Mailata vs. Dillard

GroundAttack

3 hours ago, Dwide Schrude said:

I think a 3 year contract extension would make the most sense for both Eagles & Mailata right now. 

The way things are playing out right now you are probably right. The way it seems to be going he's only going to continue to improve. 

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The way things are playing out right now you are probably right. The way it seems to be going he's only going to continue to improve. 

Yea it could potentially even become a bargain. I’d even say a 2 year contract makes sense as well. I like Mailata and trajectory he’s on but he’s still a very risky player to bet on long term. If come 2023/2024/2025 he's proven to be a capable starter then lock him into a long term contract & he’d only be 27 at the oldest. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dwide Schrude said:

Yea it could potentially even become a bargain. I’d even say a 2 year contract makes sense as well. I like Mailata and trajectory he’s on but he’s still a very risky player to bet on long term. If come 2023/2024/2025 he's proven to be a capable starter then lock him into a long term contract & he’d only be 27 at the oldest. 

I think if they are going to lock him down they should do so long term. Tie him down long term and that may help reduce the year on year cap hit? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think if they are going to lock him down they should do so long term. Tie him down long term and that may help reduce the year on year cap hit? 

True. Would depend on the contract specifics, like some voidable years in case he regresses. Mailata still has very limited football experience, and I would say is still a project. I’m skeptical of long term contract just because of that. With a 2-3 year deal You can still see this project out without the worry of being tied to him for too long if he does regress or only becomes low end starter. I like his odds with Stoutland + learning/learned from likes of Kelce, JP, Lane, and Brooks. If you sign him thru 2024, and say by 2023 he continues to shine, give him that long term extension. If not you have an easy clean out to start fresh and be back in the LT market. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dwide Schrude said:

True. Would depend on the contract specifics, like some voidable years in case he regresses. Mailata still has very limited football experience, and I would say is still a project. I’m skeptical of long term contract just because of that. With a 2-3 year deal You can still see this project out without the worry of being tied to him for too long if he does regress or only becomes low end starter. I like his odds with Stoutland + learning/learned from likes of Kelce, JP, Lane, and Brooks. If you sign him thru 2024, and say by 2023 he continues to shine, give him that long term extension. If not you have an easy clean out to start fresh and be back in the LT market. 

He's beating out US college players now, he's pancaking vets like Graham in practice, you don't hedge your bets on starting left tackles you lock him up for as long as you can, in the vanishingly small chance he regresses from now you have multiple drafts to get a new guy on rookie salary.

Mailata wasn't an unknown quantity in the 2018 draft, the only question was which team took the flyer first, given where he is now if you try and low ball or a two year prove it his agent will get calls from other teams if he plays hardball.

4 hours ago, Dwide Schrude said:

If this was a game I’d say give him five years and enjoy the bargain.

But that’s not how it works. If a player plays well he will demand more money anyways. So long contracts are pretty pointless now in my opinion.

One year prove it or three - two years to play on and a third to be able to trade a guy if you can’t agree on a new contract.

Man I thought the 2014 and 2017 drafts were bad but 2019 might just take the cake. Dillard, Sanders, JJAW, Shareef Miller and Thorson.  Just Brutal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Infam said:

If this was a game I’d say give him five years and enjoy the bargain.

But that’s not how it works. If a player plays well he will demand more money anyways. So long contracts are pretty pointless now in my opinion.

One year prove it or three - two years to play on and a third to be able to trade a guy if you can’t agree on a new contract.

I'd agree if Mailata were playing some other positions but Left Tackle is a foundation stone, a good one can anchor your line for 10-15 years and decent ones always have a market.

15 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I'd agree if Mailata were playing some other positions but Left Tackle is a foundation stone, a good one can anchor your line for 10-15 years and decent ones always have a market.

Not saying they shouldn’t keep him.

But why sign him to five years if you have to give him more money anyways if he plays good? You get the disadvantages of a long contract without the benefits.

1 hour ago, manz2821 said:

Man I thought the 2014 and 2017 drafts were bad but 2019 might just take the cake. Dillard, Sanders, JJAW, Shareef Miller and Thorson.  Just Brutal.

I don't know if it'll be worse than 2011 or 2007.  As it stands now, Sanders was a pretty good pick (whether it becomes really good or not will depend on how he looks this year and next).  His rookie year the pick looked to have been a great one, but he regressed in year 2.  If Dillard turns into a solid OT then the class becomes acceptable.  We only hit on 1 player in each of those other drafts (2011 - Kelce, 2007 - Celek).

