Eagles never should have fired Reid

Procus

2 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

I'm sure there's a part of Jeff Lurie that wishes he still had Reid here.

Considering all the phone calls still makes to Reid for advice this is a certainty

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wyote said:

It seems to have worked out for both parties. It's like my ex-wives told me, sometimes it's best for everyone if we take half your money and move on. It was hard at the time but as they've aged and I've made more money, I can see that they were right. 

I loved you in Hot Shots: Part Deux

pain1.jpg

pain2.jpg

pain3.jpg

pain4.jpg

pain5.jpg

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Philthy Jawn said:

I thought Juan was really good at game-planning for the opponent.  Oftentimes, his defenses were stout in the first three quarters of the game.  On the other hand, it always seemed like it was the fourth quarter that doomed him, as he was not equally good at in-game adjustments.  I do wonder if he could have become better at that with time.

I don't see why he couldn't have become better as a DC, he became better at everything else he did why not at DC.

Let's not forget he didn't have much to work with on D either, his LBs and secondary were as devoid of talent as today's eagles and to make matters worse Washburn was flying solo with the d line.

It was a doomed from the beginning.

6 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Horrendously dumb post.  Revisionist history.  Reid was not this "great" coach he is now the last 5 seasons in Philly.  He also wasn't this great coach before he got an all time great at QB.  So just stop....Firing him was the best thing for him and us.  He was stale and stagnant here.  

Never made it past the divisional round in KC until he got Mahomes. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gregbwfc1 said:

Well, he's had Mahomes the majority of his time in KC.  

AR is the best offensive mind the the NFL, maybe NFL history.  He's also an exceptional roster builder, perhaps the best in the NFL...although he was quirky with his drafts in Philly (which have been outstanding in KC).

10 years of falling short which culminated with a season in which the team quit on him.  I never wanted to fire AR.  But a mutual, amicable divorce is what happened and what was necessary.  We each got our SB.  We got 1 (and that's it for a long time).  AR will get several.  But after 10 years of baggage, both were better off apart than together.

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Yeah, Mahomes is pretty good at football.  

Indeed he is.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wyote said:

It seems to have worked out for both parties. It's like my ex-wives told me, sometimes it's best for everyone if we take half your money and move on. It was hard at the time but as they've aged and I've made more money, I can see that they were right. 

Will you marry me? It seems like a profitable endeavor...

4 hours ago, gregbwfc1 said:

Who had the foresight to draft Mahomes?  Who developed Mahomes into a star?  IIRC, he was pretty raw coming out of Texas Tech.

On 1/24/2022 at 1:25 PM, Procus said:

Eagles will never be able to duplicate what they had with Big Red.  Should have rode that horse into the sunset - warts and all.

They surpassed what he did in 2017.  Also, sometimes players and/or coaches just need a change of scenery in order for them to succeed.  It is what it is.  

On 1/24/2022 at 11:30 AM, Perforator said:

Wrong, 2001-2004 and 2008.

You're wrong,

In NFCCG's specifically, he lost to the Rams, the Bucs, the Panthers, then beat the Falcons, and then lost to the Cardinals. That made him 1-4 with us in NFCCG's with the Eagles. 

1 hour ago, JohnB said:

You're wrong,

In NFCCG's specifically, he lost to the Rams, the Bucs, the Panthers, then beat the Falcons, and then lost to the Cardinals. That made him 1-4 with us in NFCCG's with the Eagles. 

I think if he had the right QB, he would have won one SB with the Eagles.  McNabb was great overall, but he did come up small all too often when the team was relying on him most.

