Washington Commanders can't do anything right

toolg

One, I am happy for Rivera to be out of that mess of a franchise. He deserves better. 

The Commanders need to burn it all down to start over fresh from the ground up. This is about as bad as it gets and I think they're being honest about their next steps. They might have a coach in place before a new GM... The next front office isn't in place, it won't be soon, and Harris is reaching out for temporary help to fill in the gaps. Not a quick fix. Sounds like they may embark on a multi-year rebuild.

1 hour ago, toolg said:

One, I am happy for Rivera to be out of that mess of a franchise. He deserves better. 

The Commanders need to burn it all down to start over fresh from the ground up. This is about as bad as it gets and I think they're being honest about their next steps. They might have a coach in place before a new GM... The next front office isn't in place, it won't be soon, and Harris is reaching out for temporary help to fill in the gaps. Not a quick fix. Sounds like they may embark on a multi-year rebuild.

Haven’t they been on a multi year rebuild for decades? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Commies hired ex-GM of the Golden State Warriors (Bob Myers) to lead the search for a new GM. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10104072-ex-warriors-gm-bob-myers-hired-by-commanders-harris-for-hc-search-as-rivera-fired

They're getting laughed at pretty hard, but it's not a terrible strategy.  Bob Myers won't be the next GM, but he can help to advise Josh Harris.  I've actually been pretty impressed with the Harris ownership group during this transition.  Keeping Rivera until after the season was the right thing to do.   They are reaching out to interview most of the candidates, have the search committee organized.

I wonder if after this Harris (who also owns the 76ers and Devils) would look to have Myers in a role with the Sixers.    

• Like 1

I feel bad for Ron Rivera. He was never going to succeed with that franchise, they were a complete shambles and never addressed the most important position in football with stop gap crap at QB. Add in the Snyder disfunction, it was just a horrible place for any coach. He is probably at the point in his career that he will retire now

9 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

I wonder if after this Harris (who also owns the 76ers and Devils) would look to have Myers in a role with the Sixers.    

Unless he plans or replacing Morey the answer is no. Harris will just pick the biggest name he can find on the market even if they are a the right fit. I don't think this committee is going to do much because they need to hire the right GM first and let them do their job. Like last time he hired Doc as coach first and then hired Morey as the president of basketball.  Now they have Nurse as the coach and are in a much better spot. 

I still don't see much changing with this team, I don't think Harris is a very good owner from his time with the 76'ers. They decided to start the process and bailed as soon as there was a little bit of pressure before hiring the Colangelo's. He left old big collar in charge and that was a disaster. He then let Elton Brand run the show which wasn't much better. Meanwhile he didn't want to pay out Doc Rivers contract to the detriment of the team and they kept dumping salary to stay under the luxury tax threshold. There was also a period where they were constantly dumping second round picks for cash considerations. 

I don't know how I can forget the 76'ers wanting to cut staff salaries during the pandemic, Embiid had to step in and say he will pay them instead before Harris backflipped on the situation. 

1 hour ago, Mat said:

I feel bad for Ron Rivera. He was never going to succeed with that franchise, they were a complete shambles and never addressed the most important position in football with stop gap crap at QB. Add in the Snyder disfunction, it was just a horrible place for any coach. He is probably at the point in his career that he will retire now

Unless he plans or replacing Morey the answer is no. Harris will just pick the biggest name he can find on the market even if they are a the right fit. I don't think this committee is going to do much because they need to hire the right GM first and let them do their job. Like last time he hired Doc as coach first and then hired Morey as the president of basketball.  Now they have Nurse as the coach and are in a much better spot. 

I still don't see much changing with this team, I don't think Harris is a very good owner from his time with the 76'ers. They decided to start the process and bailed as soon as there was a little bit of pressure before hiring the Colangelo's. He left old big collar in charge and that was a disaster. He then let Elton Brand run the show which wasn't much better. Meanwhile he didn't want to pay out Doc Rivers contract to the detriment of the team and they kept dumping salary to stay under the luxury tax threshold. There was also a period where they were constantly dumping second round picks for cash considerations. 

I don't know how I can forget the 76'ers wanting to cut staff salaries during the pandemic, Embiid had to step in and say he will pay them instead before Harris backflipped on the situation. 

The process actually started well before Harris became Sixers owner.  That process was forced on the Sixers after the disastrous trade for Andrew Bynum in 2012 that set the team back several years (on paper, it looked like a great trade as Bynum was only 25 but he suffered a serious injury and was out of the NBA a couple of years later).  The Sixers did what they did to get out from under that trade. 

2 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

The process actually started well before Harris became Sixers owner.  That process was forced on the Sixers after the disastrous trade for Andrew Bynum in 2012 that set the team back several years (on paper, it looked like a great trade as Bynum was only 25 but he suffered a serious injury and was out of the NBA a couple of years later).  The Sixers did what they did to get out from under that trade. 

Harris was the owner when the Bynum trade happened. He also hired Hinkie....

Given how terrible the Washington football franchise has been, I think they'd be overjoyed with the level of success that the 6ers have right now.  Time will tell, but it's gonna be hard to be worse than Dan Snyder.

Well they just poached the 49ers To fill their GM position so not a Bad start

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

They just traded Sam Howell to the Seahawks... Good move for Seattle I thought Howell was decent