Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. New Year. Same BS.

Captain F

Only the Phillies could make Ozuna and Harris look good this year. Heading into the series ozuna was hitting .211. In 1.5 games he’s up to .234 and Harris has 3 RBIs and a 2 run homer tonight meanwhile was hitting in the .160s 

The Season is saved!!

Praise-edited.jpg

• Haha 1

Turner starting to get going. 

That was by far the best Wheeler has looked all season. I know he gave up the homer, but even Kimbrel has been looking good. It would be huge if they can take 3 out of 4. Who's pitching tomorrow? Suarez? 

31 minutes ago, vsptroops said:

That was by far the best Wheeler has looked all season. I know he gave up the homer, but even Kimbrel has been looking good. It would be huge if they can take 3 out of 4. Who's pitching tomorrow? Suarez? 

Covey

Shame Nola crapped the bed, they could have been sitting at 4 back with a chance to sweep.  

I hate Sunday night baseball games.

• Like 2

Bohm one of the only dudes playing well consistently and he gets to ride the pine today. The lineup decisions this season so far have been....decisions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, devpool said:

Bohm one of the only dudes playing well consistently and he gets to ride the pine today. The lineup decisions this season so far have been....decisions.

What's wrong with a day off every now and then?

I remember going to a Phillies game about fifteen years ago when Chase Utley was out of the lineup against Randy Johnson, and my buddy went insane. He said that was the STUPIDEST decision he'd ever seen. My argument was, well, we knew Utley wasn't going to play 162 games and that he'd get a day off every now and then. Isn't THIS the best game for him to sit? Not only against a lefty, but against the best lefty in baseball?

I don't mind a guy sitting every now and then. It's a long season.

• Like 1

Covey may not make it out of the first inning. Man this guy stinks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Blutarski said:

Covey may not make it out of the first inning. Man this guy stinks.

Amazing we can’t find a 5th starter from our minors that’s just mediocre 

• Like 2

Well, since the Phillies are getting destroyed in this game, there was an article on ESPN saying the Phillies are going to be involved in the Ohtani sweepstakes. Makes sense as Aaron Nola could leave and wheeler is getting older. Add on you don’t have to bring hoskins back at that point because you can just have Ohtani move into that first base rule when he’s not pitching. I need this argument in the off-season that if you were going to pay rhys and nola around $55-60 mil combined per season then you might be better off just spending the extra money on just Ohtani and getting a better hitter in Ohtani and an ace in Ohtani. You’d essentially be improving at two positions but just paying one player

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

What's wrong with a day off every now and then?

I remember going to a Phillies game about fifteen years ago when Chase Utley was out of the lineup against Randy Johnson, and my buddy went insane. He said that was the STUPIDEST decision he'd ever seen. My argument was, well, we knew Utley wasn't going to play 162 games and that he'd get a day off every now and then. Isn't THIS the best game for him to sit? Not only against a lefty, but against the best lefty in baseball?

I don't mind a guy sitting every now and then. It's a long season.

Against the best lefty in the game we need our best players playing, give him a day off against someone's 4

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Well, since the Phillies are getting destroyed in this game, there was an article on ESPN saying the Phillies are going to be involved in the Ohtani sweepstakes. Makes sense as Aaron Nola could leave and wheeler is getting older. Add on you don’t have to bring hoskins back at that point because you can just have Ohtani move into that first base rule when he’s not pitching. I need this argument in the off-season that if you were going to pay rhys and nola around $55-60 mil combined per season then you might be better off just spending the extra money on just Ohtani and getting a better hitter in Ohtani and an ace in Ohtani. You’d essentially be improving at two positions but just paying one player

I doubt he comes here but he would be stupid to do what trout did and stay with the Angels. Unless he doesn't care about winning, like trout, in which case he can stay there cause they'll probably throw bags of money at him

4 hours ago, devpool said:

Bohm hamstring issue

Just now, Joe Shades 73 said:

Bohm hamstring issue

Makes more sense, didn't see anything at the time

hard to believe this team is a season removed from playing in the World Series. What the hell happened?

1 hour ago, JohnB said:

hard to believe this team is a season removed from playing in the World Series. What the hell happened?

Tbh it’s not that hard to believe. They were actually some how worse at this point last may then they figured it out. The biggest issue is pitching. The hitting seems to be at least starting to come around and schwarber usually rakes in June.  

• Like 1

Off on Memorial Day. Hilarious how clueless MLB is

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Off on Memorial Day. Hilarious how clueless MLB is

Yup. It used to be common to have doubleheaders on big days like Memorial Day or the Fourth of July. But now, those days are just considered to be any old weekday. Sad.