Where do you stand on QB for 2022

ManchesterEagle

Where do you stand on QB for 2022  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do at QB in 2022

• Hurts is the guy in 2022 and beyond - I'm convinced.
    • Roll with Hurts in 2022 with Minshew as back-up - see how it plays out.
    • Should be open competition between Hurts and Minshew in TC
    • Minshew should start
    • Trade for Deshaun Watson
    • Trade for Russell Wilson
    • Trade for Aaron Rodgers
    • Trade up in first to get a QB (say who in the comments)
    • Stay put in first to get a QB (say who in comments)
    • Trade a low rounder for Kirk Cousins
    • Sign Teddy Bridgewater
    • Sign another free agent to compete with Hurts/Minshew (say who in comments)

I was having a discussion in the Hurts topic and one of the posters suggested most on the board were thinking the same way for 2022.

I'm not so sure and just interested to see where people are at.

I've included Wilson and Rodgers, even though I don't think either is a realistic possibility (Wilson has basically said he's staying in Seattle, doubtful Rodgers would come to the Eagles)

Note - in most of the scenarios, the Eagles may still draft a QB, but I've assumed if it's not in the first, the QB will unlikely be in the immediate plans for 2022.

Hurts for 2022. Draft for defense with the 3 first rounders. 

• Like 19

I am fine with the QB room in 2022 being Hurts and Minshew. The 3rd QB can be anyone.

This team needs MORE than just a QB. 

Use 2 of your first round draft picks on Defense. Trade one of those for more draft capital in the future. 

• Like 8

I voted for open competition between Hurts and Minshew.   Every position should be handled that way, without exception.  

Salary or draft position should have no influence on the outcome.   The money and draft picks are already spent.   May the best man win.

If the owner, GM and coach could leave their egos at home, it could happen.   But in the real world, it never does.

• Like 5

I see it going like this 

option. 1 Keep Hurts and build around him.

Option 2 Trading Hurts to a team like the Browns because they see how great our run offense became and adding that scheme wise to the Browns would make them able to compete with anyone and would give them a true leader unlike Baker and strengthen their offense. We get a 1st round pick and we draft a new QB like Matt Corral from Ole Miss and build around him for the next 5 years.

Option three and I see as the most unlikely trading for a veteran QB. I don’t think we should do this. Aaron Rodgers is only 3 years away for retirement. Russell isn’t getting younger and his injuries are taking a toll. Watson is a law risk and a woman hater. 

• Haha 1

As many have mentioned this team needs way too much that just a QB is the answer to being a SB contender and thus why I don't want to trade all/any of our 1st Round picks for either Wilson/Rodgers (don't think it likely either would want to come here anyway), both of whom will be ready to retire by the time we build enough of a full team around them.  No thanks to the older and short shelf life QBs that will cost us high draft picks and cap space that will make it tougher to build a team around them.  Watson just has too many issues to deal with so no thanks.

Now that it looks like our three 1st Rounders will all be in the late teens to mid 20s range that most likely takes us out of the Pickett/Corral range.  Carson Strong could be in play in that range, but he'd need a full year studying how to run an NFL O before he could start.  Coming from a college Air Raid system is going to be a big adjustment for the kid.  Should they think he could be the answer to their long term QB question then I won't be mad if we draft him with 1 of the first 3 picks.  I just wouldn't expect him to start until 2023 which then begs the question can we keep all of Hurts/Minshew/Strong on the team?  At that point I think trading Hurts would be an option since he's likely to get better value than Minshew in a trade.

I also would prefer not to trade up in the 1st Round as I don't think either of Pickett/Corral are worth giving up the draft capital for.  When the Dolphins were sucking and we had a top ten pick then I'd be OK with using it straight up on Pickett, but trading into the top 10 now is too costly and we have too many holes to fill.  There are a good number of teams looking for a QB this off-season and QBs always get overdrafted so those 2 plus at least 1 other QB will be picked before the mid teens. 

