How do you feel about Hurts as the QB next year

How do you feel about Hurts as the QB next year  

145 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Hurts as the QB next year

• No, seen all I need to see
    • Yes, he is still young and can get better

11 minutes ago, The Blackfish said:

Hurts QBR was 20 this game, Passer rating of 60 because of garbage time.    He was closer to Wentz last week than he was to any other QB. 

Sorry. I meant pass rating. 

Haven’t read all 4 pages

i think this depends on who else we can get and our options for other role players depending on which quarterback we do go with.  I heard we might get Rogers or Wilson?

If we do stick with Hurts, I think he is the affordable option that allows us to do whatever we can dream up at other positions.  It’s a shame though that the game depends to such a degree on the quarterback.  It would be nice if there was already a proven way to win consistently with solid but not spectacular qb play.  Maybe there is?  You’d have to ask the coaches I guess

17 minutes ago, EagleMatt said:

So from the looks of it, two vet highly paid qbs in dak and jimmy have below 70 qbr. Looks like hurts is in good company.

Dak lost, with quite a few stars on offense and defense.  Got 17 points.  The Eagles got 15.   Dak makes $40 M a year,  Hurts makes about $1 M a year. 

The Bucs won the Super Bowl last year, and have the best QB ever,  they were predicted to win by about 9.   The Cowboys were favored, and the 9ers snuck into the playoffs like the Eagles did. 

The Eagles lost,  the Raiders lost,  the Cowboys lost, and the Patriots lost.  I guess all of those teams,  who all made the playoffs, should all be looking for new QBs?  The Raiders QB went to the playoffs for the first time ever.  8 years and 1 playoff appearance. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As a side note I was wondering if anyone’s read the bargaining rules because what if we could "share” Minshew with another team and claim first dibs on him in case our starter got hurt but the other team gets him if we don’t need him that week

8 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

I'd add Mariota to the QB room.    Fast and cheap.  Won a playoff game.  Had a winning record with the Titans more often than a losing record.

It's pretty obvious that the Eagles really don't have the kind of great running back like Taylor, Chubb, Fournette,  Henry, Barkley, Dillon, the kind of big, excellent power back that works so well with the running QB.   Add that guy. 

Mariota would be the starter if he signs with the Eagles, then we'd know if it was Hurts or Sirianni.

The Eagles don't have a power back because they don't know what wins championships. 

• Like 2

How do I feel?  I went to a draft simulator and took 3 QB's in the first round.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Greenakers2 said:

3 headed monster have all 3 on the field at the same time. 

• Haha 1

I can't believe I'm saying this....but if all checks out with him, I'm taking a real long at getting Watson out of Houston. 

This was the exact type of game you needed to see Hurts step up and rise to the occasion.  Fell behind early and Tampa takes away the running game?  Ok, fine, go out there and do it with your arm.  At the very least, put up a fight. 

But instead he absolutely Fing crumbled.  I didn't think it was possible for him to look worse than he did at the start of the season.  He is what he is - a good QB when he can do one very specific thing.  Take that one thing away from him and he's got nothing.

Meanwhile Watson is the best combo of age/talent that we could get.  The QB prospects in the draft aren't great, Wilson and Rodgers are going to be just as expensive but with a lot more wear and tear, and everyone else isn't really that much better.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, hukdonfoniks said:

I can't believe I'm saying this....but if all checks out with him, I'm taking a real long at getting Watson out of Houston. 

This was the exact type of game you needed to see Hurts step up and rise to the occasion.  Fell behind early and Tampa takes away the running game?  Ok, fine, go out there and do it with your arm.  At the very least, put up a fight. 

But instead he absolutely Fing crumbled.  I didn't think it was possible for him to look worse than he did at the start of the season.  He is what he is - a good QB when he can do one very specific thing.  Take that one thing away from him and he's got nothing.

Meanwhile Watson is the best combo of age/talent that we could get.  The QB prospects in the draft aren't great, Wilson and Rodgers are going to be just as expensive but with a lot more wear and tear, and everyone else isn't really that much better.

A working man's tim tebow

17 minutes ago, Greenakers2 said:

QB FactoryzzZZZzz!

