Kenny Pickett (Pittsburgh QB) -- DRAFTED BY PITTSBURGH #20

The Blackfish

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Hell no. 

I'd do it in a second.  There's no loss in pick count and we move on from a low upside QB.   Win-win.

3 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I'd do it in a second.  There's no loss in pick count and we move on from a low upside QB.   Win-win.

I think Hurts could hold more value than just a first round pick though...

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

anigif_sub-buzz-7120-1624277994-17.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I doubt that, but that's not what I said.  I'd package him and our first to go get a QB...draft (in this case) or FA.  Pickett isn't getting down to us naturally.  I know you don't like Pickett and that is fine, but he's a better prospect than run often Hurts. 

There's no way this team can justify giving Hurts top QB money when this contract runs out, so go ahead and package him and get something versus nothing.  If you are right, we should get good compensation which makes it more imperative to do it now.

On 1/9/2022 at 8:51 AM, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Why exactly is he "low upside”? There is plenty of reason to believe Hurts can improve going into year three. He improved from year one to year two. 

He’s still only 23. He’s actually slightly younger than Pickett. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, nipples said:

Why exactly is he "low upside”? There is plenty of reason to believe Hurts can improve going into year three. He improved from year one to year two. 

Because some of the fans have decided that Hurts is not the answer. That he can't continue to improve and in fact that he will not continue to improve. 

Maybe he can, maybe he can't. But to me the very fact we don't know the answer is why Hurts should get 2022.

• Like 1

Because some of the fans have decided that Hurts is not the answer. That he can't continue to improve and in fact that he will not continue to improve. 

Maybe he can, maybe he can't. But to me the very fact we don't know the answer is why Hurts should get 2022.

Yeah… I think people forget (or willfully ignore) just how young the kid still is. Right now with 20 games of NFL experience he’s still the same age or younger than a lot of QBs that will be drafted this spring, including Pickett. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nipples said:

His passing talent makes him "low upside".  While I think he can incrementally improve and Siri will scheme around his limitations, he has a long way to go to ever earn that 2nd contract as a premium starting QB (not franchise).  I'd move on, but can live with another year of him trying to get better.   Time will tell.

Age has nothing to do with this.  

4 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

His passing talent makes him "low upside".  While I think he can improve and Siri will scheme around his limitations, he has a long way to go to ever earn that 2nd contract as a premium starting QB (not franchise).  I'd move on, but can live with another year of him trying to get better.   Time will tell.

The passing can be improved. It got better from 2020 to 2021, and the kid has a high work ethic. I’m not saying he WILL improve even more next year, but I believe he can. 

His short to intermediate accuracy has already improved. His deep ball needs work, and I think he can get it to where it needs to be. His arm may not be a cannon, but it’s strong enough. Deep ball accuracy can be improved through perfecting his mechanics on those throws. 

He also needs to work on reading coverages and going through progressions. Again, that’s an area where he showed improvement not only from year 1 to 2, but also throughout the course of this season. It still needs work but, again, I think he’s a hard-working kid and he’ll put in the effort to improve here as well. 

Only time will tell, but given the current options, I don’t see a better one than giving Hurts another year to see if he can bring his passing game up another notch. 

• Like 1

Just now, nipples said:

The passing can be improved. It got better from 2020 to 2021, and the kid has a high work ethic. I’m not saying he WILL improve even more next year, but I believe he can. 

His short to intermediate accuracy has already improved. His deep ball needs work, and I thinks he can get there. His arm may not be a cannon, but it’s strong enough. Deep ball accuracy can be improved through perfecting his mechanics on those throws. 

He also needs to work on reading coverages and going through progressions. Again, that’s an area where he showed improvement not only from year 1 to 2, but also throughout the course of this season. It still needs work but, again, I think he’s a hard-working kid and he’ll put in the effort to improve here as well. 

Only time will tell, but given the current options, I don’t see a better one than giving Hurts another year to see if he can bring his passing game up another notch. 

That's all good, but let's consolidate his issues - issues with pocket presence (runs too quick and circles back out versus stepping up), reading defenses and making full progressions,  late delivery of the ball, deep ball and middle of the field accuracy needs big improvement.  Those are all pretty important issues.  Arm strength in most parts of short and intermediate game is not an issue.  It's everything else.  His intangibles are all great, which may make up for some of it.

The question isn't IF he can iimprove, it's HOW MUCH and HOW FAST.   My belief is not enough to pass up a QB like Pickett or go get a FA.  I'm glad I am not the Eagles having to make that call.

The only problem with the "we don't know, so give him another year" is that it could cause us to miss out on a QB opportunity and the development of that QB asset.  I am fine with giving him another year and you are mostly right about one thing....my belief is that no matter how much incremental improvement he makes, it's never going to be enough to push us back over the top to a SB.  I've seen enough of Hurts in college and NFL to develop that opinion. The limitations are too big. 

I'll be the happiest guy ever to be wrong about all of that.   I just don't see it, but thankfully, its not my call.  I'd bet it all that the Eagles have already made up their mind on him.

16 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

The only problem with the "we don't know, so give him another year" is that it could cause us to miss out on a QB opportunity and the development of that QB asset.  I am fine with giving him another year and you are mostly right about one thing....my belief is that no matter how much incremental improvement he makes, it's never going to be enough to push us back over the top to a SB.  I've seen enough of Hurts in college and NFL to develop that opinion. The limitations are too big. 

