The Sopranos

BirdsFanBill

8 minutes ago, Gannan said:

I originally thought that too but...

Hide contents

Junior is half senile but all psycho. He wanted to kill his own nephew just for seeing a shrink. Throughout the series he was petty, vindictive and without morals or scruples. I mean even Tony had some morals. Junior had zero. 

Right, but I personally wanted to see how he got to be that way. My hope was for the prequel to further develop backstories and explain the genesis of these characters, not just reiterate what we already knew.

• Like 1

Not sure if this has been posted, but if so, then what we saw in the movie makes a lot more sense. Excited to see what else is in store rather than just the appetizer we were given.

'The Sopranos' Creator David Chase Signs HBO Deal, Signaling Spinoffs for 'The Many Saints of Newark'

https://popculture.com/tv-shows/news/the-sopranos-creator-david-chase-signs-hbo-deal-signaling-spinoffs-the-many-saints-of-newark/

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Not sure if this has been posted, but if so, then what we saw in the movie makes a lot more sense. Excited to see what else is in store rather than just the appetizer we were given.

'The Sopranos' Creator David Chase Signs HBO Deal, Signaling Spinoffs for 'The Many Saints of Newark'

https://popculture.com/tv-shows/news/the-sopranos-creator-david-chase-signs-hbo-deal-signaling-spinoffs-the-many-saints-of-newark/

Spoiler

They also clearly left it open for sequels, especially showing Harold McBrayer during the credits with the big cash roll

Just watched Many Saints of Newark. It’s good. I am ready for a wave of mobster movies and series. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

We saw it in the theatre because we (my wife) wanted to get out of the house and see a movie in the theatre.  I think the last one we went to see was "The Revenant".  We get to the theatre, the night the movie opened and the parking lot was packed.  The lobby was packed but mostly a different demographic you would think would be interested in The Sopranos.  I was kicking myself for not buying tickets online earlier.  We walk into our theatre 10 mins before show time and there was 2 people in there before us.  Turns out that most of the people were either there for The Adams Family or Venom.....:roll:  Thank God for that.  

Same for us last Friday.  I think there was 5 couples and us, 12 total.  

1 hour ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I had a feeling they were going to need to have other movies.  It's nice to see this.  With the House of Dragon coming out in Jan.  HBO is sucking me back in again.  

F83D5804-9BD7-4E85-9D58-E274B6201239.gif

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

We saw it in the theatre because we (my wife) wanted to get out of the house and see a movie in the theatre.  I think the last one we went to see was "The Revenant".  We get to the theatre, the night the movie opened and the parking lot was packed.  The lobby was packed but mostly a different demographic you would think would be interested in The Sopranos.  I was kicking myself for not buying tickets online earlier.  We walk into our theatre 10 mins before show time and there was 2 people in there before us.  Turns out that most of the people were either there for The Adams Family or Venom.....:roll:  Thank God for that.  

Get the feeling most times I go to a movie that people have no idea what kind of movie.they walked into lol. 

On 10/5/2021 at 11:56 AM, we_gotta_believe said:

Right, but I personally wanted to see how he got to be that way. My hope was for the prequel to further develop backstories and explain the genesis of these characters, not just reiterate what we already knew.

The purpose of the prequel was to cash in on the Sopranos franchise.  It starts and ends with that.

7 hours ago, Procus said:

The purpose of the prequel was to cash in on the Sopranos franchise.  It starts and ends with that.

Meh, it wasn't that bad, there are worse ways to spend 2 hours. It was the best TV show of all time, so he has earned a little leeway as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Meh, it wasn't that bad, there are worse ways to spend 2 hours. It was the best TV show of all time, so he has earned a little leeway as far as I'm concerned.

Procus is probably mad they didn’t have a storyline about the impact of Polio on the mob.

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

Procus is probably mad they didn’t have a storyline about the impact of Polio on the mob.

:roll:

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

Are you always such a miserable d*o*u*c*h*e, or is just on the boards?  You throw out insults to fellow members like they're candy, and you're no rocket scientist yourself by any stretch of the matter.

:roll:  :roll:  :roll:

3 minutes ago, Procus said:

Are you always such a miserable d*o*u*c*h*e, or is just on the boards?  You throw out insults to fellow members like they're candy, and you're no rocket scientist yourself by any stretch of the matter.

Good god man, it's a bunch of dudes on a football message board, breaking balls.  Do you cry when people break balls in person ??

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

Good god man, it's a bunch of dudes on a football message board, breaking balls.  Do you cry when people break balls in person ??

Just checking - good response BTW  😁

3 minutes ago, Procus said:

Just checking - good response BTW  😁

I mean, I am gonna need an iron lung if I keep laughing this hard at you.

Just now, downundermike said:

I mean, I am gonna need an iron lung if I keep laughing this hard at you.

I see introspection and self awareness are definitely not your strong points.  :roll:

1 hour ago, Procus said:

Feelings are funny. You must be an emotional wreck lol

On 10/5/2021 at 10:04 AM, we_gotta_believe said:

Reveal hidden contents

Seems like Chase is either implying Christopher was manipulated and purposefully fed a false story from the beginning. Or rather, that nobody actually knew the full truth at the time and everyone made enough assumptions until the cop angle became the truth to them. Or I suppose both could be partly true if the guy who junior used was a cop himself.

Either way though, I personally find it to be a bit of a stretch that Junior was so enraged by Dickie laughing at him that he'd resort to that though. The narrative justification for that was really lacking. They should've spent more time on the building animosity between them that drove him to that point rather than a single, fairly trivial, incident. I felt the same way when Dickie killed his dad. Usually a director works up to those moments and lays the groundwork for those scenes to be the climax of its own sub plot. Here Chase just throws them in and expects us to nod along without much effort on his part.

Spoiler

i think it had more to do with when Junior picked up Johnny Boy from his stint in the can and Johnny Boy was grilling him about how he needs to be more like Dickie and Dickie was taking care of the crew. Jealousy/Envy is a muthaFa.

• Like 2

They definitely used young Tony in the trailers to pull you in. This was a movie about Dickie and not a movie about young Tony

On 10/8/2021 at 8:48 AM, downundermike said:

Let me tell you a thing or two sonny boy, Michael Franzese absolutely trashed the movie.  I think he knows a thing or two more about mob movies than you do.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...