Sacks

bigdog54

14 hours ago, Jeep_man said:

Damn 72 sacks, that Bear D mustve been something real special..

If I remember correctly the Bears never had any Dlineman like JB, Reggie, Clyde etc  in 84

The 1984 roster included QB Jim McMahon, HB Walter Payton, WR Willie Gault, TE Emery Moorehead and OL Kurt Becker on Offense to name a few, but the defense that got 72 sacks in only 16 games. The Bears later won the Super Bowl in 1986.

The Chicago Bears 1984 team included players that later became head coaches in the NFL such as LB Ron Rivera (Commanders HC rookie yr), CB Jeff Fisher (Former Titans HC and current HC & GM of Michigan Panthers DB Dave Duerson (3.0 sacks) and 

MILB Mike Singletary,  LB Wilber Marshall (rookie year only started 1 game), Otis Wilson (6.5 sacks in 1984 10.5 sacks the following yr)

DE Richard Dent had 17.5 sacks DE Tyrone Keys (2.5 sacks), and current HC & GM of Michigan Panthers DB Dave Duerson (3.0 sacks)

Below is the link if you want to see the whole team.

1984 Chicago Bears Roster | StatMuse

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Heading into Week 17 of the 103rd season of the National Football League (NFL).
Philadelphia Eagles (13-2) in a disappointing loss to the Dallas Cowboys on the road the Eagles Defense gave up 442 total yards & 40 points.
However Eagles now host the NO Saints (6-9) in a must win (mainly for a better draft pick).
Besides winning the 1st overall seed with a victory the Eagles could set some records if the Eagles destroy the Saints this Sunday.

Sacks

image.png.11c325d2df38c4889fabcfb424f1e09c.png

Interceptions

image.png.d47e06610abe7d54b1be1c21dccb0966.png

Forced Fumbles

image.png.c406a1748ad5648608ae2d80bc9dc964.png

Eagles team record 63 sacks. NFL record 4 players with 10+ sacks.

• Like 2

FWIW the 84 Bears starting DTs finished their careers with 95 (McMichael) and 84 (Hampton) sacks. Dent had 137.5

Their coach was some guy named Buddy. Note: Ditka was the head coach of the offense and special teams. He was not allowed in the room for the D. That was all Buddy.

Hartstine (55 sacks) at the other end had 19 sacks in 83-84 combined so he was more of a rusher than Golic/Pitts.

Its crazy that the Eagles are 4 sacks away from that record after a 29 sack year in 2021.

On 1/1/2023 at 1:43 PM, NOTW said:

Eagles team record 63 sacks. NFL record 4 players with 10+ sacks.

image.png.f2a70f6dfbaf5015384fa641229125fd.png

How many sacks do you think the Eagles finish the 2022 season with? I say 73!

• Haha 1

Really happy to see our defense dominate in sacks during a passing era of football, but I’m most excited that people are finally back to appreciating the sack in general. 

4 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Really happy to see our defense dominate in sacks during a passing era of football, but I’m most excited that people are finally back to appreciating the sack in general. 

You definitely appreciate the sack! Beanbagger!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

You definitely appreciate the sack! Beanbagger!

I’ll admit it! I’m a beanbagger for sacks! 😂🤣😂

• Haha 2

On 9/11/2022 at 9:29 PM, bigdog54 said:

I’m watching these games and seeing all these other defenses getting pressure and sacks and I’m wondering what are these things? They seem like a rare disease for our eagles defense. 

Coming back to a 1st game hot take.

20230108_173835.jpg

• Like 2

Come on Come on, get those 3 sackss..

Fricken WEB, he just throws it away the minute the ball hits his hand..

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Record seems in doubt right now, but still pretty awesome to get 70.

Especially after last year when they got what 29 or something? That's a crazy improvement it really is. 

• Like 1

Eagles ended the season with sixty eight sacks, and finished below the Bears in all time history for most team sacks (which seems right since Eagles got to play an extra game).
What matters now is getting the pressure when it counts in the Post Season!

Correction - 70 sacks, sorry about that.

On 12/27/2022 at 6:09 PM, JournalistMic said:

The 1984 roster included QB Jim McMahon, HB Walter Payton, WR Willie Gault, TE Emery Moorehead and OL Kurt Becker on Offense to name a few, but the defense that got 72 sacks in only 16 games. The Bears later won the Super Bowl in 1986.

The Chicago Bears 1984 team included players that later became head coaches in the NFL such as LB Ron Rivera (Commanders HC rookie yr), CB Jeff Fisher (Former Titans HC and current HC & GM of Michigan Panthers DB Dave Duerson (3.0 sacks) and 

MILB Mike Singletary,  LB Wilber Marshall (rookie year only started 1 game), Otis Wilson (6.5 sacks in 1984 10.5 sacks the following yr)

DE Richard Dent had 17.5 sacks DE Tyrone Keys (2.5 sacks), and current HC & GM of Michigan Panthers DB Dave Duerson (3.0 sacks)

Below is the link if you want to see the whole team.

1984 Chicago Bears Roster | StatMuse

NFL offenses weren't ready for the "46" defense, either. Later, when OC's figured it out, the 46 was useless. The element of surprise/new defense style helped get all those sacks.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, JournalistMic said:

Eagles ended the season with sixty eight sacks, and finished below the Bears in all time history for most team sacks (which seems right since Eagles got to play an extra game).