I'll be the happiest guy ever to be wrong about all of that.   I just don't see it, but thankfully, its not my call.  I'd bet it all that the Eagles have already made up their mind on him.

I’d be fine with them taking a QB if there was actually one in this draft that was worth a first. But I don’t think there is. I think Hurts is a better prospect than any QB in this pathetic draft. 

If Hurts was coming out this year, he’d be a first round pick rather than a second. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Look we can go back and forth on this all day. Ultimately I think where we both are at is not far away but we just sit slightly opposite sides of it. I absolutely get what you are saying I really do and I agree with it to an extent. It just comes down to where you sit with Pickett. I think you are higher on him than I am. 

43 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Look we can go back and forth on this all day. Ultimately I think where we both are at is not far away but we just sit slightly opposite sides of it. I absolutely get what you are saying I really do and I agree with it to an extent. It just comes down to where you sit with Pickett. I think you are higher on him than I am. 

I don't care who we pick up.  I am not specifically talking about Pickett anymore, but rather the need for a different QB. I just don't think Hurts is a long term answer to anything, so we shouldn't rule out QB acquisition.  

53 minutes ago, nipples said:

I’d be fine with them taking a QB if there was actually one in this draft that was worth a first. But I don’t think there is. I think Hurts is a better prospect than any QB in this pathetic draft. 

If Hurts was coming out this year, he’d be a first round pick rather than a second. 

Maybe. Maybe not on Hurts.  His limited passing abilities would still be evident and he wouldn't have any NFL training, if he were coming out this year  IMO, he wouldn't jump Pickett, Corral, or WIllis in the QB hierarchy, if he were coming out of OU this year.  He was only a 2nd round pick to Howie (3rd or 4th to most), so his stock jumping 2 rounds seems unlikely.  One major benefit to drafting a QB is gaining back the 2 years of rookie contract and rookie development already lost with Hurts. We will see.

Drafting a 1st round QB just recreates the scenario of Wentz-Hurts......

They don't need a QB this year, and drafting a project is nothing more than a reach and a waste of a high draft pick....and for a team that has many defensive needs, it would again be another example of howie trying to show how smart he is.....no thanks.  

I'd like to get past the old cleveland browns ways of trying to find the "next big thing".  If the eagles can't develop QBs, why the hell would another project change anything?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

They don't need a QB this year, and drafting a project is nothing more than a reach and a waste of a high draft pick....and for a team that has many defensive needs, it would again be another example of howie trying to show how smart he is.....no thanks.  

I'd like to get past the old cleveland browns ways of trying to find the "next big thing".  If the eagles can't develop QBs, why the hell would another project change anything?

If they drafted Pickett they would be developing a QB, not a RB..............

30 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

Just package Hurts to get a pick or improve the trade value and there is no controversy....just a few upset fans.

36 minutes ago, downundermike said:

If they drafted Pickett they would be developing a QB, not a RB..............

Horsesh--........everybody thinks that QB development is a straight line ascension....well, it's not.  It takes time, around 2-3 years before they master an offense. There are very few exceptions to that rule.....and they make a bunch of mistakes.  Philly is not a patient place for a QB project....and make no mistake, Pickett is a project.....and I wonder whether this organization will give him the time and the patience to develop........After Wentz and if they do replace Hurts, I'll be convinced that they won't.

19 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

Horsesh--........everybody thinks that QB development is a straight line ascension....well, it's not.  It takes time, around 2-3 years before they master an offense. There are very few exceptions to that rule.....and they make a bunch of mistakes.  Philly is not a patient place for a QB project....and make no mistake, Pickett is a project.....and I wonder whether this organization will give him the time and the patience to develop........After Wentz and if they do replace Hurts, I'll be convinced that they won't.

Wow, that went right over your head.

9 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I don't care who we pick up.  I am not specifically talking about Pickett anymore, but rather the need for a different QB. I just don't think Hurts is a long term answer to anything, so we shouldn't rule out QB acquisition.  

But it really needs to be the right QB. I'm not sure any of the QBs in this years draft are absolutely going to be better than Hurts. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

If he's there at 15, I would take him, but that's it, not trading up to go get him.

He's projected to be first QB off the board, if he's still there at 15 I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole because that means teams like Detroit, Houston, WFT, Carolina, Denver and Chicago have all decided they're better off with a roster hole under center than investing a first rounder in this guy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But it really needs to be the right QB. I'm not sure any of the QBs in this years draft are absolutely going to be better than Hurts. 

None of us know that.  All we can do is use our eyes and pretend that we know.  I won't be ecstatic or disappointed if he is drafted by the team.  I just believe that we need a QB to progress and waiting rarely pays off with QBs.  He is clearly one of the best 2 or 3 QB prospects available this year.

On 1/9/2022 at 8:43 AM, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

What if they gave up their highest first and Hurts?

Sorry Monty, I'll stick with what's behind Curtain #3.

Not sure a lot of teams will offer up their Top 7 pick (what it would take to get past Atlanta) for a #15 and Hurts.

Furthermore, it's not out of the realm of possibility that Pickett doesn't get drafted at:

#2 - Lions

#3 - Texans

#5 - Giants

There is no way for the Eagles to get into a position to grab Pickett.  Not without overpaying.  
This is an outstanding opportunity to rebuild the defense.  I am hoping that the Eagles do the right thing and take this chance to rebuild a defense that has been band-aided together for far too many seasons.

• Like 4