Horror Movie Thread

hputenis

I've seen just about all of the cannibal sub-genre at some point.  I would never count them among my favorite movies or even seek them out for a re-watch but I would recommend horror fans at least see the major titles like CH.  Obviously, it probably the least PC horror sub-genre there is so I wouldn't advise it for people bothered by that kind of thing.  The animal mutilation is pretty unpleasant even for the most hardened viewers.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Shepard Wong said:

I've seen just about all of the cannibal sub-genre at some point.  I would never count them among my favorite movies or even seek them out for a re-watch but I would recommend horror fans at least see the major titles like CH.  Obviously, it probably the least PC horror sub-genre there is so I wouldn't advise it for people bothered by that kind of thing.  The animal mutilation is pretty unpleasant even for the most hardened viewers.  

I watched this movie mainly because of the international banning and all of the attention it received.  But I agree, it is not for the faint of heart.  I had a lot of trouble getting through it.  What are some other ones you've seen?  I didn't realize there was a "sub-genre."  This reminds me of a pretty good one I saw on Netflix awhile back, called the Green Inferno.   I thought it was really good.  But if the shock factor is too much for you, then I strongly suggest to stay away!  

1 hour ago, Shepard Wong said:

I agree with the sentiment that foreign horror was stronger in the 90's than our domestic stuff.  

Some 90's personal favorites aside from some previously mentioned titles:

Misery

Audition

Cure

Addiction

In the Mouth of Madness

Event Horizon

Cemetery Man

New Nightmare

Ravenous

Candyman

Half of that list is just further proof the 90's sucked for horror.  The other half are Koreans and super independent titles.  Ravenous is a damn fine indie film.

47 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Half of that list is just further proof the 90's sucked for horror.  The other half are Koreans and super independent titles.  Ravenous is a damn fine indie film.

Scream isn’t even on there which is the GOAT of the 90s

1 minute ago, Agent23 said:

Scream isn’t even on there which is the GOAT of the 90s

I thought someone had already mentioned it. It’s pretty universally acknowledged as one of if not the high point of 90s horror.

34 minutes ago, Shepard Wong said:

I thought someone had already mentioned it. It’s pretty universally acknowledged as one of if not the high point of 90s horror.

I mentioned it for what it is.  A tall midget in a weak 90's field.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hputenis said:

I watched this movie mainly because of the international banning and all of the attention it received.  But I agree, it is not for the faint of heart.  I had a lot of trouble getting through it.  What are some other ones you've seen?  I didn't realize there was a "sub-genre."  This reminds me of a pretty good one I saw on Netflix awhile back, called the Green Inferno.   I thought it was really good.  But if the shock factor is too much for you, then I strongly suggest to stay away!  

I commented on that on the last page. Saw it in theaters and I was really excited for it, and it was decent, but I hate the way Eli Roth forces comedy or something way over the top for no real reason. Like take away the random guy J.O.'ing in the cage and then the other guy who LOLZ HAS DIARRHEA AND ITS STINKY! and the movie would be better.  

• Like 1

Forgot to mention, if you are into Action/Horror or a big fan of Wolfenstein, or just like good movies in general, I highly, highly recommend Overlord. 

1 hour ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Forgot to mention, if you are into Action/Horror or a big fan of Wolfenstein, or just like good movies in general, I highly, highly recommend Overlord. 

Overlord was a fun watch. I’ve been meaning to pick up the 4K disc for a rewatch 

Regarding '90's horror, for what it was, Tales From the Crypt: Demon Knight was a fun little movie.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shepard Wong said:

I agree with the sentiment that foreign horror was stronger in the 90's than our domestic stuff.  

Some 90's personal favorites aside from some previously mentioned titles:

Misery

Audition

Cure

Addiction

In the Mouth of Madness

Event Horizon

Cemetery Man

New Nightmare

Ravenous

Candyman

In the mouth of madness scared the bejeezuz out of me when I saw it in the theater.

