Jump to content
toolg

Washington Commanders can't do anything right

Recommended Posts

Here we go again... Washington to announce new team name, jerseys on 2/2/22

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not the Wolves or RedWolves either: https://www.washingtonfootball.com/news/presidents-brief-why-wolves-wont-work

Quote

First, and I'll cut to the chase here, we can confirm that, after careful consideration, our team name will not be Wolves or RedWolves.
Once we began looking into Wolves, however, we became aware of a notable challenge: trademarks held by other teams would limit our ability to make the name our own. And without Wolves, variations like RedWolves wouldn't have been viable either for these and other reasons.

2.2.22, Ground"hogs" day.... I think it will be some variation of Washington "Hogs". We will see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new unis are a variation of the WFT ones.  Only #'s no logos, ultra clean college look.  So I'm gonna go ahead and say I think it's going to be the Washington Brigade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Live in football team territory. Most believe it's going to be Commanders. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Danny Boy should thumb his nose at everyone and re-name them:

 

Spoiler

redskinspotato.jpg

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Uscg-green said:

Live in football team territory. Most believe it's going to be Commanders. 

Commanders and Admirals are the names trending. Uniforms are similar colors, there are stripes around the shoulder and stars:

I still think it'll be some version of Hogs... RedHogs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, toolg said:

Commanders and Admirals are the names trending. Uniforms are similar colors, there are stripes around the shoulder and stars:

I still think it'll be some version of Hogs... RedHogs?

I still can't believe they didn't even consider Pigskins.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dawkins4prez said:

I still can't believe they didn't even consider Pigskins.

Afraid to insult vegetarians?

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While they’re at it, they should condemn the stadium and fire Snyder. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dan Snyder about to chase away the last die hard fans he has left. My level of skin hate used to be up there with the cowboys. But not anymore. They aren't worth the hate. It's more amused pity now. Sunday felt like I was at the Linc. Except the crappy stadium. 75 percent opposing team fans on your last home game of the year. Sad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, toolg said:

... and fire Snyder.

Dear God, no! We want him there for another 50 years!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, toolg said:

Commanders and Admirals are the names trending. Uniforms are similar colors, there are stripes around the shoulder and stars:

I still think it'll be some version of Hogs... RedHogs?

Looking at the stars, and basing it only on my Army background, my first thought is Generals. But they'd have to get the rights to that name from the USFL Washington Generals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Looking at the stars, and basing it only on my Army background, my first thought is Generals. But they'd have to get the rights to that name from the USFL Washington Generals. 

It would be very Snyder-esque to just use the name without acquiring the rights and then get sued. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Looking at the stars, and basing it only on my Army background, my first thought is Generals. But they'd have to get the rights to that name from the USFL Washington Generals. 

Does USFL naming rights still exist?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, toolg said:

Does USFL naming rights still exist?

I believe so, but I won't swear to it. After all, doesn't the USFL still exist and aren't they planning a new league?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I believe so, but I won't swear to it. After all, doesn't the USFL still exist and aren't they planning a new league?

I think so. But what is the relation from the new league to the old one from 35 years ago? Legally it's a brand new entity, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Uscg-green said:

Still say they should do this lol. 

images (3).jpeg

A lot of people would like to see that happen.

Actually, they should bring back the name of the first two baseball franchises in Washington (the teams that became the Minnesota Twins after the 1960 and Texas Rangers after the 1971 season), The Senators: 

1895620653_SecondSenatorsLogo.thumb.png.e646bc25ae99d5075fd5e7e3cb21ba92.png

This is the logo I would use, substituting a running back or quarterback dropping back to pass for the pitcher.  I would put The Capitol on the helmets and retain the same colors the current WFT uses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

A lot of people would like to see that happen.

Actually, they should bring back the name of the first two baseball franchises in Washington (the teams that became the Minnesota Twins after the 1960 and Texas Rangers after the 1971 season), The Senators: 

1895620653_SecondSenatorsLogo.thumb.png.e646bc25ae99d5075fd5e7e3cb21ba92.png

This is the logo I would use, substituting a running back or quarterback dropping back to pass for the pitcher.  I would put The Capitol on the helmets and retain the same colors the current WFT uses. 

The Senators?  Then everybody would hate them.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, toolg said:

I think so. But what is the relation from the new league to the old one from 35 years ago? Legally it's a brand new entity, no?

Just a quick search on trademarks says that trademarks can last forever, but have to be renewed every 10 years. So if they've been kept renewed, someone would still hold the rights. Were they kept up? That, I don't know. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's kinda been in style last few years for a new team to try to match with the already established teams from the the other major sports.  Nationals/Admirals has a ring to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's going to be announced on February 2nd. Why February 2nd, of all dates? Because it's Ground Hogs Day.

What better day to announce the new name, when that new name is:

The Washington Red Hogs.

Book it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

It's going to be announced on February 2nd. Why February 2nd, of all dates? Because it's Ground Hogs Day.

What better day to announce the new name, when that new name is:

The Washington Red Hogs.

Book it.

Living in the DC areas, I came to the same conclusion.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nix on the Senators. Given the corruption everpresent in Washington, that would NOT be a good brand.

Personally I hope it's Admirals... "The Wathington Admiralth! A jovial band of gloriouth theamen!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...