Kenny Pickett (Pittsburgh QB) -- DRAFTED BY PITTSBURGH #20

The Blackfish

2 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

Well, I've maintained for a while that something else was wrong with Wentz that year......he was completely different than previous years.....like he completely forgot how to play the position.   I've never seen anything like that.....and I don't believe it was because of Hurts and feeling pressure.  Yeah, he could have handled that a lot better, but for a guy to fall off so much, so fast, I just can't believe something wasn't wrong with him.

I completely believe it was pressure making him play like garbage. What did we just see in weeks 17 and 18 in "must win” games? Wentz choked. The guy cannot handle pressure situations. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nipples said:

I completely believe it was pressure making him play like garbage. What did we just see in weeks 17 and 18 in "must win” games? Wentz choked. The guy cannot handle pressure situations. 

I have to agree. He forced things in 2018, he forced things a lot in 2019 and I think he did so because of the pressure on him. He felt he needed to prove that he could take this team to the SB again. 2017 and 2018 messed him up. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nipples said:

Cool story and all, but I actually watched the games. It was clear as day that he began throwing the ball more accurately and going through progressions more often as the season went on. 

Using the same before Detroit after Detroit formula, before Detroit, 61.16 completions, after Detroit, 61.36 %.  .2 percent.  And he threw 68 less passes.  

19 hours ago, downundermike said:

Using the same before Detroit after Detroit formula, before Detroit, 61.16 completions, after Detroit, 61.36 %.  .2 percent.  And he threw 68 less passes.  

You just have to willfully ignore actual statistics to dispute that position.  There is no debate to it. 

Unfortunately, several have used make believe (eye test) to convince themselves that he has improved steadily all season and thus the Eagles have no reason to consider a QB with an early pick.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2022 at 9:18 AM, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Unfortunately, several have used make believe (eye test) to convince themselves that he has improved steadily all season and thus the Eagles have no reason to consider a QB with an early pick.

Big fat fail on the eye test today.

How is everyone feeling about Kenny Pickett now ??

Hard to make a judgement based on one playoff game, but it would be tough to argue against the team selecting a more traditional pocket passer with one of their early picks.

Either way, this team has plenty of holes outside of QB regardless, especially on defense.

Honestly, it would not be that hard to draft a better passer than Hurts. He's that bad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, PhiEaglesWin07 said:

Honestly, it would not be that hard to draft a better passer than Hurts. He's that bad.

Sure, but you don’t waste a 1st on a QB just because you think he could be mediocre but a better passer than the guy he’s replacing. If you’re using a first on a QB, and in this case would probably have to trade up, you need to feel really good about him being a top 10 QB. I’m not there with Pickett, or any other AB in this draft. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, PhiEaglesWin07 said:

When the bar is so low, every option - draft, trade, FA - has a great potential of more success.  

Pickett has the tools and the measurables to be an higher ceiling upgrade at QB.  I just wouldn't stretch too far for him.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, nipples said:

Sure, but you don’t waste a 1st on a QB just because you think he could be mediocre but a better passer than the guy he’s replacing. If you’re using a first on a QB, and in this case would probably have to trade up, you need to feel really good about him being a top 10 QB. I’m not there with Pickett, or any other AB in this draft. 

I still don't get this thinking.  So you would rather stick with a mediocre talent that you KNOW isn't taking you anywhere in Hurts, instead of taking a chance on someone who has the tools and measurables and evaluations to POTENTIALLY do so In Pickett?   Eagles fans aren't generally that risk averse and show more bravery.  Usually, we are willing to chuck anyone out the door at the first sign of struggle, let alone watch a whole season of it.

9 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I still don't get this thinking.  So you would rather stick with a mediocre talent that you KNOW isn't taking you anywhere in Hurts, instead of taking a chance on someone who has the tools and measurables and evaluations to POTENTIALLY do so In Pickett?   Eagles fans aren't generally that risk averse and show more bravery.  Usually, we are willing to chuck anyone out the door at the first sign of struggle, let alone watch a whole season of it.

I'm not giving up anything to move up for Pickett. I'm not giving up say another first to move up to potentially get Pickett. I'd possibly take him with our first first round pick but he's very unlikely to still be there. But hey that's just my own take. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm not giving up anything to move up for Pickett. I'm not giving up say another first to move up to potentially get Pickett. I'd possibly take him with our first first round pick but he's very unlikely to still be there. But hey that's just my own take. 

I doubt he will be here in our regular spot either and I don't support giving up a bunch of picks to get him.  I have always said that.  What I would give up is Hurts and our first pick to switch positions in the round with a higher picking team.  We don't lose much in that scenario.  I'd do the same for Corral, too. 

