Week 7 poll, is it time to Bench Hurts

Bench Hurts  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Bench Hurts

5 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

Is that how you judge a QB? Minshew got beat out by Mike Glennon.

if you want to look at numbers, look at Hurts’ numbers, he’s got great numbers. What’s your point? 

Foles got beat out by Glennon and Trubisky and won us a SB. What’s your point?

In my heart, I would vote "YES", but my head says Howie still thinks he is Russell Wilson in disguise.  We need a few more losses piled up to make it absolutely clear that we can't stick with him.

Plus, he is my fantasy QB and I luv me sum garbage time stats.  

No - definitely not. Give him at least until week 13/14 and probably the whole year.

I’m more worried about the D making Derek Carr look like Drew Brees and Tom Brady combined.

48 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

In my heart, I would vote "YES", but my head says Howie still thinks he is Russell Wilson in disguise.  We need a few more losses piled up to make it absolutely clear that we can't stick with him.

Plus, he is my fantasy QB and I luv me sum garbage time stats.  

Howie better stay away from Wilson

39 minutes ago, Godfather said:

Howie better stay away from Wilson

You just know he's going to be tempted don't you. And in fact he'll probably end up making the move and buying himself more time in the job. Because that's what he does and what he's good at. 

37 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You just know he's going to be tempted don't you. And in fact he'll probably end up making the move and buying himself more time in the job. Because that's what he does and what he's good at. 

He doesn't need to save his job because according to Lurie, he can do no wrong

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fresh_Prince said:

Its not like we have Aaron Rodgers on the bench.

I've seen Minshew before.

Then certainly you’ve seen that he performed better, with less talent around him, than what Hurts is giving us now. 

I’m SO tired of seeing Hurts throw behind receivers. Any type of slant or crossing route the receiver has to stop and turn back to try to make the catch. 

6 hours ago, PhiEaglesWin07 said:

Flacco is past his prime and Minshew has already shown he's not a franchise QB.

If you think this is an endorsement of Hurts, it's not. He's been bad. I just don't want to waste time with guys who won't be a long term solution.

Hurts has already shown he’s not a franchise qb and is not a long term solution.

Frankly, he showed that in college.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, nipples said:

Then certainly you’ve seen that he performed better, with less talent around him, than what Hurts is giving us now. 

I’m SO tired of seeing Hurts throw behind receivers. Any type of slant or crossing route the receiver has to stop and turn back to try to make the catch. 

Not to mention he doesn't utilize the middle of the field. His ball placement/ accuracy is the worst I've seen since watching this team. Under throws, over throws, throwing behind guys. It's the story of every game

3 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

It isn't just Urban Meyer's opinion though is it?  Lets be clear, we traded for Minshew for the kings ransom of a conditional 6th round pick that becomes a 5th rounder if he has a fifty percent snap count in 3 games, and not a single other team in the NFL thought he was worth giving up that to even play second string, NOT ONE, how do you explain that if he has a serious shot at being a starter?

JAX had the 1st pick in the draft and the draft's best player was supposedly a franchise QB named Trevor Lawrence. Minshew had some success in his first 2 seasons guiding the NFL's worst team and had a portion of the fan base behind him. The team clearly didn't want there to be a divide/distraction on the team with a QB controversy if Lawrence struggled early. I don't know how negotiations went with other teams until the point he ended up here, but by the time we acquired him, teams were finalizing their 53. To me, the trade seemed an act of desperation (by JAX) to hurry to eliminate the potential controversy, but still get something in return from a team outside the conference. The Eagles were lauded for the trade by many sources.

I don't know if Minshew is the answer. I don't know if Hurts is the answer. Right now, most of the offense is Jalen Hurts and teams are not having a hard time defending against it. Based on what Minshew has done in his first 2 seasons, it's reasonable to assume our receivers would be more productive and our offense less predictable and less dependent on 1 guy. 

Hurts got his opportunity when his predecessor failed to turn around a dismal offense. The same opportunity can be afforded to someone else in the future. If I had to choose between Flacco and Minshew, I'd start with Minshew now that he's been on the team for a couple months. 

48 minutes ago, Godfather said:

He doesn't need to save his job because according to Lurie, he can do no wrong

Well yeah that's very true and very fair. 

8 hours ago, Outlaw said:

How is a guy who is in his 3rd year in the league that is only on his second team termed a "journeyman?”

You really want to judge him based on Urban Meyer’s opinion?

Just describing what type of guy he is, he’s a journeyman-type QB. He’s not a franchise QB or even a solid starter. By the time he’s been in the league 10 years (and I think he will),  he’ll be on 4-5 different teams. 

Also, last year he was beat out by Glennon, Urban Meyer was not the coach. Get your facts straight if you want to dispute my post. 