We still have 2 more games to play and they are relevant games for a WC playoff spot.  That's 2 opportunities for Hurts to make his case to get a new 1 year lease.  Here's the big stage vs 2 division rivals to see if he has really progressed.  IMO, he's still far too inconsistent and lacks certain instinctive qualities to be a decent starting QB.  I don't think he's the long term answer to the QB question.  I think with what will turn out to be a lack of options that Hurts and Minshew will be back in 2022 and in 2023 we'll go looking for a QB.  So whether that makes for an open QB competition or they still roll with Hurts as QB1 and Minshew as the backup depends on how Hurts plays the next 2 games with playoff implications on the line.  Should he ish the bed like he did in the first NYG game then it should be an open competition.  Should he play OK, even if we lose but we don't lose because of him, then he'll be QB1 for 2022.

What are other options?  Trade Hurts and a draft pick for Carr?  Carr is 28yo so you could get another 7-8 years from him while not giving away the farm and allows you to add much needed young talent to the team.  I think most would consider him an upgrade at the position.  Maybe behind our OL with our ground game and paired with Sirianni while we build a stronger D that would be enough to put us in the SB mix in a short(er) time? 

Loads of moving parts here and with our draft picks sliding further towards the back end of the draft that means less options.  Unless Lowie is dead set on blowing their load for a QB then it's likely we'll see Hurts/Minshew in 2022.

• Like 2

Let's see how we feel after the playoffs/end of season. But:

#1 Hurts, Minshew backup.

Trade one pick back to later in the 1st or 2nd, get a 1st in 2023.

Trade up to draft a QB in 2023 if Hurts isn't the answer after next season. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

Try to trade for one of Wilson/Rodgers/Watson.

Rodgers, I wish. No thanks to air thrusting splooging all over himself, perv. 

Wilson, nah. Hes going down hill.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was torn between roll with Hurts and Minshew as back up and open competition between Hurts and Minshew. Ultimately I think it should be an open competition between them but I don't think the organisation are going to do that. I think they'll trade Minshew because he's going to have more value than what they traded to get him. I also think Sirianni has apparently made it clear that Hurts is the guy right now. On that basis I can't see an open competition where Minshew overtakes Hurts in the off season. 

My plan would be the following:

• Keep Hurts and Minshew for 2022. This allows:
  • Two 1st round picks on defense. 2nd Round pick on defense
  • Try and trade one first rounder for future picks preferably another 1st next year.
  • Re-assess QB in 2022.
  • Draft QB in 2023

Seems like a good draft to improve defense and build the team. Not wanting to trade for Wilson, Watson or Rogers. Don't want a QB from this draft.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Roll with Hurts and Minshew in 2022 and reassess at the end of next season.  Giving up a boatload of picks (and the amount of cap it would eat) to trade for one of those vets would be a ridiculous move for a team that has so many areas of need (adding one isn't going to leapfrog us to the top of the NFC), and the prospects in the upcoming draft class do not look to have future franchise QB potential (they seem to be closer to a group that consists of Trubisky, Darnold, Daniel Jones, maybe Mayfield at best than they are Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, Allen, etc).  

I am definitely down with the plan to use 2 of those 2022 1s to add some much needed young talented playmakers to this roster (preferably defense but if they use one on someone like Linderbaum how can you argue with that?) and trying to move one of them to acquire a 2023 1st to put us in position to get a QB then should a need still exist.  

• Like 1

Hurts was given the entire season and I'm willing to stick to that.  If he makes the playoffs, i don't see how you don't give him another year.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Hurts was given the entire season and I'm willing to stick to that.  If he makes the playoffs, i don't see how you don't give him another year.

Depends on the front office, if he craps out in the playoffs with bad passing against better teams I can see them moving in another direction. Especially if they don't think he will get much better. 

I believe he will go into 2022 as the starter with a short leash. 

19 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Depends on the front office, if he craps out in the playoffs with bad passing against better teams I can see them moving in another direction. Especially if they don't think he will get much better. 

I believe he will go into 2022 as the starter with a short leash. 

Playoffs is my barometer.  That's enough to get another year no questions asked from me.  BTW I think he will be forced to beat Dallas in week 18 to get there and I do think Dallas will be playing for HFA.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Playoffs is my barometer.  That's enough to get another year no questions asked from me.  BTW I think he will be forced to beat Dallas in week 18 to get there and I do think Dallas will be playing for HFA.