13 hours ago, The_Omega said:

Regarding '90's horror, for what it was, Tales From the Crypt: Demon Knight was a fun little movie.

I own that on digital :lol:

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, The_Omega said:

I like Demon Knight quite a bit.  I saw it again when it screened as part of a horrorthon a year or two ago and it played great with an audience.  

20 hours ago, The_Omega said:

Haven't seen this one.  Are Tales from the Crypt movies anthologies like Creepshow, or is it just a single movie?  

Some of my favorite anthologies:

-Creepshow, Creepshow 2, Tales from the Hood, Southbound (awesome), the VHS movie series, Trick "R Treat, Tales from the Darkside, Tales of Halloween.  I got sucked into an Amazon Prime wormhole searching for new horror anthologies once, and OMG..............they have some of the worst, lowest budget, terrible movies ever made there.  

Tales from the Crypt movies aren't anthologies, just single stories but the first is very good.  The second, Bordello of Blood, less so but still fun. 

I agree on all those anthologies you listed except I haven't seen Southbound or Tales of Halloween yet.  They've been in my queue forever but haven't gotten around to them yet.  

Some of the older anthologies worth checking out are Black Sabbath, Asylum, From Beyond the Grave, Kwaidan (less horror/more Japanese folk stories but great), The House that Dripped Blood.

There are more good ones out there but those are the first to come to mind.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hputenis said:

Haven't seen this one.  Are Tales from the Crypt movies anthologies like Creepshow, or is it just a single movie?  

Some of my favorite anthologies:

-Creepshow, Creepshow 2, Tales from the Hood, Southbound (awesome), the VHS movie series, Trick "R Treat, Tales from the Darkside, Tales of Halloween.  I got sucked into an Amazon Prime wormhole searching for new horror anthologies once, and OMG..............they have some of the worst, lowest budget, terrible movies ever made there.  

Yeah, like SW said, it's a standalone, single movie.  Demon Knight was surprisingly good, Bordello of Blood was so bad it was bad.

Demon Knight has the stuttering guy from Shawshank that gave Andy the rope, has the arsehole bf from Titanic (lol we know his name is Billy Zane), and has Jada Pinkett. Not sure any of the rest of the cast are super recognizable. 

I rewatched "in the mouth of madness” last night. Did not hold up as well at "Trick or Treat” did 😆

Just watched Hereditary - that ish was 1000000% worse than Midsommar - terrifying

On 5/11/2020 at 1:03 PM, hputenis said:

Thanks for the list!  I haven't seen a bunch of these.  The problem for me with older horror movies is that if I didn't see it growing up, it's hard for me to get into it now.  I somehow didn't watch the Exorcist when I was a kid, and when I saw it for the first time, it wasn't scary at all to me.  However, I grew up watching Nightmare on Elm St and Halloween.......and those classics still scare the ish out of me.  

To this day - I still can't watch The Exorcist late at night if I'm alone (and obviously in the dark).  With company - sure - in the daylight - sure.  And don't even believe in any of that stuff! 

I think some of you are confusing thrillers with horror. There is a difference 

Like someone mentioned "silence of the lambs" that is a thriller. " Predator" sci fi thriller just like " Alien" 

33 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I think some of you are confusing thrillers with horror. There is a difference 

Like someone mentioned "silence of the lambs" that is a thriller. " Predator" sci fi thriller just like " Alien" 

Meh, I don’t see what the difference is between a maybe zombie stalking camp counselors and killing them gruesomely vs an alien stalking mercenaries in a jungle and killing them gruesomely 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Meh, I don’t see what the difference is between a maybe zombie stalking camp counselors and killing them gruesomely vs an alien stalking mercenaries in a jungle and killing them gruesomely 

There is a difference dammit! Lol. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

There is a difference dammit! Lol. 

Lol don’t know if you were referring to me because I mentioned Predator in an earlier post but I did separate it as sci/fi horror since it’s not a traditional horror but definitely has horror elements.

and with this barrel of worms opened what do we call Leprechaun 4: In Space or Jason X?