Kenny Pickett (Pittsburgh QB) -- DRAFTED BY PITTSBURGH #20

The Blackfish

2 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

The new normal of college football, unfortunately.  I hate the whole concept, but can accept that he stands to lose way more than he can gain by playing a bowl game.

Wouldn't surprise me if its an ultimate plan to even drop his draft status. We all know now hes a huge Eagles fan and said he would love to be an Eagle. Its already known Howie has gone to 3 games in person and he was even seen on the Eagles sidelines during the Tues night game vs the Skins.

Playing in that Bowl game could up his stock even more making it harder for him to get in the hands of the Eagles reach. I think they fit each other very well scheme wise on what Pickett wants and what Howie/Lurie want. It will be interesting if the turns out declining to participate in the combine as well. 

This is all a conspiracy theory of course, lol BUT nothing surprises me anymore in the NFL and with Howie. 

• Like 2

Just now, DeathByEagle said:

Wouldn't surprise me if its an ultimate plan to even drop his draft status. We all know now hes a huge Eagles fan and said he would love to be an Eagle. Its already known Howie has gone to 3 games in person and he was even seen on the Eagles sidelines during the Tues night game vs the Skins.

Playing in that Bowl game could up his stock even more making it harder for him to get in the hands of the Eagles reach. I think they fit each other very well scheme wise on what Pickett wants and what Howie/Lurie want. It will be interesting if the turns out declining to participate in the combine as well. 

This is all a conspiracy theory of course, lol BUT nothing surprises me anymore in the NFL and with Howie. 

Anything is possible anymore.

I think the whole "Eagle fan" thing is an interesting intangible with Pickett.  It doesn't mean wins necessarily, but it does mean an unusually high amount of commitment.  

3 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Look if Pickett falls to the Eagles then sure he'll consider taking him. Howie loves a QB and Pickett could be a pretty good one so there's logic there. But I'm not sure Pickett has made this decision so he can drop to the Eagles. That's a risky strategy. 

11 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

I think it probably has more to do with avoiding risk of injury or damage to draft stock. The media analysts have already started hyping him up as a 1st round QB and Mel Kiper and Todd McShay even have him as QB1 of the draft class. 

Personally I hope the team sticks to BPA at a position of need rather than force a QB pick, with the potential Hurts has shown, but it wouldn't surprise me if we go QB early either.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

I think it probably has more to do with avoiding risk of injury or damage to draft stock. The media analysts have already started hyping him up as a 1st round QB and Mel Kiper and Todd McShay even have him as QB1 of the draft class. 

Personally I hope the team sticks to BPA at a position of need rather than force a QB pick, with the potential Hurts has shown, but it wouldn't surprise me if we go QB early either.

Yeah I'd agree with you here. Teams will have what they need on tape for Pickett so one more game isn't going to make much of a difference. But if he were to get injured in that game then that's going to have a big impact on his draft position. 

• Like 1

Nobody gives a flying F about these stupid bowl games, that ship sailed a while ago.

That's why the expanded playoffs is all the more necessary.

• Like 1

Since this upcoming class is considered weak, what is last years class?  
 Wilson, Lawrence and Fields?  I understand the teams they’re on are awful but none of them have really put together a good game, much less 4-5 drives in a game where they were consistent.   I’m not sure which of the 3 pans out, but it’s likely to only be one.  
Btw, Mills for the Texans is out playing all three.            

I mentioned this before, I was really surprised how bad Fromm was, IDC where he was drafted, he did not look like a QB from a major SEC program that started 3 seasons for Georgia and threw 78 Td’s.  He played Sunday almost as if it was the first time he played QB in his life, Toney for the Giants played QB in high school and couldn’t have been much worse.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, The Blackfish said:

Wilson, Lawrence and Fields?  I understand the teams they’re on are awful but none of them have really put together a good game, much less 4-5 drives in a game where they were consistent.   I’m not sure which of the 3 pans out, but it’s likely to only be one.  

I mentioned this before, I was really surprised how bad Fromm was, IDC where he was drafted, he did not look like a QB from a major SEC program that started 3 seasons for Georgia and threw 78 Td’s.  He played Sunday almost as if it was the first time he played QB in his life, Toney for the Giants played QB in high school and couldn’t have been much worse.  