• Like 1

I’d be fine with giving Minshew a shot. But if we can get Watson we need to get him. There’s really no debate. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

Mariota would be the starter if he signs with the Eagles, then we'd know if it was Hurts or Sirianni.

The Eagles don't have a power back because they don't know what wins championships. 

Howard is plenty enough power. He had 0 carries today 😥

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Seventy_Yard_FG said:

Haven’t read all 4 pages

i think this depends on who else we can get and our options for other role players depending on which quarterback we do go with.  I heard we might get Rogers or Wilson?

If we do stick with Hurts, I think he is the affordable option that allows us to do whatever we can dream up at other positions.  It’s a shame though that the game depends to such a degree on the quarterback.  It would be nice if there was already a proven way to win consistently with solid but not spectacular qb play.  Maybe there is?  You’d have to ask the coaches I guess

A running QB who runs great and passes solidly but not spectacularly.  The Eagles have that, with Jalen Hurts.

Make sure you have 1) -  a great defense   and 2) great running backs,  with at least one great power back.  

The Eagles won 4 games last year.  With a QB who was making $30 M a year.  They ditched the overpaid guy, and they had his $30 M bonus hit the cap.   Still,  with the key power back as Howard, and a defense which could definitely use a handful of stars,  they lost to the best QB of all time on the team that won the Super Bowl last year.  

Not bad at all.

I'd trade for Tom Brady.  Tom Brady won the Super Bowl 4 out of the last 7 years.  And the Eagles lost to him.  If the Eagles had him,  they would not have lost to him.  Tom Brady is great.  I prefer running QBs,  because teams can spend almost nothing on running QBs and they can take your team to the playoffs.

The 2 top running backs for the Eagles this year,  Sanders and Howard,  combined for 7 carries and 16 yards.   That's quite poor for a team that is a run first team. 

The offense was ineffective.   That's part Hurts,  part everyone else on the offense. 

The Eagles went down 17-0 in the first half.  The 0 is bad, but so is the 17.  The first half had punts by the Eagles,  and long drives leading to 2 TDs and 1 FG by the Bucs.  This shouldn't be a major surprise.  Super Bowl winning Bucs with Brady the best QB ever.

Bad offense + Bad defense against great team.  Don't trash 9-8 team,  add more talent to a various assortment of positions.  

When run first teams with running QBs get to the playoffs,  they really need to be able to unveil new run wrinkles that will surprise the defense.  The Ravens didn't do that in 18,19,20,  and their playoff record was 1-3.  The Ravens also didn't run enough, and it looks like the Eagles didn't run enough, either.   It seems like a trend for the run first teams with the running QBs to stop running in the playoffs and then lose.   the Ravens won one playoff game,  that was the one where Lamar ran for a 50 yard TD.

The Eagles have a great OL,  they should be able to open holes in the line for the power back to run through.   That is normal stuff that should work.  If it isn't,   you have extra OLs,  who you put on the field to get that power back up the middle thing to work.  The Eagles didn't have Howard run the ball once.   They have Sanders try to run around the line.  That didn't work.  Sanders + End = generally bad results.  Except the first play on offense - Sanders right end 7.

Sanders runs

(10:00 - 1st) M.Sanders right end to PHI 32 for 7 yards (M.Edwards).  ***  good

(6:06 - 1st) (Shotgun) M.Sanders right end to PHI 28 for -5 yards (J.Whitehead).

(0:20 - 1st) M.Sanders left tackle  to PHI 29 for 2 yards (N.Suh; V.Vea).
(5:26 - 2nd) (Shotgun) M.Sanders right end to TB 38 for -1 yards (D.White).

(15:00 - 3rd) (Shotgun) M.Sanders right tackle to PHI 27 for 2 yards (N.Suh).

(7:38 - 3rd) (Shotgun) M.Sanders left end to PHI 39 for 14 yards (M.Edwards). *** good
(1:03 - 3rd) M.Sanders left end to PHI 17 for -3 yards (M.Edwards).

4 runs = 25 yards
3 runs = -9 yards

not good. 

It's mostly just that the Bucs, with the best QB and who won the Super Bowl last year,  were the better team.  This is something that everyone knew 12 hours ago.

