How do you feel about Hurts as the QB next year

How do you feel about Hurts as the QB next year  

145 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Hurts as the QB next year

• No, seen all I need to see
    • Yes, he is still young and can get better

10 hours ago, Thing3 said:

You can't read too much into anything said in these PC's when it comes to specific players. The one statement Howie made that I picked up on was how one way for Hurts to improve is by improving the rest of the team. Not that this has any more meaning than anything else said but it is another clue to their general over all line of thinking.

It was a little more that something along the lines improving around to help accelerate his development......makes me think its not so much as a defensive draft as most of us want. They will still take a pass rusher but wouldn't necessarily count on too much more beyond that

1 hour ago, birdman#12 said:

Catch on? LMAO.....apparently you're so clueless that you don't know how clueless you are.

They ran the ball more, you moron.....of course some of his numbers dropped......except his completion pctg, his QBR, and his yards per attempt, which went up.  

Oh and against the saints and broncos, 3 teams that finished top 5 in the aikman defensive ratings, he played very well and had 5 TD total.  t

And reading defenses?  They ALL struggle with reading defenses their first couple years.....that's why many of them throw so many INTS early in their career......Mastering an offense and figuring out how it flows thru the many defenses and adjustments is a very difficult thing to do.  Sh-- I watched brady stuggle like hell against the saints earlier this year.....can you explain that?

You don't know what to look for....stop talking like you do....

Jalen Hurts started at QB in 16 games for the Eagles this season, including the playoff game. I went ahead and broke it down for the first 8 games and the second 8 games. 

First 8 games:

61.33% Completion percentage

1,819 Yards

10 TDs

4 INT

89.3 QB Rating

14 Sacks

7.07 AY/A

73 Rushes

432 Yards

5.92 RY/A

Second 8 games:

61.0% Completion percentage

1,583 yards 

7 TDs

7 INT

84.06 QB Rating

14 Sacks

6.92 AY/A

74 Rushes

391 Yards

5.41 RY/A

Maybe you can explain to me where the "growth" took place. Seems to me that the numbers indicate that he had a lower completion percentage, a lower QB rating, the same amount of sacks (despite passing the ball less), less air yards per attempt, roughly identical rushing attempts, but for fewer yards and a lower rushing yard/attempt. Oh and he threw more interceptions despite throwing less.

I think that in the future, you should have some semblance of what it is you're actually trying to argue before you come off as the pompous moron that you are. We could conceivably have a conversation, but you seem a little behind sadly.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Swoop said:

Nobody thinks that.

The majority of us do realize how limited Hurts is. We see that the things he struggled with four years ago he's still struggling with after his second season (first as the FT starter) in the NFL. We see that he is too limited with arm strength.

People are much more willing to give a guy a chance if he shows growth or has great physical attributes as it pertains to throwing a football. 

He was 35% beyond one yard this past Sunday. One yard. 

Ahhh so you speak for everyone

1 hour ago, Swoop said:

Jalen Hurts started at QB in 16 games for the Eagles this season, including the playoff game. I went ahead and broke it down for the first 8 games and the second 8 games. 

First 8 games:

1,819 Yards

10 TDs

4 INT

89.3 QB Rating

14 Sacks

7.07 AY/A

73 Rushes

432 Yards

5.92 RY/A

Second 8 games:

1,583 yards 

7 TDs

7 INT

84.06 QB Rating

14 Sacks

6.92 AY/A

74 Rushes

391 Yards

5.41 RY/A

Maybe you can explain to me where the "growth" took place. Seems to me that the numbers indicate that he had a lower completion percentage, a lower QB rating, the same amount of sacks (despite passing the ball less), less air yards per attempt, roughly identical rushing attempts, but for fewer yards and a lower rushing yard/attempt. Oh and he threw more interceptions despite throwing less.

I think that in the future, you should have some semblance of what it is you're actually trying to argue before you come off as the pompous moron that you are. We could conceivably have a conversation, but you seem a little behind sadly.

Not impressive numbers. Next season is the REAL test.

2 hours ago, MillerTime said:

Trade Hurts, trade for Foles, bring in Ridley or Robinson, convince Kelce to stay.

Draft mostly defense with a TE and big back. 

Then get in your time machine and travel back to 1992.

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

Then get in your time machine and travel back to 1992.

You want me to bring back Reggie White or just convince him not to leave?

