The Sopranos

BirdsFanBill

Started watching season 1 of this a few days ago. So far I'm enjoying it, seems like it has potential. Anyone else see this? It's on the Home Box Office channel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Gannan said:

I’ve been rewatching.

This is actually my first watch. Def enjoying it.

• Like 1

Oh, you're in for a treat.  

btw

giphy (8).gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

One of my favorite all time shows. Some incredible performances. Love the dynamic between Tony and Dr. Melfi.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Never watched it - thinking about trying it.  Would love to say I watched both it and The Wire, but damn it feels like such an undertaking to get through them both :lol: 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

Never watched it - thinking about trying it.  Would love to say I watched both it and The Wire, but damn it feels like such an undertaking to get through them both :lol: 

Agree, just gotta get started though. Then they fly by faster than you think.

37 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

Never watched The Wire and don't care to 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Mike030270 said:

Never watched The Wire and don't care to 🤷‍♂️

Why?

14 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

Why?

Not big on cop shows. I feel there's way too many

• Like 1

It's a good show.  Great acting.  It's more drama focused on acting performances and the character dynamics than a lot of action.  I binged it on HBO Now a couple years ago, some parts were slow and tough to get through.

I liked the ending, but I had also already knew the ending because it was spoiled online and everyone talking about it at the time.

2 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

I have watched The Soprano's at least 10 times all the way through.  And if there is nothing on, there are countless episodes I can watch over and over again.

I tried to talk the wife into this a couple of weeks ago - but she said no - so I guess it'll be a while until we might start watching it...

1 minute ago, sameaglesfan said:

I tried to talk the wife into this a couple of weeks ago - but she said no - so I guess it'll be a while until we might start watching it...

Dude, she will like it.  My wife has probably watched it 5 of the 10 times I have watched all the way through.  And she has no problem watching an episode if nothing else is on.

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

Dude, she will like it.  My wife has probably watched it 5 of the 10 times I have watched all the way through.  And she has no problem watching an episode if nothing else is on.

I'll sneak it on when she's distracted to get her hooked probably...

I'm currently on season 3 my first time through, and I am struggggling to get through this show.  I don't know if it's the lack of action, the directing, but I can't figure it out.  I'm a huge fan of mafia movies, and I thought I would be hooked.  

1 hour ago, Mike030270 said:

Not big on cop shows. I feel there's way too many

Me neither.... And The Wire makes the rest look even worse after you watch it. 

It's more of a social commentary than a cop show, and it's my favorite TV show of all time. 

Multiple friends of mine who work as cops or are in City politics say it is the most realistic, by far 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I finally saw The Wire this past winter.  It was good.  But not on the level of The Sopranos.  I honestly don't understand how a lot of "experts" have it pegged as the best drama show of all time.  The Sopranos is just on another level.  Standout individual performances by an ensemble cast is hard to do.  They nailed every casting decision on that show.  The evolution of some characters is what makes it great.  Tony, Christopher, Carmella stand out.  All the other supporting characters.  With a few exceptions.  

The only show I would put on The Soprano's level is Justified.  I highly recommend it.  It is currently on Hulu.

5 minutes ago, downundermike said:

The only show I would put on The Soprano's level is Justified.  I highly recommend it.  It is currently on Hulu.

Walton Goggins was great in that show. It was amazing seeing him in Justified since before that he was in Sons of Anarchy as a drag queen. Sons of Anarchy was also a great show IMO.

18 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Walton Goggins was great in that show. It was amazing seeing him in Justified since before that he was in Sons of Anarchy as a drag queen. Sons of Anarchy was also a great show IMO.

Justified | CycloneFanatic: The Internet's most popular site for ...

Just now, downundermike said:

Justified | CycloneFanatic: The Internet's most popular site for ...

Yea I don't know if he's won awards for that show but he definitely should have

2 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

Me neither.... And The Wire makes the rest look even worse after you watch it. 

It's more of a social commentary than a cop show, and it's my favorite TV show of all time. 

Multiple friends of mine who work as cops or are in City politics say it is the most realistic, by far 

2 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I finally saw The Wire this past winter.  It was good.  But not on the level of The Sopranos.  I honestly don't understand how a lot of "experts" have it pegged as the best drama show of all time.  The Sopranos is just on another level.  Standout individual performances by an ensemble cast is hard to do.  They nailed every casting decision on that show.  The evolution of some characters is what makes it great.  Tony, Christopher, Carmella stand out.  All the other supporting characters.  With a few exceptions.  

These things can be very subjective.  I liked the Sopranos but not as much as others.  I think it's way overhyped.  To me it's very boring in spots and I love mob movies.

So many people said The Wire is the best show ever and it was also way overhyped.  I watched season 1 and didn't see anything too special about it.  It's different in the sense of covering a case the whole season and shows the different branches of law enforcement.  It's like a grittier Law & Order with one case the whole season.  I watched a few episodes of season 2 but got bored and watched something else.  

3 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

The Wire is a lot more than a grittier Law & Order.  The acting on Law & Order is atrocious.   Odd comparison.  

Not comparing the acting.  The thing people always say about The Wire is that it's not just a cop show or a case of the week, but it shows all the aspects of law enforcement.  That was the thing about Law & Order, that the first half was the cops and the 2nd half the lawyers.  This takes it further where it's the politics of the city government, the task force, etc. and follows one case through the season.