1185673753_2011draft.PNG.5ad08e984e209759cbed12de2c9c7fe7.PNG

2008370101_2007Draft.PNG.554447ec5f277457b1128bec17915d61.PNG

13 hours ago, weko said:

They should be rushing a contract extension for Mailata before the start of the season.  He's the starter at LT for the foreseeable future.  It will cost them more the longer they wait.  I wonder if the latest restructures are to accommodate a sizeable Mailata contract coming soon

They've been burned by injuries after giving a contract based on future promises

39 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

They've been burned by injuries after giving a contract based on future promises

I'm not sure what you mean by future promises.  Mailata is by far our best LT and that position is the 2nd most important in the NFL.  He has shown improvement over two seasons and is at least average if not good.  We don't yet know his ceiling but his floor is decent competent.  There is always demand for that in this league at that position.  You can't trade for or sign as a free agent a LT.  You have to draft them.  We don't have anyone else that can play the position with the exception of the guy from Indy who is hurt, maybe Clark, but he is more of a swing tackle type, not a building block.  The key is how much and how long.  Mailata is playing for peanuts and i would think might jump at a the chance for lifetime financial security. Howie will try to low ball him most probably at this time in the contract cycle.  Hopefully Mailata and his agent don't balk and the offer isn't too low and a deal could make sense for both parties.  

3 hours ago, manz2821 said:

2020 might tell 2019 to hold its beer.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, weko said:

I'm not sure what you mean by future promises.  Mailata is by far our best LT and that position is the 2nd most important in the NFL.  He has shown improvement over two seasons and is at least average if not good.  We don't yet know his ceiling but his floor is decent competent.  There is always demand for that in this league at that position.  You can't trade for or sign as a free agent a LT.  You have to draft them.  We don't have anyone else that can play the position with the exception of the guy from Indy who is hurt, maybe Clark, but he is more of a swing tackle type, not a building block.  The key is how much and how long.  Mailata is playing for peanuts and i would think might jump at a the chance for lifetime financial security. Howie will try to low ball him most probably at this time in the contract cycle.  Hopefully Mailata and his agent don't balk and the offer isn't too low and a deal could make sense for both parties.  

I think it would be a horrendous idea to extend Mailata right now.

For what?  To save 2-3m per year?  Who cares? 

Think of how much better off we'd be if every single player on this team was allowed to play into the last year of their contracts.  

Mailata has finished every single year of his career on IR.  He has also yet to prove that he can handle speed rushers.  I'd much rather lose the bargain and pay him an extra 2-3 per year than be on the hook for a $100+m deal for a LT who hits IR again with back issues or proves that he should be a RT because he can't protect the blind side.

4 hours ago, time2rock said:

I don't know if it'll be worse than 2011 or 2007.  As it stands now, Sanders was a pretty good pick (whether it becomes really good or not will depend on how he looks this year and next).  His rookie year the pick looked to have been a great one, but he regressed in year 2.  If Dillard turns into a solid OT then the class becomes acceptable.  We only hit on 1 player in each of those other drafts (2011 - Kelce, 2007 - Celek).

Oh man. Some rough names listed. Kelce and Celek were the saving graces from those drafts. I thought Bradley was decent before his injury. My fav is Tony Hunt though. I think he broke a huge run for a TD in preseason and the old TATE just went ballistic about his potential. Then there was Brian Rolle and his machine gun celebration. Or baby Thor who was only drafted as he shared DNA with Clay. Nothing against Kolb though. He did get us a 2nd and crazy DRC. Good times 🙂

• Like 3

5 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Think of how much better off we'd be if every single player on this team was allowed to play into the last year of their contracts.  

Mailata has finished every single year of his career on IR.  He has also yet to prove that he can handle speed rushers.  I'd much rather lose the bargain and pay him an extra 2-3 per year than be on the hook for a $100+m deal for a LT who hits IR again with back issues or proves that he should be a RT because he can't protect the blind side.

Who's talking 100 mil?  That article?  That's for clicks.  Ignore that.  We don't have anyone else to play the position.  Dillard is a complete bust and should be waived unless some team offer a 7th round pick.  The Indy guy is a back up swing tackle.  Toth is being tried on the left side.  When i say we don't have anyone else, I really mean we don't have anyone else that can suit up and play.  Hopefully they can find a number for Mailata on a 2 or 3 year deal that makes sense for both sides.  What number it that?  Not sure how his agent is advising him and if he's patient to wait to get paid.  Maybe 7-8 mil a year for 2 years?  25 for 3?  He's worth that to us with Dillard a complete wash out.

7 hours ago, eagle45 said:

He can't protect the blind side? After 1 week of camp he's starting to separate himself from Dillard. If it continues on this pace he will be the starting LT. 

He won't get a new deal until he wins the Job. 2-3 Yrs sounds right. After that he will get the 100 million from us or somewhere else. 

