How do you feel about Hurts as the QB next year

How do you feel about Hurts as the QB next year  

145 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Hurts as the QB next year

• No, seen all I need to see
    • Yes, he is still young and can get better

I'd like to see a new QB. Even Minshew to bridge the gap wouldn't be bad. But I'd rather try to sell high on Hurts, even though that playoff game hurt his stock. It is only going to get worse going forward with Hurts.

Use those picks and try and trade for a legitimate starter.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

Context being left out of this is laughable. In the real world context matters. What are the REALISTIC options to upgrade him with. Do they need to give up multiple assets and/or spend big cap on said upgrade which limits their ability to fill the other MULTIPLE holes this team has.

Next season should be an open QB competition between Hurts and Minshew.  I don't want to trade away picks, especially when we have so many holes on the D side of the ball and we're not just a QB away from being a SB contender, for aging QBs in Wilson/Rodgers (both of whom will be too old to help us by the time we build a more complete roster) or a QB in Watson with so many legal/civil issues plus a diva complex that he's displayed in HOU.  Maybe Pickett falls to us in the mid teens or we trade back with our pick in the 1st Round and draft Carson Strong late in the 1st while picking up an additional 2023 1st Rounder? 

I don't know if Hurts is the answer, but I don't know he isn't either and acting like a QB in his second year as a starter doesn't have the potential to get better is silly. Not to mention, this team is far from being a QB away from being a legit contender.

Hurts main problem, IMO, is his inability to see enough of the field and process what he's seeing quick enough to be consistently effective at the NFL level.  These are things that are more natural and innate than can be learned.  It's either you have it or you don't type of situation and he doesn't have it.  He could improve on those things, but only to a limited extent which wouldn't be good enough for him to be a consistent NFL starting QB who can win playoff games.  He won't get much better than what we see now.  Plus his mechanics are poor and since he doesn't have a great arm his mechanics need to be superb.  Now that can be worked on and improved upon enough.  But it's disturbing watching him not set his feet (especially after he moves away from a mostly clean pocket, which his lack of pocket presence is a whole other matter) and do that baseball OF crow hop to throw the ball with any velocity behind it. 

Lots of short sighted thinking going on while trying to push an agenda and not understanding nuance or simple critical thinking whatsoever.

Pot meet kettle.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah I mean that's my argument too. Look I don't think Hurts is the answer but I'm not sure what the answer is. Multiple picks to get Wilson, Watson or Rodgers isn't. Multiple picks to trade up in the draft for a QB probably isn't the answer either. So I'm not sure what they should do. 

Agreed. Making this situation out to be so simple as if you can just go to the ''QB tree'' and get someone better isn't reality.

If Watson wasn't a degenerate, trading multiple picks for a young QB with the winning mindset and clutch factor would be the answer.

I think even bringing in Rodgers may be a good idea. Those GB teams aren't loaded with talent. Having Rodgers makes such a huge difference though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, T-1000 said:

That was months ago. Hurts made progress and got better since then. Something a young QB can do believe it or not. Nice try though.

No he did not. 

7 games before and 7 games after Detroit, his completion percentage rose .2 %.  

Before Detroit, 10 TD's 4 Int's, after Detroit, 6 TD's 4 Int's

Just now, downundermike said:

No he did not. 

7 games before and 7 games after Detroit, his completion percentage rose .2 %.  

Before Detroit, 10 TD's 4 Int's, after Detroit, 6 TD's 4 Int's

Carson-Wentz2.jpg

Just now, T-1000 said:

Carson-Wentz2.jpg

That's all you got now that your savior Hurst has been exposed as a fraud, bringing up a guy the rest of us have moved on from.

Obsession by Calvin Klein - Buy online | Perfume.com

3 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

That was months ago. Hurts made progress and got better since then. Something a young QB can do believe it or not. Nice try though.

The question is what is his ceiling?  I don't think it's much higher than what we're seeing now.  He's made some progress from last year (which any QB should given a full TC working with the 1s) and from the first handful of games this season where he was mostly mediocre to poor except for the Falcons game.  He still ished the bed in the first NYG game and was awful for the first 3 QTRs today.  Tampa dared him to beat them with his arm today and he failed.  He left plays on the field which were pointed out repeatedly by Aikman during the game and during the HT show by Bradshaw.  We are both entitled to our opinions and can agree to disagree.  He played better as the season went on when he had a dominant run game to back him up and when the D was beating up on PS/journeymen/rookie QBs.  There's that context you referred to.  I think our ideas of progress are probably different.

• Like 1

Just now, Green_Guinness said:

The question is what is his ceiling?  I don't think it's much higher than what we're seeing now.  He's made some progress from last year (which any QB should given a full TC working with the 1s) and from the first handful of games this season where he was mostly mediocre to poor except for the Falcons game.  He still ished the bed in the first NYG game and was awful for the first 3 QTRs today.  Tampa dared him to beat them with his arm today and he failed.  He left plays on the field which were pointed out repeatedly by Aikman during the game and during the HT show by Bradshaw.  We are both entitled to our opinions and can agree to disagree.  He played better as the season went on when he had a dominant run game to back him up and when the D was beating up on PS/journeymen/rookie QBs.  There's that context you referred to.  I think our ideas of progress are probably different.

He was awful all 4 quarters today. He only moved the offense when Tampa took the foot of the gas and played soft defense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

That's all you got now that your savior Hurst has been exposed as a fraud, bringing up a guy the rest of us have moved on from.

