Jaylen Waddle (Alabama WR) -- DRAFTED BY MIAMI #6

QBhunter58

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I like Waddle a lot but I'm not sure he and Reagor can play the majority of snaps together? I could be wrong but neither is an X receiver.

You don't need an X all the time. Besides you can slide Reagor to the slot even if you have a traditional X.

9 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I like Waddle a lot but I'm not sure he and Reagor can play the majority of snaps together? I could be wrong but neither is an X receiver.

That line of thinking worked out well for Jefferson. 

I want a vertical slot/Z-not an X.  I'd love Jalen-but he'll be gone before Philly picks, and as I reminded my brother this morning:

Quarters & Corners.  Tackles & Ends.   That's what their cap management seeks in rd. 1.  They'll have "optionality" at 12.

Good class for what I'm seeking for this offense.  They can find one later.

I really hope Waddle wont be the next Sydney Jones for the Eagles if he is the pick..... Drafting injured player based on potential is sooo Roseman..

7 hours ago, Infam said:

You don't need an X all the time. Besides you can slide Reagor to the slot even if you have a traditional X.

Umm... OK. So Reagor in the slot, Waddle at Z. Who at X? Or Waddle at Z, Ward in the slot and who at X? Or Reagor at Z, Waddle in the slot and who at X? Sure you don't need an X all the time but you need an X for a good amount of plays. 

3 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

That line of thinking worked out well for Jefferson. 

That line of thinking was flawed. And actually they wanted speed so they drafted Reagor. I don't think it was about complementing any other WR? Whereas this situation is different. 

On 4/3/2021 at 3:08 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah Bateman is more of an X, same with Marshall. But I dont see any primary "x" receivers in the top round of the draft. If the kid can play, that's what matters. If Waddle turns out to be Tyreek Hill you can call him whatever you want. Personally, I would not be mad if we traded back a few slots (unless one of the blue chippers falls to 12).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, QBhunter58 said:

Yeah Bateman is more of an X, same with Marshall. But I dont see any primary "x" receivers in the top round of the draft. If the kid can play, that's what matters. If Waddle turns out to be Tyreek Hill you can call him whatever you want. Personally, I would not be mad if we traded back a few slots (unless one of the blue chippers falls to 12).

I do wonder if they take someone like Waddle or Smith if they have either play the Z and have Reagor focus on the slot.  

30 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I do wonder if they take someone like Waddle or Smith if they have either play the Z and have Reagor focus on the slot.  

That’s what I’d do - and see if I could find a X later on (Collins, Terry, etc.)

On 4/5/2021 at 3:30 PM, QBhunter58 said:

I mean look if Waddle turns out to be Hill II then great and yeah you use him in a variety of ways and you just get him the ball. He almost becomes an X receiver at that point because you look to get him the ball in as many ways as you can. I like Marshall a lot in the second actually. My buddy @Ray75 and I have discussed Marshall and we are both fans so I'd be happy with that pick in the second too.

On 4/5/2021 at 7:23 PM, time2rock said:

Why not do both? Plenty of times where you want to use the run (or look like it) and it will do you real good to play both Waddle and Reagor on the outside, maybe even with double TE to block. Then when you want to use the X you move Waddle to the Y and Reagor to the slot plus Goedert.. 

I don't see how the position of Smith or Waddle would hinder us from using everyone to his best.

On 4/7/2021 at 10:08 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean look if Waddle turns out to be Hill II then great and yeah you use him in a variety of ways and you just get him the ball. He almost becomes an X receiver at that point because you look to get him the ball in as many ways as you can. I like Marshall a lot in the second actually. My buddy @Ray75 and I have discussed Marshall and we are both fans so I'd be happy with that pick in the second too.

Recency bias has me prefer Bateman over Marshall. He looked like a man on a mission at his pro day - unlike Marshall who was dropping balls all over the place.

That said, I think it's funny how much better even Najee Harris is at running routes.. 😄

2 hours ago, Infam said:

Recency bias has me prefer Bateman over Marshall. He looked like a man on a mission at his pro day - unlike Marshall who was dropping balls all over the place.

That said, I think it's funny how much better even Najee Harris is at running routes.. 😄

I mean look I'd love Bateman but he's going to be gone by the time we are on the board in the second. I mean that's not guaranteed of course but I suspect he goes mid to late first round.

If they grab Waddle in R1 I'm fine with that, but I want a big traditional X in R3-7 then...someone like Nico Collins, Seth Williams, Tamorrion Terry, etc.

I suppose they could do (don't throw eggs or tomatoes at me):

X JJAW or Fulgham

Z Waddle

Slot Reagor

lol

5 hours ago, Outlaw said:

If they grab Waddle in R1 I'm fine with that, but I want a big traditional X in R3-7 then...someone like Nico Collins, Seth Williams, Tamorrion Terry, etc.

