Eagles never should have fired Reid

Procus

The letting Reid go was justified. It ran it's course here. Stale message, a change was needed, etcc.

He has had success elsewhere, nothing wrong with that as he is a great HC. Kudos to him and the KC Franchise. I am getting a bit sick and tired of them being in the AFCCG though. But hey, someone has to beat them. Bills should have.

And we have this...............:LII:

And I will take THAT trophy over having Andy keep on Coaching the Eagles.

1 hour ago, Procus said:

C'mon - it's pretty clear.  Should have left Reid in charge completely of football operations, and quietly steered him as needed from time to time to better meet team goals.

2012 was a storm with the death of Andy's son, and then all those injuries on the OL.  It was an outlier.  Eagles could have given Andy a sabbatical to reinvent himself and the team.  Looking back, as Jimmy Johnson once said about Reid - appreciate what you have. 

Eagles will never be able to duplicate what they had with Big Red.  Should have rode that horse into the sunset - warts and all.

at least your insanity isn't just limited to political matters. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Reid miscalculated on Kevin Kolb, and then he relied on an injury prone Mike Vick. The other death nil for Reid was his coaching staff at the end was completely a dysfunctional mess. Reid needed to get out of here with his son dying a training camp and the other in and out of jail. Both sides needed the change. With all that being the case I’d rather have Andy than Howie. I feel like with everything that was happening with Reid’s children Howie swooped in and took over a lot of Andy’s power. 

Reid by the time he was fired needed a change of scenery.  Going to KC was the best thing for him and Lurie knew Andy would quickly get another job (he became the Chiefs HC FOUR DAYS after being fired by the Eagles).  I wonder if Andy had taken Kirk Cousins late in the third round instead of Nick Foles how things would have worked out.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Procus said:

C'mon - it's pretty clear.  Should have left Reid in charge completely of football operations, and quietly steered him as needed from time to time to better meet team goals.

2012 was a storm with the death of Andy's son, and then all those injuries on the OL.  It was an outlier.  Eagles could have given Andy a sabbatical to reinvent himself and the team.  Looking back, as Jimmy Johnson once said about Reid - appreciate what you have. 

Eagles will never be able to duplicate what they had with Big Red.  Should have rode that horse into the sunset - warts and all.

but the Eagles won the Super Bowl after Reid left,  and the Eagles had never won the Super Bowl before that.

There was a long list of Reid's faults we all complained about for years.  The Eagles were never going to get over the hump and win with Reid.  It worked in KC with the personnel, drafting Mahomes and having a fresh start.  Having said that, he brought consistent winning to the Eagles organization and established some strong philosophies for preparation, building through the lines and of course...rewarding players with food.  He had Fast Food Friday, Chip had his healthy smoothies, Doug and ice cream.  Siri is more into flower analogies and t-shirts so far.

Andy needed a change and if I recall right most of the fanbase wanted a change as well. Frankly, there are a lot of teams that if they had mahomes/kelce/hill they would be contending for a SB consistently even without andy as a coach.  Even that idiot Switzer managed to get a SB out of Aikman/Smith/Irwin. 

Yes they should have.......................You are wrong.

Have a nice day 

The only reason they won that game yesterday was because since Reid has become the Head Coach in KC, they do not let him call time outs ever!!  The fact they had all 3 with 13 seconds remaining is some demented parallel universe!   He would normally burn through 3, 13 seconds INTO A HALF!

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Perforator said:

he was 1 and 5 with us and didnt he lose one or two with the QB he had before Mahomes

3 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Yes, that’s 5 total seasons which matches the record I gave. He won one conference title game and lost 4. 

He lost one with Mahomes.

6 minutes ago, beto_eagles said:

He lost one with Mahomes.

Right. I was talking about his conference championship game record here. 

The only way Reid could have continued as coach here was if the front office had drafted Russell Wilson in the second round instead of waiting for him in the third.  Imagine if we had Wilson coupled with Jackson, Maclin, and McCoy?  And had drafted Johnson and Ertz the following year?  It's not hard to believe that we may have won a Superbowl with that bunch.

But as others have said, it had run its course and Andy was burned out here. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

Reid by the time he was fired needed a change of scenery.  Going to KC was the best thing for him and Lurie knew Andy would quickly get another job (he became the Chiefs HC FOUR DAYS after being fired by the Eagles).  I wonder if Andy had taken Kirk Cousins late in the third round instead of Nick Foles how things would have worked out.  

