

This definitely is what I'm the most excited about

17 hours ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

My brain wants Dillard to win so that our first round pick was a great success, but my heart wants the guy who didn’t even know what American Football is until he was of drinking age to become the greatest lineman in Eagles history

I'm pretty much this as well. Also Mailata is 2 years younger

• Like 2

Mailata seems like a pretty nice dude. I'm rooting for him to win and hopefully Dillard can land a second rounder or so. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, time2rock said:

I just want one of them to play at a high level and lock down the position for the next 8+ years … I don’t really care which one that is.  

And our line may finally be healthy, but can they stay healthy?  That is the biggest question (other than who mans LT).  

That's my concern. Sure, everybody's healthy now. What's the over/under for which game the first starting lineman misses more than one game due to injury, 4.5 games?

By now, both Mailata's floor and ceiling are higher

I changed my mind

6 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

This definitely is what I'm the most excited about

I'm pretty much this as well. Also Mailata is 2 years younger

Screw Dillard. Mailata is officially my favorite eagle. It’s already his job, Dillard had his chance and fell on his face. 

1 minute ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

I changed my mind

Screw Dillard. Mailata is officially my favorite eagle. It’s already his job, Dillard had his chance and fell on his face. 

Did I miss something? What happened? Lol

2 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Did I miss something? What happened? Lol

I was rewatching those undiscovered documentaries on YouTube about his training to be in the nfl. I wish I had daughters so I could send them to him

• Haha 2

I have doubts about the mental toughness of Dillard to play in the NFL, but in a perfect world both Mialata and Dillard turn out to be successful. At some point Lane won’t be here anymore so if the Eagles could get both players to a level of great to elite then Dillard at LT and Mialata at RT would be a win/win. 

• Like 1

Love the Mialata story and rooting for him to win the LT job.  That would be one of best successes of developing young talents. 

On the other hand, also wish both Dillard and Mialata would find their respective role on the team.  Can't have enough quality OTs.

• Like 1

I hope Dillard is a better player than we've had the chance to see thus far but I honestly don't see this being much of a competition.  I think Mailata will be the starter at LT with little threat from Dillard.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Penn7980 said:

Love the Mialata story and rooting for him to win the LT job.  That would be one of best successes of developing young talents. 

On the other hand, also wish both Dillard and Mialata would find their respective role on the team.  Can't have enough quality OTs.

It's such an odd situation.  If Mailata ends up winning the job and reaching his potential, then Dillard losing out would be a total wash.  However, I don't want to excuse Howie from totally busting on yet another first round pick (one that he actually traded up for).  Part of me wishes Dillard would win this job outright, because I have no faith in him being able to take over at RT when Lane inevitably goes down to injury.  I'd rather have Mailata in the swing tackle position.  

Regardless, I guess it's not a terrible problem to have since there is a clear lack of talent at the tackle position around the league.  

On 7/12/2021 at 10:41 PM, Aerolithe_Lion said:

May the best man for the spot win it. There is talk that Dillard has turned the corner and is a new man. If that is true, and he becomes what he should be, he will win the spot. But if it's just talk, then it's not going to happen. It's worth watching.

• Like 2