Horror Movie Thread

hputenis

25 minutes ago, hputenis said:

My favorite most recent horror flicks were Hereditary and Midsommar.  That director, Ari Aster, definitely has some screws loose.  I can't wait for his next movie.  

I like both of those a lot also. Was going to include them but figured you had already seen or at least heard of them.  Same with It Follows.

Since you like 70's and 80's slashers, some I'd suggest:

The Burning

The Funhouse

My Bloody Valentine

Prom Night

Slumber Party Massacre

Torso

Bay of Blood

Terror Train

The Prowler

Mother's Day

Black Christmas (74)

Maniac (original and remake are both really good)

Pieces

Tourist Trap

Fright (71)

House on the Edge of the Park

April Fools Day

Sleepaway Camp (if you don't already know the ending to this, do not google it)

Some are legit creepy and others are just insanely weird/fun to watch but they're all worth your time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Any of the Sleepaway Camps are good campy watches if you want to watch something that doesn't take itself seriously. Same with Thankskilling, both are better with an added drink/smoke.

It Follows, The Ritual, Hush, Creep, Backcountry, Emelie, The Void are all pretty good ones that I haven't seen listed. 

Sci-fi Horrorish movies I liked are 10 Cloverfield Lane, Annihilation, Predators, The Fourth Kind and the classics like Alien, Aliens, Predator. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hputenis said:

My favorite most recent horror flicks were Hereditary and Midsommar.  That director, Ari Aster, definitely has some screws loose.  I can't wait for his next movie.  

i really enjoyed hereditary...misommar was just okay, imo. 

one of my favorite old movies is the hitcher. ..it made me a rutger hauer fan. 

• Like 2

I heard about all the hype of Misommar before watching it, so I was generally letdown. Mostly my fault for expecting too much.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

i really enjoyed hereditary...misommar was just okay, imo. 

one of my favorite old movies is the hitcher. ..it made me a rutger hauer fan. 

I don't think I've seen that version.  I've seen the one with Ned Stark though and it was decent.  

20 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I heard about all the hype of Misommar before watching it, so I was generally letdown. Mostly my fault for expecting too much.

I'm a sucker for movies where the plot is about cults, mainly because they totally freak me out.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

wish i had watched midsommar before i watched hereditary......hereditary had my expectations way up.  both are worth watching though, imo. 

4 minutes ago, hputenis said:

I don't think I've seen that version.  I've seen the one with Ned Stark though and it was decent.  

you definitely need to watch the original...all the remakes have sucked. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Any of the Sleepaway Camps are good campy watches if you want to watch something that doesn't take itself seriously. Same with Thankskilling, both are better with an added drink/smoke.

It Follows, The Ritual, Hush, Creep, Backcountry, Emelie, The Void are all pretty good ones that I haven't seen listed. 

Sci-fi Horrorish movies I liked are 10 Cloverfield Lane, Annihilation, Predators, The Fourth Kind and the classics like Alien, Aliens, Predator. 

Backcountry

Spoiler

the bear scene was shockingly brutal - totally wasn't expecting it to be that graphic

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I thought Creep was surprisingly awesome.  I didn't think I could get past the main actor from "the League" but he played a great creep.  

2 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

was Hush the one with the deaf chick in the woods?

1 minute ago, Agent23 said:

was Hush the one with the deaf chick in the woods?

Yup.

Just now, Shepard Wong said:

Yup.

I watched that late one night while on vacation in San Diego. I recall the premise being awesome, but unfortunately following the trope of killer has to toy with his prey instead of taking the easy kill. 

1 hour ago, mikemack8 said:

Backcountry

Hide contents

the bear scene was shockingly brutal - totally wasn't expecting it to be that graphic

Yup. I just so happened to watch it while vacationing in Yellowstone too

5 hours ago, DEagle7 said:

Can't exactly call this a good movie, but I still love it

EvilDead_2019.jpg

That's because it's a great movie.  The Evil Dead series is the perfect mix of horror, comedy, Oldsmobiles, and WTF?  It only gets better when you get the disc and listen to the commentaries.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mlodj said:

That's because it's a great movie.  The Evil Dead series is the perfect mix of horror, comedy, Oldsmobiles, and WTF?  It only gets better when you get the disc and listen to the commentaries.

Hmmmm...noted.  Might have to be my new binge. I've watched em all including the remake and Ash vs the Evil dead TV series, but don't think I've seen the commentary.

8 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

Hmmmm...noted.  Might have to be my new binge. I've watched em all including the remake and Ash vs the Evil dead TV series, but don't think I've seen the commentary.

The commentaries on the discs are hilarious.  It's Raimi and Campbell riffing/reminiscing.

• Like 1

In the "I don't get no respect" category.  People get inured to or forget older movies.  The three movies that stand out to me now that absolutely scared the sheet out of people at the time. 