16 minutes ago, hukdonfoniks said:

Unless he’s cleared of all charges there’s no way in hell do I want that guy, incoming suspension, and the media attention.   He’s a good QB that can help most teams in the NFL but he’s a pig that will destroy the next team he plays for, and the owner that brings him to their city will be vilified if the charges stick. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

Mariota is better than Carr, yet Carr remains the starter.

I can't tell if Mariota or Hurts is better.  I wouldn't be able to guess who would be better.  But both do have the good speed for a running QB.  I'd rather have Mariota on the roster than Minshew or Sinnett.  And 3.5 Million is cheap for a QB.

Mariota doesn't seem to have the durability of Hurts.  Mariota is built like a WR and Hurts like a RB.  Hurts running between the tackles isn't a matter of concern.  Mariotas time with the Titans did have a lot of not quite healed injuries that he tended to play with.   I do like Mariota and would want him on any of the running QB teams,  at that 3.5 Million a year price point. 

Just looking at the play by play.  Did not see any "OL reports as eligible"  They needed to do that, probably a lot, and they did it none, and they lost. 

No fullback to block.  No 6th OL to block.  The Eagles don't have a great blocking TE.  Great OL, great run blocking OL.   The extra blockers are substandard or just don't exist.  They didn't use the power back Howard at all to run,  he probably is still hurt.

When the Eagles have so many good OLs, and they do,  and the OLs are pretty much the only ones who can block really well,  you put them on the field.   Power run must work, and how many times did the Eagles even try to run between the tackles?  

I said what the Eagles should do before the game,  they didn't do that, they did the opposite, and they sucked.   The Bucs are a better team,  but blasting them with superior size and blocking ability was the way to a possible win. 

17 minutes ago, The Blackfish said:

Unless he’s cleared of all charges there’s no way in hell do I want that guy, incoming suspension, and the media attention.   He’s a good QB that can help most teams in the NFL but he’s a pig that will destroy the next team he plays for, and the owner that brings him to their city will be vilified if the charges stick. 

Agree with that.

Would add - he costs $30+ M a year.

And I wouldn't say that his 4-12 record in 2020 is all that good.  Tyrod Taylor went 2-4 with the Texans, and he only cost $5 M this year.  Beat the Titans, ran for 2 TDs. Other Texan QBs went 2-9. 

Spending a lot of money on a QB with good stats but a lot of losses doesn't seem like a good plan. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

Howard is plenty enough power. He had 0 carries today 😥

Well,  whether Howard is or isn't enough power,  he's the only Eagles RB who has any power at all, and yes, they didn't run him at all.   They should have run him and seen how that went. 

30 minutes ago, The Blackfish said:

We were able to make it through Michael Vick - I think we'll be just fine.  As long as he's cleared of everything, of course.

56 minutes ago, Wentz 2 Ertz said:

I’d be fine with giving Minshew a shot. But if we can get Watson we need to get him. There’s really no debate. 

Watson went 4-12 last year.   You think that's good?

Watson makes $30+ Million a year.  Do you really need to pay $30+ M to a QB to get you 4 wins in a year?

Hurts had a winning record for the Eagles this year.   Stay the course.  Add more talent to the defense.   Add superior blocking at the skill positions and add a big, great, powerful RB.   Even really good ones are pretty cheap sometimes.   Fournette is supposed to be a free agent. 

The Eagles simply do not have the talent that the Bucs do, and lost because of that.  The Eagles did not find a solution to the talent deficit.  Usually teams don't.

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

Watson went 4-12 last year.   You think that's good?

Watson makes $30+ Million a year.  Do you really need to pay $30+ M to a QB to get you 4 wins in a year?

Yeah and Rodgers only won 6 games in 2018 and costs $40m....How dumb of the Packers to not get rid of him then - paying a QB that much to only get 6 wins :roll:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, kiwieagle said:

Yeah and Rodgers only won 6 games in 2018 and costs $40m....How dumb of the Packers to not get rid of him then - paying a QB that much to only get 6 wins :roll:

They definitely should of gotten rid of him for a running QB, when will this league become more innovative and run the ball every down!! Throwing QBs are so yesterday! Especially since every running QB are now onto the next round...... 😏

Imagine paying 40 mil for a QB to throw the ball..... Pfft!