Kenny Pickett (Pittsburgh QB) -- DRAFTED BY PITTSBURGH #20

The Blackfish

Todd McShay in his latest rankings now has him as the #1 QB and top 15 prospect.

Consensus in the draft community is forming around Pickett as the 1st QB off the board.

If he finishes the year strong and does well in the pre-draft process, he will put himself in #1 overall pick contention.

37 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Todd McShay in his latest rankings now has him as the #1 QB and top 15 prospect.

Consensus in the draft community is forming around Pickett as the 1st QB off the board.

If he finishes the year strong and does well in the pre-draft process, he will put himself in #1 overall pick contention.

I hope he accepts a Senior Bowl invite.

• 2 weeks later...

After the Jalen Hurts total fail in the Giants game, I am all for taking Pickett in the first round.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CouchKing said:

After the Jalen Hurts total fail in the Giants game, I am all for taking Pickett in the first round.

He will be LONG gone by the time they pick.

5 hours ago, T-1000 said:

He will be LONG gone by the time they pick.

I don’t know about that but anything is possible. Even in a weak QB class teams are gonna reach for one. Can’t see more than 2 going in the top 10 and we’re picking at 9 and 10 for the moment.

I know this isn't popular but I'm just still not there with him. I see a good solid player, a player who is pro ready but not a legit star. That's not to say he can't be, look at Mac Jones! Many said he was going to be an OK pro but not top level and right now he's far and away the best rookie QB from this years class. But that's also not to say every player of that similar ilk will be Mac Jones. 

49 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

No thanks! I rather give hurts another year and go after Bryce young next year

Or Stroud yeah for sure. 

15 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

No thanks! I rather give hurts another year and go after Bryce young next year

14 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Or Stroud yeah for sure. 

The problem with that is that you don’t know in what position you’ll be. Are we picking in the top 5 or in the 20’s?

If you have the opportunity now to get a QB you really like, you better get him.

Both Stroud and Young may look good now but so did Howell and Rattler last year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ray75 said:

The problem with that is that you don’t know in what position you’ll be. Are we picking in the top 5 or in the 20’s?

If you have the opportunity now to get a QB you really want, you better get him.

Both Stroud and Bryce may look good now but so did Howell and Rattler last year.

I don't disagree with you here bud. But given I'm not a huge fan of this draft class I'd rather roll the dice and wait. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ray75 said:

If you have the opportunity now to get a QB you really want, you better get him.

Both Stroud and Bryce may look good now but so did Howell and Rattler last year.

Not fully out on Rattler next year. Clearly Lincoln Riley had one foot out the door. Was never sold on Howell.

Stroud is overrated and Bryce young the real deal. 

I agree with your point but drafting a QB high just because he is the best in a weak class is how you end up with Jared Goff and Wentz. Don’t reach and draft best available player 

Like this guy if we DO go QB. I would prefer to wait until the '23 draft(Young or Stroud) and use this nice draft we have to plug the holes. I would be fine taking Wilson or Olave with our 2nd round 1 pick and replacing Reagor who doesn't seem to care if he drops balls or not according to his interview after the game. But son, dropping balls are for puberty, not the NFL. 

BTW if he falls far, I would have NP picking up the QB from Coastal Carolina (Grayson McCall) with a later pick

• Like 1

I'm not wasting another year of DeVonta's development and elite level O-line play on Hurts.

Waiting for greener pastures in 2023 is a fools errand. Either trade for a QB or draft the best one available.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

I'm not wasting another year of DeVonta's development and elite level O-line play on Hurts.

Waiting for greener pastures in 2023 is a fools errand. Either trade for a QB or draft the best one available.

Exactly!

Although the class is not top notch, you can’t tell me there isn’t a QB in there that can run the offense Sirianni envisioned for the Eagles better than Hurts.

I love Hurts’s intangibles but if you have to tailor an entire offense to the skill set of your QB by running the ball 60 or 70 % of the time to be even effective, something’s wrong and we haven’t even talked about it being sustainable for the long haul. Hurts needs to show me he can win games with his arm instead of his feet or a dominant run game.

If he can do that for the remainder of the season, I might jump back on the bandwagon. For now I’m leaning towards Jalen being a one year project for the Eagles and Sirianni finding a better fit at QB for this offense this offseason.

20 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Although the class is not top notch, you can’t tell me there isn’t a QB in there that can run the offense Sirianni envisioned for the Eagles better than Hurts.

Over half of the league is better than Hurts though bud...

3 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

Yep. They either need to go all in on Hurts and build a ridiculous team around with him with a system to match his skill set, or emphatically address the QB position with a high draft pick or trade for Watson/Wilson. This is/was the one year tryout for Hurts and right now it's not looking like he earned the opportunity to move forward as QB1. Giving him a second tryout year and hoping you might get a stud QB in 2023 is a foolish approach for the franchise. They didn't accumulate three first round picks in 2022 to wait until 2023.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T-1000 said:

Yep. They either need to go all in on Hurts and build a ridiculous team around with him with a system to match his skill set, or emphatically address the QB position with a high draft pick or trade for Watson/Wilson. This is/was the one year tryout for Hurts and right now it's not looking like he earned the opportunity to move forward as QB1. Giving him a second tryout year and hoping you might get a stud QB in 2023 is a foolish approach for the franchise. They didn't accumulate three first round picks in 2022 to wait until 2023.

Just putting this out there but they can trade one of those 1st this year for multiple 2023 picks.  Still get 2 first rounders this year and load up for 2023 as well.  Might be better for 2022 cap and would allow them to build more pieces for the future QB.  This team still has a lot of holes.

2 hours ago, proveagle said:

Just putting this out there but they can trade one of those 1st this year for multiple 2023 picks.  Still get 2 first rounders this year and load up for 2023 as well.  Might be better for 2022 cap and would allow them to build more pieces for the future QB.  This team still has a lot of holes.

So you want them to essentially punt on 2022 after missing the playoffs in 2020 and likely missing this year ultimately. It's not going to happen. Howie didn't load up with three first round picks to take half measures and keep kicking the can down the road.

9 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Over half of the league is better than Hurts though bud...

True but it’s not just about being better, it’s about fit in a Sirianni offense. 

I for one  hate the idea of having to watch a tailored to your QB’s skill set offense for the next couple of years. Even if it’s succesful. Eventually defenses will figure it out and then you come to the conclusion your QB can’t win you games with his arm if the run heavy game plan isn’t succesful.

Very eager to see how the real Sirianni offense looks like but everything is pointing to Hurts not being able to run it.

For the record; I still hope Hurts figures it out and proves he’s the right guy for the job.

Pickett is the most similar QB over any in this draft to what Nick and the Colts have coached in the Frank scheme. (Luck, Brissett, Rivers, now Wentz)

The fact that Howie has been to 3 of Pickett;s games in person this year says a lot. 

Also if Lurie/Howie want a "passing" offense then they need a QB who is waiting to the last sec to take off and run. A QB who can read progressions and throw every route. All these projects like Stroud, Rattler, Young, even Corral are too quick to take off and dont always look down field. Lurie talks about Russel Wilson correct? Wilson waits and is always looking down field before he has to take off. Pickett is the only QB in this draft that has those tendencies. Pickett reminds me of the early/mid 2000's QB which is what we want in this offense. No Thank you to the new age QB like Murray, Jackson etc. I don;t want college ball offenses. 

Stunned at the amount of people on this board that like Stroud…

Super overrated. His stats are misleading

• Like 1