Cutting the cord

wholesale_Melvin

14 minutes ago, Gannan said:

What cable company includes netflix and hbo for free? By the time I paid the cable company to get all of the stuff I stream it would cost me hundreds more. I get my internet through verizon. If I wanted just basic cable with DVR it would cost me 130 without any premium channels or streaming services. 

Xfinity offers netflix free with certain packages. Don't need hulu since all the shows on regular tv are on demand with xfinity and peacock is free as well with xfinity. You don't have to use their equipment either that takes off 20 bucks a month. 

I guess it depends on your situation I used streaming services  since 2015 and it wasn't making sense anymore. So went and got cable and basically pay 60 bucks for 200 channels and 80 for pretty high speed internet. If I used my own equipment it would be even cheaper. 

Im getting closer and closer to doing this. Right now we rent a small house and only have one cable box so the savings would be kind of small. However if I ever need to get another box or buy a house where Ill have multiple TVs I will be cutting the cord for sure. With being able to watch live sports now, even if it were the same price Id rather do it just to screw the cable companies.

2 hours ago, BirdsFanBill said:

Im getting closer and closer to doing this. Right now we rent a small house and only have one cable box so the savings would be kind of small. However if I ever need to get another box or buy a house where Ill have multiple TVs I will be cutting the cord for sure. With being able to watch live sports now, even if it were the same price Id rather do it just to screw the cable companies.

The problem is most of the internet we have comes from those cable and satellite companies. Can't stream without internet and they know this and will just keep effing with internet the more customers they lose from their tv service. 

Seems like more companies are trying to start their own home internet services so maybe that helps keep the cost down. 

9 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I had fubotv it was 60 bucks a month for almost 100 channels. Flat rate thought it was all good but, every few months they would add channels and take channels away. The last time they added espn and abc but took away tnt and tbs and increased it to 70 bucks. 

So at that point it was 70 bucks and still didn't have all the channels I liked. So 70 for fubotv, 15 for netflix 8 for hulu and 15 for HBOmax. So 108 bucks to get bits and pieces of what I wanted to watch on 4 different platforms and still doesn't include the internet I need to stream all of that. Internet is more expensive just buying it outside of a bundle so that's another 80 bucks. 

So 188 bucks for half ass tv and internet when I can get a bundle from the cable company for all the channels I want and don't need 3 of those streaming services because of what cable provides and pay 130 all together. 

130 for good cable and internet with hbo and Netflix and hd dvr boxes? I call bs. I can't even get basic internet and cable with 1 sd box for 130 

1 hour ago, BFit said:

130 for good cable and internet with hbo and Netflix and hd dvr boxes? I call bs. I can't even get basic internet and cable with 1 sd box for 130 

No no I didn't mean it that way. I had those streaming services with fubotv but since I got xfinity I don't need them because I get peacock for free and all the on demand stuff is like having another streaming service. 

There is packages that do include netflix and hbo but yes they would be more expensive. 

My package does have 200 channels,  good internet,  peacock, all the on demand and an HD dr box for 130. 

Cable does have location based pricing, people further up north from me pay a sheet ton more then I do because they are up.in the mountains and they only have 1 cable.provider so pay out the ass for their cable.or.get nothing

I only pay $12 Netflix, $6 Disney+ (1 year deal when i signed up), $45 for AT&T fiber 1000mbps.

Free HBO Max via AT&T, free shared Hulu Plus, free Amazon Prime shared account with family. 

$18 streaming. $45 internet. That's it. 

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

I only pay $12 Netflix, $6 Disney+ (1 year deal when i signed up), $45 for AT&T fiber 1000mbps.

Free HBO Max via AT&T, free shared Hulu Plus, free Amazon Prime shared account with family. 

$18 streaming. $45 internet. That's it. 

