How do you feel about Hurts as the QB next year

How do you feel about Hurts as the QB next year  

145 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Hurts as the QB next year

• No, seen all I need to see
    • Yes, he is still young and can get better

I wouldn't have minded taking a day 3 flyer on Grayson McCall  of Coastal Carolina but he's returning to school and he'll probly be a Day 2 pick at worse next year 

5 hours ago, brkmsn said:

It's hard to answer that question. I don't think we ever really know what a player's ceiling is. JaMarcus Russell was projected to have a very high ceiling but he had no desire to work to get better as a player. Tom Brady was considered a low ceiling prospect --- but we know now just how competitive he is and how hard he works to be great. Eli was never the level of QB Peyton was, but has the same amount of Super Bowl wins.

Would I prefer to have the best QB in the NFL? Yes. Do I think teams need a QB to be a top 10 QB in order to win it all? No. 

image.thumb.jpeg.53d34d70392d03f0ee1584164e870035.jpeg

This was after Hurts finished his regular season. Using the majority of the advanced QB measuring tools, Hurts finished 17th overall. That’s pretty good for a developmental QB in his second year and first as a full time starter.

The narrative is that Hurts can’t beat good teams. The reality is that the Eagles can’t beat good teams. Hurts is part of that for sure, but he’s played well and beaten some good defences (eg Broncos/Saints). He didn’t have much of a chance against any borderline top 10 QB, because Gannon’s D let them go on long drives and score at will.

Hurts, has improved every year. People act like he can’t pass, but he completed 61% of passes this year. That’s not great, but it’s up from 52% the year before. If he can just improve a moderate amount to say 64/65 %, that’s just fine when you combine it with his running yards. 

I’m not saying that he is the franchise guy. In fact I think on balance he probably isn’t. But get him a good veteran WR, improve the D through the draft and see what he does next year. I’m just not buying this "Hurts is terrible and we have seen enough” narrative.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like the Eagles aren’t moving on from Hurts so the bottom line is some of you are gonna have to suck it up or find a new team to root for.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Sounds like the Eagles aren’t moving on from Hurts so the bottom line is some of you are gonna have to suck it up or find a new team to root for.

Regardless of their plans, they said exactly what the should say.

7 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

Yeah I actually agree - we won’t know until after the draft.

4 minutes ago, downundermike said:

They could’ve said their "we are always looking to improve our football team” comment they tend to use. They didn’t and like I’ve asked multiple times now when has Howie ever used multiple first round picks to trade for another teams veteran player even in his prime let alone some guy in his 30s? 

4 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

They could’ve said their "we are always looking to improve our football team” comment they tend to use. They didn’t and like I’ve asked multiple times now when has Howie ever used multiple first round picks to trade for another teams veteran player even in his prime let alone some guy in his 30s? 

7 minutes ago, downundermike said:

It’s funny, cause you think the opinions of fans matter. If that were the case Howie would’ve been gonna long time ago, but you didn’t answer my question. When has Howie traded multiple first round picks for a veteran player? Here’s a hint. The answer will get you the truth you’re hoping to avoid. 

I can see Howie's thinking here.   Let Hurts and his cheap contract take the hits while he builds a contender around him.  Then go get a good qb.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Macho Grande said:

I can see Howie's thinking here.   Let Hurts and his cheap contract take the hits while he builds a contender around him.  Then go get a good qb.  

Absolutely. That's the smart play. And look if something comes up in the meantime then I'll sure Howie will explore it. He won't close anything off but he'll be prepared to build a roster. He knows this team is not winning anything next year. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, brkmsn said:

It's hard to answer that question. I don't think we ever really know what a player's ceiling is. JaMarcus Russell was projected to have a very high ceiling but he had no desire to work to get better as a player. Tom Brady was considered a low ceiling prospect --- but we know now just how competitive he is and how hard he works to be great. Eli was never the level of QB Peyton was, but has the same amount of Super Bowl wins.

Would I prefer to have the best QB in the NFL? Yes. Do I think teams need a QB to be a top 10 QB in order to win it all? No. 

A few names come to mind with this statement. Doug Williams,  Trent Dilfer, Foles, etc.....all you need to win it all is a game managing QB IMO....

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Howie was unequivocal about Hurts.  

"We talk about Jalen and the growth he had, really first-year starter, second-year player, leading this team to the playoffs — tremendously impressed with his work ethic, his leadership,” Roseman said. "The last time we talked was during camp and we said we wanted to see him take the bull by the horns and he certainly did that.”

Asked to clarify if that means Hurts is the starter for 2022, Roseman answered, "Yes.”

Of course, he was also unequivocal about Bradford and Wentz so....

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

"We talk about Jalen and the growth he had, really first-year starter, second-year player, leading this team to the playoffs — tremendously impressed with his work ethic, his leadership,” Roseman said. "The last time we talked was during camp and we said we wanted to see him take the bull by the horns and he certainly did that.”

