Sacks

bigdog54

I’m watching these games and seeing all these other defenses getting pressure and sacks and I’m wondering what are these things? They seem like a rare disease for our eagles defense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm really not feeling good about this defense after today. Only one game but 35 points against the Lions? Not good!

All of them long drives too.  No short fields due to turnovers or special teams' returns.  If we turned the ball over once or twice this game could have gotten ugly. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, b_west3 said:

All of them long drives too.  No short fields due to turnovers or special teams' returns.  If we turned the ball over once or twice this game could have gotten ugly. 

Lots of the same stuff from last season it seems. Still only one game and I might take some time to get some chemistry down since these guys really haven’t played together, but giving up 35 to the Lions is very problematic. 

The line was a bit of a let down after all the build up, the wierdest thing was we seemed to have Reddick and Sweat dropping into coverage a few times which is a ridiculous thing to do with your starting edge rushers against a QB playing as shakily as Goff was.

6 hours ago, b_west3 said:

For sure yeah! At one point in the first half I thought they'd started to settle down. After the first long drive we started to force them to punt and we got the pick 6. But after that it just got messy. 

Detroit has one of the best offensive lines in the NFL and they were gashing us with the run. We were also biting on most of their screen attempts. As fans, sometimes we just see "detroit" and think "bad." Maybe this team is turning a corner, IDK, but their strength is their O-line. 

• Like 1

They were mauled in the run game and gave up far too many big runs on long distance downs. A lot of that was due to guys missing tackles they should have been making. At times the D looked awesome, at other times they looked pedestrian. I don't know what to make of them, but at the same time it appears to be a carry on from last year. Goff looked awful in the first half and then was able to sit back and make some easy throws. Other than the Cox/Graham sack and a couple of times they blitzed, it didn't look like they were able to generate much pressure from the front 4. It might be a scheme issue, I guess we will have a better idea when they play the Vikings who don't have the greatest O-line going around 

The Eagles do not have those types of players. Cox is no longer a force, Graham is coming back off major injury, both are old. Barnett has been underwhelming his entire career. Sweat is never consistent. Hargrave gets some push. But no one else finishes. The Eagle Dline is like my man in the film Apocalypto, Almost. It's sad that they cannot draft an above average DE/RUSH end since Graham (and it took Brandon a few seasons to get going). Sweat is decent but, his knees know he cannot be every down.

Concerned? - yes.

I'm willing to give them time to get a few games under their belts so they can figure out their schemes better.

I'd rather have a game like this, rather than a blowout so we didn't walk away thinking we were better than we were.

37 minutes ago, seengreen said:

The Eagles do not have those types of players. Cox is no longer a force, Graham is coming back off major injury, both are old. Barnett has been underwhelming his entire career. Sweat is never consistent. Hargrave gets some push. But no one else finishes. The Eagle Dline is like my man in the film Apocalypto, Almost. It's sad that they cannot draft an above average DE/RUSH end since Graham (and it took Brandon a few seasons to get going). Sweat is decent but, his knees know he cannot be every down.

Cox is no longer a force, yet he registered a sack in this game.

12 hours ago, Mortimer said:

Gannon feels that sacking the QB just isn't a very nice thing to do and he's leading by example.

So stunning and brave.

35 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

Cox is no longer a force, yet he registered a sack in this game.

Please re-watch the play he got a half sack on. It wasn't because of his rush. It was because Goff dropped the ball and he and Graham had that amount of time to get to him.

1 minute ago, seengreen said:

Please re-watch the play he got a half sack on. It wasn't because of his rush. It was because Goff dropped the ball and he and Graham had that amount of time to get to him.

Yeah, I know. Still he got a half a sack more than anyone else on the defense. 

Just now, jsdarkstar said:

Yeah, I know. Still he got a half a sack more than anyone else on the defense. 

Due to the QB dropping the ball. Not because of his rush attempt. He didn't do anything and was single blocked all game. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bigdog54 said:

I’m watching these games and seeing all these other defenses getting pressure and sacks and I’m wondering what are these things? They seem like a rare disease for our eagles defense. 

It's only week 1, with a shortened preseason the first game always has rust.  Kelce even said they're shaking off rust and since many players are limited in camp and preseason the first regular season game is the first real action.

Now they were weak in sacks last year which is why they signed Reddick, they have some other changes at LB and as we see Jordan Davis get more involved we'll see how that all impacts.  Plus perhaps coverage sacks having some upgrades in the secondary.

But the DE position is weak with an aging BG coming off injury, disappointment in Barnett, with Sweat who is a good player but they need a stronger DE opposite him.  I was hoping they'd draft a DE this year.  Should be a primary focus this upcoming offseason.

Having said that, they had 1 sack.  8 teams had 2 sacks.  4 teams had 3 sacks.  So we'll see how things go in the coming weeks if they improve to see if the new additions and any potential adjustments Gannon makes will work.  But that might be exposed as another weakness this year.

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

It's only week 1, with a shortened preseason the first game always has rust.  Kelce even said they're shaking off rust and since many players are limited in camp and preseason the first regular season game is the first real action.

Now they were weak in sacks last year which is why they signed Reddick, they have some other changes at LB and as we see Jordan Davis get more involved we'll see how that all impacts.  Plus perhaps coverage sacks having some upgrades in the secondary.

But the DE position is weak with an aging BG coming off injury, disappointment in Barnett, with Sweat who is a good player but they need a stronger DE opposite him.  I was hoping they'd draft a DE this year.  Should be a primary focus this upcoming offseason.

Having said that, they had 1 sack.  8 teams had 2 sacks.  4 teams had 3 sacks.  So we'll see how things go in the coming weeks if they improve to see if the new additions and any potential adjustments Gannon makes will work.  But that might be exposed as another weakness this year.

NOTW, I didn't get to see the game. Did they use Reddick much as an edge rusher? 

1 hour ago, PhillyPhreak24 said:

NOTW, I didn't get to see the game. Did they use Reddick much as an edge rusher? 

I missed a chunk of it too, and you're asking the wrong guy for those details.  :lol:  I'm sure there are others who might be able to tell you about that.

17 hours ago, bigdog54 said:

The Eagles as a team had 1 sack yesterday, Graham and Cox credited with 1/2 a sack each.  55 players had a full sack or more yesterday.

Dline is clearly an issue after the first game. Something that was dubbed as one of our biggest strengths did not display such quality.

Time will tell.

12 minutes ago, xxeaglesfanxx said:

I don’t recall even seeing a sack yesterday. The d picking up right where it left off last year.

I think they got one? Think it was Cox in like the third quarter but I could be wrong.