How do you feel about Hurts as the QB next year

How do you feel about Hurts as the QB next year  

145 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Hurts as the QB next year

• No, seen all I need to see
    • Yes, he is still young and can get better

15 minutes ago, NOTW said:

You guys need to watch and listen to the press conference, not the cherry picked reporter takes. He said exactly that same quote you mentioned, he said it multiple times. He says the same things every year about believing in the guys they have in one sentence...then another says they're always open to making improvements. 

At first, he didn't commit. Reporter pressed him, he said yes Hurts will be 2022 starter. Then later another reporter said you said that last year about Wentz. Howie laughed, then gave a vague answer about always looking for opportunities at every position to improve.  

Asked about trading picks for a QB: says he's open to opportunities to improve any position, vague answer.

I’m going to listen to the full conference later this week. I tried to listen on my way home from work, but couldn’t quite find it. With that being the case I feel like a lot of people are really reading too much into this thing. This isn’t a case of some previous GM getting fired and was forced with Hurts on his plate. The Eagles wanted and drafted Jalen Hurts. How many years have we been saying that JJAW needs to be cut? Low and behold he’s still here. How about Andre Dillard? How about Derek Barnett? The Eagles rarely just give up on their guys especially if they reach the point of becoming a starter.  I’d put money on Hurts being the 2022 starting quarterback in September and that’s not cause I believe in him so much, but I think the Eagles do. 

• Like 2

O have no confidence in Hurts starting next year at all. I watched every game but the opener because I was out the country. Hurts lacks both many things mentally and physically to succeed at the position. He has below average arm strength, happy feet in the pocket, he doesn't know how to step up in the pocket. He can't read a defense or make those quick decisions finding open receivers. He struggles making his progressions.

I don't think there was more than a dozen times over the season when Hurts dropped back, made the right read and got the ball out accurately on time. He was often indecisive and skittish in the pocket 

If this team starts Hurts next year, they are absolutely obtuse and cannot be helped.

And, if they are that helpless and incompetent, I have better things to do with my time.

• Thanks 1

That Poll is a perfect example of how philly fans and the idiot media look at player development.......they always think the "next big thing" or the next project QB will be better after 1 full season.

The fact is that they'd all be whining again if the eagles drafted another QB project and he struggled for a while......or  if they pay an arm and a leg for a veteran and they don't have the money or the draft picks to get some desperately needed defensive players.

73% of respondents said, no, seen all I need to see.....which was pretty much based on the last thing they saw.......typical philly.  

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

That Poll is a perfect example of how philly fans and the idiot media look at player development.......they always think the "next big thing" or the next project QB will be better after 1 full season.

The fact is that they'd all be whining again if the eagles drafted another QB project and he struggled for a while......or  if they pay an arm and a leg for a veteran and they don't have the money or the draft picks to get some desperately needed defensive players.

73% of respondents said, no, seen all I need to see.....which was pretty much based on the last thing they saw.......typical philly.  

"You're only as good as your last game" mentality

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NOTW said:

You guys need to watch and listen to the press conference, not the cherry picked reporter takes. He said exactly that same quote you mentioned, he said it multiple times. He says the same things every year about believing in the guys they have in one sentence...then another says they're always open to making improvements. 

At first, he didn't commit. Reporter pressed him, he said yes Hurts will be 2022 starter. Then later another reporter said you said that last year about Wentz. Howie laughed, then gave a vague answer about always looking for opportunities at every position to improve.  

Asked about trading picks for a QB: says he's open to opportunities to improve any position, vague answer.

You can't read too much into anything said in these PC's when it comes to specific players. The one statement Howie made that I picked up on was how one way for Hurts to improve is by improving the rest of the team. Not that this has any more meaning than anything else said but it is another clue to their general over all line of thinking.

1 hour ago, birdman#12 said:

Nobody thinks that.

The majority of us do realize how limited Hurts is. We see that the things he struggled with four years ago he's still struggling with after his second season (first as the FT starter) in the NFL. We see that he is too limited with arm strength.

People are much more willing to give a guy a chance if he shows growth or has great physical attributes as it pertains to throwing a football. 

He was 35% beyond one yard this past Sunday. One yard. 

2 hours ago, Thing3 said:

You can't read too much into anything said in these PC's when it comes to specific players. The one statement Howie made that I picked up on was how one way for Hurts to improve is by improving the rest of the team. Not that this has any more meaning than anything else said but it is another clue to their general over all line of thinking.

Well he also didn't acknowledge the question about not drafting a LB in 40 years or corner in 20 years in the 1st round.  He said they have a philosophy (didn't say what it was but we know it's build through the lines).  