And this just goes to show that so much rests on where players end up. Lawrence has gone to a bad team that has been bad for a long time. The Jets are similar and the Bears offense has been an issue with Nagy as HC. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, The Blackfish said:

Last years class is the canary in the mine for this class, Wilson, Lawrence and Field's would be the top QB prospects in this years class, there isn't a prospect this year with anywhere near Lawrence's resumé.

Fromm was in a horrible situation on Sunday, I feel sorry for the kid that that may be his one shot, Glennon has significant starting experience and was no better when he came in.

9 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And this just goes to show that so much rests on where players end up. Lawrence has gone to a bad team that has been bad for a long time. The Jets are similar and the Bears offense has been an issue with Nagy as HC. 

That’s a big part of it, and how well the QB’s were prepared to make the jump also matters, particularly, the style of offense they are coming from.  Bruce Arians for instance isn’t a big fan of the spread, air raid, shotgun offenses, but now it’s nearly impossible to find a college QB that isn’t coming from style system.  Obviously it’s much easier in college to scheme guys open if you’re a top college program, Lincoln Riley does it as good as anyone, to the point of questioning if he wants to be the QB.  
 As much football experience as Hurts has, Siriani is calling the play with the primary target, and Kelce helps Hurts with the defense pre snap, vs Pickett and Strong who probably had the most freedom this past season calling audibles, and making pre snap adjustments accordingly.    That doesn’t mean either guy is gonna be better than Hurts, or worse.  
 I still believe the growth Pickett showed this season, staying the extra year really helped him mature. He’s a little older than most, but he isn’t beat up like Corral, I think he’s more accurate than Corral, he just doesn’t have Corrals arm strength, also Pickett has height in his favor.  Pickett IMO should be the top QB taken, since it is a Pickett thread, lol. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Last years class is the canary in the mine for this class, Wilson, Lawrence and Field's would be the top QB prospects in this years class, there isn't a prospect this year with anywhere near Lawrence's resumé.

Fromm was in a horrible situation on Sunday, I feel sorry for the kid that that may be his one shot, Glennon has significant starting experience and was no better when he came in.

I agree, but other than Lawrence I’m not sure why.  I’m also biased towards Ohio St QB’s, so that wipes out Fields for me going ahead of Pickett.  I don’t hate Wilson or his game but he wasn’t nearly ready this season to start, and as bad as the Jags are as a team, Lawrence hasn’t been very good either.  In his defense, Meyer isn’t an X’s and O’s coach, so explaining his offense thru motivation clearly hasn’t worked for Lawrence either. 

Lance was over drafted, he could make the HOF and it wouldn’t change that fact, he threw a total of 317 passes in college.  To make a comparison, Pickett threw 310 as a 1st year starter, 470 in his 2nd season, 332 in 9 games in his 3rd and 497 this season.  On one hand you could say you’ve seen enough to know his bad habits and what he can’t do, but he clearly is an easier evaluation.   

The biggest advantages Wilson, Fields, Lance, and Lawrence have over this seasons QB’s are the old school attributes scouts and GM’s love, they’re all well over 6ft tall, (Wilson is 6’2”) and all have big arms capable of making every throw. All 4 are also mobile.         
 Regardless of what anyone thinks, scouts will be concerned with Picketts hand size if it’s truly under 8 1\2”.  I don’t think it’s possible for a grown man over 5’9” to have that small of hands.. His true number should be measured at the Senior Bowl, but will be for sure at the Combine. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Blackfish said:

I agree, but other than Lawrence I’m not sure why.  I’m also biased towards Ohio St QB’s, so that wipes out Fields for me going ahead of Pickett.  I don’t hate Wilson or his game but he wasn’t nearly ready this season to start, and as bad as the Jags are as a team, Lawrence hasn’t been very good either.  In his defense, Meyer isn’t an X’s and O’s coach, so explaining his offense thru motivation clearly hasn’t worked for Lawrence either. 

Lance was over drafted, he could make the HOF and it wouldn’t change that fact, he threw a total of 317 passes in college.  To make a comparison, Pickett threw 310 as a 1st year starter, 470 in his 2nd season, 332 in 9 games in his 3rd and 497 this season.  On one hand you could say you’ve seen enough to know his bad habits and what he can’t do, but he clearly is an easier evaluation.   