It's their default for when you hit them with facts and show them other opinions that negate/neutralize theirs.  They bring up Wentz though nobody else has and it's not relevant to the conversation.  It's the equivalent of "I'm taking my ball and going home because you're not playing the way I want to play".

• Like 2

Other than the fact that you are lying and making things up as per usual since I have never proclaimed Hurts was the savior, unequivocal answer, etc, sure clown. Don't you have a Wentz poster somewhere you need to go stare lovingly into clown.

Just now, Devaster said:

He was awful all 4 quarters today. He only moved the offense when Tampa took the foot of the gas and played soft defense.

Exactly the same as the first time we played them, but people told me we were in that game.

1 minute ago, Devaster said:

Agree.  I was being kind and generous.

Other than the fact that you are lying and making things up as per usual since I have never proclaimed Hurts was the savior, unequivocal answer, etc, sure clown. Don't you have a Wentz poster somewhere you need to go stare lovingly into clown.

Yep, keep bringing up a guy we have all moved on from.  It is the only defense mechanism you have.

Exactly the same as the first time we played them, but people told me we were in that game.

1 minute ago, Green_Guinness said:

Agree.  I was being kind and generous.

That has been the MO for Hurts this entire season outside of beating up some bad teams. Moves the offense late in games after teams go into the mode of burning clock and playing soft defense to do so.

Just now, downundermike said:

Yep, keep bringing up a guy we have all moved on from.  It is the only defense mechanism you have.

And yet again, you are lying. You were still defending your ginger jesus up until the end of the season when he orchestrated one of the biggest choke jobs in NFL history. Then all of a sudden radio silence from you in the Wentz thread. 

I just wish we saw more of Minshew this year. 

What sucks is that we are still in exactly the same situation as last year. 

Stuck with 2 qbs we can't make up our minds on.

Just now, T-1000 said:

And yet again, you are lying. You were still defending your ginger jesus up until the end of the season when he orchestrated one of the biggest choke jobs in NFL history. Then all of a sudden radio silence from you in the Wentz thread. 

Wentz thread is locked, Eagles were in the playoffs.  Why would I care about him, and why can't you stop bringing him up.  He became irrelevant the moment the draft pick was locked in.

With this team and front office, who the f---- is the answer?  And nobody even knows how to qualify that.  

The eagles got their arse kicked.  Which HIGHLIGHTED the need for more talent on the roster.  They have cap space, a load of good draft picks, trade bait......and it all could go to hell if roseman trades for some aging vet or take another project in the draft.

John Defilippo is probably going to let go by the bears.......and the eagles should sign him as fast as they can to work with Hurts.

As I've aid, Hurts should never have started this year.....he was way too raw......but they did and he made the progress that was expected of a 2nd round QB taken too early who wasn't ready to start.  It's idiotic to decide on this one game that he's "not the answer"......

The fact of the matter is that he his passing skills, in all aspects, can get better.  But it'll hinge on 3 things:

1) The eagles being willing to give him time.

2) Getting him better coaching

3) Whether Hurts wants to put in that amount of time.

Then, after those 3 things have been implemented and put into practice, will anybody know if he is the "answer".  

If not, the eagles will continue to spin their wheels at QB.

No one is talking about Wentz here bud. Just let us know what he is lying about and keep the discussion about Hurts and current Eagles QB's. Wentz is not relevant to this discussion.

• Like 4

We weren't going to win dick this year, play offs was a bonus for a roster that has been deteriorating for 4 years, put Wilson or Watson under center and all those games that the OP, and every other Wentz apologist said was only close 'because the opponent's took their foot off the gas', well guess what they maybe don't 'take their foot off the gas' and beat our secondary hollow for 4 quarters instead.

Trading 3 firsts for Wilson or Watson moves our record to 10-7 if that while screwing the pooch salary cap wise, meaning we have to try and build new lines with no money and no day 1 picks. Trading for a 37 year old that doesn't want to be in Green Bay and gives every indication doesn't want to be on the East Coast any more is also dumb.

You trade for a big name and you make a couple of one and done play off runs if that while the rest of the team rots away around them.

That's probably what most of this board deserves at this point to be honest.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

We weren't going to win dick this year, play offs was a bonus for a roster that has been deteriorating for 4 years, put Wilson or Watson under center and all those games that the OP, and every other Wentz apologist said was only close 'because the opponent's took their foot off the gas', well guess what they maybe don't 'take their foot off the gas' and beat our secondary hollow for 4 quarters instead.

Trading 3 firsts for Wilson or Watson moves our record to 10-7 if that while screwing the pooch salary cap wise, meaning we have to try and build new lines with no money and no day 1 picks. Trading for a 37 year old that doesn't want to be in Green Bay and gives every indication doesn't want to be on the East Coast any more is also dumb.

You trade for a big name and you make a couple of one and done play off runs if that while the rest of the team rots away around them.

Jalen Hurts sucks and we need a better QB

FYP

1 minute ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

We have seen teams in recent years bring in QB's give teams a chance to make a run in the playoffs. I'm not saying the Eagles can do that, but I wouldn't poo poo that route either. There are also plenty of examples of bringing in big name FA's and a team busting.

I'd rather see a front office and GM not married to their players and picks and willing to admit they were wrong earlier rather than later. Too many teams in the NFL move on from players far later than they should. Signs are there early and often for busts.

Eagles have some soul searching to do. I'm not sure what the right answer is or the right route. But teams can and have brought in aging QB's to make runs or win championships (Bucs/Brady and Indy/Rivers come to mind). Even Kurt Warner with the Cardinals.

I think he can get better.  But he’s got a long way to go to be an elite QB.