Official WWE/AEW Thread

BDawk_ASamuel

54 minutes ago, Captain F said:

It was the WWE and it's legends bringing the bloodline to an end.  The bloodline had taken over the WWE sine the pandemic.  A new start with HHH running the show.  A return to WWE. 

Ah OK. That goes to show that I don’t watch it and haven’t followed so I’ve missed that context. Still feels like a bit of a service to the fans… Taker wasn’t ever the kind of character to care about that. Stone Cold would have made more sense.

• Like 1

Watching the whole thing it was clear that this was the first ever Wrestlemania with Vince gone and I mean that in a good way. There was a much bigger emphasis on long term effective story telling and less reliance on stupid gimmicks. Seeing the press conferences after it seemed like all the performers were really happy HHH was in charge and that the company was headed in a new direction. It was probably the best WM main event ever. I thought right up until the end that RR would win again. Fwiw, I heard they wanted Stone Cold to appear but he refused. He just didn't want to for whatever reason. 

Another great moment, and great story telling was Priest cashing in on Drew McIntyre. Drew McIntyre kept saying Rollins wasn't focused on the title and was too focused on the blood line, but it was clear that he was obsessed with CM Punk more than anything else, and it ended up costing him the title. It was just brilliant. The judgement day are a heel faction but they seem to break kayfabe all the time, and are just really good friends. Priest was very humble in his press conference and talked about keeping the tradition that Rollins started about being a working mans champion.

Excited to see all the new directions they take the WWE in post Vince. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Gannan said:

Watching the whole thing it was clear that this was the first ever Wrestlemania with Vince gone and I mean that in a good way. There was a much bigger emphasis on long term effective story telling and less reliance on stupid gimmicks. Seeing the press conferences after it seemed like all the performers were really happy HHH was in charge and that the company was headed in a new direction. It was probably the best WM main event ever. I thought right up until the end that RR would win again. Fwiw, I heard they wanted Stone Cold to appear but he refused. He just didn't want to for whatever reason. 

Another great moment, and great story telling was Priest cashing in on Drew McIntyre. Drew McIntyre kept saying Rollins wasn't focused on the title and was too focused on the blood line, but it was clear that he was obsessed with CM Punk more than anything else, and it ended up costing him the title. It was just brilliant. The judgement day are a heel faction but they seem to break kayfabe all the time, and are just really good friends. Priest was very humble in his press conference and talked about keeping the tradition that Rollins started about being a working mans champion.

Excited to see all the new directions they take the WWE in post Vince. 

They do a good job of blurring the lines of kayfabe/storyline and real life in the press conferences. It’s cool how they give them the freedom to talk as the performer instead of the character at times in those. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BDawk_ASamuel said:

They do a good job of blurring the lines of kayfabe/storyline and real life in the press conferences. It’s cool how they give them the freedom to talk as the performer instead of the character at times in those. 

Agreed. I also like all the behind the scenes stuff that exists now as opposed when it was a "protect the business at all costs" thing in the 70's and 80's. 

• Like 1

Oh and I could I forget to mention Rollins' Mummers entrance. That was awesome :D

12 hours ago, BDawk_ASamuel said:

The last 10 minutes of that match was just incredible. Roman hitting Seth with the chair instead of Cody because he was still scarred and scorned from what Rollins did 10 years ago and it ended up costing him the match and his title. Rollins always had the edge over Reigns and he did it again costing him. Rollins is the mastermind and the architect and really the only person who wrecked Reigns mentally. That’s long term booking at its finest. I thought Seth should have always been the one to de-throne Roman, but that was just as good. 

I’m curious why Austin didn’t show. That slot with Taker was tailor made for a glass-shattering entrance for him to take The Rock out one last time instead. That was probably my only issue with the match. 

9 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Initial reaction is… Build up and storyline were really good. Rock going heel was a cool change up. I don’t watch wwe anymore but have seen the clips on social media and it seemed good. 

But the end result? And the way it all went down? Messy I’d say. Why was Taker involved? There was no reason or logic to that other than it was cool.

I think Austin might have been too big and overshadowed Cody's win. 

Taker actually makes a ton of sense in this story, more than Austin IMO. If it was Austin, the only connection is "he was Rocks rival over 20 years ago". He has no real reason to be helping Cody or screwing Roman. I think that would be more "it's just cool" without adding to the story. 