Jaws.  I saw it two weeks after it came out.  It was one of the two movies I've ever seen where the director absolutely owned the audience and could do whatever he wanted.  If you're not old enough to remember, the book became a phenomenon and everybody was expecting them to basically take the dollars and run and just transfer the book to film.  They didn't.  They made it into a movie masterpiece by getting rid of the book's extraneous BS and cutting to the chase.  One scare after another till everybody in the movie theatre got up and clapped and screamed when the shark blew up.

The Omen.  Another book that was popular and "everybody" had read before seeing the movie.  This time they didn't massively change it.  They just amped up the good v bad, the soundtrack, and the occasional non-gory gore (impaling and decapitation) to scare the sheet out of everybody.  Memorable moment, the nanny jumps on Dad doing the 666 haircut.  My date went screaming into the seat in front of her, and no my hands were not where they shouldn't have been.  The subsequent chain reaction was hilarious.

Alien.  Post Star Wars and everybody thought the future universe was shiny happy people, robots, and aliens.  They crapped all over that paradigm from beginning to end.  Saw this after it had been out for a month, so I knew it was going to be dark from word of mouth.  Holy sheet, dark was not the word. Memorable moment number one.  The opening starts and the film literally breaks, so the theatre manager comes down and announces refunds or credits. Fast forward a day.  Memorable moment number two:  The chest burster.  Nuff said.

• Like 4

Poltergeist and the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre were great.  Tobe Hooper made some great movies, then some truly awful ones.

13 minutes ago, Mlodj said:

In the "I don't get no respect" category.  People get inured to or forget older movies.  The three movies that stand out to me now that absolutely scared the sheet out of people at the time. 

Jaws.  I saw it two weeks after it came out.  It was one of the two movies I've ever seen where the director absolutely owned the audience and could do whatever he wanted.  If you're not old enough to remember, the book became a phenomenon and everybody was expecting them to basically take the dollars and run and just transfer the book to film.  They didn't.  They made it into a movie masterpiece by getting rid of the book's extraneous BS and cutting to the chase.  One scare after another till everybody in the movie theatre got up and clapped and screamed when the shark blew up.

The Omen.  Another book that was popular and "everybody" had read before seeing the movie.  This time they didn't massively change it.  They just amped up the good v bad, the soundtrack, and the occasional non-gory gore (impaling and decapitation) to scare the sheet out of everybody.  Memorable moment, the nanny jumps on Dad doing the 666 haircut.  My date went screaming into the seat in front of her, and no my hands were not where they shouldn't have been.  The subsequent chain reaction was hilarious.

Alien.  Post Star Wars and everybody thought the future universe was shiny happy people, robots, and aliens.  They crapped all over that paradigm from beginning to end.  Saw this after it had been out for a month, so I knew it was going to be dark from word of mouth.  Holy sheet, dark was not the word. Memorable moment number one.  The opening starts and the film literally breaks, so the theatre manager comes down and announces refunds or credits. Fast forward a day.  Memorable moment number two:  The chest burster.  Nuff said.

3 all time greats

2 minutes ago, Shepard Wong said:

Not a big Monkey Shines guy, Omega?

The Mangler has to be one of the worst movies ever made.

10 minutes ago, The_Omega said:

Poltergeist and the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre were great.  Tobe Hooper made some great movies, then some truly awful ones.

Not a big Spontaneous Combustion fan, Omega?

1 minute ago, The_Omega said:

The Mangler has to be one of the worst movies ever made.

I brain farted Romero and Hooper.  I know people that genuinely love the Mangler.  It's been forever since I saw it but I wasn't a fan then.

• Like 1

I think it was Netflix but just watched Stephanie over the weekend. It was ok, worth a watch. I guess its classified as a Horror. 

Twist is in the spoiler

Spoiler

It's basically a spin on Village of the Damned, another pretty good Horror movie back in the day.

6 hours ago, hputenis said:

Those 2 movies were excellent. Another good movie is Train to Busan. One of the better zombie movies made.

• Like 3

The strangers was the last really good one I can remember seeing. The sequel sucked. 

I just watched one on Netflix the other night with cm punk (the wwe guy) in it. It was really bad. Someone mentioned the changing and the plot started kind of like that but went downhill fast. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gannan said:

The strangers was the last really good one I can remember seeing. The sequel sucked. 

I just watched one on Netflix the other night with cm punk (the wwe guy) in it. It was really bad. Someone mentioned the changing and the plot started kind of like that but went downhill fast. 

Loved Strangers. Tension from start to finish. 

There are so many horrendous horror movies that have been made it’s always a gamble to click on a random one on Netflix or Amazon Prime.  Some of the ones on Prime....holy ish....I can’t believe they were ever made.