The Sopranos

BirdsFanBill

50 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Seriously.  You need to put it in a spoiler?  15 years after the fact?  :wacko:

yes

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I enjoyed it.  Some really good performances and a ton of references to the show, obviously. But there definitely was a forced "woke” element to it that doesn’t match with the show itself.  Even still I was surprised, I thought I was going to be disappointed.   Gandolfini was excellent nailing Tony’s mannerisms.  Sylvio was really forced.  Lidia actress nailed it.  Dicky was great too.  Without sharing any spoilers, I thought the reveal was kind of a let down.  

1 hour ago, Gannan said:

It was really good, on many different levels. However it raised more questions than it did answers which leads me to believe there will be more films to tell the story.

I thought it was great

12 hours ago, 700Level4Life said:

havent watched yet, but from what im reading, it has a "woke" feel to it. great...

You read some weird stuff. Find better sources.

9 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I enjoyed it.  Some really good performances and a ton of references to the show, obviously. But there definitely was a forced "woke” element to it that doesn’t match with the show itself.  Even still I was surprised, I thought I was going to be disappointed.   Gandolfini was excellent nailing Tony’s mannerisms.  Sylvio was really forced.  Lidia actress nailed it.  Dicky was great too.  Without sharing any spoilers, I thought the reveal was kind of a let down.  

:lol:

I actually thought it wasn't as strong as it could've been. The most recent analog was El Camino which I thought was also a bit on the weak side too. Maybe it's something about trying to revisit an all time best show several years later with just two hours to do it in that hampers the end product.

No clue what people are talking about with this "woke" stuff. Like, which exact elements were out of place against the backdrop of late 60's - early 70's new York / jersey?

But there were lots of other things that didn't make sense to me, like Silvio apparently being way older than Tony when I always thought they were closer in age according to the original show. That new guy's acting was garbage btw. Looked like he was auditioning for SNL. I thought Liotta wasn't that good either. Everyone else was decent. Gandolfini was really good, but wasn't in it enough. Maybe this sets the table for a mini series of its own or something, otherwise it doesn't make much sense as a stand alone film. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Not stunning.  The most politically biased hack on the board has to chime in.  You can deny it all you want.  But it’s pretty obvious.  I know your looney lefty guide book tells you to defend the notion.  Tells me all I need to know. 

What exactly about it was woke and forced?

38 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

What exactly about it was woke and forced?

It sure didn't seem woke to me.  Maybe some perceived that inserting a main African American character into the film was out of place given that the TV show did not feature any such character.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Procus said:

It sure didn't seem woke to me.  Maybe some perceived that inserting a main African American character into the film was out of place given that the TV show did not feature any such character.

If you want to say the character itself had too much screen time and served as needless exposition for Dickie's plotline when most fans are only going to care about young Tony's plotline, then that's a totally fair critique. But it has nothing to do with being woke and the exact same critique applies to Giuseppina's character too. Or even Dickie's uncle that he visits in jail. But instead of critiquing the characters themselves or the choice to focus more heavily on Dickie's plotline, we get lazy knee-jerk reactions about it being too "woke".

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Political correctness is a better term.  

I'll ask again, what exactly was too "politically correct" about the film? 

48 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

But there were lots of other things that didn't make sense to me, like Silvio apparently being way older than Tony when I always thought they were closer in age according to the original show. That new guy's acting was garbage btw. Looked like he was auditioning for SNL. I thought Liotta wasn't that good either. Everyone else was decent. Gandolfini was really good, but wasn't in it enough. Maybe this sets the table for a mini series of its own or something, otherwise it doesn't make much sense as a stand alone film. 

As a mini series, it has a much better chance although without a James Gandolfini to carry the show, it will be an uphill battle.  During its run, those hour long shows were like mini-movies and there wasn't too much material crammed in.  This film was all over the place.

On this movie, I did get the impression that the producers were cashing in on Liotta's star appeal.  Was not impressed one way or another with Michael Gandolfini, although he wasn't given any particularly good material to work with.   Also gave the feel of exploiting the Gandolfini name.  Comment on Silvio is spot on - too old and too much of a cartoon character.  Casting for Johnny Boy, Junior and Paulie Walnuts missed the mark by a mile. 

Just now, Procus said:

As a mini series, it has a much better chance although without a James Gandolfini to carry the show, it will be an uphill battle.  During its run, those hour long shows were like mini-movies and there wasn't too much material crammed in.  This film was all over the place.

On this movie, I did get the impression that the producers were cashing in on Liotta's star appeal.  Was not impressed one way or another with Michael Gandolfini, although he wasn't given any particularly good material to work with.   Also gave the feel of exploiting the Gandolfini name.  Comment on Silvio is spot on - too old and too much of a cartoon character.  Casting for Johnny Boy, Junior and Paulie Walnuts missed the mark by a mile. 

I actually thought Michael did well considering the circumstances. I wanted to see more, but seems like we were left hanging. But yeah agreed on the rest.

Attention all idiots and snowflakes:

Don't watch the following movies because they also are too woke and might offend your delicate sensibilities about what the world was like when racism was more prevalent...

Schindler's List, Green Book, A Bronx Tale, Remember the Titans, Gran Torino, American History X, etc

While you're at it, avoid the original Sopranos show too since the wokeness in the movie was also mentioned in the original show several times. If you happened to miss it back then it's probably because you were not yet indoctrinated by your cult like you are now.