Then you have Undertaker. The last time Undertaker had a real match (not counting the impromptu Cena match or the movie with Styles) at WM was the main event against, Roman Reigns. After being only the 2nd guy in history to beat Taker at WM, Reigns started his "this is my yard now" and Big Dog arc which eventually led to the Bloodline. On top of that, you have The Rock saying he's the Final Boss over and over when WM always had the one Final Boss, The Undertaker. 

I'm pretty sure it's also against the rules to have Austin appear and not have a beer bath to cap the appearance, which just wouldn't work at all here. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

overshadowed Cody's win. 

Unpopular opinion but I’m really good with that. I don’t follow wrestling anymore other than social media stuff but I don’t like Cody and think he’s a poor champion. They needed the Rock and this storyline to give him more weight and gravitas. I think he’s one of the weakest champions they’ve had but that’s just my opinion and a limited one.

53 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Unpopular opinion but I’m really good with that. I don’t follow wrestling anymore other than social media stuff but I don’t like Cody and think he’s a poor champion. They needed the Rock and this storyline to give him more weight and gravitas. I think he’s one of the weakest champions they’ve had but that’s just my opinion and a limited one.

It's a fair opinion. It's just that last night was the ending to a story they directly have been telling for over 2 years, and indirectly goes back to Cody's first run in WWE before he left and even his fathers career. It had to be about him, it just wouldn't make much sense any other way. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

A part of me wanted them to keep the belt on Reigns because of how incredible his run and storyline has been the past four years. But it felt like they milked every ounce of it and had to have the payoff after not putting it on Cody last year. Reigns has carried this company through the COVID era, with leukemia, had one of the greatest runs in the modern era, and really deserves a break until the Summerslam program kicks up in a couple of months. He's earned it.

As far as Cody as a champion, I think he's fine. They haven't really had a "pure" babyface champion in a while and that's what Cody is. Part of me does wonder how long his aura will last before it becomes stale. He has big shoes to fill after Reigns' run and I'm curious what direction they go. 

1 hour ago, BDawk_ASamuel said:

A part of me wanted them to keep the belt on Reigns because of how incredible his run and storyline has been the past four years. But it felt like they milked every ounce of it and had to have the payoff after not putting it on Cody last year. Reigns has carried this company through the COVID era, with leukemia, had one of the greatest runs in the modern era, and really deserves a break until the Summerslam program kicks up in a couple of months. He's earned it.

As far as Cody as a champion, I think he's fine. They haven't really had a "pure" babyface champion in a while and that's what Cody is. Part of me does wonder how long his aura will last before it becomes stale. He has big shoes to fill after Reigns' run and I'm curious what direction they go. 

I think he loses it before the end of the year or at royal rumble. 

If they can find a way to work in a 3 way angle of Rollins vs reigns vs Cody all wanting the title that would be good. A you couldn’t win it without me from Rollins, a you couldn’t beat me with the entire world helping from Reigns, and a me against the world from Cody i think could be good. 

This dick sucking already makes me hate him lol

Nepo baby lol

Makes me think it's almost intentional.... 

Like they're setting up a heel turn 

9 hours ago, BDawk_ASamuel said:

As far as Cody as a champion, I think he's fine.

I grew up as a fan during the attitude era so in my opinion I remember the good old days where they were spoilt for choice of champions. If Cody was in that era he’d have been an intercontinental champion at best. So I think he’s a weak champion but I also think that’s where the WWE is at.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don’t follow wrestling anymore other than social media stuff but I don’t like Cody and think he’s a poor champion. 

The second part of your sentence is explained by the first part. If you don't follow it, you wouldn't have the slightest clue about what kind of champion he is. 

I think he's the best pure baby face since Hogan in the 80's.m Maybe Brett Hart in the 90's. I think the WWE has done a good job of bringing back the pure baby face with guys like Cody Rhodes and Sami Zayn. 

13 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

Makes me think it's almost intentional.... 

Like they're setting up a heel turn 

Let go of the attitude era dude. 

Bloodline reformed. Uso out.  Toma in.  Reigns........ out?

I'm guessing RR doesn't appear again until at least Summer Slam, so we'll see where the story is then. 

It looks like they're bringing the Wyatt Family back with Matt Hardy. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

joe gacy from nxt would fit as the 6th member. 

20 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

That's awesome. Matt Hardy is one of my favorites of all time. It would be great to see him back with a Wyatt family faction.