Horror Movie Thread

hputenis

This might not be worth a new topic but I thought I’d give it a shot.  The movie thread gets less clicks than Elliot Shor-Parks.  

I’m a huge horror movie fan, but a good horror movie is sooo tough to find.  I’m a Rob Zombie nut.  The Devil’s Rejects is my favorite horror movie of all time, and I’m also old.  So please don’t tell me "the exorcist” is scary like I haven’t seen any of the terrible "classics.”  

Please post any great horror movies you enjoy here so I can watch them during this pandemic. 

This was one of my go to genres as a young child starting to watch movies in the early 90s. Of the ones that turned into massive franchises, nightmare on elm st is my favorite (I think of stuff like Halloween, F13, child’s play, leprechaun as things in that realm as they had huge 80s and 90s presence with tons of sequels). 

I can’t really think of any that legitimately terrified me or made me uncomfortable after watching tho. Maybe Candy Man (or CM2, can’t remember exactly) but probably watched whichever it was at like 10-11 years old. 

One that I haven’t seen anywhere to watch in years and years, that’s in the vampire genre (which I enjoy), was "The Night Flyer” if I’m remembering the name correctly. Basically a vampire that had a personal jet that would fly from one rural airport to another and just brutally kill everyone, and some guy was tracking him... I think it was like a journalist and not a vampire hunter. That’s one from my childhood that I’ve always wanted to rewatch since it’s been 20ish years to see how it would hold up viewing now. 

For those with Hulu The series Into the Dark is a Blumhouse produced film series. One a month. very hit or miss but more hit than miss IMO with a couple great ones in there. Fans of horror should check it out. 

• Like 1

I saw The Ring when I was like 11 and didn't sleep for days. 

To this day you couldn't pay me to watch that movie.

• Like 3

Also, fiance and I watched The Gift on Netflix the other day. It was ok. Not very scary but somewhat interesting. 

Also watched The Perfection on Netflix. Afterwards was left saying, wtf did I just watch. 

Basically haven't seen any good horror movies recently.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, homerpat said:

For those with Hulu The series Into the Dark is a Blumhouse produced film series. One a month. very hit or miss but more hit than miss IMO with a couple great ones in there. Fans of horror should check it out. 

Which ones are the great ones?

21 minutes ago, BirdsFanBill said:

Also, fiance and I watched The Gift on Netflix the other day. It was ok. Not very scary but somewhat interesting. 

Also watched The Perfection on Netflix. Afterwards was left saying, wtf did I just watch. 

Basically haven't seen any good horror movies recently.

😂 I liked both of these movies.  The Perfection was so messed up!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hputenis said:

😂 I liked both of these movies.  The Perfection was so messed up!

I actually liked The Perfection, but it was definitely bizarre. Was captivating for sure.

I didn't know The Devils Rejects was considered a horror movie. He's come out with other movies since then

House of A 1000 Corpses was a good movie

The first Paranormal Activity was a good scary movie. The others not so much

I liked the first Quarantine movie

The first Grudge movie was freaky

I'm a fan of the supernatural and demon/devil movies

Silent Hill was good

Jeepers Creepers

Googling horror movies surprised me by what movies are considered horror movies. There's also subcategories like Actions, Adventure, Monster horror movies

• Like 1

Oh. Pandorum was really good IMO. Surprised it was rated so badly

• Like 2

That was freaky

There were a few cave/pyramid movies that came out around the same time

32 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I didn't know The Devils Rejects was considered a horror movie. He's come out with other movies since then

House of A 1000 Corpses was a good movie

The first Paranormal Activity was a good scary movie. The others not so much

I liked the first Quarantine movie

The first Grudge movie was freaky

I'm a fan of the supernatural and demon/devil movies

Silent Hill was good

Jeepers Creepers

Googling horror movies surprised me by what movies are considered horror movies. There's also subcategories like Actions, Adventure, Monster horror movies

Love all these movies - good selection!  I don't think I've seen Silent Hill, so I'll have to check it out.  Technically the Devil's Rejects is a loose sequel to House of 1000 Corpses.  Those are definitely my 2 favorites from Rob Zombie.  I'm one of the few that even likes his bad movies (Lords of Salem, 31, Halloween remakes).  

A relatively unknown horror movie that is damn creepy is "As Above So Below."  It's on Netflix right now.  About a docu crew searching for the Philosopher's stone in the catacombs of Paris.  

9 minutes ago, hputenis said:

Love all these movies - good selection!  I don't think I've seen Silent Hill, so I'll have to check it out.  Technically the Devil's Rejects is a loose sequel to House of 1000 Corpses.  Those are definitely my 2 favorites from Rob Zombie.  I'm one of the few that even likes his bad movies (Lords of Salem, 31, Halloween remakes).  

31 was disappointing. There was a lot of hype about the rating on it and needing a bunch of edits. I didn't think it was that graphic

36 minutes ago, The_Omega said:

One of the best in recent times

MV5BMjA5NzQ1NTgwNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjUx

Agree on this!  I saw this in theaters expecting nothing, and this movie scared the ish out of me.  

• Like 1

Not sure if it's considered horror, but Silence of the Lambs is an all time great, and The Conjuring 1 & 2 were really good too.

• Like 2

Actually, staying in the Conjuring universe, I thought that Annabelle: Creation was fantastic, too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The_Omega said:

Actually, staying in the Conjuring universe, I thought that Annabelle: Creation was fantastic, too.

They should just make a spin-off movie for every single haunted artifact in that demon room.  

A lot of good titles listed already with Carpenter's The Thing and Texas Chainsaw Massacre usually listed as my favorites.  

I'm a horror junkie although I've been watching a less horror lately as I've been deep diving on 70s action movies lately.

Some personal favorites a little more out of the mainstream, off the top of my head:

Angst (83)

The Beyond, although I could include a bunch of Fulci movies on my favorites list

Body snatchers remake from '78

Kill List

May

The Changeling

Suspiria but again, obviously, tons of Argento you could include like Tenebre 

Jacob's Ladder

Blood and Black Lace plus others from Bava's filmography

Demons 1 & 2

• Like 2

My favorite most recent horror flicks were Hereditary and Midsommar.  That director, Ari Aster, definitely has some screws loose.  I can't wait for his next movie.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Shepard Wong said:

A lot of good titles listed already with Carpenter's The Thing and Texas Chainsaw Massacre usually listed as my favorites.  

I'm a horror junkie although I've been watching a less horror lately as I've been deep diving on 70s action movies lately.

Some personal favorites a little more out of the mainstream, off the top of my head:

Angst (83)

The Beyond, although I could include a bunch of Fulci movies on my favorites list

Body snatchers remake from '78

Kill List

May

The Changeling

Suspiria but again, obviously, tons of Argento you could include like Tenebre 

Jacob's Ladder

Blood and Black Lace plus others from Bava's filmography

Demons 1 & 2

Thanks for the list!  I haven't seen a bunch of these.  The problem for me with older horror movies is that if I didn't see it growing up, it's hard for me to get into it now.  I somehow didn't watch the Exorcist when I was a kid, and when I saw it for the first time, it wasn't scary at all to me.  However, I grew up watching Nightmare on Elm St and Halloween.......and those classics still scare the ish out of me.