Where do you stand on QB for 2022

ManchesterEagle

Where do you stand on QB for 2022  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do at QB in 2022

• Hurts is the guy in 2022 and beyond - I'm convinced.
    • Roll with Hurts in 2022 with Minshew as back-up - see how it plays out.
    • Should be open competition between Hurts and Minshew in TC
    • Minshew should start
    • Trade for Deshaun Watson
    • Trade for Russell Wilson
    • Trade for Aaron Rodgers
    • Trade up in first to get a QB (say who in the comments)
    • Stay put in first to get a QB (say who in comments)
    • Trade a low rounder for Kirk Cousins
    • Sign Teddy Bridgewater
    • Sign another free agent to compete with Hurts/Minshew (say who in comments)

Even though I wish the Eagles could get a premium QB, now isn't the time. What time is it? It's time to use those #1 picks wisely, and build this team properly. Which means letting Hurts and Minny_2 play in 2022, and use the ground n pound to win you some games as you continue to build the team the right way. That's IF (that's a mighty big if) Howie bumps his head and chooses wisely during this off season.

43 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

I think the poll results are pretty conclusive that most people agree with, at a minimum, keeping the qb room the same for 2022. The Minshew/Hurts debate can probably be kept on ice for the 2022 preseason, as the team has shown no inclination to play Minshew the rest of this year.

As I stated in the Hurts topic, there really is no debate to be had. There just isn't a solid option in the draft at this point, and no one wants to pay the price for a vet like Wilson. And even if a prospect has a massive senior bowl performance a la Herbert or Jones, there are enough qb needy teams likely drafting ahead of the Eagles (Panthers, Steelers, Broncos, WFT) that moving up for someone ahead of all those teams will likely cost a lot of draft capital anyway, which no one wants to spend.

It is amazing to me that so much vitriol has been spewed over this topic when, essentially, everyone feels the same way about it. But it doesn't surprise me.

Yep - you were pretty much right. I was surprised to be honest, given some of the posts about Hurts and calls for him to be benched.

But yes - Hurts (and probably Minshew) just makes by far the most sense for next year and I’m glad the majority of the board see that trading for "an elite QB” is not viable due to the cost and need to add young talent to the D.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

But yes - Hurts (and probably Minshew) just makes by far the most sense for next year and I’m glad the majority of the board see that trading for "an elite QB” is not viable due to the cost and need to add young talent to the D.

Doesn’t matter what the majority of the board feels.  Just hope Howie feels the same way.  Unfortunately I have almost zero faith in him doing the right thing.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The one guy that intrigues me and I can't wait to watch against Bama today is Ridder.  As a late 1st rd pick he could be very interesting.

Seems at this point very unlikely the Eagles make a move to give up a lot of cap space and assets to go after a different quarterback than one they already have. I also highly doubt any of the alleged ones want to come here anyways. I think the Eagles feel like they could use an influx of talent on this defense and realize their wide receiver position needs an upgrade. They could probably use another veteran TE pass catching TE as well. It’s more likely Howie uses one or more of these first to load up for the 2023 draft rather than use them to try and trade for one of these old veterans or a troubled Watson who will likely be suspended and doesn’t want to play here. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Yep - you were pretty much right. I was surprised to be honest, given some of the posts about Hurts and calls for him to be benched.

I do think Howie explores the possibility of trading Minshew. After one start and beating the hapless Jets he’s barging into the coaches office thinking he should start well that could lead to unnecessary drama. If Howie could flip Minshew from a 6th to a 3rd he’d definitely do it. The only question is who would be the new backup. Dare we say another Nick Foles return? By the way a Foles return wouldn’t be so bad. We know that guy can win in relief, and the fan base mostly knows Foles can’t really be the guy. He’s also not the type to presume anything, and he’d be more than willing to help Hurts get better. He also wouldn’t cost all that much either. 

10 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

After one start and beating the hapless Jets he’s barging into the coaches office thinking he should start well that could lead to unnecessary drama

That only leads to drama on this message board. Barging into his office? Lol. Now that's being dramatic

2 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

That only leads to drama on this message board. Barging into his office? Lol. Now that's being dramatic

Who cares about message board drama? Either way it’s pretty presumptuous for him to even ask the question after one start. 

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

Who cares about message board drama? Either way it’s pretty presumptuous for him to even ask the question after one start. 

I'm saying the only place that situation spells drama is on this message board, not in the locker room who cares if he asked how he can start. It's not that serious lol. The guy is showing he is competitive and is looking for an opportunity as well. I wouldn't want my back up to be ok with sitting on the bench. He didn't demand to be the starter or say he should be starting he asked how he can get a chance to be a starter. Big difference. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I'm saying the only place that situation spells drama is on this message board, not in the locker room who cares if he asked how he can start. It's not that serious lol. The guy is showing he is competitive and is looking for an opportunity as well. I wouldn't want my back up to be ok with sitting on the bench. He didn't demand to be the starter or say he should be starting he asked how he can get a chance to be a starter. Big difference. 