Yeah yeah I know all about your so called " sharing" lol

I'm hoping more internet options come available around here soon. Seems like a lot of companies are starting to get their own Internet service. 

closed out Directv today; and the experience wasn't so bad. BUT it sure feels like the day you sign divorce papers.

follow me on this:

Your relationship starts off with DTV with a lot of excitement and you spend a lot of time together but slowly, over the years you can't find anything in common and eventually realize you're in it only for the kids (the ticket) , you're spending less time together  and just putting up a front, until one day you realize you haven't had an hour together besides the weekends with the kids (the ticket). You decide it's best to end it but directv begs  you to stay but can't offer any reason other than more of the same (that you know will just cost more in the long run). Finally you cut all times and yeah you lose half but  the freedom and the realization that it was really just directv entertaining, not maturing is like a breath of fresh air.

then you realize you've been off the market so long and start a new relationship with the hot young service. 

20 minutes ago, wholesale_Melvin said:

closed out Directv today; and the experience wasn't so bad. BUT it sure feels like the day you sign divorce papers.

follow me on this:

Your relationship starts off with DTV with a lot of excitement and you spend a lot of time together but slowly, over the years you can't find anything in common and eventually realize you're in it only for the kids (the ticket) , you're spending less time together  and just putting up a front, until one day you realize you haven't had an hour together besides the weekends with the kids (the ticket). You decide it's best to end it but directv begs  you to stay but can't offer any reason other than more of the same (that you know will just cost more in the long run). Finally you cut all times and yeah you lose half but  the freedom and the realization that it was really just directv entertaining, not maturing is like a breath of fresh air.

then you realize you've been off the market so long and start a new relationship with the hot young service. 

That pretty much sums it up lol. What if you go from the hot young service to the the old more expensive but reliable cable service?? Would you say that I finally settled down?

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

That pretty much sums it up lol. What if you go from the hot young service to the the old more expensive but reliable cable service?? Would you say that I finally settled down?

I'd say you had settled for something, yes. 

4 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I actually didn't experience great reliability with my cable from service electric.   Not just that the DVR often wouldn't record shows that it was supposed to. But the cable itself sometimes glitched as if it was a streaming service that needed to buffer.

I haven't even had that happen with the streaming.  But cable acted that way for me at times. 

Been with youtube TV for a while now and haven't missed cable for a second. It's smooth. The interface is intuitive.  And it's significantly cheaper. Channel lineup and price have been consistent so far too.

34 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I actually didn't experience great reliability with my cable from service electric.   Not just that the DVR often wouldn't record shows that it was supposed to. But the cable itself sometimes glitched as if it was a streaming service that needed to buffer.

I haven't even had that happen with the streaming.  But cable acted that way for me at times. 

Been with youtube TV for a while now and haven't missed cable for a second. It's smooth. The interface is intuitive.  And it's significantly cheaper. Channel lineup and price have been consistent so far too.

I've heard a lot of bad things about service electric. It sucks that is what you are basically stuck with up there. 

I guess it depends on what you like and prefer for me it just wasn't making sense for me anymore. I've actually had zero problems so far with Comcast for as horrible as they can be. 

On 2/26/2021 at 11:13 AM, Bwestbrook36 said:

Xfinity offers netflix free with certain packages. Don't need hulu since all the shows on regular tv are on demand with xfinity and peacock is free as well with xfinity. You don't have to use their equipment either that takes off 20 bucks a month. 

I guess it depends on your situation I used streaming services  since 2015 and it wasn't making sense anymore. So went and got cable and basically pay 60 bucks for 200 channels and 80 for pretty high speed internet. If I used my own equipment it would be even cheaper. 

How is your internet speed with comcast? The last time I lived in PA and had comcast my upload speed was usually in the teens and I was lucky to break the low 20's with download speed. They came out and looked at it a few times, and told me that as as fast as it could get. 

1 hour ago, Gannan said:

How is your internet speed with comcast? The last time I lived in PA and had comcast my upload speed was usually in the teens and I was lucky to break the low 20's with download speed. They came out and looked at it a few times, and told me that as as fast as it could get. 

I honestly haven't really looked. Everything runs smooth and have no issue downloading games and stuff in a few minutes or so. I know you don't ever get to speeds you pay for with them but, some people get more speed then they will ever need cause they are nuts lol. Mine is supposed to be 300mps. 

HBO Max has so. Much. Content. 

Most of network tv is garbage and dumbed down and cliche formulas. Cable isn't much better (it used to be good years ago). Most of any that are actually good you can watch on Hulu or they go streaming eventually and you can binge. 

