hputenis

4 hours ago, Shepard Wong said:

3 all time greats

That's what your mom said last night.

Bah!  Mom in triple joke.  :flex:

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, hputenis said:

Which ones are the great ones?

I liked The Body, Down, Uncanny Annie, Pilgrim, Crawlers and loved A Nasty Piece of Work

also liked Pooka Lives but despised Pooka. def nothing alike. 

• Like 1

Some old favorites

April Fools Day

Rabid Grannies

Sleep away Camp

Fright Night

Killer Klowns from Outerspace

and absolutely adore everything Evil Dead related. Ash is best horror movie character of all time. 

Of recent horror I haven’t found anything I loved. do like Hereditary and Midsommar like everyone else but they aren’t amazing but are really well shot. Just didn’t scare me.

My all time favorite has to be The Dawn of the Dead remake. Grew up watching zombie movies and original Dead trilogy and absolutely loved it. Don’t give a crap if zombies run or walk. I’m not that much of a purist. Was always a little pissed when TWD hit because my little niche became too popular. Yeah you get more content, but it’s watered down

• Like 1

^yes Killer Klowns is awesome... Not scary just an awesome movie... I read they're trying to get it made to a show which would be great... 

Critters the first one was a favorite of mine... 

Hellraiser 1 and 2 some of the later movies I thought were underrated if you thought of them as extensions of that movie universe... 

Alien is probably one of my favorite movies of all time... And yes Alien>>>>>>Aliens 

Cats eye from Stephen King freaked me out as a kid f that troll... 

Also Fire in the Sky because it was based on real events but even Travis Walton admitted it was exaggerated 

13 hours ago, hputenis said:

My favorite most recent horror flicks were Hereditary and Midsommar.  That director, Ari Aster, definitely has some screws loose.  I can't wait for his next movie.  

Haven't seen Midsommar but Hereditary was some ish.  Half way though I leaned over to my gf and told her that it was either the worst art house thriller or the best horror movie ever. The way everything was set up was amazing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bill said:

Haven't seen Midsommar but Hereditary was some ish.  Half way though I leaned over to my gf and told her that it was either the worst art house thriller or the best horror movie ever. The way everything was set up was amazing.

Spoiler

I still have nightmares about the creepy girl's head getting chopped off in the car.  That part was awesome!! 

A couple of old, horror movies I watched repeatedly when I was growing up:

-The Gate (Love this movie.  I recently bought it on DVD, and I can't believe how bad it actually is, but I don't care).

-The Wraith (with Charlie Sheen)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, hputenis said:

Any movie where a young Sherilynn Fenn shows her tatas is automatically good.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, The_Omega said:

One of the best in recent times

MV5BMjA5NzQ1NTgwNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjUx

Yeah I still think that's the best western horror movie of the last 30 years.  Globally maybe the original Ring is with it.

• Like 2

Of the classics I still think Texas Chainsaw Massacre and its semi copycat The Hills Have Eyes are way up there on the all time scale.  Early 80's has the trio of Alien, The Thing & Nightmare on elm Street. Evil Dead 1 & 2,  Poltergiest is also some of my all time faves.

The 90's was a dead era for horror.  

Last 20 years there have been some great ones though.  The Descent, The Ring and Babadook are all some of the best I've seen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hputenis said:

-The Gate (Love this movie.  I recently bought it on DVD, and I can't believe how bad it actually is, but I don't care).

I'm so old, I saw both of those in the theater when they were released.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Of the classics I still think Texas Chainsaw Massacre and its semi copycat The Hills Have Eyes are way up there on the all time scale.  Early 80's has the trio of Alien, The Thing & Nightmare on elm Street. Evil Dead 1 & 2,  Poltergiest is also some of my all time faves.

Last 20 years there have been some great ones though.  The Descent, The Ring and Babadook are all some of the best I've seen

From Dusk till Dawn though 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hputenis said:

Speaking of old bad horror. I finally unpacked my DVDs and watched this gem. It was just as awesome as I remember

v1.bTsxMTIwOTU4ODtqOzE4NDg5OzEyMDA7MTUwN

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

The '90's was pretty bad, but there were a couple of decent ones.  Scream comes to mind, and The Blair Witch was a trend setter.

The '80's had some great B movie horror.  Basket Case was a hoot, and I remember this movie scaring the hell out of me.  Of course, I was considerably younger.

91VClbgHaGL._SY445_.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Yeah I still think that's the best western horror movie of the last 30 years.  Globally maybe the original Ring is with it.

Agreed but I would add original Let Me In to the list too

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

From Dusk till Dawn though 

Horror was so out of style in America the 90's that the only decent entries were hybrid movies like action/horror Blade and Dusk til Dawn or comedy horror Scream.  Fun movies but not exactly scary.  Japanime also did a good job of keeping the torch alive.  Even in the first half of the oughties the revival starts overseas with the Koreans, the Japanese, even the Swedish and Spanish.  The Descent is actually a British flick set in America.  28 Days Later also British.

11 hours ago, homerpat said:

Agreed but I would add original Let Me In to the list too

Absolutely a top 5, good call

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dawkins4prez said:

Horror was so out of style in America the 90's that the only decent entries were hybrid movies like action/horror Blade and Dusk til Dawn or comedy horror Scream.  Fun movies but not exactly scary.  Japanime also did a good job of keeping the torch alive.  Even in the first half of the oughties the revival starts overseas with the Koreans, the Japanese, even the Swedish and Spanish.  The Descent is actually a British flick set in America.  28 Days Later also British.

Absolutely a top 5, good call

Forgot about that one. Loved it. 

• Like 1

It: Chapter one was fantastic

The Hills Have Eyes was already mentioned but that's a good one

The Fly

I remember my heart absolutely RACING at the end of Hostel - when the dude was escaping 

Speaking of horror/comedy, I loved "What we do in the Shadows".  Not for everyone but early Taika Waititi mockumentary on life as a vampire.

giphy.gif

LBP4EQc.gif

Censored:

Spoiler

tumblr_o7i2odHHXI1u7nhbbo9_r1_250.gif

• Like 2

On 5/12/2020 at 10:24 AM, hputenis said:
  Hide contents

I still have nightmares about the creepy girl's head getting chopped off in the car.  That part was awesome!! 

Spoiler

her tongue clicking was creepy af :lol:   did they ever explain why she did that?  

• Like 1

I agree with the sentiment that foreign horror was stronger in the 90's than our domestic stuff.  

Some 90's personal favorites aside from some previously mentioned titles:

Misery

Audition

Cure

Addiction

In the Mouth of Madness

Event Horizon

Cemetery Man

New Nightmare

Ravenous

Candyman

• Like 1

Has anyone seen Cannibal Holocaust? I've heard all the folklore but haven't actually seen it. 

On a similar note, I was really excited for Green Inferno. I thought the premise was solid, but Roth did Roth things and ruined it. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:
  Hide contents

her tongue clicking was creepy af :lol:   did they ever explain why she did that?  

Spoiler

I think it had something to do with the demon, Paiman, controlling Charlie.  I don't even know if that's true, but I can't come up with anything else.