Asked to clarify if that means Hurts is the starter for 2022, Roseman answered, "Yes.”

In Howie world Unequivocal = don't make any long term plans here?

37 minutes ago, GeorgeM37 said:

A few names come to mind with this statement. Doug Williams,  Trent Dilfer, Foles, etc.....all you need to win it all is a game managing QB IMO....

But the rest of the team better be all - world or at least playing like it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

But the rest of the team better be all - world or at least playing like it.

oh no doubt....I totally agree with that....and thats what I was alluding to...

just another year of wastint away of a superstar WR we currently have with no one to throw the ball to him, can you imagine AB  on this team with hurts throwing those inaccurate balls to him, AB would explode, it would be epic

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, olsilverhair said:

just another year of wastint away of a superstar WR we currently have with no one to throw the ball to him, can you imagine AB  on this team with hurts throwing those inaccurate balls to him, AB would explode, it would be epic

We can always get K. Cousins. His WRs aren't "wasting away." They're always productive. Their team doesn't go anywhere, but hey ... production!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GeorgeM37 said:

Now compare that to how many superbowls great QBs have won.

Can you do it? Sure. It requires you to have a pretty darn good team all around that guy, and you can get lucky with a flash in the pan moment. Is it the highest probability way of getting there? No. Is it the best way of sustaining success over a long period of time? No.

A great QB can mask some issues in the rest of the team. You still need talent elsewhere but nowhere near as much than with a 'game manager' 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

We can always get K. Cousins. His WRs aren't "wasting away." They're always productive. Their team doesn't go anywhere, but hey ... production!

Yeah yeah, smith wasn’t happy Sunday either, roll with hurts another year, call it groundhog year, 

1 hour ago, kiwieagle said:

Now compare that to how many superbowls great QBs have won.

Can you do it? Sure. It requires you to have a pretty darn good team all around that guy, and you can get lucky with a flash in the pan moment. Is it the highest probability way of getting there? No. Is it the best way of sustaining success over a long period of time? No.

A great QB can mask some issues in the rest of the team. You still need talent elsewhere but nowhere near as much than with a 'game manager' 

And like I was saying earlier, I agree with that. Its not something I want to have to deal with all the time, no, not at all but if the team around him has elite talent level it can be done. Absolutely not do I want to be in that situation. I would want an elite passer and not just a game manager but its Hurts right now and I stick with and support whoever is under center. If they are going with him (and it looks like they are) then I would hope they upgrade the defense, get a power back, another number one receiver opposite Devonta and hopefully Kelce comes back and maybe Cox and hopefully BG comes back healthy. I mean, I can dream this will happen since we are at the moment, 'stuck' with Hurts.....

4 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

I think this thought process is what confuses the fan base. Howie was asked about Bradford after he made a bold move to jump up and get Wentz. They fully planned to use Bradford too until the Vikings gave them an offer they couldn’t refuse. The Eagles boldly went after a young quarterback and not a guy in his mid 30s. That’s the difference here. Does that mean Hurts is their guy beyond 2022? Probably not. 

2 minutes ago, GeorgeM37 said:

And like I was saying earlier, I agree with that. Its not something I want to have to deal with all the time, no, not at all but if the team around him has elite talent level it can be done. Absolutely not do I want to be in that situation. I would want an elite passer and not just a game manager but its Hurts right now and I stick with and support whoever is under center. If they are going with him (and it looks like they are) then I would hope they upgrade the defense, get a power back, another number one receiver opposite Devonta and hopefully Kelce comes back and maybe Cox and hopefully BG comes back healthy. I mean, I can dream this will happen since we are at the moment, 'stuck' with Hurts.....

If you look at the 2017 Eagles, it's not like we were full of elite players. It was a total team effort. We had important contributions from just about everybody. As much as we desire to have players that are the best of the best, it's more important to have a team full of players that have "bought into" the team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

Obviously production is better than victories. 

2 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

If you look at the 2017 Eagles, it's not like we were full of elite players. It was a total team effort. We had important contributions from just about everybody. As much as we desire to have players that are the best of the best, it's more important to have a team full of players that have "bought into" the team. 

I think I used the wrong when I typed 'elite' because I agree with you. At the very least, 'good' players...

7 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

You guys need to watch and listen to the press conference, not the cherry picked reporter takes. He said exactly that same quote you mentioned, he said it multiple times. He says the same things every year about believing in the guys they have in one sentence...then another says they're always open to making improvements. 

At first, he didn't commit. Reporter pressed him, he said yes Hurts will be 2022 starter. Then later another reporter said you said that last year about Wentz. Howie laughed, then gave a vague answer about always looking for opportunities at every position to improve.  

Asked about trading picks for a QB: says he's open to opportunities to improve any position, vague answer.