If that's how it plays out, I think that will make or break his career

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

If that's the case, that reg season game with playoff implications is a lot of pressure similar to a playoff game so that's good experience for him.  

I do think they will have Hurts as the starter going into next year, they tend to give guys time and excuses like new coach/scheme, injuries, playmaker drops, etc.  I think he gets next year then if he proves he's not the long-term answer they make a change in 2023.  But as you say, if he doesn't perform well in the playoffs that could change.  Howie will get the itch to seek out another QB whether free agency or draft.  

IF it's true what they say, that next year's QB class should be better (things change you never know) then I like trading one of the picks this year back to get a 2023 pick to then have 2 next year and trade up for the guy they want.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NOTW said:

If that's the case, that reg season game with playoff implications is a lot of pressure similar to a playoff game so that's good experience for him.  

I do think they will have Hurts as the starter going into next year, they tend to give guys time and excuses like new coach/scheme, injuries, playmaker drops, etc.  I think he gets next year then if he proves he's not the long-term answer they make a change in 2023.  But as you say, if he doesn't perform well in the playoffs that could change.  Howie will get the itch to seek out another QB whether free agency or draft.  

IF it's true what they say, that next year's QB class should be better (things change you never know) then I like trading one of the picks this year back to get a 2023 pick to then have 2 next year and trade up for the guy they want.

Even if they don't make the playoffs due to tie breakers, at 9-8, Hurts is probably the guy anyways.  I suspect Howie will be looking to trade one of those 1st rd picks into 2023 so he can once again have the ammo for a Qb plan.

1 hour ago, rrfierce said:

Keep hurts For 2022, if we’re a running team now do we need an elite QB? 

I think we became a running team more because Hurts hasn’t yet developed his passing game enough to be successful … while I believe he has shown steady improvement he is still a work in progress.  A QB that is a legitimate passing threat and can use his legs the way Hurts can would be a tremendous boost.  Jury is still out on whether or not Hurts can become that kind of QB but I do agree he has shown enough to warrant further evaluation for another year.  It is going to be fun to watch him these next couple of weeks to see how he performs with the pressure of a postseason appearance on the line and in the playoffs if we are fortunate enough to make it.  

I like both Pickett and Strong. Having said that, I don't want to trade up for either or reach for either. If they make it to a good spot, take them.

Having said that, the team is in desperate need of talent on both sides, but especially the defense. Let Hurts and Minshew battle it out.

• Like 1

If they were smart they would bring Hurts back for 2022.  You can bring Minshew back as well but he wants to start and with a QB weak draft they might be able to flip him for a 3rd or 2nd to a team like the Steelers.  

Build up the defense in the draft, take a new RB in the 2nd or 3rd and maybe sign a veteran WR.   Goodwin would be perfect and he might come cheaper after that injury although if he takes a discount for injury I bet it would be to stay with the Bucs but we will see. I think Gallup would also be a great fit. 

Maybe trade one of the first round picks for an established veteran difference maker on defense. 

15 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I was having a discussion in the Hurts topic and one of the posters suggested most on the board were thinking the same way for 2022.

I'm not so sure and just interested to see where people are at.

I think the poll results are pretty conclusive that most people agree with, at a minimum, keeping the qb room the same for 2022. The Minshew/Hurts debate can probably be kept on ice for the 2022 preseason, as the team has shown no inclination to play Minshew the rest of this year.

As I stated in the Hurts topic, there really is no debate to be had. There just isn't a solid option in the draft at this point, and no one wants to pay the price for a vet like Wilson. And even if a prospect has a massive senior bowl performance a la Herbert or Jones, there are enough qb needy teams likely drafting ahead of the Eagles (Panthers, Steelers, Broncos, WFT) that moving up for someone ahead of all those teams will likely cost a lot of draft capital anyway, which no one wants to spend.

It is amazing to me that so much vitriol has been spewed over this topic when, essentially, everyone feels the same way about it. But it doesn't surprise me.

• Like 1