Week 7 poll, is it time to Bench Hurts

Bench Hurts  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Bench Hurts

5 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

First, how do you know it was unchallenged?  Secondly, I don't think Minshew is "the answer" at QB by any means, but I feel he's a decent game manager.  I'd like to see someone half-competent playing QB so we can see what we have in the rest of the O.  Hurts style (and the finagling in scheme that has to be done because of his weak arm, inaccuracy and inability to read a D) does not help us evaluate the rest of the young talent at the skill positions, which is something this year should be about too...not just evaluating Hurts.

Minshew is the same thing Hurts is, a backup QB. Why wouldn’t you play the guy you spent a 2nd rounder on rather than a guy you traded a conditional 6th for? You have a lot more invested in Hurts. 

1 minute ago, Road to Victory said:

Minshew is the same thing Hurts is, a backup QB. Why wouldn’t you play the guy you spent a 2nd rounder on rather than a guy you traded a conditional 6th for? You have a lot more invested in Hurts. 

The same reason We started Mailata (7th rd) over Dillard (1st rd) at LT to begin the season. The same reason we start Watkins (6th rd) over JJAW (2nd rd). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

So if he’s better, why do you want to play him? Aren’t we tanking for a better draft pick? You should want Hurts in there. 

I don't tune in to root for them to lose. 

10 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

Is that how you judge a QB? Minshew got beat out by Mike Glennon.

if you want to look at numbers, look at Hurts’ numbers, he’s got great numbers. What’s your point? 

His numbers look the way they do because he doesn't do anything until the 4th quarter when defenses relax

• Like 2

1 minute ago, brkmsn said:

The same reason We started Mailata (7th rd) over Dillard (1st rd) at LT to begin the season. The same reason we start Watkins (6th rd) over JJAW (2nd rd). 

Totally different. Mailata is a legit starter in this league, Dillard is not. 

Hurts and Minshew are both backups. Neither is a legit starter.

So to those 29 people that want to keep going with this train wreck. Why? Hurts is not a starting QB. That's clear as day now. 

• Like 2

Yes, he's had more than half a season. He's not getting any better. He's arguably getting worse. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Road to Victory said:

We replaced a legit starter at QB last year. Mailata wasn't a legit starter last year when injuries forced him to play. He learned and got better every week. 

If we are going to continue to start Hurts, it would be nice to see weekly improvement.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Godfather said:

He should've been benched already. Yes 

He should never have been drafted. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Uscg-green said:

So to those 29 people that want to keep going with this train wreck. Why? Hurts is not a starting QB. That's clear as day now. 

The whole team is a train wreck, from the FO, coaching, Oline, WR’s and defense. 

i understand your frustration but there’s maybe 5 guys that are playing well like Goedert, Kelce, Smith (up and down) Slay and Hargrave. Should we bench the rest?

9 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Most likely to make it clear to everyone involved that he's not the one. Also draft pick

There may be a few that still believe though

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

We replaced a legit starter at QB last year. Mailata wasn't a legit starter last year when injuries forced him to play. He learned and got better every week. 

If we are going to continue to start Hurts, it would be nice to see weekly improvement.

That’s on the coaching staff too. Look how Pederson and Reich coddled Wentz in his rookie year. They toned down the playbook and gave him easy plays to build his confidence. This coaching staff just throws Hurts to the wolves and expects him to carry the team. 

8 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

He should never have been drafted. 

Agreed

2 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

I want the highest pick possible. This season is a waste. (no playoffs). So I'd rather be TOp 10 in the draft(where you almost have a cant miss pick) instead of mid teens where we've seen Howie screw those picks up.

You dont want to tune in to see them lose, I do. I root for the Giants, Redskins and Cowboys to win, while rooting for the Eagles to Lose. It's an investment. It's the labor of the fruit. 

I could never ever under any circumstances Root for the Gnats or Dallass

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

The whole team is a train wreck, from the FO, coaching, Oline, WR’s and defense. 

i understand your frustration but there’s maybe 5 guys that are playing well like Goedert, Kelce, Smith (up and down) Slay and Hargrave. Should we bench the rest?

You can't bench a whole team. You can bench the most important position on the team who's playing like dog crap though. 

5 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

That’s on the coaching staff too. Look how Pederson and Reich coddled Wentz in his rookie year. They toned down the playbook and gave him easy plays to build his confidence. This coaching staff just throws Hurts to the wolves and expects him to carry the team. 

Our entire offensive scheme is built to coddle Hurts. He is 85% of our offense --- not because we don't have other weapons, but because this is how Hurts plays. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

Agreed.  But I would be interested to see what Minshew can do.  These guys may be both competing for the backup job, we know Flacco isn't here past this year.