The biggest advantages Wilson, Fields, Lance, and Lawrence have over this seasons QB’s are the old school attributes scouts and GM’s love, they’re all well over 6ft tall, (Wilson is 6’2”) and all have big arms capable of making every throw. All 4 are also mobile.         
 Regardless of what anyone thinks, scouts will be concerned with Picketts hand size if it’s truly under 8 1\2”.  I don’t think it’s possible for a grown man over 5’9” to have that small of hands.. His true number should be measured at the Senior Bowl, but will be for sure at the Combine. 

Ill take Pickett who now that our picks have tanked out of the top 15 leaves me with Willis.Other than those 2 I don't see a QB worth taking in 1. I wouldn't move either,if one falls to us,then decisions will be made

On 12/28/2021 at 3:00 AM, D-Shiznit said:

Nobody gives a flying F about these stupid bowl games, that ship sailed a while ago.

That's why the expanded playoffs is all the more necessary.

Yep. It’s just an exhibition game between two teams chosen to play. If it was an actual playoff game with a chance to win the national championship, he probably plays. 

• Like 1

And this is why you opt out of these stupid meaningless bowl games, kid broke his collarbone.

Good for Pickett for not jeopardizing his pre-draft process over this.

• Like 2

On 12/27/2021 at 1:47 PM, DeathByEagle said:

On 12/28/2021 at 1:09 AM, eaglesfan0075 said:

On 12/31/2021 at 7:37 AM, D-Shiznit said:

And this is why you opt out of these stupid meaningless bowl games, kid broke his collarbone.

Good for Pickett for not jeopardizing his pre-draft process over this.

Yeah there is no way Pickett is doing it so he drops to the Eagles. Fan or not, these guys stand to lose millions of pounds by dropping 5-6 slots in the first.

Avoiding getting injured/damaging his stock is the reason.

On 12/27/2021 at 8:09 PM, eaglesfan0075 said:

I think it probably has more to do with avoiding risk of injury or damage to draft stock. The media analysts have already started hyping him up as a 1st round QB and Mel Kiper and Todd McShay even have him as QB1 of the draft class

Tallest midget?

Hand size concerns me.  Get flashbacks to Dave Krieg who was a good QB but a fumbling machine.

15 hours ago, Vee said:

No way Pickett makes it past Atlanta AND Pittsburgh...

Yeah agreed there. Both have a need and there was talk Atlanta may have taken a QB last year... I'm pretty sure they will this year. 

23 hours ago, Vee said:

Well currently we draft ahead of the Steelers. Atlanta is only 4 picks ahead of us. If Howie wants him he easily has the ammo to get him. Pretty clear Howie likes him with all the attention he has shown over the past 2 months. 

i would not be shocked one bit if hes the pick

5 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

Well currently we draft ahead of the Steelers. Atlanta is only 4 picks ahead of us. If Howie wants him he easily has the ammo to get him. Pretty clear Howie likes him with all the attention he has shown over the past 2 months. 

I wouldn't be shocked either. I'd be disappointed if they gave up ammo (likely another first) to get him but I wouldn't be shocked. 

21 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

I wouldn’t hate it like I did the Reagor pick but I wouldn’t be excited about it either.  I’d root for him simply because he was one of ours but I would very much prefer to use those high picks to add young talented playmakers to the defense and roll another year with Hurts (I think that is the smartest strategy all things considered).  I’m not saying I believe he is the QB of the future here but I also think there is a chance he can be … we need more time to continue to evaluate his growth.  Anyone saying he has already shown enough and definitely does not have the potential to become a franchise QB is being extremely narrow minded.  

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 9:34 PM, Vee said:

On 1/6/2022 at 11:22 AM, ManchesterEagle said:

Yeah there is no way Pickett is doing it so he drops to the Eagles. Fan or not, these guys stand to lose millions of pounds by dropping 5-6 slots in the first.

Avoiding getting injured/damaging his stock is the reason.

I'm not advocating for the Eagles to draft Pickett - but if you wouldn't expect the team to trade up if they want him, you haven't been paying attention all these years.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2021 at 2:50 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah I'd agree with you here. Teams will have what they need on tape for Pickett so one more game isn't going to make much of a difference. But if he were to get injured in that game then that's going to have a big impact on his draft position. 

As it looked like may happen to Matt Corral.  When he went down, every QB that sat out said "See...crap happens in football."  

On 1/8/2022 at 3:04 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I wouldn't be shocked either. I'd be disappointed if they gave up ammo (likely another first) to get him but I wouldn't be shocked. 

What if they gave up their highest first and Hurts?

• Like 1