The Sopranos

BirdsFanBill

it was an average movie. not bad, and certainly not  great. Before I watched it, watched and read reviews, some were claiming it was "woke". I can see why, but it wasn't jammed down our throats like I thought it was going to be. so that was cool. I didnt mind it. 

18 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

Didn't see it yet but general consensus from people I know who did say that it felt rushed and would have been better as a miniseries 

It definitely needed more runtime. 

On 10/2/2021 at 10:19 PM, NOTW said:

Vera Farmiga (playing Tony's Mom) is doing an impression of Tony's wife Carmela (Edie Falco). The fake nose adds to it, she looks more like Carmela than his Mom.

Making it seem Tony married someone just like his Mom. I don't recall, did that come up in Tony's therapy? 

No, and I didn't see that at all. She was exactly like Livia down to the "poor you".

Carmella was a loving mother. Livia was a self absorbed "see you next Tuesday". No way Livia would ever use a ragot pie to try to get Tony into  good college :lol:

11 minutes ago, Gannan said:

No, and I didn't see that at all. She was exactly like Livia down to the "poor you".

Carmella was a loving mother. Livia was a self absorbed "see you next Tuesday". No way Livia would ever use a ragot pie to try to get Tony into  good college :lol:

Her accent, phrasing, facial expressions and tone were like watching an impression of Edie Falco.  Not plot-wise what she did, but her voice.

I liked the movie more than a lot of other people seem to have.  Looks like it was to setup another, young adult Tony, movie, which I'm fine with.  One part that bugged me a little bit, the shootout on the street, Dickie and Johnny were left out there, then Dickie runs inside the club, but Johnny just kind of disappeared from the scene.  Kept waiting for him to come up behind Harold, but he never did.  

1 hour ago, Gannan said:

My interest in the series was always the gangster element.  Without the gangster element, that series doesn't last one season.  I thought it fell flat when there was too much focus on Livia and Melfi.  I know many disagree, but that's the way I saw it.

38 minutes ago, Gannan said:

Here's all the randos on twitter that agree with me :lol:

Just saying it's not like I'm crazy, other people saw it too.

26 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I don't think you're crazy, I just don't see their character traits as similar. I think Livia as Tony put it "Wore Johnny down to a nub". I think Carmella would have been a good wife and was a good mom, but it was Tony that wore her down.  I think Livia manifests herself in Tony from time to time and he realizes it and was always fighting it. Anyway, one of the things that makes the show interesting. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gannan said:

I don't think you're crazy, I just don't see their character traits as similar. I think Livia as Tony put it "Wore Johnny down to a nub". I think Carmella would have been a good wife and was a good mom, but it was Tony that wore her down.  I think Livia manifests herself in Tony from time to time and he realizes it and was always fighting it. Anyway, one of the things that makes the show interesting. 

You do realize you're opining on a TV show that's purely fictitious.  I say this because I've seen videos on Youtube going into deep analysis of motives, etc. regarding characters and outcomes that have no basis in reality. 

2 hours ago, Procus said:

You do realize you're opining on a TV show that's purely fictitious.  I say this because I've seen videos on Youtube going into deep analysis of motives, etc. regarding characters and outcomes that have no basis in reality. 

Well since this is a thread dedicated to that very show, this does seem like the place to do that, no?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Procus said:

You do realize you're opining on a TV show that's purely fictitious.  

its-still.gif

• Haha 5

Yeah I thought Farmiga did a decent job of capturing the essence of Livia. Same with the guy who played Junior. Not great, but good enough. I didn't really see the crossover with Carmela though beyond the accent. Totally different personalities otherwise.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NOTW said:

image.gif

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Procus said:

My interest in the series was always the gangster element.  Without the gangster element, that series doesn't last one season.  I thought it fell flat when there was too much focus on Livia and Melfi.  I know many disagree, but that's the way I saw it.

What about Janice??

7 hours ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Yeah I thought Farmiga did a decent job of capturing the essence of Livia. Same with the guy who played Junior.

I thought Corey Stoll's performance as Junior was flat.  He was more of just a klutzy goofy guy in the movie.  In the series, Junior was a mean SOB, and that didn't come through in the actor's portrayal of him in the film.

I thought Stoll's inflection and mannerisms were spot on, and I generally don't care for him as an actor.  Seems like the fall and resulting chronic back pain were a key moment that helped turn him into the mean SOB that he became.

17 minutes ago, The_Omega said:

I thought Stoll's inflection and mannerisms were spot on, and I generally don't care for him as an actor.  Seems like the fall and resulting chronic back pain were a key moment that helped turn him into the mean SOB that he became.

Spoiler

I am curious where the cop killed Dickie angle came from that was used in the show.  Seems like there was a lot of info on the cop that Christopher then killed.  Hard to put such a complex story together if Junior is the only one with knowledge that he put the hit out on Dickie.

1 minute ago, downundermike said:
  Hide contents

I am curious where the cop killed Dickie angle came from that was used in the show.  Seems like there was a lot of info on the cop that Christopher then killed.  Hard to put such a complex story together if Junior is the only one with knowledge that he put the hit out on Dickie.

Spoiler

Seems like Chase is either implying Christopher was manipulated and purposefully fed a false story from the beginning. Or rather, that nobody actually knew the full truth at the time and everyone made enough assumptions until the cop angle became the truth to them. Or I suppose both could be partly true if the guy who junior used was a cop himself.

Either way though, I personally find it to be a bit of a stretch that Junior was so enraged by Dickie laughing at him that he'd resort to that though. The narrative justification for that was really lacking. They should've spent more time on the building animosity between them that drove him to that point rather than a single, fairly trivial, incident. I felt the same way when Dickie killed his dad. Usually a director works up to those moments and lays the groundwork for those scenes to be the climax of its own sub plot. Here Chase just throws them in and expects us to nod along without much effort on his part.

26 minutes ago, downundermike said:
  Reveal hidden contents

If I recall correctly, and, admittedly, it's been a long time since I watched that episode, but it seemed like even Christopher

Spoiler

didn't really believe that that cop killed Dickie.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Hide contents

Seems like Chase is either implying Christopher was manipulated and purposefully fed a false story from the beginning. Or rather, that nobody actually knew the full truth at the time and everyone made enough assumptions until the cop angle became the truth to them. Or I suppose both could be partly true if the guy who junior used was a cop himself.

Either way though, I personally find it to be a bit of a stretch that Junior was so enraged by Dickie laughing at him that he'd resort to that though. The narrative justification for that was really lacking. They should've spent more time on the building animosity between them that drove him to that point rather than a single, fairly trivial, incident. I felt the same way when Dickie killed his dad. Usually a director works up to those moments and lays the groundwork for those scenes to be the climax of its own sub plot. Here Chase just throws them in and expects us to nod along without much effort on his part.

I originally thought that too but...

Spoiler

Junior is half senile but all psycho. He wanted to kill his own nephew just for seeing a shrink. Throughout the series he was petty, vindictive and without morals or scruples. I mean even Tony had some morals. Junior had zero. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, The_Omega said:

If I recall correctly, and, admittedly, it's been a long time since I watched that episode, but it seemed like even Christopher

Hide contents

didn't really believe that that cop killed Dickie.

Agreed

Spoiler

He says something to the effect of 

It doesn't really matter. He wants you dead. 

• Like 2