They ended the season with 70, they went into the giants game with 68

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JournalistMic said:

Incorrect GIFs | Tenor

7 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

They ended the season with 70, they went into the giants game with 68

Corrected GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Single season team sack leaders

1984 Bears - 72 in 16 games

1989 Vikings - 71 in 16 games

1987 Bears - 70 in 15 games

2022 Eagles - 70 in 17 games

1 hour ago, Talonblood said:

NFL offenses weren't ready for the "46" defense, either. Later, when OC's figured it out, the 46 was useless. The element of surprise/new defense style helped get all those sacks.

It was Buddy Ryan wasn't it, that created the 46 defense.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, JournalistMic said:

It was Buddy Ryan wasn't it, that created the 46 defense.

Yes it was. He brought it to the Eagles when he came here.

• Like 1

Watching the all 70 sacks video on the eagles homepage was sweet!  I hope they bring all that energy for playoff game!  Sweat coming back will be huge!

• Like 1

FFE99F96-B6CB-4D21-A258-D784C4AEE94D.thumb.jpeg.c6a614d9b935a627a0184d908b5ec36e.jpeg

PFF ranking Sweat and BG over Reddick. People actually pay money for this trash. Don’t get me wrong both Sweat and BG have been outstanding this year, but seriously Reddick 21st ranked??? People were wanting him to be a finalist for DPOY yet PFF doesn’t even have him as the second best pass rusher on his own team. This might be a bit worse considering where they ranked Blankenship over CJGJ. Cue @brkmsn to tell me how correct this hot garbage is. 😂
068353D7-33F1-4E1A-AD56-530F80349B4B.thumb.jpeg.15826dc6049597e6f9a0debd4511217e.jpeg

6 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

FFE99F96-B6CB-4D21-A258-D784C4AEE94D.thumb.jpeg.c6a614d9b935a627a0184d908b5ec36e.jpeg

PFF ranking Sweat and BG over Reddick. People actually pay money for this trash. Don’t get me wrong both Sweat and BG have been outstanding this year, but seriously Reddick 21st ranked??? People were wanting him to be a finalist for DPOY yet PFF doesn’t even have him as the second best pass rusher on his own team. This might be a bit worse considering where they ranked Blankenship over CJGJ. Cue @brkmsn to tell me how correct this hot garbage is. 😂
068353D7-33F1-4E1A-AD56-530F80349B4B.thumb.jpeg.15826dc6049597e6f9a0debd4511217e.jpeg

I'm pretty sure that includes their run grades too. I'm not sure why a grading system bothers you so much. When they just go off pass rush stats (like pass rush win rate), Reddick is higher. But their total grade also reflects their effectiveness against the run. Since Reddick is asked to drop back in coverage a few times a game, his overall grade probably reflects his coverage grade too. 

But are you actually getting butthurt because of PFF grades in the 80s? Those are all really good grades. Reggie White and Bruce Smith played long before PFF, but if they were graded, you would see both players graded pretty close together in pass rush grades, but White would be way higher in run defense grading and overall grading. Both players are in the HOF. 

Graham had his snap count significantly reduced this season. For comparison purposes, the number of snaps played (which is the grade sample size):

Reddick (817)

Sweat (587)

Graham (474)

CJGJ (729)

Blankenship (291)

Last season in limited snaps, Epps graded much better than he did this season playing nearly every snap. As for CJGJ, he's made some really nice plays, but most of his INTs were a result of somebody else's big play and he came up with the deflection. His tackling was a bit inconsistent. 

Honestly, I'm not sure why it's so hard for you to make an effort to understand the grading, rather than dismissing it. If you want to be the highest graded overall edge rusher in the NFL, then be great against the run and the pass --- especially if you play nearly every down (like Reddick). Graham's grade definitely benefitted from how he was used. 

Graham :

2020: 757 snaps / 8 sacks

2021: Injured

2022: 474 snaps / 11 sacks

16 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I'm pretty sure that includes their run grades too. I'm not sure why a grading system bothers you so much. When they just go off pass rush stats (like pass rush win rate), Reddick is higher. But their total grade also reflects their effectiveness against the run. Since Reddick is asked to drop back in coverage a few times a game, his overall grade probably reflects his coverage grade too. 

But are you actually getting butthurt because of PFF grades in the 80s? Those are all really good grades. Reggie White and Bruce Smith played long before PFF, but if they were graded, you would see both players graded pretty close together in pass rush grades, but White would be way higher in run defense grading and overall grading. Both players are in the HOF. 

Graham had his snap count significantly reduced this season. For comparison purposes, the number of snaps played (which is the grade sample size):

Reddick (817)

Sweat (587)

Graham (474)

CJGJ (729)

Blankenship (291)

Last season in limited snaps, Epps graded much better than he did this season playing nearly every snap. As for CJGJ, he's made some really nice plays, but most of his INTs were a result of somebody else's big play and he came up with the deflection. His tackling was a bit inconsistent. 

Honestly, I'm not sure why it's so hard for you to make an effort to understand the grading, rather than dismissing it. If you want to be the highest graded overall edge rusher in the NFL, then be great against the run and the pass --- especially if you play nearly every down (like Reddick). Graham's grade definitely benefitted from how he was used. 

Graham :

2020: 757 snaps / 8 sacks

2021: Injured

2022: 474 snaps / 11 sacks

Graham was highly productive this year for the amount of snaps he played. So was Cox for that matter, but seriously the only thing that changed for any of these players was the addition of Reddick. He also led the team in FF. You can’t for anything tell me that a part time player was better than the full time player and certainly not by what PFF is saying just like Blankenship outranking CJGJ. Just ridiculous.