Well it could be an issue if the guy believes he’s a starter and wants out. These have been issues in the past with other teams. Montana and Young are an example (though neither of these guys are on that level) and Wentz and Foles were an issue with the latter having a statue and a shrine built for him in the locker room. The main thing is if Roseman can flip Minshew for a 3rd I believe he will trade him. #quarterbackfactory. 

20 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Well it could be an issue if the guy believes he’s a starter and wants out. These have been issues in the past with other teams. Montana and Young are an example (though neither of these guys are on that level) and Wentz and Foles were an issue with the latter having a statue and a shrine built for him in the locker room. The main thing is if Roseman can flip Minshew for a 3rd I believe he will trade him. #quarterbackfactory. 

Meh, Nick already shot it down for this season anyways. 

4 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Meh, Nick already shot it down for this season anyways. 

That was then. This is 2022 off-season stuff. That was also a trade, and I don’t think the Eagles would have to trade for Foles. I think he gets released. 

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

That was then. This is 2022 off-season stuff. That was also a trade, and I don’t think the Eagles would have to trade for Foles. I think he gets released. 

Lots can happen between then and now

I cant vote because my answer is not an option:

You get one of Rodgers or wilson, if not and there is no QB in the draft worthy of drafting, you start Minshew next year. And HOPE there is a QB you love and you are able to be in position to draft next year - Otherwise we are looking at not having a real QB for 3-5 years from now. Which is unacceptable. 

86% of fans polled agree that (at the very least) Hurts should be given the opportunity to start with Minshew as either backup or with open competition.  I think that's refreshing to see and my theory stands firm: Most posters that "hate Hurts" (specifically in the Eagles Blog) are nothing more than a loud, vocal minority.   

Well done, Eagles fans, well done.   :Eagle_smiley:

22 hours ago, GroundAttack said:

Hurts for 2022. Draft for defense with the 3 first rounders. 

21 hours ago, LacesOut said:

I am fine with the QB room in 2022 being Hurts and Minshew. The 3rd QB can be anyone.

This team needs MORE than just a QB. 

Use 2 of your first round draft picks on Defense. Trade one of those for more draft capital in the future. 

I’ve only seen these first two responses thus far, but they encapsulate how I feel.  I see no need to invest a lot of draft capital in a QB from this particular class, and would much rather use those picks on young, affordable talent elsewhere on the field (and preferably defensive playmakers).  I am basing these feelings in part on the notion that it sure seems no one is sold on any of these draft-eligible QBs being very close to a sure-fire franchise guy.  Obviously, one or more of these guys could end up being just that, but it feels even more "crapshoot” than it normally does with this class.  

The other part of this for me is that while I’m definitely not convinced Hurts is a long term answer, I’m completely fine giving him at least another season at the helm - and just don’t feel any of these draftable guys are clear and obvious upgrades.  Hurts may or may not be the guy, but he has helped a team that Vegas projected at I believe 6.5 wins preseason best that already, and they’re on the verge of possibly making the playoffs.  If he and Sirianni have another season together, there’s reason to believe they may both improve further.  I have always loved Russell Wilson, but this past season gives me serious pause on whether I’d give up a ton to get him.  Perhaps if the price is right, but I doubt that would be the case and as OP has mentioned he has made it sound like he doesn’t want to leave anyway.  I don’t see Rodgers as a realistic possibility, and while I don’t see it happening it sounds as if retirement has crept into his mind as a possible option - even if he wanted to be here, this would make me leery for down the road.  

I do like the idea of keeping Minshew around, but as QB2.  I think Hurts deserves that much, at least.

Keep Hurts and Minshew and draft another QB in the 2nd and 3rd round just to keep things interesting.

QB factory baby!

Even if hurts doesn’t managed to ball out in the next 2 games and we don’t get to the play offs, has he really failed that much for us to replace him next year? 

I don’t think so - he’s definitely limited at the moment, but I think it’s case of there not being an obviously better option without sacrificing the good of the team. Draft heavy defence and hurts improvement and we’ll be a legitimate play off team 

I’m not sold on Hurts, but I also am not sold on any QBs in the draft. I’d roll with Hurts and Minshew for another year and load up the rest of the team. see where we are at with the QB situation after 2022. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

86% of fans polled agree that (at the very least) Hurts should be given the opportunity to start with Minshew as either backup or with open competition.  I think that's refreshing to see and my theory stands firm: Most posters that "hate Hurts" (specifically in the Eagles Blog) are nothing more than a loud, vocal minority.   

Well done, Eagles fans, well done.   :Eagle_smiley:

You know how dumb you sound

I'm really excited for Hurts in the playoffs.  I can fully envision him having a big game passing and running all over the place.   

• Like 1

For the keep Minshew crowd what round draft pick would it require for you to trade him?  I think it would have to be at least a 2nd round pick.  If you keep him then maybe he gets a contract from a QB desperate team that makes him a 3rd round compensatory pick or maybe something happens next season where Minshew is playing at some point and runs away with the job for the future.  For those reasons it must be a 2nd round pick.