How do you feel about Hurts as the QB next year

How do you feel about Hurts as the QB next year  

145 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Hurts as the QB next year

• No, seen all I need to see
    • Yes, he is still young and can get better

He's not the answer but may be back next year if they don't get a QB upgrade this offseason. 

Maybe draft other positions & get QB in 2023.

He's not the answer. I think he showed enough before today to get a shot next year but he undid that in one game. But the problem is the options this year is not good. 

• Like 1

His arm isn't going to get stronger, he showed some improvement this year from the pocket but it wasn't enough to make me think he's going to be much better than he is, which is a RB that can occasionally throw the ball.

Sure he can get better at reading defenses and what not but his arm talent is what it is and it's not good enough.

I expect he'll be back next year and may show minimal improvements in his accuracy and pocket awareness but not enough to commit to him long term 

I agree aren't any options in the draft this year that are much better 

He's the dangerous type. Looks good against inferior teams. Can't beat good ones. Fools gold

• Like 6

Howie accumulated these picks in the first place to go big game QB hunting.

Time to stick with plan A.

He's a good back up, but not good enough to win a Superbowl.

Still, I don't think any of the college prospects are Superbowl level either and I'd hate to see them trade for an Rodgers, Watson, Wilson. So I'm hoping they use the picks to improve the talent on the DL/OL/LB/WR/CB/S - Pretty much everywhere else and roll with Hurts for one more year. Then draft or get someone in FA the following year. 

• Like 2

If they love a QB this year, they should upgrade.

But I am OK if they defer for another year and bring him being to see if he can take what needs to be a pretty significant leap. He did have some good games towards the end of the year where he did show some development with his passing game (two WAS games, 1st half vs DEN etc) but ultimately he clearly limits what we can do offensively as has a long long way to go still as a passer as other games including today have shown. However, if they are going down this road, I think its critical that they know they should only use 2 of the 3 first round picks this year and look to roll one of them for as many high picks next year as they can.

I love his intangibles and work ethic but I ultimately don't think he has the high end arm talent to really be high level QB but given he is young, I am still a little unsure on that. I said at the start of the year that my biggest fear was we get to the end of the season still unsure about him and if he turns out to be good enough to keep us from a high pick but not good enough to consistently contend in the playoffs. This is unfortunately where we find ourselves at the moment but was a fun ride at least.

7 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

At least the "it's basically his rookie year" crap is over

Nerd Ackchyually GIF - Nerd Ackchyually Actually - Discover & Share GIFs

He missed 2 games this season.  So he still has 2 more games next season of his "rookie season".

• Haha 2

Just now, ToDie4Eagles said:

Nerd Ackchyually GIF - Nerd Ackchyually Actually - Discover & Share GIFs

He missed 2 games this season.  So he still has 2 more games next season of his "rookie season".

He played more than 2 games last year....

• Haha 1

Just now, kiwieagle said:

He played more than 2 games last year....

Stop going against the narrative! Wentz lover bean bagger!

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Utebird said:

His arm isn't going to get stronger, he showed some improvement this year from the pocket but it wasn't enough to make me think he's going to be much better than he is, which is a RB that can occasionally throw the ball.

Sure he can get better at reading defenses and what not but his arm talent is what it is and it's not good enough.

I expect he'll be back next year and may show minimal improvements in his accuracy and pocket awareness but not enough to commit to him long term 

I agree aren't any options in the draft this year that are much better 

I was never concerned with his arm strength, it's his accuracy and cognition that worried me.  

It's the same thing I saw from him during his 'Bama days, put him in a big game and his brain freezes which dictates his accuracy.

The Eagles would be wise to move on.

• Like 5

Just now, EagleVA said:

I was never concerned with his arm strength, it's his accuracy and cognition that worried me.  

It's the same thing I saw from him during his 'Bama days, put him in a big game and his brain freezes which dictates his accuracy.

The Eagles would be wise to move on.

I've said this before....the issues that plagued him in college (doesn't read the defence, consistent accuracy and ball placement) are the same issues that continue to plague him now. That's my biggest concern with him.

He'll put a game or two here and there where he shows improvement in some of those areas then come right back and have a game where those same issues get highlighted again.   

He doesn’t make good decisions , a bit like wentz. Doesn’t seem to like the pressure which is why he plays better when the games already been lost a la garbage time. 

I think maybe we should keep him as a backup for now but ultimately he just isn’t good enough 

• Like 1

Same as I did before this game.... Do not want. He is the offense equivalent to Gannon. 

Context being left out of this is laughable. In the real world context matters. What are the REALISTIC options to upgrade him with. Do they need to give up multiple assets and/or spend big cap on said upgrade which limits their ability to fill the other MULTIPLE holes this team has.

I don't know if Hurts is the answer, but I don't know he isn't either and acting like a QB in his second year as a starter doesn't have the potential to get better is silly. Not to mention, this team is far from being a QB away from being a legit contender.

Lots of short sighted thinking going on while trying to push an agenda and not understanding nuance or simple critical thinking whatsoever.

• Like 2

Not the best timing to post this when everyone is pissed at the L (which no doubt he had a huge hand in). 

• Like 2

LOL.  Another lost season of exciting escapes, wide passes, and only beating bad teams,, if he starts. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

Context being left out of this is laughable. In the real world context matters. What are the REALISTIC options to upgrade him with. Do they need to give up multiple assets and/or spend big cap on said upgrade which limits their ability to fill the other MULTIPLE holes this team has.

Yeah I mean that's my argument too. Look I don't think Hurts is the answer but I'm not sure what the answer is. Multiple picks to get Wilson, Watson or Rodgers isn't. Multiple picks to trade up in the draft for a QB probably isn't the answer either. So I'm not sure what they should do. 

22 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Wonder what's Smiths opinion is?

He is going to want anyone that throws him the ball the most. And that would be the right call. Kid is a baller. I just don't want to feel like the eagles are wasting his talent. 

25 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Wonder what's Smiths opinion is?

After today it probably isn't fit for public consumption. I remember one brief camera shot of Smith on the bench after a 3 and out where he seemed to be thinking "WTF is WRONG with You?!?

• Like 1

We were a 4-11-1 team last year. If Sirianni won 4, 5, or even 6 games this year, it would have been a disappointment as we had the talent to better than 4 wins. The fact that he won 9 games, had a winning record, and made the playoffs while relying on Hurts and Gannon is relatively impressive.

As for Jalen, he's not washed up by any means. He could still evolve and become a quality passer, he's many years away from his prime. However, we're a team right now who's built to succeed if we have any downfield passing consistency. The Giants first game, the Chargers game, the 9ers game, even the Raider game. If we could threaten defenses at all through the air, we should not  have done so unbelievably poorly in those games. 

So I like Jalen, I think he'll have a fine career in the NFL, but he should not be our starter next year. And neither should the next rookie. We have 3 1sts, Rodgers is potentially available, Watson is potentially available, Wilson is potentially available... I would even take Cousins or Carr for a 2nd rounder over bringing back Hurts. Hell, if Jimmy G was our QB, we're still nothing special, but we probably win 11-13 games.

• Like 2