Saints draft pick watch

Procus

Saints lose a heart breaker and the Eagles move up a couple of more notches.

• Like 2

Just now, PoconoDon said:

Saints lose a heart breaker and the Eagles move up a couple of more notches.

Feels great doesn't it! I don't like either team but I was glad for the double doink. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Feels great doesn't it! I don't like either team but I was glad for the double doink. 

Double doinks rock!

• Like 2

so.... if the comeback against ATL didn't happen, they would currently be giving us the top pick?

#3 isn't bad though.

1 hour ago, paco said:

so.... if the comeback against ATL didn't happen, they would currently be giving us the top pick?

#3 isn't bad though.

Hopefully they don't win a bunch of meaningless games

Assuming the Eagles do land a top 5 pick, does Howie pick the BPA or does he trade it for a kings ransom to some team wanting to move up and pick a QB? The Seahawks for example currently have picks 13 and 14 and there is no way they think Geno Smith is a franchise QB

2 hours ago, Mat said:

Assuming the Eagles do land a top 5 pick, does Howie pick the BPA or does he trade it for a kings ransom to some team wanting to move up and pick a QB? The Seahawks for example currently have picks 13 and 14 and there is no way they think Geno Smith is a franchise QB

I would think that if the Saints pick ends up being 3rd or so (unlikely) and the Eagles own pick ends up 25th (for the sake of argument), it is much more likely that Howie would trade the latter pick than the higher one. With a pick that high, you're looking to get a stud defensive player, probably a pass rusher, and that is our biggest need. It would be a perfect marriage. Then at 25, you trade out of the first round, get a high second round pick and maybe a third, and then continue to add defense.

I still think we're all going to end up being disappointed this year, just like we were last year when the Dolphins only won one game in the first half of the year and we were all salivating over a top three pick. 

2 hours ago, Mat said:

Pretty sure we'd trade down for future picks. Served us so well this far they won't change that.

21 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I would think that if the Saints pick ends up being 3rd or so (unlikely) and the Eagles own pick ends up 25th (for the sake of argument), it is much more likely that Howie would trade the latter pick than the higher one. With a pick that high, you're looking to get a stud defensive player, probably a pass rusher, and that is our biggest need. It would be a perfect marriage. Then at 25, you trade out of the first round, get a high second round pick and maybe a third, and then continue to add defense.

I still think we're all going to end up being disappointed this year, just like we were last year when the Dolphins only won one game in the first half of the year and we were all salivating over a top three pick. 

I don’t. That saints team is not good. Whether Winston is healthy or not. People are underestimating the job that Payton did with that team. They performed above their talent level under him the last couple years. 

Looks like the loss of Sean Payton is bigger than a lot of people accounted for.  Saints are committing a lot of turnovers and penalties.  Much of that comes down to coaching.  Dennis Allen's Raiders also had problems with turnovers.  Not sure why anybody would hire this retread to be their HC after he laid an egg horribly in Oakland.

1 minute ago, Infam said:

Pretty sure we'd trade down for future picks. Served us so well this far they won't change that.

Depends on whether there is somebody on the board that the team wants.  I wouldn't count on N.O. continuing to be at the bottom of the league, but who knows?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Procus said:

Looks like the loss of Sean Payton is bigger than a lot of people accounted for.  Saints are committing a lot of turnovers and penalties.  Much of that comes down to coaching.  Dennis Allen's Raiders also had problems with turnovers.  Not sure why anybody would hire this retread to be their HC after he laid an egg horribly in Oakland.

Depends on whether there is somebody on the board that the team wants.  I wouldn't count on N.O. continuing to be at the bottom of the league, but who knows?

I don't see it. If we had a pick that high it would have to be a premium position with a player they absolutely love. Premium as in DE...

Way more likely they would trade down to the 10-15 range and pick up another premium pick the year after.

I don't think the Saints are very good at all, but I also have a really hard time finding 20 teams better than them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mat said:

Either I would be fine with, but I can see them using it on a DE.

I mean if they can keep most of this defense intact and add a top 5 pick edge rusher into the mix the defense would be even scarier next season. 

22 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

I don't think the Saints are very good at all, but I also have a really hard time finding 20 teams better than them.

Really? I think they’re really, really bad. Like lose to Seattle this weekend bad. 

1 hour ago, nipples said:

Really? I think they’re really, really bad. Like lose to Seattle this weekend bad. 

This would be _very_ good for our draft prospects.  The Saints should be better when they get some of their injured players back.  This is a highly overrated team that clearly misses Sean Peyton.  

2 hours ago, nipples said:

How you figure that?  they have talent on every level on offense AND defense.  Not the top level D they've had before but still at least average.  OLine has some stars and you can do a lot worse than Kamara/Olave/Thomas/parker.  The problem is Qb and some of those guys have been banged up lately.

9 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

How you figure that?  they have talent on every level on offense AND defense.  Not the top level D they've had before but still at least average.  OLine has some stars and you can do a lot worse than Kamara/Olave/Thomas/parker.  The problem is Qb and some of those guys have been banged up lately.

Olave is an unproven rookie. Thomas is never healthy anymore. Parker… meh. Kamara has tailed off a lot the last couple of years. 

And to say their "only problem is QB” is a big Fing problem. 

2 minutes ago, nipples said:

Olave is an unproven rookie. Thomas is never healthy anymore. Parker… meh. Kamara has tailed off a lot the last couple of years. 

And to say their "only problem is QB” is a big Fing problem. 

Hey maybe, their schedule is pretty brutal.

Sounds like Thomas is likely out again. If they actually lose to Seattle that pick is going to really start looking juicy. Their schedule still has:

Bengals, Ravens, Rams, Niners, Bucs, Eagles. I think those are all more likely to be losses than wins. 

Then they also have Arizona and Cleveland, which are tossups IMO. 

They should beat the Steelers, Falcons, Panthers, and Raiders, but who knows. Especially the division games which can always be surprises .

The last time Andy Dalton had a winning record was 2015.

Cam Newton was MVP.

Peyton Manning won the Super Bowl.

Chip Kelly was coaching the Eagles.

Jeff Fisher was coaching the Rams.

Jalen Hurts was in high school.

Since the start of 2016 Marcus Mariota is 28-25 with an 88.2 rating.

Dalton is 27-44-1 with a 85.9 rating.

On 10/4/2022 at 11:19 AM, Mat said:

Probably not a reasonable assumption