The Sopranos

BirdsFanBill

9 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I must be thinking of a different Law & Order.  I’m thinking of SVU my wife watches after work everyday.   The acting is atrocious.  The show itself isn’t very good.  CSI knock off.  

SVU is a version of L&O.  Again, never said the acting was the same, I'm talking about the premise.  And I didn't say it was the same, I said it's "like" Law & Order in the sense of not JUST being about the cops, and a grittier version.

Each season of the wire is like a different show. Seasons 1 and 4 were awesome. The others kind of meh.

13 minutes ago, Prime said:

"The guy's an interior decorator"

"His place looked like ish"

Yep.  That is the go to episode.  

paulie walnuts | Tumblr

The Sopranos GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

19 hours ago, NOTW said:

These things can be very subjective.  I liked the Sopranos but not as much as others.  I think it's way overhyped.  To me it's very boring in spots and I love mob movies.

So many people said The Wire is the best show ever and it was also way overhyped.  I watched season 1 and didn't see anything too special about it.  It's different in the sense of covering a case the whole season and shows the different branches of law enforcement.  It's like a grittier Law & Order with one case the whole season.  I watched a few episodes of season 2 but got bored and watched something else.  

Season 4 of The Wire is the best season of TV.  Hands down.  

On 5/14/2020 at 1:59 PM, Mike030270 said:

Not big on cop shows. I feel there's way too many

The Wire is much more than a cop show. Basically every season looks at Baltimore through the lens of a different group (cops, union dock workers, street kids, the press, etc)

Definitely one of the all time great TV shows and a sobering social commentary.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 6:25 PM, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I must be thinking of a different Law & Order.  I’m thinking of SVU my wife watches after work everyday.   The acting is atrocious.  The show itself isn’t very good.  CSI knock off.  

The original Law and Order had Jerry Orbach and Sam Waterson, but that was like 30 years ago now.

10 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

Season 4 of The Wire is the best season of TV.  Hands down.  

Season 2 of Justified disagrees

Maybe 9 episodes into season 1 now. Show is great. The characters really are what seem to make the show. 

When I can't find something I really want to watch, I think "I'll just rewatch an episode of the sopranos".  I'm on season 3 already. There's so many shows streaming but very few of them hold my attention. 

• 3 weeks later...

Started season 3 last night. Still very enjoyable. I'd say at the end of season 2 there was some lull, but not too bad. At first I loved the therapist but honestly now Im kind of tired of her. Didn't see her in ep 1 of season 3. 

Loved the scene with Paul and Sil arguing about the hand washing. Tony's line at the end to Philly's twin "If you want to commit suicide, tie your shoes and then have some braciole" was hilarious. The show has a way of just making their conversations great.

• Like 2

Junior Soprano is the most underrated TV character of all time. 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 9:53 AM, BirdsFanBill said:

Maybe 9 episodes into season 1 now. Show is great. The characters really are what seem to make the show. 

The Home Box Office Channel has many good programs

• Like 2

A few episodes into season 3 it seems they sensed my weariness of Melfi and jazzed it up a bit. Season 3 has been great so far.

On 6/11/2020 at 8:50 PM, iladelphxx said:

CONFIRMED! 

I hate ambiguous endings so it's nice to get some clarity

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 8:50 PM, iladelphxx said:

CONFIRMED! 

I kind of thought that was the meaning behind the black screen and silence. well, after I initially thought my tv broke that is.

4 hours ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

I kind of thought that was the meaning behind the black screen and silence. well, after I initially thought my tv broke that is.

• Like 1

This is my favorite show of all time and I don't even think the first season was that good. I think each season gets incrementally better than the previous one. It's my go-to show to put on when I don't have anything going on. If any of these "cancel culture" social media incels goes after this show to take it off platforms because it's somehow insensitive, I'll lose my mind and cause a riot. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Right now I still have BB ahead of Sopranos but damn

Golden Age of TV stuff

I liked the ambiguous ending.  Too many people want things spoon fed to them.  I took it as whether it happened right then or not, this is his life now always looking over his shoulder and wondering.  and the scene was shot with great tension despite the actual action was simple of a family gathering for dinner.  I thought it was well done.

• Like 1

I've never seen any of it, same with Game of Thrones. I may start watching.

On 6/30/2020 at 6:41 PM, NOTW said:

I liked the ambiguous ending.  Too many people want things spoon fed to them.  I took it as whether it happened right then or not, this is his life now always looking over his shoulder and wondering.  and the scene was shot with great tension despite the actual action was simple of a family gathering for dinner.  I thought it was well done.

:P

6 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

You can skip the last season

On 7/3/2020 at 5:56 AM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

The Sopranos has a lot of classic scenes and episodes.  It's a very well done show, especially if you like shows or movies about the mafia.  It's also quite funny watching Tony Soprano try to be both an effective father/husband and a mob boss.  Logic tells you a person would have a hard time being both of those at the same time.