Mailata vs. Dillard

GroundAttack

22 hours ago, Talonblood said:

May the best man for the spot win it. There is talk that Dillard has turned the corner and is a new man. If that is true, and he becomes what he should be, he will win the spot. But if it's just talk, then it's not going to happen. It's worth watching.

Best man win sounds good, but I prefer Dillard at the LT spot.  Dillard was the first round pick and has the lateral quickness, or did at the combine.  The 40 time, the 10 split, the 3 cp me. the 20  shuttle, all excellent times.  And LT is where you want to put a big enough guy who isn't going to get run around by their great edger. 

As a player, a project type,  versatile, can do things that others can't do, I like Mailata.  Mailata is one I'd want to sign, get under contract, for years.  But I'm one who wants to have players who can do things others can't do.  Most teams just want dull and generic.   Mailata - Tight End.  Mailata - Fullback.  Mailata - because of the rugby background, can carry the ball, catch a pass, and be difficult to tackle at 350 pounds.  Mailatas height and weight seem like right tackle more than left tackle.  The Eagles have a RT.   I'd pay Mailata the money, as a giant Taysom Hill who plays in many spots but is not a starter. 

• Like 1

Two things people need to acknowledge:

1. If Mailata wins the job, it means we officially need a RT.  Scratch off a first or second pick from one of the next two drafts to fill that need.

2. If Dillard wins the job, there is a chance Mailata steps in as a stud RT of the future.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, eagle45 said:

1. If Mailata wins the job, it means we officially need a RT.  Scratch off a first or second pick from one of the next two drafts to fill that need.

2. If Dillard wins the job, there is a chance Mailata steps in as a stud RT of the future.

Obviously the 2nd scenario would be best overall.  But if the first one comes to fruition, then 2022 would seem like a good time to draft an OT high considering we'll have (potentially) three 1st rd picks (unless Hurts craps the bed and we need to use some of that draft ammo to get a QB ... hopefully that isn't the case ... would love for him to play his way into becoming the future at the position and using those picks to load up on young talent at positions in need of top talent ... CB, DE, etc).   

Dillard has all the pressure in this scenario.  1st round pick, had trouble adjusting to the NFL and struggled mentally in his rookie season, labeled as "soft", lost year due to injury, high expectations, etc.  And dealing with the fact that most people think Mailata is better.  

More than anything, Dillard has to prove his mental toughness and show he has a passion to play.  To date, I haven't seen either yet.  He talked a good game during OTAs, but that's al that was...talk.  We'll see soon.

17 hours ago, EaglesAddict said:

Dillard has all the pressure in this scenario.  1st round pick, had trouble adjusting to the NFL and struggled mentally in his rookie season, labeled as "soft", lost year due to injury, high expectations, etc.  And dealing with the fact that most people think Mailata is better.  

That's one way of looking at it yeah. But he's had a year out now and most people think that Mailata is going to be the starter. So in some ways Dillard has nothing to lose. He's 2 years removed from being a first round pick. And he's going in to the year as the under dog. 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 8:02 PM, eagle45 said:

Dillard is not the stud RT of the future, so, agree there.

It's possible that the great veteran oliners the Eagles have could stay put for a while.

On 7/13/2021 at 8:15 AM, Alphagrand said:

Whoever wins the spot as full time starter at LT, I want to see a reverse called to the left against DAL where Mailata has the opportunity to blow up Jaylon Smith

I'd enjoy seeing any Cowboys player blown up.

However, I must say that Jaylon Smith is at the bottom of my list. He seems like a genuinely good guy and I hate that he's on the Cowboys.

Just my not so humble opinion, but I say switch Mailata to the other side while he's still young, and put Dillard where he belongs. Then we have two anchors for many years to come.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Big___Al said:

Just my not so humble opinion, but I say switch Mailata to the other side while he's still young, and put Dillard where he belongs. Then we have two anchors for many years to come.

I think if Dillard shows in camp that he's the highly rated LT that he was coming out of college then absolutely. Mailata can then be the swing tackle and move across to RT in the medium to long term.

• Like 1

If this is true, it appears the battle may be over.

https://heavy.com/sports/philadelphia-eagles/jordan-mailata-new-contract/?fbclid=IwAR1ykUmFGp2oGvp_JVwGz7nRN5t0UgGr-GHb3dM6Pjee8k7fjLdXS6VesIQ

Eagles Youngster Ready to Ink $100M Deal:

• Updated Jul 25, 2021 at 12:58pm

Jordan Mailata

It seems odd to predict the future contract of a player who is fighting for a starting job, but the British media loves stirring the pot. And Jordan Mailata – the promising young left tackle for the Philadelphia Eagles – is their new 6-foot-8, 346-pound mixing bowl.

The Daily Telegraph believes Mailata is about to join Ben Simmons, Jason Day, Patty Mills as one of "Australia’s highest-paid sportspeople” after his breakout 2020 campaign. The former Aussie rugby star was impressive in 10 starts last season filling in for injured left tackle Andre Dillard. Now it appears that eye-opening tryout could net Mailata up to $100 million, or $20 million per year.

