The Sopranos

BirdsFanBill

Im about half way through season 4 now. Really just love this show. Brutal watching Christopher and Ade in this season.

On 7/7/2020 at 11:21 AM, BirdsFanBill said:

Im about half way through season 4 now. Really just love this show. Brutal watching Christopher and Ade in this season.

The ending of that Season...  wow!!

• 2 months later...

Well fellas, the wife and I finally finished this show last night. What a ride.

I loved it. Was not what I was expecting. Was more an examination of culture and human life in general while using these naturally exaggerated mafia characters. 

The ending was good with me, kind of showed the hopelessness of everything. Like no matter what, whether he's killed, arrested, or lives long enough to become irrelevant and not even remember ever doing anything like his uncle, none of these people can ever actually arrive and attain the happiness they are searching for. Basically every character in the show is an example of this attempt to find happiness and peace in their F'd up world and in the end being grossly unsuccessful. 

I thought what made the show was all the small scenes and symbolism throughout, just so many things that had me thinking and or chuckling at the entire situation. Example when Butch is on the phone with Phil in the last episode and he is walking down the street in Little Italy and when he gets off the phone is surrounded by asian people and realizes he walked into Chinatown out of Little Italy. Just small things like that showing that their way of life and culture is getting smaller and smaller. There were so many. 

Sil and Paulie were definitely my favorite characters, and Anthony Jr was the most annoying person ever, closely followed by Richie Aprile. 

Probably the only thing I disliked was the Melfi ending between her and Tony, but I did like the dinner how all her colleagues showed that even their code didn't matter in the end for these supposed "good citizens" and all acted dishonorably discussing Tony.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 12:41 PM, Mike030270 said:

Never watched The Wire and don't care to 🤷‍♂️

I've tried a few times to watch The Wire and I just can't get into it. Couldn't get past that blonde kid getting the crap beat out of him for printing fake money for drugs.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm liking the debate between the Wire and The Sopranos. I'm taking OZ over both of them. If it wasn't for Oz being a success, HBO probably doesn't broadcast the Sopranos or the Wire. OZ was the first show of it's kind on cable. The writing was phenomenal. Each show, showing the different factions of prison, was done very well. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

When OZ was on the same time The Sopranos was on.  I swear, Oz was better.  I should watch that again.   

I still lean Sopranos, but Oz was fantastic.  Watched it again earlier this year.  I still say Justified is better than both.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2020 at 8:31 AM, BirdsFanBill said:

Well fellas, the wife and I finally finished this show last night. What a ride.

I loved it. Was not what I was expecting. Was more an examination of culture and human life in general while using these naturally exaggerated mafia characters. 

The ending was good with me, kind of showed the hopelessness of everything. Like no matter what, whether he's killed, arrested, or lives long enough to become irrelevant and not even remember ever doing anything like his uncle...

You summed it up pretty well but missed the main point. The ending was in no way ambiguous.

Spoiler

The last scene of the show depicts the resolution of Tony's problem, which was introduced in the first scene of the series - his first visit to the shrink.
The ending depicts him as cured of his inner demons - he is at peace with himself, his job and his famiy, prepared to accept whatever comes his way.

On 7/11/2021 at 11:42 PM, eaglegenius said:

You summed it up pretty well but missed the main point. The ending was in no way ambiguous.

Reveal hidden contents

The last scene of the show depicts the resolution of Tony's problem, which was introduced in the first scene of the series - his first visit to the shrink.
The ending depicts him as cured of his inner demons - he is at peace with himself, his job and his famiy, prepared to accept whatever comes his way.

https://consequence.net/2020/06/the-sopranos-david-chase-ending/

• 1 month later...

They played the first 5 minutes at some Warner Bros event and Michael Imperioli (Christopher Moltisanti) narrates the movie a la Ray Liotta in Goodfellas (who is also in the movie) 

On 5/13/2020 at 10:33 PM, swifty said:

One of my favorite all time shows. Some incredible performances. Love the dynamic between Tony and Dr. Melfi.

Enjoy!

I thought it was the worst part of the show.  When I watch the repeats, I FF through that part.

On 6/30/2020 at 6:41 PM, NOTW said:

I liked the ambiguous ending.  Too many people want things spoon fed to them.  I took it as whether it happened right then or not, this is his life now always looking over his shoulder and wondering.  and the scene was shot with great tension despite the actual action was simple of a family gathering for dinner.  I thought it was well done.

Just from a business standpoint, it really needed to be that way.  Offered the producers a lot of wiggle room for a sequel, movie or later continuation of the series.  Nobody knew Gandolfini was going to die.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Re-watching in anticipation of Friday. Last night I saw the one where Tony is hanging out with his Dad's old mistress. Lots of flashbacks with Johnny and Livia.  

• Like 1

I'm in the middle of Many Saints on HBO Max.  So far, meh.  A letdown after all the buildup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Procus said:

I'm in the middle of Many Saints on HBO Max.  So far, meh.  A letdown after all the buildup.

This is confirmation that it is excellent.

@Gannan procus is such a baby about my comment that he PM'd me spoilers of the movie.  Good thing I was wise to it and stopped reading immediately.  Will go back and read the rest of the PM after I see the movie tonight.

havent watched yet, but from what im reading, it has a "woke" feel to it. great...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, downundermike said:

@Gannan procus is such a baby about my comment that he PM'd me spoilers of the movie.  Good thing I was wise to it and stopped reading immediately.  Will go back and read the rest of the PM after I see the movie tonight.

About 30 mins in I figured out why he didn’t like it 

1 hour ago, 700Level4Life said:

havent watched yet, but from what im reading, it has a "woke" feel to it. great...

Bringing up the undisputed fact that racism existed in the 60’s = woke. Got it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It was really good, on many different levels. However it raised more questions than it did answers which leads me to believe there will be more films to tell the story.

7 hours ago, Gannan said:

About 30 mins in I figured out why he didn’t like it

Had ZERO to do with politics or political correctness.  Bad plot, bad script, bad casting for the most part, poor pacing.  David Chase struck gold with the series, and those flashbacks were some of the best scenes.  But this horror show of a film was the 2020's version of Godfather III.  I guess Thomas Wolfe was right when he wrote you can't go home again.

• Like 1