X JJAW or Fulgham

Z Waddle

Slot Reagor

lol

I mentioned something similar on Monday (6 posts above yours), that if they drafted Waddle  I’d think they’d have him play the Z and wondered if then the best alignment wouldn’t be to have Reagor in the slot.  It will be interesting to see where they play JJAW and Fulgham (the latter seems best served at the X) and how well they’ll do in the new offense under entirely new coaching.  

Seth Williams (Auburn) intrigues me as a later round XWR prospect.

On 4/2/2021 at 9:08 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm worried about the fit for Waddle or Smith. Both are Z or Y WRs as is Reagor. So spending back to back first round picks on Z/Y WRs without a true X seems short sighted.

I like the players, just not sure about the fit. I see a lot of people immediately jumping on board for Waddle/Smith to be the pick without explaining the role Reagor and the new player would have on the team.

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

I mentioned something similar on Monday (6 posts above yours), that if they drafted Waddle  I’d think they’d have him play the Z and wondered if then the best alignment wouldn’t be to have Reagor in the slot.  It will be interesting to see where they play JJAW and Fulgham (the latter seems best served at the X) and how well they’ll do in the new offense under entirely new coaching.  

Seth Williams (Auburn) intrigues me as a later round XWR prospect.

Seth is raw. My top 5 X’s (not counting Pitts) are Bateman, Marshall, Wallace, Collins and Josh Palmer. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kentwo said:

I'm worried about the fit for Waddle or Smith. Both are Z or Y WRs as is Reagor. So spending back to back first round picks on Z/Y WRs without a true X seems short sighted.

I like the players, just not sure about the fit. I see a lot of people immediately jumping on board for Waddle/Smith to be the pick without explaining the role Reagor and the new player would have on the team.

And that's my point. If they think Reagor and Waddle / Smith can play the majority of snaps together and be productive then great but they will lack an X receiver and that's a concern. 

• Like 1

Not sure why so many are big on Waddle. Hes a below avg route runner. reminds me of Ruggs last year. All about his speed to get him open. I'll pass. Id take Smith and his small size with great route running over Waddle. Id rather take someone like Marshall from LSU in the 2nd round even over Waddle in the 1st. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And that's my point. If they think Reagor and Waddle / Smith can play the majority of snaps together and be productive then great but they will lack an X receiver and that's a concern. 

👍

Hopefully, they can get someone like Marshall or Palmer in the second round for the X. Or perhaps they really feel Fulgham or JJAW can play opposite Reagor and Smith/Waddle. Or maybe they really feel that Waddle can beat press man without motion. I haven't watched enough of him in that situation to really have an opinion on if he can/can't. Just based on size and draft profiles I've read, it doesn't seem like he would be able to consistently beat that coverage in the NFL.

People know that the team needs WR so immediately plug in the best WRs at the position, but fit is also important which is why I'm leaning towards one of the top two CBs over Smith/Waddle in the first round. Not that I think Smith/Waddle won't be good, but considering what the team already has, CB2 seems like a bigger hole than Y/Z WR. X WR on the other hand is a big need, which is why Chase would've been a great fit.

On 4/3/2021 at 11:32 AM, Jeep_man said:

I really hope Waddle wont be the next Sydney Jones for the Eagles if he is the pick..... Drafting injured player based on potential is sooo Roseman..

First, that's why DK Metcalf was off our draft board. Second, Jones was hurt during his pro day and teams knew he would miss most or all of the regular season. Unlike Metcalf, Waddle only had 1 injury of concern in college, which should be pretty much healed. He did return to play in his team's finale. 

On 4/8/2021 at 1:56 PM, Outlaw said:

X JJAW or Fulgham

Z Waddle

Slot Reagor

lol

I think a lot of it has to do with how well Fulgham can play. If he can ball that's a great trio of receivers. But if it turns out his 5-game run was a fluke, then a combination of Smith, Reagor and Ward looks much better. 

1 hour ago, beto_eagles said:

I think a lot of it has to do with how well Fulgham can play. If he can ball that's a great trio of receivers. But if it turns out his 5-game run was a fluke, then a combination of Smith, Reagor and Ward looks much better. 

And that's the big question. Can Fulgham ball for the full year? Can he be a good starting X receiver? If Sirianni thinks he can get the most out of Fulgham then that makes things a little easier for Howie in the draft. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And that's the big question. Can Fulgham ball for the full year? Can he be a good starting X receiver? If Sirianni thinks he can get the most out of Fulgham then that makes things a little easier for Howie in the draft. 

I mean he’s worked with other lower tier receivers before. Pascal last year being the most obvious example. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, beto_eagles said:

That looks like 2 ZWRs and a slot (or 2 slot WRs and a ZWR).