6 hours ago, NOTW said:

HBO Max has so. Much. Content. 

Most of network tv is garbage and dumbed down and cliche formulas. Cable isn't much better (it used to be good years ago). Most of any that are actually good you can watch on Hulu or they go streaming eventually and you can binge. 

I like to plop my ass on the couch and flip through channels like a real man. 

29 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

you'll pay your high bills like a real man too. personally, i like pu&&y and now i can afford it.

15 minutes ago, wholesale_Melvin said:

you'll pay your high bills like a real man too. personally, i like pu&&y and now i can afford it.

Nope as stated above I'm paying the same as I was with streaming. So I flip and dip like a real man son. 

Excellent point.

• Like 1

You can flip through streaming channels and scroll with your remote on streaming apps.  You are scrolling through channels full of garbage and fluff.  500 channels and nothing good on.  

Cable/satellite is a dinosaur going extinct.

:lol:  

on my 2nd week of youtube tv (instead of cable)...it is very good so far...a hell of a lot cheaper...and more reliable.  but it does take longer to navigate in/out of the different apps than it did to just flip through the guide with cable. it's nothing drastic but it takes a few clicks to launch youtube tv and a few seconds for it to load before i can click over to live tv...vs the old way of just turning my tv on to instantly get cable. it's a cost vs convenience thing, imo. and i'll wait a few seconds if it means saving $140 a month. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

on my 2nd week of youtube tv (instead of cable)...it is very good so far...a hell of a lot cheaper...and more reliable.  but it does take longer to navigate in/out of the different apps than it did to just flip through the guide with cable. it's nothing drastic but it takes a few clicks to launch youtube tv and a few seconds for it to load before i can click over to live tv...vs the old way of just turning my tv on to instantly get cable. it's a cost vs convenience thing, imo. and i'll wait a few seconds if it means saving $140 a month. 

i really am liking you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr_hunt said:

I didn't mind the live streaming tv setup to much. Fubotv was pretty responsive and had ton of channels but like I said they got rid of tnt and tbs right when the NBA was coming back to play in the bubble. I was just going to switch to youtube tv but, they had some channels missing that I liked so said the hell with it. 

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

You can flip through streaming channels and scroll with your remote on streaming apps.  You are scrolling through channels full of garbage and fluff.  500 channels and nothing good on.  

Cable/satellite is a dinosaur going extinct.

I don't man most of those streaming apps is kind of the same thing scrolling through a bunch of crap I don't want to watch. I get netflix when something comes on that I want to watch I binge it then cancel it. I'll find a few other things I like while I have it for the month but end up just looking through the same junk that doesn't interest me. 

I just got HBO MAX watched a bunch of stuff I wanted to watch and now I'm bored with it lol. If you are sharing accounts it's great but, of you are not paying 15 bucks a month to watch 2 or 3 movies and a few series only takes like a few days out of the month that's not worth 15 bucks a month to me. 

It's becoming oversaturated and I'm not going to subscribe to 10 streaming apps because they all have like 1 or 2 things I want to watch on it.

It will all come back around when the people you need internet from start jacking up the prices cause they are losing cable and satellite customers

Eventually things will evolve and the markets will settle.  People were getting a little bored with Netflix and Hulu then Disney and HBO Max came out.  Eventually people will have watched all the content they care about on those too, and will expect new content.  The bigger streaming companies will continue buying content and buying out entire catalogs to have partnerships with production companies, or merge with others.

We are already seeing services provided free as bundles with other items.  Before streaming when premium cable like HBO and Showtime were the alternative to cable, they were often offered for free with packages.  

Eventually, you'll have a handful of streaming services.  Plus currently you don't need contracts for any of them, and no equipment, no one to come to your home to set something up.  So it's easy to cancel at any time.  I had HBO Now twice previously.  First time I caught up on Game of Thrones and then all the old HBO Shows I never saw.  Then cancelled.  Then signed up again for the final GoT season, binged 2 more shows and cancelled again.

You don't have that flexibility with cable, cancellation fees, equipment fees, contracts, etc.

• Like 1