Mailata vs. Dillard

GroundAttack

23 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

It’s been so long since we have witnessed Dillard actually do something other than receive a lot of negative press for getting owned in practice. Miles Sanders seems like the only player picked by the Eagles out of that draft for us or anyone else.

No doubt.  But there is still time for Dillard to redeem himself.  Not counting him out just yet.    I wouldn’t say I’m optimistic of his chances but  also recognize that it could happen (unlike those other earlier draft classes where those guys are done). 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, time2rock said:

No doubt.  But there is still time for Dillard to redeem himself.  Not counting him out just yet.    I wouldn’t say I’m optimistic of his chances but  also recognize that it could happen (unlike those other earlier draft classes where those guys are done). 

Honestly I hope you’re right, but judging by the Eagles move to restructure Johnson again it feels like there is only room for one guy to be the man and right now it seems like Mialata is winning the race. 

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Honestly I hope you’re right, but judging by the Eagles move to restructure Johnson again it feels like there is only room for one guy to be the man and right now it seems like Mialata is winning the race. 

Sure seems that way right now.  

I'm not going to blame Dillard because of Mailata's development. It's possible that had Dillard been available (healthy) last year, he could have gained a lot of experience over the course of the season. If I remember correctly, Eric Fisher, the first player taken in the 2013 draft (3 picks ahead of Lane Johnson), had a rocky beginning to his career. He continued to play and gain experience and eventually developed into a Pro Bowler. When Dillard started at LT as a rookie, he looked alright. When Peters returned, Dillard didn't really get another chance until he started in place of Lane at RT which was a disaster. 

I wonder what would have happened with his development and confidence if Peters' injury had been season ending and we kept Dillard there the rest of that season. Last year he was supposed to get that chance and got hurt in camp. He's struggled some in camp so far this year according to reports, but that should be expected after missing a whole season. In his absence, Mailata got his opportunity and ran with it. Mailata is legit. He's the real deal and only getting better. The preseason will help Dillard this year, but Mailata is simply the better prospect at this point. 

I hope Dillard shows well in the preseason and then maybe we can recoup some draft capital in a trade from a LT needy team.

To be honest I'm not that mad about the Dillard pick, he was a consensus top LT prospect. Sometimes those guys don't pan out, it happens.

It's picks like Reagor that drive me nuts, someone damn near universally ranked below Jefferson as a prospect, yet Howie pulls a Howie. Inexcusable.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

To be honest I'm not that mad about the Dillard pick, he was a consensus top LT prospect. Sometimes those guys don't pan out, it happens.

It's picks like Reagor that drive me nuts, someone damn near universally ranked below Jefferson as a prospect, yet Howie pulls a Howie. Inexcusable.

This, the scouting reports for Dillard and the reviews of the pick at the time make it clear Dillard was considered a legit good pick where we picked him, I have no problem with a sensible pick that doesn't pan out, it's picks like Marcus Smith, Reagor and trading out of 32 and then taking a back up tight end in 2018 (some of the players we could have taken at 32 just kill me).

The only thing about the Dillard pick is that it's a pattern with Howie that when was the last time that the Eagles took a pick that was better than a solid but unspectacular starter? When was the time he hit an absolute home run pick? 2012?  Wentz flamed out, Sanders is OK but there are young RB's all over the league I'd swap him for Tomorrow. I have high hopes for Smith because he was a phenomenon in college, but the last ten years Howie has an incredible talent for picking the bottom half guys in deep classes, his best case is too often the guy who plays OK but never looks like you'll be retiring his number in the early rounds and DB's in the seventh that he's forced to start because everyone else has spiderweb ligaments

• Like 3

(Dillard) At the time i didn't think it was the greatest pick, but i talked myself into it based off some stats and stoutland as our ol coach, but we have flat out failed to develop anybody we get so its hard to argue right and wrong from the 2nd hand perspective. I think it comes down to why arent any of these guys developing properly?

31 minutes ago, Skitoe said:

(Dillard) At the time i didn't think it was the greatest pick, but i talked myself into it based off some stats and stoutland as our ol coach, but we have flat out failed to develop anybody we get so its hard to argue right and wrong from the 2nd hand perspective. I think it comes down to why arent any of these guys developing properly?

They don't develop properly because they can't play.  Howie is horrible at drafting.  He should pull a George Castanza and do the opposite of what he thinks he should do.  Worst drafting GM in the league.

Surprised this thread I started almost a month ago is heating up. This is a great competition like I said. Just going off the TC practices and what I’ve been hearing Mailata is the runner up for now. 

6 hours ago, Skitoe said:

Mailata? They failed to develop anyone?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, brkmsn said:

... and eventually developed into a Pro Bowler.

I used to watch Pro Bowling on Wide World of Sports, back in the 70's and 80's. Oh wait, that's not what you were talking about, is it? :huh: 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I used to watch Pro Bowling on Wide World of Sports, back in the 70's and 80's. Oh wait, that's not what you were talking about, is it? :huh: 

I never understand how the ball starts on one end spins to the opposite then hits the pins coming back to the middle. Those Pro Bowlers are something else

On 8/6/2021 at 1:43 AM, EazyEaglez said:

["This is a guy we had ranked as one of the top 10 players in the draft," Howie Roseman said. "This was the best tackle in the draft."