7 hours ago, Uscg-green said:

He's better than Hurts. 

So if he’s better, why do you want to play him? Aren’t we tanking for a better draft pick? You should want Hurts in there. 

3 hours ago, MagicMoment said:

Foles got beat out by Glennon and Trubisky and won us a SB. What’s your point?

Foles sucked in Jacksonville. Loved what he did here but he was terrible everywhere else. 

25 minutes ago, wyote said:

For whom? Is there a young Kurt Warner out there somewhere working retail? 

We won’t know until we place a few calls to Target or Costco, now will we??

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wyote said:

For whom? Is there a young Kurt Warner out there somewhere working retail? 

We can keep starting Hurts and never find out, if that makes you feel better ... 

All I want at this point is some legitimate competition. The offense isn't getting better currently under Hurts. If Hurts had previously established himself as a franchise QB, I'd say stick with him and see if it gets fixed. But as of this point, he has not, so there's no real reason to go "all in" at this point on a team looking for answers. 

25 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

Just describing what type of guy he is, he’s a journeyman-type QB. He’s not a franchise QB or even a solid starter. By the time he’s been in the league 10 years (and I think he will),  he’ll be on 4-5 different teams. 

Also, last year he was beat out by Glennon, Urban Meyer was not the coach. Get your facts straight if you want to dispute my post. 

:roll: Replacing Urban Meyer with Doug Marrone doesn't make my point weaker.

1 hour ago, nipples said:

Less talent around him?  The Jags had DJ Chark, Dede Westbrook and Marqise Lee as WR3 at the start of 2019, last year their 1 and 2 were DJ Chark and Laviska Shenault, and they had Leonard Fournette at tailback both years, how were they less talented than what we have as of right now?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Less talent around him?  The Jags had DJ Chark, Dede Westbrook and Marqise Lee as WR3 at the start of 2019, last year their 1 and 2 were DJ Chark and Laviska Shenault, and they had Leonard Fournette at tailback both years, how were they less talented than what we have as of right now?

Frankly I think we have better weapons than that (maybe less so now that Sanders is out).  I mean, Chark/Westbrook/Lee aren't exactly world beaters. The problem is we don't know for sure because of who is responsible for delivering them the ball.  This season should be about evaluation, but not just for Hurts.  We also need to see what Smith, Watkins, Goedert, Gainwell, Reagor, etc are capable of with a decent QB...the problem is we don't have that, and it's apparent.  A game manager who can go past his 1st read will help us see what our weapons truly are, unlike Hurts.

Just now, Bacarty2 said:

He's our best chance to lose. Keep him in

Now THAT mentality I get.  I'm a draft nut...the problem is who will be making the picks.  If we have 2 top 10 picks and one in the teens, we can only pray by the law of averages that 1 of them will be a stud.

4 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

:roll: Replacing Urban Meyer with Doug Marrone doesn't make my point weaker.

How were we able to sign him absolutely unchallenged for a conditional 6th?  If you don't like those names it's also Bellichik, Gruden x 2, LaFleur, Fangio, Stefanski, Harbaugh, McDermott, Campbell, McCarthy, Culley, Reich, Reid, Staley, McVay, Flores, Zimmer, Judge, Saleh, Tomlin, Caroll, Payton, Rivera, Nagy, Rhule, Taylor, Kingsbury, Smith, Shanahan, Arians and Vrabel, there are more than a couple of names there that could have used a QB at the start of the league year and none of them thought Minshew was worth a conditional 6th round pick.

8 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

How were we able to sign him absolutely unchallenged for a conditional 6th?  If you don't like those names it's also Bellichik, Gruden x 2, LaFleur, Fangio, Stefanski, Harbaugh, McDermott, Campbell, McCarthy, Culley, Reich, Reid, Staley, McVay, Flores, Zimmer, Judge, Saleh, Tomlin, Caroll, Payton, Rivera, Nagy, Rhule, Taylor, Kingsbury, Smith, Shanahan, Arians and Vrabel, there are more than a couple of names there that could have used a QB at the start of the league year and none of them thought Minshew was worth a conditional 6th round pick.

First, how do you know it was unchallenged?  Secondly, I don't think Minshew is "the answer" at QB by any means, but I feel he's a decent game manager.  I'd like to see someone half-competent playing QB so we can see what we have in the rest of the O.  Hurts style (and the finagling in scheme that has to be done because of his weak arm, inaccuracy and inability to read a D) does not help us evaluate the rest of the young talent at the skill positions, which is something this year should be about too...not just evaluating Hurts.

43 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

Foles sucked in Jacksonville. Loved what he did here but he was terrible everywhere else. 

That’s the point the guy you quoted originally was making. Minshew played decent on a horrible Jacksonville team that won a couple games in two seasons.