1 hour ago, jsdarkstar said:

He can't protect the blind side? After 1 week of camp he's starting to separate himself from Dillard. If it continues on this pace he will be the starting LT. 

He won't get a new deal until he wins the Job. 2-3 Yrs sounds right. After that he will get the 100 million from us or somewhere else. 

I'm not saying he can't...just that we don't know that he can.  

If he turns into a pro-bowl LT, which is possible, he's going to sit out until he gets money befitting that status.  There is no free lunch and we aren't getting him for some huge multi million $ discount.

If we lock him up on a big deal now, then there could be a multi million $ sunk cost on a player that can't get the job done.  

The NFL has shown time and time again that, averaged out over all player transactions, it's better to extend later rather than sooner.

On 8/3/2021 at 5:09 PM, Mike030270 said:

I was expecting/hoping it to be a closer battle but it's still very early to declare an outright winner

Dude, it's over. Mailata it is and it's not even close.

I doubt Mailata is in any hurry to play under another O-line coach. I don't think the Eagles will have a problem signing him whenever the time comes. 

11 hours ago, weko said:

Who's talking 100 mil?  That article?  That's for clicks.  Ignore that.  We don't have anyone else to play the position.  Dillard is a complete bust and should be waived unless some team offer a 7th round pick.  The Indy guy is a back up swing tackle.  Toth is being tried on the left side.  When i say we don't have anyone else, I really mean we don't have anyone else that can suit up and play.  Hopefully they can find a number for Mailata on a 2 or 3 year deal that makes sense for both sides.  What number it that?  Not sure how his agent is advising him and if he's patient to wait to get paid.  Maybe 7-8 mil a year for 2 years?  25 for 3?  He's worth that to us with Dillard a complete wash out.

PFF rates him as good as Riley Reiff and Eric Fisher right now, so my guess would be the Eagles would pitch $8mill as a good offer and they'll settle somewhere around 8.5 with escalators for Pro Bowl or All Pro.

On 8/4/2021 at 12:38 PM, time2rock said:

Yeah it’s crazy Kelce is still playing with Sanders right now. Nasty Nate shout out! 😂🤣😂 I feel like these drafts are actually better though. Dion Lewis played pretty well for his stint with the Pats, and Kelce is an HOF center. At least Stewart Bradley was an acceptable linebacker until he got hurt and Brent Celek is an all time Eagle great. Heck even Kevin Kolb got the Eagles a 2nd round pick and a corner based off potential. I don’t think Miles Sanders will have an HOF level career to match Kelce. Heck I’m doubting he meets even Celek status at this point. Dillard looking like a solid NFL player is really hard to see as he’s basically getting beat out by a guy who just learned how to play football. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Yeah it’s crazy Kelce is still playing with Sanders right now. Nasty Nate shout out! 😂🤣😂 I feel like these drafts are actually better though. Dion Lewis played pretty well for his stint with the Pats, and Kelce is an HOF center. At least Stewart Bradley was an acceptable linebacker until he got hurt and Brent Celek is an all time Eagle great. Heck even Kevin Kolb got the Eagles a 2nd round pick and a corner based off potential. I don’t think Miles Sanders will have an HOF level career to match Kelce. Heck I’m doubting he meets even Celek status at this point. Dillard looking like a solid NFL player is really hard to see as he’s basically getting beat out by a guy who just learned how to play football. 

Yeah I get Lewis actually turning into a decent football player when with other teams.  I was referring specifically to what they contributed here since we used the draft capital to acquire them.  

7 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Yeah I get Lewis actually turning into a decent football player when with other teams.  I was referring specifically to what they contributed here since we used the draft capital to acquire them.  

It’s been so long since we have witnessed Dillard actually do something other than receive a lot of negative press for getting owned in practice. Miles Sanders seems like the only player picked by the Eagles out of that draft for us or anyone else.

["This is a guy we had ranked as one of the top 10 players in the draft," Howie Roseman said. "This was the best tackle in the draft."

In order to move up, the Eagles sent a first-round pick (No. 25 overall), a fourth-round pick (No. 127 overall), and a sixth-round pick (No. 197 overall) to the Baltimore Ravens in exchange for the 22nd overall pick which was used on the 6-5, 310-pound first-team All-Pac-12 tackle.]

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/eagles-sign-entire-2019-draft-class-and-undrafted-free-agents

I just wanted to post this for anyone who was looking to absolve Roseman from making the Dillard pick. He clearly thought highly of the player. So much that he moved up to get a guy who he thought was a top ten talent. Ironically the guy fell to the twenties and there was no reports as to why at the time. I guess not everyone thought this dude was a top ten talent. 

• Haha 1