He did say add talent around Jalen, he also said open to opportunities at QB, he also said open to trading a pick back to get another in 2023, he also said open to trading picks for a QB when directly asked about it, he also said a lot of things.  

When you watch the entire PC and hear all the questions - remember these are direct answers to bait questions the reporters ask - you get a full picture.  They definitely didn't dance around and not say Hurts was the starter, well Howie did at first.  He was asked if Hurts is the starter and didn't answer it...he gave a statement on Jalen's performance.  The reporter said "so is that a yes?"  Howie said, "yes."  Then another question he said they're always looking to improve at any position.  Then asked about trading for a QB, he didn't say no we don't need a QB Hurts is the guy...he said they're always open to improving the roster at any position.

So people will read into different things, it happens every year.  What matters is what they do.  Howie said Bradford was the starter and Wentz would sit to learn as a rookie...then the Vikings needed a QB.  Reid once said Kolb was the starter then the very next day named Vick the starter.  Doug said his coaches would be back, 2 days later they were fired.

They're not going to tip their hand on strategy, but they're also not going to throw their players under the bus.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Well he also didn't acknowledge the question about not drafting a LB in 40 years or corner in 20 years in the 1st round.  He said they have a philosophy (didn't say what it was but we know it's build through the lines).  

He did say add talent around Jalen, he also said open to opportunities at QB, he also said open to trading a pick back to get another in 2023, he also said open to trading picks for a QB when directly asked about it, he also said a lot of things.  

When you watch the entire PC and hear all the questions - remember these are direct answers to bait questions the reporters ask - you get a full picture.  They definitely didn't dance around and not say Hurts was the starter, well Howie did at first.  He was asked if Hurts is the starter and didn't answer it...he gave a statement on Jalen's performance.  The reporter said "so is that a yes?"  Howie said, "yes."  Then another question he said they're always looking to improve at any position.  Then asked about trading for a QB, he didn't say no we don't need a QB Hurts is the guy...he said they're always open to improving the roster at any position.

So people will read into different things, it happens every year.  What matters is what they do.  Howie said Bradford was the starter and Wentz would sit to learn as a rookie...then the Vikings needed a QB.  Reid once said Kolb was the starter then the very next day named Vick the starter.  Doug said his coaches would be back, 2 days later they were fired.

They're not going to tip their hand on strategy, but they're also not going to throw their players under the bus.

That's why I said you can't read too much into anything said in these PC's when it comes to specific players. They're not going to throw players under the bus (don't even do that when they let them go), tip their hand etc. All options are always on the table and they are always looking to improve..blah blah blah. What I found interesting about the improving the team around Hurts comment is that it seemed to almost be admitting that maybe Hurts can't improve enough on his own. It was somewhere I didn't think Howie needed to go which makes me wonder why he threw that out there.

But yes, trying to decide what's really going to happen from these PC's is like reading tea leaves. Not only that, these situations are so fluid it would be silly for them to speak in more definitive terms. The one PC where I do believe Lurie was being brutally honest, relatively speaking that is, was the one after DP got fired. I think he spelled out in no uncertain terms that we are in a multiyear rebuild and the plan was to acquire draft picks and rebuild through the draft.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Thing3 said:

Given the prospects at QB this year - draft, trade and free agency - using their considerable assets to improve the rest of the team this offseason makes a lot of sense.  There just isn't a viable QB option other than Hurts out there right now.  Don't force it.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Wow! What are the Hurts Huggers gonna say about this? 

Bucs coach says it on the sidelines. Microphone picks it up. Gets tweeted nationally.

Bucs coach says Jalen Hurts can't read a defense.

Bucs coach says what my eyes were telling me already.

Have we seen all we need to see?

6 minutes ago, CouchKing said:

Wow! What are the Hurts Huggers gonna say about this? 

Bucs coach says it on the sidelines. Microphone picks it up. Gets tweeted nationally.

Bucs coach says Jalen Hurts can't read a defense.

Bucs coach says what my eyes were telling me already.

Have we seen all we need to see?

FYI, Bucs cornerbacks coach and Temple Alum Kevin Ross is the coach saying this.

8 hours ago, Swoop said:

Nobody thinks that.

The majority of us do realize how limited Hurts is. We see that the things he struggled with four years ago he's still struggling with after his second season (first as the FT starter) in the NFL. We see that he is too limited with arm strength.

People are much more willing to give a guy a chance if he shows growth or has great physical attributes as it pertains to throwing a football. 

He was 35% beyond one yard this past Sunday. One yard. 

I've been an eagles fan all my life and yes, eagles fans and media absolutely think that.....