• Like 2

On 1/14/2022 at 10:39 PM, nipples said:

Cool story and all, but I actually watched the games. It was clear as day that he began throwing the ball more accurately and going through progressions more often as the season went on. 

It did. He did get better this year.

But he played bad in the playoffs, there is no way around it. So some level of doubt is fair.

15 hours ago, PhiEaglesWin07 said:

He was, but you don’t want to draft a guy who turns out to be the next Paxton Lynch because you’re desperate for a QB. Pickett is the only guy I like in the 1st but I wouldn’t trade the farm to move up and draft him. But you’re probably going to have to because some desperate team in the top 10 will fall in love with him.

Hurts was very inconsistent this year but showed flashes at times that he can be a good QB. He’s limited because of his arm strength but there’s no reason why he can’t improve his accuracy and decision making. Josh Allen, was terribly inaccurate when he came into the league, improved tremendously. So did Lamar Jackson. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

He was, but you don’t want to draft a guy who turns out to be the next Paxton Lynch because you’re desperate for a QB. Pickett is the only guy I like in the 1st but I wouldn’t trade the farm to move up and draft him. But you’re probably going to have to because some desperate team in the top 10 will fall in love with him.

And this has been my point all along. Look I get that this team needs a QB. I get that Hurts is not the answer. I get that rolling with Hurts in 2022 could lead to a wasted year of development for others. 

But panicking and reaching and forcing is a recipe for disaster. Its the reason bad teams stay bad and good teams tend to be good most years. You draft to improve your team through a combination of factors. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I don’t get the line of thinking of wanting to trade up for a QB in this **** draft. 

1 hour ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I doubt he will be here in our regular spot either and I don't support giving up a bunch of picks to get him.  I have always said that.  What I would give up is Hurts and our first pick to switch positions in the round with a higher picking team.  We don't lose much in that scenario.  I'd do the same for Corral, too. 

Ok but if Hurts is that bad, why would a team do that trade?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nipples said:

Ok but if Hurts is that bad, why would a team do that trade?

All we'd be doing is throwing in him to add a little value and to avoid a fan fueled controversy....essentially adding a 3rd or 4th with the 1st to move up a little. 

However, If he's as good as some on here think, we should be able to move way up with him and a first.  I'm not that dumb, but some here are.

13 minutes ago, nipples said:

I don’t get the line of thinking of wanting to trade up for a QB in this **** draft. 

Meh.  If they want and believe in a draftable QB, you do what is necessary.  There are clearly 3 or 4 decent QBs in this draft...or they can sit put and see who is there (if its as bad as you pretend it is).  Adding Hurts in to "trade up" isn't a huge loss.

2 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

When the bar is so low, every option - draft, trade, FA - has a great potential of more success.  

Pickett has the tools and the measurables to be an higher ceiling upgrade at QB.  I just wouldn't stretch too far for him.

Pretty much my though process on Pickett. I love that he is a read progression QB which is rare in today's college football. Not to mention a successful one on top of that. I think he fits the NFL QB mold and what the Eagles FO and coaching staff are looking for in a QB. 

If he lands at our pick or is within reach to move up without giving the house I would take him in a heart beat. i don;t see any other QBs in this draft or in any future draft till Arch Manning comes in in 3-4 years. Now every year a new candidate might emerge but again a progression read QB with his abilities has been rare. Burrow, Herbert, Jones are the latest examples. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Kenny Pickett is worth 2 of our first rounders + another pick (2023 2nd rounder/Jalen Hurts). He could go / should go Top 5 in draft.

I think 7 teams that pick before the Eagles at #15 need a QB. We need to move up to get him.

6 minutes ago, CouchKing said:

Kenny Pickett is worth 2 of our first rounders + another pick (2023 2nd rounder/Jalen Hurts). He could go / should go Top 5 in draft.

I think 7 teams that pick before the Eagles at #15 need a QB. We need to move up to get him.

He will go top 5 because that's just what happens. I don't believe that he's a genuine top 5 talent and he's not worth multiple picks to get him. 

But, if the Eagles want Pickett, they need to trade up to get him and multiple picks is what it will take.

So, the price of multiple picks is the price from where we sit with these picks at 15, 16, 19, based on draft pick value charts.

The decision is whether the Eagles want him or not. If they want him, that's what they need to pay.

4 hours ago, CouchKing said:

On a team with as many holes we have, I don’t think any player is worth giving up that much to get.  I would probably feel differently if Pickett was the next Josh Allen or Joe Burrow but he isn’t.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, time2rock said:

On a team with as many holes we have, I don’t think any player is worth giving up that much to get.  I would probably feel differently if Pickett was the next Josh Allen or Joe Burrow but he isn’t.  

I agree with your point and I'm certainly no big Pickett guy but... Nobody thought Allen was going to be quite this good. First round talent sure but top tier?