2 hours ago, Swoop said:

First 8 games:

1,819 Yards

10 TDs

4 INT

89.3 QB Rating

14 Sacks

7.07 AY/A

73 Rushes

432 Yards

5.92 RY/A

Second 8 games:

1,583 yards 

7 TDs

7 INT

84.06 QB Rating

14 Sacks

6.92 AY/A

74 Rushes

391 Yards

5.41 RY/A

I don't think anybody optimistic about Hurts feels he's a finished product. I feel like I saw growth as a player. For example ... in the first half of the season, he was in a passing situation on 4th down and threw the ball away on 3 of those occasions. If you are trying to convert a 4th down, you absolutely need to throw a catchable pass --- even if it ends up an INT (since you are already turning the ball over on downs). A couple of his last 8 game INTs were on 4th down. So yeah ... we can sit here and argue that he "regressed" by throwing more INTs in the 2nd 8 starts, but when I look at it, those three 4th down "throw aways" were the same thing, except nobody on our team had a chance to make a play. So I call that improvement in situational awareness. It also brings more context to the 4 INTs (first 8 starts) and the 7 INTs (last 8 starts). 

It was a season full of ups and downs as a team and from the QB position as well. Hurts has shown the ability to bounce back from the "downs." Of course, the season ended on one, so he won't get to demonstrate "growth" from that game until next year. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NOTW said:

I agree with Seth about the D side of the ball, but disagree with him and Ray about the O side and giving Hurts another year.  He just doesn't have it.  You need to develop Smith, Watkins, and even Goerdert and so long as Hurts is being late in his decision making you won't be giving your young receivers a chance.  Hurts has too  many holes in his game.

-Can't survey enough of the field

-Can't process quickly enough at the NFL level to get the ball out on time

-Has poor pocket presence and too often feels "phantom" pressure and bails on mostly clean pockets

-Doesn't keep his eyes downfield when rolling out of pockets and runs more than sets himself up for a throw

-Doesn't set his feet (has poor mechanics) and throws lame duck or hospital balls

His ceiling was a 3rd Round draft pick and to only ever be a backup QB who can spot start for 2-3 games at most.  They overdrafted for him as a knee jerk reaction (which is something Howie is great at doing) to Wentz's injuries just as they did a knee jerk reaction to wanting speed at outside WR so they chose Reagor over Jefferson.

Howie always has to justify his picks and plays them over better options so he doesn't lose his job.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MillerTime said:

You want me to bring back Reggie White or just convince him not to leave?

That might create a rift in the space-time continuum. 

5y8sRBYSWWb16.gif

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Swoop said:

First 8 games:

1,819 Yards

10 TDs

4 INT

89.3 QB Rating

14 Sacks

7.07 AY/A

73 Rushes

432 Yards

5.92 RY/A

Second 8 games:

1,583 yards 

7 TDs

7 INT

84.06 QB Rating

14 Sacks

6.92 AY/A

74 Rushes

391 Yards

5.41 RY/A

I've been pretty outspoken about Hurts performance in the second half in that it seemed to be a lot better to a lot of people than what it was actually was for a number of reasons. I am yet to be convinced and lean towards no on him as the answer, He had many awful games/halves etc. during this supposed period of improvement which raise that doubt.

But having said that, these numbers go far beyond what I was expecting and contrary to what my eyes told me which was that there was improvement but it just was not that big (and came with a lot of limitations on how we had to run the offense). There are two reasons for that I think:

1) He put up some numbers in the first half of the season which were after the game was over. Chiefs and Buccs games in particular stand out (as does the 2nd Buccs game in 2nd half). Of course he also had slow starts in second half but because we played weak opposition, we could overcome that as defence held on so were still in the game e.g. 2nd Giants game 

2) Atlanta game in first half was totally out of sync with how he played the rest of first half and less so but still to a certain extent Buccs in the playoffs made 1st half Hurts show up again. For curiosity only, I wonder what the split looks like on a 7 vs 7 split (excluding Atlanta and TB games). I know you can't selectively ignore games but might help explain some of the perception out there. Would be good to see  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

I don't think anybody optimistic about Hurts feels he's a finished product. I feel like I saw growth as a player. For example ... in the first half of the season, he was in a passing situation on 4th down and threw the ball away on 3 of those occasions. If you are trying to convert a 4th down, you absolutely need to throw a catchable pass --- even if it ends up an INT (since you are already turning the ball over on downs). A couple of his last 8 game INTs were on 4th down. So yeah ... we can sit here and argue that he "regressed" by throwing more INTs in the 2nd 8 starts, but when I look at it, those three 4th down "throw aways" were the same thing, except nobody on our team had a chance to make a play. So I call that improvement in situational awareness. It also brings more context to the 4 INTs (first 8 starts) and the 7 INTs (last 8 starts). 