On 7/25/2021 at 3:27 AM, Big___Al said:

Yeah, and Lane Johnson will have something to say about that.

3 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

If this is true, it appears the battle may be over.

https://heavy.com/sports/philadelphia-eagles/jordan-mailata-new-contract/?fbclid=IwAR1ykUmFGp2oGvp_JVwGz7nRN5t0UgGr-GHb3dM6Pjee8k7fjLdXS6VesIQ

Eagles Youngster Ready to Ink $100M Deal:

• Updated Jul 25, 2021 at 12:58pm

Jordan Mailata

It seems odd to predict the future contract of a player who is fighting for a starting job, but the British media loves stirring the pot. And Jordan Mailata – the promising young left tackle for the Philadelphia Eagles – is their new 6-foot-8, 346-pound mixing bowl.

The Daily Telegraph believes Mailata is about to join Ben Simmons, Jason Day, Patty Mills as one of "Australia’s highest-paid sportspeople” after his breakout 2020 campaign. The former Aussie rugby star was impressive in 10 starts last season filling in for injured left tackle Andre Dillard. Now it appears that eye-opening tryout could net Mailata up to $100 million, or $20 million per year.

Yeah, and Lane Johnson will have something to say about that.

That comes off as speculation instead of reporting.  I highly doubt they are negotiating a deal that large with him right now.  If they were going to try to extend him now it would probably be around the $12M-$14M range that they would try to get him on.  $20M per year would have him paid as one of the highest paid tackles in the league.  That isn't going to be something he will be offered unless he comes out this season and kills it.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RememberTheKoy said:

That comes off as speculation instead of reporting.  I highly doubt they are negotiating a deal that large with him right now.  If they were going to try to extend him now it would probably be around the $12M-$14M range that they would try to get him on.  $20M per year would have him paid as one of the highest paid tackles in the league.  That isn't going to be something he will be offered unless he comes out this season and kills it.  

True. I believe that if he wins the Job in Camp, his agent will want to get a new deal. And if they do it now, I agree it won't be 20 million just yet. I guess we shall see.

Win-win situation for the Eagles here, imo.  If the competition is close then we have a solid starter and solid backup swing tackle for years to come. 

• Like 1

A $100m deal would be a huge mistake.

You want to give a completely unproven player with injury concerns a massive, massive deal just to save...what...a few million per year under what you'd have to pay at the end of the year if he exceeds expectations, starts 16 games, and looks like a top LT?  Best case scenario, you save a few million under market, still nothing huge, worst case scenario, you get yet another albatross Howie deal.

The guy has literally finished every year he's been in the NFL on IR and still has a lot to learn.

There is a reason that below average, average, and elite players alike generally get disgruntled and don't like to play out the last year of their contracts...overall, the house usually wins and the player signs a smaller contract.

Unless we start dealing with discontent, let everyone play out their deals.  It's cheaper.

I'll be watching this one. I bet they get into a fight along the way, too. Should be intense between those two.

1 hour ago, Talonblood said:

I'll be watching this one. I bet they get into a fight along the way, too. Should be intense between those two.

Not sure about that though I would love Mailata to get that fire and fight! I don't think either are the kind to get in to a fight to be honest.

23 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Not sure about that though I would love Mailata to get that fire and fight! I don't think either are the kind to get in to a fight to be honest.

On a side note, I read this today:

"Andre Dillard got the first first-team reps at left tackle and Jordan Mailata also rotated in."
Dillard gets 1st team reps

• Like 1

In  looking at the lines above, it seems like there's plenty of agreement to get rid of the old/expensive heads right now. That would mean Johnson, Brooks, Cox, Barnett, yes and even Graham.  Going downhill fast, and salaries are escalating. We have or could acquire young talent.

On 7/29/2021 at 8:28 AM, Talonblood said:

On a side note, I read this today:

"Andre Dillard got the first first-team reps at left tackle and Jordan Mailata also rotated in."
Dillard gets 1st team reps

It's going to be an interesting battle. I think many assume Mailata will be given most first team reps but let's not forget Dillard was going to be the starting LT until he got hurt in TC last year. 

• Like 1

Since Australian news is reporting it, These numbers are Australian Dollars!!! Need to take at least 30% off to be realistic, if he does workout.

The FO needs to extend Mailata asap.  Dillard isn't the guy and they know that now after what Barnett and Sweat did to him yesterday.  The biggest jump in performance is from year 1 to 2.  No improvement for Dillard.  I bet they are preparing an offer for Mailata right now.  Need to try and sign him before the start of the season.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

It's going to be an interesting battle. I think many assume Mailata will be given most first team reps but let's not forget Dillard was going to be the starting LT until he got hurt in TC last year. 

He is supposed to be a "changed man" now. We'll see. Actions will prove or disprove it.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

He is supposed to be a "changed man" now. We'll see. Actions will prove or disprove it.

Oh I completely agree. He's got to go out there and prove it. 

• Like 2