1 hour ago, JohnB said:

You're wrong,

And how many NFCCG's have the Eagles been in since he left? How many were they in while he was here? How many total Conference Finals has he been in? How many Super Bowls has his teams been in? I'll put it to you this way: Andy Reid is a great coach. He had a LOT more winning seasons than losing for the Eagles. He also had Howie to deal with, so. 😆

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Talonblood said:

And how many NFCCG's have the Eagles been in since he left? How many were they in while he was here? How many total Conference Finals has he been in? How many Super Bowls has his teams been in? I'll put it to you this way: Andy Reid is a great coach. He had a LOT more winning seasons than losing for the Eagles. He also had Howie to deal with, so. 😆

If the goal is to win the Super Bowl the fat man was an utter failure here. Good riddance.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Procus said:

I think if he had the right QB, he would have won one SB with the Eagles.  McNabb was great overall, but he did come up small all too often when the team was relying on him most.

So you're saying it's the players not the coach 😀.

Honestly, don't mind me bud. My frustration stems from Andy not getting it done for the Eagles.

I know objectively he's a top coach, but my fan logic dictates he was a failure. 

What I recall is that Reid's decisions on personnel, both players and coaches had caused the team to decline.

He had to go.

• Like 1

It's like saying I should have never divorced my EX husband, because he is doing great with his new wife. LOL. Let's face it, it was time for him to go, because he was done with you. LOL

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, gregbwfc1 said:

So you're saying it's the players not the coach 😀.

Honestly, don't mind me bud. My frustration stems from Andy not getting it done for the Eagles.

I know objectively he's a top coach, but my fan logic dictates he was a failure. 

Put it like this, if for some crazy reason, circumstances were switched and the Eagles drafted Brady while the Pats drafted McNabb, what team do you think would have had all those trophies?

On 1/24/2022 at 7:18 PM, What The F said:

Wrong.  We should have never fired Doug P.  Wentz should have been shown the door before anything with Doug became an issue. 

I don't believe DP getting fired had anything to do with the Wentz situation. Based on Lurie's comments it was because the FO felt we needed a complete multi-year rebuild and DP had different ideas.

As for AR, it was time for both parties to move on. I don't even know why this would be up for debate. Both AR and the Eagles had success after moving on. That said, I would be happy to have him back now.

5 minutes ago, Thing3 said:

I don't believe DP getting fired had anything to do with the Wentz situation. Based on Lurie's comments it was because the FO felt we needed a complete multi-year rebuild and DP had different ideas.

As for AR, it was time for both parties to move on. I don't even know why this would be up for debate. Both AR and the Eagles had success after moving on. That said, I would be happy to have him back now.

I would too if Mahomes came with him. 

36 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I would too if Mahomes came with him. 

Even without Mahomes I'd have him back in hopes he could develop another Mahomes here. Andy is really good at building teams and developing players that can compete on a consistent basis. That's just what we could use right now. But that's not going to happen so no point even entertaining the thought.

• Like 1

Andy did a lot of good things in Philly.  His winning record aside, he wasn’t afraid to make tough choices and buck the system (for better or worse).  

He drafted McNabb over Williams, much to the ire of a large portion of the fanbase, and got it right.  He had the stomach to cut/trade fan favorite players when he sensed the time was right, and definitely made the right call more often than not (think Duce/Trotter).  

I’d argue that he was the singular catalyst for a massive, positive shift in draft philosophy, too.  When I was growing up, insiders and talking heads thought you were crazy if you drafted an offensive lineman in the first round.  Andy didn’t care, showing the previously dismissed value in quality OLineman as 1st round assets, and made it a talking point for the drafts we see today.

But he did have glaring, maddening flaws in his on-field decision making that were worthy absolutely worthy of criticism.  Time management, hyper-conservative playcalling (especially once he had a lead), etc.  At the end, with the extreme difficulties in his personal life hovering over him, it had spiraled into his personnel choices and it was clear that he needed a fresh start.  It was the right move to let him go, it benefited both parties,  and history has proven that.

• Like 3

I think both sides needed a fresh start by 2012. The team had gotten stale, going 4-12 losing 11 of the last 12 games. Reid was fired, Chip Kelly comes in overhauling the roster, leading to Doug P. and the 2018 Super Bowl win. Andy goes to KC, winning the Super Bowl in 2020. 

It seems to have worked out for both. Who knows if they would have won a Super Bowl if Andy stayed in Philly.