Yay....he went form something a middle-school QB shouldn't be doing to something a middle-school QB knows how to do! 

• Haha 2

On 1/16/2022 at 11:01 PM, T-1000 said:

Context being left out of this is laughable. In the real world context matters. What are the REALISTIC options to upgrade him with. Do they need to give up multiple assets and/or spend big cap on said upgrade which limits their ability to fill the other MULTIPLE holes this team has.

I don't know if Hurts is the answer, but I don't know he isn't either and acting like a QB in his second year as a starter doesn't have the potential to get better is silly. Not to mention, this team is far from being a QB away from being a legit contender.

Lots of short sighted thinking going on while trying to push an agenda and not understanding nuance or simple critical thinking whatsoever.

Tbf to the the majority of previous posters, you reiterated what they said. Most realise this season is a poor QB draft, which is the saving grace for Hurts.

The issue as others have pointed out is that Hurts is showing the same tendencies and issues he had in college. Which is poorly going through progressions, maintaining composure and stepping up into the pocket under pressure and accuracy issues.

These issues dont arise in easier games, as the pressure is less and receivers make more space, so Hurts looks good in these games. 

6 hours ago, kiwieagle said:

Yay....he went form something a middle-school QB shouldn't be doing to something a middle-school QB knows how to do! 

Now teach Kyler Murray that taking a safety is preferable to a defensive TD and we'll have one more NFL QB at the middle-school level. 

6 minutes ago, NOTW said:

This is gonna be a looooong offseason of debating Hurts.

Alex Smith to Washington was agreed to on January 30th.   Maybe Howie goes balls to the wall and gets his QB trade agreed to ASAP.  Then we can debate how good / bad the move is all off season.

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Alex Smith to Washington was agreed to on January 30th.   Maybe Howie goes balls to the wall and gets his QB trade agreed to ASAP.  Then we can debate how good / bad the move is all off season.

Doesn't matter what will or won't happen, the QB debate never ends for decades.  If they bring in a new QB it will be debating that QB vs Hurts vs Minshew, you'll have Wentz and Foles mentioned here and there.  It never stops.  The only time in recent memory we didn't have a QB controversy was when Wentz was playing lights out in 2017 before he got hurt.  Most fans finally thought we had the long-term answer.  Remember, at one time there were fans calling for Butt Fumble Sanchez to start over Foles.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Doesn't matter what will or won't happen, the QB debate never ends for decades.  If they bring in a new QB it will be debating that QB vs Hurts vs Minshew, you'll have Wentz and Foles mentioned here and there.  It never stops.  The only time in recent memory we didn't have a QB controversy was when Wentz was playing lights out in 2017 before he got hurt.  Most fans finally thought we had the long-term answer.  Remember, at one time there were fans calling for Butt Fumble Sanchez to start over Foles.

I blame McNabb.

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I blame McNabb.

We need a QB who is FIERY like Garcia.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, NOTW said:

This is gonna be a looooong offseason of debating Hurts.

It's already hard to believe it's less than a week since the last game.

2 hours ago, downundermike said:

I mean, with this level of improvement, how could anyone debate Hurts being the starter in 2022

Growth!!!!!!

At this rate, he'll be an average QB a decade from now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/16/2022 at 2:00 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

Same as I did before this game.... Do not want. He is the offense equivalent to Gannon. 

Do you think Hurts should interview for offensive coordinator in Denver next year? LOL. I love when the Eagle fans show so much negativity to a QB, who the team just endorsed for next year. 

I think people should just like him, simply because it takes the same amount of time as hating him. LOL

15 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

Do you think Hurts should interview for offensive coordinator in Denver next year? LOL. I love when the Eagle fans show so much negativity to a QB, who the team just endorsed for next year. 

I think people should just like him, simply because it takes the same amount of time as hating him. LOL

1 hour ago, Traveler Vic said:

I've actually showed a lot of support for Hurts throughout the season. I don't hate him in the least but, I can not hate him and still think he isn't the answer. 

The team endorsing a player or a coach for next year right now means absolutely nothing. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, downundermike said:

I mean, with this level of improvement, how could anyone debate Hurts being the starter in 2022

I also wonder if there is such a Stat as how many wide open WRs has a QB missed throwing to over a season.