If you didn't see growth, then you, like 73 % of these respondents, don't know what you're looking at.......You have no idea how "limited" he is.....LMAO.

and like I said, one f------ game on sunday was a deciding factor which is downright idiotic.

There are many facets to QB development......not just "throwing the football"........

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

I've been an eagles fan all my life and yes, eagles fans and media absolutely think that.....

If you didn't see growth, then you, like 73 % of these respondents, don't know what you're looking at.......You have no idea how "limited" he is.....LMAO.

and like I said, one f------ game on sunday was a deciding factor which is downright idiotic.

There are many facets to QB development......not just "throwing the football"........

There was no growth, and he regressed in the second half of the season

Jalen Hurts has QB attributes that can't be taught.....or are VERY hard to teach.

And if you watched QB over time, you know they absolutely can increase arm strength and accuracy.  But not that many put that kind of time into it.  

From all reports, this kid is a workhorse who is highly committed to getting better in every aspect of being a pro QB.  The eagles would be prudent to bring in the best QB coach they can...Brian Johnson has done a decent job, but they need a guy like DeFilippo......who is one of the best.......If the bears let him go, the eagles should jump on him immediately.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, downundermike said:

There was no growth, and he regressed in the second half of the season

LMAO......another example of philly fans who don't know what they're looking at nor do they know what to look at.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

So much growth that the Bucs CB coach was on the sidelines talking about how he can't read the defense.

Why did his numbers drop across the board, while playing lesser opponents mind you, the second half of the season?

That's growth? Taking the ball out of his hands and him declining?

You'll catch on eventually.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Swoop said:

So much growth that the Bucs CB coach was on the sidelines talking about how he can't read the defense.

Why did his numbers drop across the board, while playing lesser opponents mind you, the second half of the season?

That's growth? Taking the ball out of his hands and him declining?

You'll catch on eventually.

Catch on? LMAO.....apparently you're so clueless that you don't know how clueless you are.

They ran the ball more, you moron.....of course some of his numbers dropped......except his completion pctg, his QBR, and his yards per attempt, which went up.  

Oh and against the saints and broncos, 3 teams that finished top 5 in the aikman defensive ratings, he played very well and had 5 TD total.  t

And reading defenses?  They ALL struggle with reading defenses their first couple years.....that's why many of them throw so many INTS early in their career......Mastering an offense and figuring out how it flows thru the many defenses and adjustments is a very difficult thing to do.  Sh-- I watched brady stuggle like hell against the saints earlier this year.....can you explain that?

You don't know what to look for....stop talking like you do....

• Like 1

Trade Hurts, trade for Foles, bring in Ridley or Robinson, convince Kelce to stay.

Draft mostly defense with a TE and big back. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

Catch on? LMAO.....apparently you're so clueless that you don't know how clueless you are.

They ran the ball more, you moron.....of course some of his numbers dropped......except his completion pctg, his QBR, and his yards per attempt, which went up.  

Oh and against the saints and broncos, 3 teams that finished top 5 in the aikman defensive ratings, he played very well and had 5 TD total.  t

And reading defenses?  They ALL struggle with reading defenses their first couple years.....that's why many of them throw so many INTS early in their career......Mastering an offense and figuring out how it flows thru the many defenses and adjustments is a very difficult thing to do.  Sh-- I watched brady stuggle like hell against the saints earlier this year.....can you explain that?

You don't know what to look for....stop talking like you do....

Lol - all the Hurts haters are seizing on that clip as if it proves that Hurts can never be a good starting QB. But they conveniently ignore that Hurts was voted as a pro bowl alternate, partly by the players and coaches.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, birdman#12 said:

I saw growth. Some of his better games were towards back half of the season (two WAS games, 1st half at Denver stand-out). But around about the same time, I also saw some of his worst games (the first Giants game, first half of second Giants game, Buccs). He was also starting from a ridiculously low base, so had nowhere to go but up. 

I am unconvinced he can ever get to a level which would be good enough but not dead set that he needs to be replaced. What shapes my view is that he's not a high end tools guy (like a Josh Allen), he's really really bad at some of the basics of QB play (reading the defence/decision making, consistent accuracy, escapes the pocket waaaay to early), the coach has to limit his offence a lot for him to be QB and we only ever beat up on really bad teams. But then he has really strong work ethic and leadership qualities, hes good at avoiding negative plays in sacks and turnovers and the scrambling adds an element to his game which bails him out a lot.

If they roll with Hurts for another, so be it - I understand that decision. If they draft a guy to replace him, so be it - I understand that decision.

• Like 1