19 minutes ago, Gannan said:

Yes, he's had more than half a season. He's not getting any better. He's arguably getting worse. 

I agree.  I had been advocating for him all year, but last night sealed it for me.  He's regressing, not improving.  Made the Raiders D look like world beaters with a depleted secondary.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

:roll: Replacing Urban Meyer with Doug Marrone doesn't make my point weaker.

And they put Glennon in to ensure the Minshew didn't pull out a late season win and screw up the Lawrence sweepstakes.

28 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

27 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

18 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Most likely to make it clear to everyone involved that he's not the one. Also draft pick

There may be a few that still believe though

I think it’s far more likely than not that Hurts isn’t the guy. But I have seen some positives and he is getting very little help from the line, the play-calling and the D.

People want to start Minshew. Why? Minshew has started over 20 games and the most the Jags could get for him was a conditional 6th. Are all the league’s scouts just stupid that they can’t see a potential franchise guy? No - he almost certainly isn’t good enough.

Sure we may win a couple more games with Minshew, but how does that help right now?

I want to see at least another 6-7 games from Hurts against some weaker teams. See if he can get anything going. If he’s still bad then we can have a look at Minshew, but to be honest Minshew probably gets a shot next year anyway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

People want to start Minshew. Why?

To see if he is serviceable for next year because this draft is crap for QBs

• Like 2

8 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

At this point I’m conflicted. I know Hurts sucks, and what you see is what you get. Enough with all the "It’s only his __th start” crap. In recent years, we’ve seen rookies come in and look competent right off the bat, or at least show improvement. I don’t see it with Hurts. At the same time, I agree with @Mike030270. I worry that winning kills draft position. There is also the part of me that feels Lurie needs to suffer the worst humiliation he’s ever felt in order to move Howie out. 

I’ve said it before. Until Howie is gone, everything else is just painting over rust. 

Exactly.  Fans expecting Flacco or Minshew to win with this team don't see the big picture. This team isn't winning anything.

Let Siri, Gannon and Hurts all stay in their positions all season and if they lose and the benefits are higher draft picks, potential embarrassment to expose Howie and even Lurie's own approach and maybe changes will come.

If Hurts continues playing bad and doesn't improve, they might bench him for a few games at the end of the season to see if one of the backups makes a difference.  Maybe it shows if the offense runs better under a different QB. maybe it validates Siri's playbook who knows.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Here's a scenario:  Hurts continuing to play bad looks bad for HOWIE.  He drafted this kid in the 2nd right after giving $100 million to Wentz.  He traded Wentz to make room for Hurts.  Howie doesn't know what he's doing.  I know we think Lurie won't ever fire Howie, but maybe if the locker room is lost and some guys are vocal you never know.  

Just now, NOTW said:

Here's a scenario:  Hurts continuing to play bad looks bad for HOWIE.  He drafted this kid in the 2nd right after giving $100 million to Wentz.  He traded Wentz to make room for Hurts.  Howie doesn't know what he's doing.  I know we think Lurie won't ever fire Howie, but maybe if the locker room is lost and some guys are vocal you never know.  

I think it's already clear as day that Howie Fed up beyond belief. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

To see if he is serviceable for next year because this draft is crap for QBs

4 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Exactly.  Fans expecting Flacco or Minshew to win with this team don't see the big picture. This team isn't winning anything.

Let Siri, Gannon and Hurts all stay in their positions all season and if they lose and the benefits are higher draft picks, potential embarrassment to expose Howie and even Lurie's own approach and maybe changes will come.

If Hurts continues playing bad and doesn't improve, they might bench him for a few games at the end of the season to see if one of the backups makes a difference.  Maybe it shows if the offense runs better under a different QB. maybe it validates Siri's playbook who knows.

Do you think Minshew could be the franchise guy or not? Because I don’t care if he’s serviceable. We can find serviceable QBs.

As NOTW says if Hurts isn’t showing anything in the next 6-7 weeks, then maybe take a look at Minshew or Flacco.

6 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

I think it's already clear as day that Howie Fed up beyond belief. 

We all know that, it's what will convince Lurie?  If Minshew or Flacco get in there and start playing better, they just get rid of Hurts like they did Foles and Wentz and Howie says we just haven't found our QB, it's hard to find a great QB in the NFL, let's look to the draft.

I suppose he can do that either way.  But this team isn't winning anything anyway they stink.  I could see if the season is over and they put in Minshew to audition to remain on the team as a backup next year but that's about it.

If nothing else, you want higher draft picks.

• Like 1