• Like 1

Was an average movie. Left me wanting a whole lot more. On another note, I think young Sil was mildly retarded.

And I totally don’t follow the woke angle that’s being discussed. 

• Like 1

I liked it but the trailers made it seem like it'd be about Tony's youth. This was focused on Dickie with Tony in just to get more audience plugged in

No idea what people thought was "woke" in this

I thought the actors did great with showing the traits of all of the characters so you'd know who was who without their names even mentioned

• Like 2

If you saw the movie and can’t admit that there was some political correctness/woke element to it with the expanded African American storyline, then you’re being obtuse.  Which is par for the course for you.  Giving the times that the movie was made, it doesn’t surprise me.  Now as much as I know you would want to get into another left/right debate, since that’s the only depth you know.   I obviously won’t be able to convince you to step outside of your lane and I won’t try.  And honestly would never want to really, it humors me.  Your triggered snowflake reaction to other people’s opinions in this thread is the least surprising thing I’ll see all day.  

@4for4EaglesNest in reference to the African American storyline.

D7E26058-0143-4D5E-A19D-08F181FFC51D.jpeg

If you saw the movie and can’t admit that there was some political correctness/woke element to it with the expanded African American storyline, then you’re being obtuse.  Which is par for the course for you.  Giving the times that the movie was made, it doesn’t surprise me.  Now as much as I know you would want to get into another left/right debate, since that’s the only depth you know.   I obviously won’t be able to convince you to step outside of your lane and I won’t try.  And honestly would never want to really, it humors me.  Your triggered snowflake reaction to other people’s opinions in this thread is the least surprising thing I’ll see all day.  

It must suck not being able to watch movies without getting all offended about perceived wokeness. Schindler's List is an all time classic, A Bronx Tale is a personal favorite in the same genre, even lesser quality movies like Remember The Titans and Green Book were still really well done, but you wouldn't know because you probably started convulsing whenever a black character had more than 3 lines of dialogue.

15 minutes ago, downundermike said:

@4for4EaglesNest in reference to the African American storyline.

D7E26058-0143-4D5E-A19D-08F181FFC51D.jpeg

I already tried explaining to him, but he's too dumb to realize he was wrong. Or maybe too stubborn. My money is on the former.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I liked it but the trailers made it seem like it'd be about Tony's youth. This was focused on Dickie with Tony in just to get more audience plugged in

No idea what people thought was "woke" in this

I thought the actors did great with showing the traits of all of the characters so you'd know who was who without their names even mentioned

A black guy had dialogue beyond a few throw away sentences, so their panties instantly bunched up apparently.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Any time I like something, I usually read a lot about it.  Read quite a bit about the NY/NJ mafia, and African American involvement goes all the way back to prohibition.  

There was references to it and the long hot summer several times during the Soprano’s.

9 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Any time I like something, I usually read a lot about it.  Read quite a bit about the NY/NJ mafia, and African American involvement goes all the way back to prohibition.  

There was references to it and the long hot summer several times during the Soprano’s.

Frank Lucas was a real kingpin in NY during that era (a separate movie called American Gangster was based on him.) But I guess that's another movie that was too woke. Maybe our nation's history in general was too woke for some.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Yeah.  I get it.  An unseen bookie in season 6 being a blip in the show but kinda forced in the movie.   Like I said.  I enjoyed the movie. Didn’t ruin it all for me.  Although that woke hack would like to think so.  He can only get into political arguments on the MB. Zero depth.  He asked (fished) I answered.  He now has a reason to be triggered all day.  

You obviously are better than him.  

Racism, especially from Tony, was sort of a recurring theme in the show in case you didn't notice. This movie helps to set the backdrop for the genesis of Tony's personality. It would actually be very weird to do an entire movie about NYC / Newark organized crime in that setting and not mention the race riots and turf wars of that era. Don't blame wokeness for your own ignorance.

• Like 2

Didn't see it yet but general consensus from people I know who did say that it felt rushed and would have been better as a miniseries 

• Like 1

Vera Farmiga (playing Tony's Mom) is doing an impression of Tony's wife Carmela (Edie Falco). The fake nose adds to it, she looks more like Carmela than his Mom.

Making it seem Tony married someone just like his Mom. I don't recall, did that come up in Tony's therapy? 

1 hour ago, iladelphxx said:

Didn't see it yet but general consensus from people I know who did say that it felt rushed and would have been better as a miniseries 

Series I think would be better. This isn't feature length movie worthy. 

I thought it was about young Tony. He's barely in it the first half then jumps to him as a teen.

• Like 1

Ray Liotta finally gets to be Italian this time. Speaking of Goodfellas, hard to not get that vibe since it was set back then. Classic cars, soundtrack, going to a comedy club (where he heckles the guy for stealing from Henny Youngman, who performed in Goodfellas) and mafia having side chicks they buy apartments for. 

Lead actor was Nic Cages brother in Face/Off. :lol: he's come a long way.

• Like 1

Teenage Tony: goofy, smiling, awkward, a loser. His accent slipped in and out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

Teenage Tony: goofy, smiling, awkward, a loser. His accent slipped in and out.

Michael Gandolfini resembles his father as far as his features.  But he has no where near the range and depth as far as being an actor as his father did.  It felt to me that the producers were exploiting the Gandolfini name with the correct assumption that the Sopranos had such a large and loyal fan base that many would enjoy seeing the son play young Tony.  I was unimpressed with his performance.