I doubt it would have mattered. Reid tried to say he could groom Foles to save his job. It didn’t work. There was just too much going on in Andy’s life at that point although I was surprised he wasted little time taking the Chiefs job.

Wrong.  We should have never fired Doug P.  Wentz should have been shown the door before anything with Doug became an issue. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Is everyone forgetting this move? JWCNFOELIFE7PKFB73TH2TLGNI.thumb.jpeg.19a53a8c21afefe256f82dfa0b45d4de.jpeg

I'm not forgetting 

Juan Castillo statistically was better than McDermott before him and bowles and Davis after him.

And none of those 3 had to deal with Jim Washburn.

People often forget that Juan Castillo played LB in college and the USFL and coached defense in high school and college 

It's not like he was a life time OL coach 

He's a good coach abetter person and teacher no matter which side of the ball he's on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, What The F said:

Wrong.  We should have never fired Doug P.  Wentz should have been shown the door before anything with Doug became an issue. 

Doug P was so overmatched as a head coach last year it was embarrassing. He deserved to get fired.  He catered to the weaknesses of the offense on a week to week basis, which just so happens to be the opposite of what you should do as a head coach. 

• Thanks 1

You have to conceder what was going on in Reid’s personnel life when we departed from him.  He needed time to reflect and needed a change of scenery.  

it was bigger than football.  I’m happy he found a new home and has succeeded.  

that’s all I got. 

35 minutes ago, Utebird said:

I'm not forgetting 

Juan Castillo statistically was better than McDermott before him and bowles and Davis after him.

People often forget that Juan Castillo played LB in college and the USFL and coached defense in high school and college 

He's a good coach abetter person and teacher no matter which side of the ball he's on.

I thought Juan was really good at game-planning for the opponent.  Oftentimes, his defenses were stout in the first three quarters of the game.  On the other hand, it always seemed like it was the fourth quarter that doomed him, as he was not equally good at in-game adjustments.  I do wonder if he could have become better at that with time.

As the above posters stated, you really have to go back into the context of the 2011 and 2012 seasons. Yes, he had a lot on his plate with losing his son and balancing family with football. However, you cannot forget the sequence of events that led to his firing: replacing a young promising defensive assistant in Sean McDermott (now Bills HC) at DC with Juan Castillo, an OL coach that had not coached defense since 1989. Let's not forget the "Dream Team" offseason and the disappointment that followed.

49 minutes ago, SNOORDA said:

You have to conceder what was going on in Reid’s personnel life when we departed from him.  He needed time to reflect and needed a change of scenery.  

it was bigger than football.  I’m happy he found a new home and has succeeded.  

that’s all I got. 

It’s a good thing his son got all that extra help. 

We’ve made the playoffs 5 of the 10 seasons since firing Reid, have 4 playoff wins and a super bowl trophy. 

You would risk that just to have Reid back? There’s no promise he wins his ring here

It seems to have worked out for both parties. It's like my ex-wives told me, sometimes it's best for everyone if we take half your money and move on. It was hard at the time but as they've aged and I've made more money, I can see that they were right. 

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Utebird said:

I'm not forgetting 

I think the way Andy threw Castillo under the bus was when I began to think he was done, and I agree that Castillo's coaching background was well overplayed.

That said being better than McDermott isn't hard when you're corners are Asante, Asomugha and Rodgers Cromartie, while McDermott's were Asante, Joselio Hanson and Dmitri Patterson, the d line for McDermott in 2010 was basically Trent Cole, Juqua Parker and 2 other guys once Brandon Graham went for microfracture surgery and at safety, Allen went on IR meaning both the high draft picks that were supposed to help the defense were in the treatment room. Castillo's first season, they went wide 9, Babin came back and had his career season and they brought Cullen Jenkins in as a rotational guy. Who knows what McDermott might have done with Castillo's personnel, but all the evidence suggests he'd have been a top end defensive coordinator.

• Like 1

I will always like and respect Andy Reid.  For as crazy as he drove me sometimes, he was still the best coach we've ever had (overall).  That said, the parting of ways was best for both sides.  Reid needed it, for sure.  I'm sure there's a part of Jeff Lurie that wishes he still had Reid here.

• Like 2