Eagles never should have fired Reid

Procus

C'mon - it's pretty clear.  Should have left Reid in charge completely of football operations, and quietly steered him as needed from time to time to better meet team goals.

2012 was a storm with the death of Andy's son, and then all those injuries on the OL.  It was an outlier.  Eagles could have given Andy a sabbatical to reinvent himself and the team.  Looking back, as Jimmy Johnson once said about Reid - appreciate what you have. 

Eagles will never be able to duplicate what they had with Big Red.  Should have rode that horse into the sunset - warts and all.

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

It does feel that way sometimes, to be honest, but it's still an unknown as to how he would have done if he had stayed.

On the other hand, we know that firing him started the dominoes that won us a Lombardi.

Could we have won one with him? Maybe, but we can't say for sure.

So bird in hand...

• Like 6

Not completely sure we have our Super Bowl if we did. We both needed a change of scenery. 

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, Procus said:

C'mon - it's pretty clear.  Should have left Reid in charge completely of football operations, and quietly steered him as needed from time to time to better meet team goals.

2012 was a storm with the death of Andy's son, and then all those injuries on the OL.  It was an outlier.  Eagles could have given Andy a sabbatical to reinvent himself and the team.  Looking back, as Jimmy Johnson once said about Reid - appreciate what you have. 

Eagles will never be able to duplicate what they had with Big Red.  Should have rode that horse into the sunset - warts and all.

Can we change this to "Eagles should have drafted Mahomes and Hill" Reid needed a change of scenery. He could not get it done with his QB here. He knows how to use talent and is a good coach. And, they were lucky to win yesterday. Squib kick that burns 3 seconds could have changed the outcome and we would all be saying, "There's old Andy, the bridesmaid again"

• Thanks 2

Reid miscalculated on Kevin Kolb, and then he relied on an injury prone Mike Vick. The other death nil for Reid was his coaching staff at the end was completely a dysfunctional mess. Reid needed to get out of here with his son dying at training camp and the other in and out of jail. Both sides needed the change. With all that being the case I’d rather have Andy than Howie. I feel like with everything that was happening with Reid’s children Howie swooped in and took over a lot of Andy’s power. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Next_Up said:

Can we change this to "Eagles should have drafted Mahomes and Hill" Reid needed a change of scenery. He could not get it done with his QB here. He knows how to use talent and is a good coach. And, they were lucky to win yesterday. Squib kick that burns 3 seconds could have changed the outcome and we would all be saying, "There's old Andy, the bridesmaid again"

Andy chokes in the Conference Championship game. What is he 2 and 7?

2 minutes ago, Perforator said:

Andy chokes in the Conference Championship game. What is he 2 and 7?

3-5. 1 win with us and 2 with KC now. 

5 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

3-5. 1 win with us and 2 with KC now. 

he was 1 and 5 with us and didnt he lose one or two with the QB he had before Mahomes

Andy has the benefit of a bright young talent evaluator (Veach) to work with and they seem to work in lock step together.  We have … Howie.  And he often does his own thing ignoring everyone else.  Andy also has a much better coaching staff now than what we had toward the end of his tenure here (it was great in the early years).  I was always a Reid fan but it was time to move on.  Just happy for him to finally experience the feeling of winning it all after so many misses here. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, The Holy Vagabond said:

He made Juan Castillo, his DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR!! 

/thread. 

Still a better option than Gannon 

• Haha 3

Complete and total revisionist history. He was done here, completely burned out. He needed a change of scenery and new start elsewhere.

• Like 12

No.

I’m a huge Andy Reid fan, but it was obvious both sides needed a fresh start. Assuming that he would have had the same future success here with all the pressure and baggage that had built up, is illogical.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Perforator said:

he was 1 and 5 with us and didnt he lose one or two with the QB he had before Mahomes

He was 1-4 with us. 

With KC, you could be right that he lost an AFCCG with Smith but if he did, the exact game slips my mind. 

8 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

He was 1-4 with us. 

With KC, you could be right that he lost an AFCCG with Smith but if he did, the exact game slips my mind. 

Wrong, 2001-2004 and 2008.

Dumb topic.  Everyone wanted Reid gone, and if you didn't, you weren't watching.  His message had become stale, and he was terrible his last season here.  It was time to move on for both parties.  

• Like 3

The Dream Team crap did it for me. 

5 minutes ago, hputenis said:

Dumb topic.  Everyone wanted Reid gone, and if you didn't, you weren't watching.  His message had become stale, and he was terrible his last season here.  It was time to move on for both parties.  

In his defense, they were killed by injuries that year but his ultimate undoing was making Juan Castillo the DC. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

The Dream Team crap did it for me. 

In his defense, they were killed by injuries that year but his ultimate undoing was making Juan Castillo the DC

That was unbelievable.  Wasn't the top story in the Inquirer that morning titled, "WTF?"  😂

• Haha 1

He'd run his course in Philly, and by the end he was just throwing staff under the bus, McDermott was given no chance, then he hired and fired Castillo as DC, eventually the buck had to stop with Andy because the team was quitting on him and his family issues were out of control.

KC is a lot better run than the Eagles, they have a great scouting team and a GM that listens to them, and he has a good staff.

• Like 1

I was as pro-Reid as anyone on the boards at the time, but by the end Reid’s time in Philly had run it’s course. 

The family troubles and Kevin Kolb busting really took its toll on he and the team. Andy the person needed a change.

37 minutes ago, Perforator said:

Wrong, 2001-2004 and 2008.

Yes, that’s 5 total seasons which matches the record I gave. He won one conference title game and lost 4. 

• Like 2