In order to move up, the Eagles sent a first-round pick (No. 25 overall), a fourth-round pick (No. 127 overall), and a sixth-round pick (No. 197 overall) to the Baltimore Ravens in exchange for the 22nd overall pick which was used on the 6-5, 310-pound first-team All-Pac-12 tackle.]

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/eagles-sign-entire-2019-draft-class-and-undrafted-free-agents

I just wanted to post this for anyone who was looking to absolve Roseman from making the Dillard pick. He clearly thought highly of the player. So much that he moved up to get a guy who he thought was a top ten talent. Ironically the guy fell to the twenties and there was no reports as to why at the time. I guess not everyone thought this dude was a top ten talent. 

You bet no lineman gets drafted without Stouts input. And if Stout comes to you and says this guy is good, wouldn't you try too?

OL is not a position where players aren't getting coached up. If Stoutland can't straighten a player out, they are most likely never going to become anything more than what they are. 

Tackles are worth keeping. Dillard will get another chance to become a starter or at least backup at LT.  

Best case scenario is your backup tackle can play both sides but this league is about quality depth at all positions. Maybe Mialata becomes the guy who can play RT if Lane gets injured and Dillard plays well at LT?

One thing is for sure after the last few years we have plenty of backup linemen who have started one or more games.

I just hope we get 10 healthy O-lineman for a season. That would be a welcome change.

On 8/7/2021 at 4:08 AM, Infam said:

You bet no lineman gets drafted without Stouts input. And if Stout comes to you and says this guy is good, wouldn't you try too?

Not sure in Stoutland supported the pick or not, if he did I'd give him a piece of advice, be leery of Pac-12 players, the competition doesn't compare to SEC players.  

On 8/5/2021 at 7:43 PM, EazyEaglez said:

[In order to move up, the Eagles sent a first-round pick (No. 25 overall), a fourth-round pick (No. 127 overall), and a sixth-round pick (No. 197 overall) to the Baltimore Ravens in exchange for the 22nd overall pick

Here's another example of Howie not valuing draft picks, then look at the boatload of picks we gave to move up 6 spots to draft Wentz, The No. 8 pick in 2016, the No. 77 pick (third round) in 2016, the No. 100 pick (fourth round) in 2016, a 2017 first-rounder and a 2018 second-rounder.

2 hours ago, EagleVA said:

Not sure in Stoutland supported the pick or not, if he did I'd give him a piece of advice, be leery of Pac-12 players, the competition doesn't compare to SEC players.  

Seumalo and Herbig are both Pac-12 players. There are plenty of successful offensive lineman from the Pac-12 around the NFL. Honestly, it's pretty stupid to red-flag a player because of the conference if his measurables are what you are looking for in a prospect. Teams weren't afraid to pick Sewell and Vera-Tucker in this year's first round. 

On 8/6/2021 at 10:18 AM, GroundAttack said:

Surprised this thread I started almost a month ago is heating up. This is a great competition like I said. Just going off the TC practices and what I’ve been hearing Mailata is the runner up for now. 

Mailata the runner up?  No, every report so far has been that he has been running away with it.

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

Seumalo and Herbig are both Pac-12 players. 

And neither is worth a damn as far as I'm concerned.

Also, I don't red-flag anyone because of their conference, I just take it into consideration. 

As far as Dillard's measurables go, I thought they fell short, I like 325+, mobile, and strong, Dillard didn't have the size nor strength for my liking.

So I played the Master of the Draft the year Dillard came out, I read his profile and started to pick him but decided not to because he played in the PAC-12, it's too hard to get a good read on those guys because of the competition.

Let see how Sewell fairs, he has the size and strength and I believe the mobility......but he played in the PAC-12.

On 8/6/2021 at 7:18 AM, GroundAttack said:

Nope.  Not even competitive.  Mailata is ahead by miles.

4 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I don't want to hear anything about ratings, Matt McCoy had a high rathing one year also, Herbig didn't stand out to me and Seumalo is the weakest link on the OL

3 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

I don't want to hear anything about ratings, Matt McCoy had a high rathing one year also, Herbig didn't stand out to me and Seumalo is the weakest link on the OL

The last thing I posted was a video (not ratings). For the record, it's not CGI. 

On 8/6/2021 at 10:18 AM, GroundAttack said:

Over a month ago nothing was happening. I wrote back then the best case scenario is that both players are good so we won’t need to restructure Lane, and one can be the LT while the other is the RT. Since then Lane has been restructured, and Mialata seems to be clearly winning the battle. Oh well. 

16 hours ago, brkmsn said:

The last thing I posted was a video (not ratings). For the record, it's not CGI. 

I'll give it to you, in the plays shown he looked good, but how many offenive plays are there in a game, then when you mutily that by 16 you have a very small sample size.