Damar Hamlin

Procus

1 hour ago, Gannan said:

One of us can still post in CVON, the other is banned because of his moronic narrative. I'll let that speak for itself. 

Ok - you got me on that one.  When it comes to moderators on football message boards, you got me beat.  And BTW, had nothing to do w my narrative and everything to do with my talking back to and not being intimidated by moderators. 

Try the real world and let's how your posturing stands up.

4 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Last I saw, it  looks like he's at least out of danger? Still in serious condition, of course but alive and getting great care and attention.

That is the most important thing of all, of course. But, the flip side is that there's still an NFL season going on and this game has bigtime implications for the post season. So it's not like they can just call it a draw, no harm, no foul

We're already at Tuesday, unless they're going to play tonight, they're really cutting into prep time for next week. So what does the league do that keeps it fair for all teams (if they decide to cancel the game entirely). Void the entire week for the entire league? Re-schedule the game and bump all other games back a week?

How can the league do this, from a strictly football sense?

Maybe the same way first possession is determined at the start of a game - flip a coin.

7 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

Maybe the same way first possession is determined at the start of a game - flip a coin.

But is that fair to those two teams and all of those players and to their fan bases? 

1 minute ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

But is that fair to those two teams and all of those players and to their fan bases? 

I dunno. The trick is going to be choosing the least bad. There doesn't seem to be a good choice.

12 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Yep.  The Bills knew they  had to beat KC so they did not have to go to Arrowhead in the playoffs, and if the game last night is not finished, it was all for nothing.

the league said they aren’t restating the game this week.  Week 18 goes as scheduled.  I don’t know what the ramifications of calling it a tie would be for standings?  Or playoff seeding?  But that seems the only fair way to do it.  

1 minute ago, DBW said:

the league said they aren’t restating the game this week.  Week 18 goes as scheduled.  I don’t know what the ramifications of calling it a tie would be for standings?  Or playoff seeding?  But that seems the only fair way to do it.  

It impacts the 1, 2 and 3 seed.  Could also impact who wins the AFC north.

16 minutes ago, downundermike said:

First off, that is a really creepy avatar of Vito notwithstanding him being one of Tony's best earners.  :chair:

Secondly, as to the seeding impact, at the end of the day, so what?  How many times have we seen seeding come down to bad calls by the officials, freaky plays, strange weather, or otherwise.  This to me looks to me like the type of intangible variable that could affect seeding, regardless of whether it's fair or not.  The tragedy from last night just outweighs playoff seeding.

2 minutes ago, Procus said:

First off, that is a really creepy avatar of Vito notwithstanding him being one of Tony's best earners. 

It was my prize for losing a board bet.

58 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I would say see what it looks like after week 18 but have a plan in place to play it the following week if needed.  That would essentially take away the bye week so if that’s all that is yet to be determined after week 18 then don’t bother playing it but if 3 teams could flip flop in the standings then play it.  It may mean that the AFC has to play a game during the 2 weeks before the superbowl.  I always thought 2 weeks was too long to have off anyway.  

4 hours ago, vaff said:

I wish we had more answers about how he’s doing at this point.

Last I read - from a family member - he was still on the ventilator but only at 50% so that is a major improvement.  He has some lung damage but they were not specific about that. My guess would be bruising and/or a partial collapse.  CPR can cause bruised and broken ribs too so they may be keeping him on the vent to ease the pain and discomfort of having to fully breathe on his own. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DBW said:

Last I read - from a family member - he was still on the ventilator but only at 50% so that is a major improvement.  He has some lung damage but they were not specific about that. My guess would be bruising and/or a partial collapse.  CPR can cause bruised and broken ribs too so they may be keeping him on the vent to ease the pain and discomfort of having to fully breathe on his own. 

Most likely he's in a coma right now, induced or otherwise

5 hours ago, DBW said:

I would say see what it looks like after week 18 but have a plan in place to play it the following week if needed.  That would essentially take away the bye week so if that’s all that is yet to be determined after week 18 then don’t bother playing it but if 3 teams could flip flop in the standings then play it.  It may mean that the AFC has to play a game during the 2 weeks before the superbowl.  I always thought 2 weeks was too long to have off anyway.  

My first option would be to play game after 18 concludes.

7 hours ago, eglz1 said:

No way. That's a game of chance

7 hours ago, eglz1 said:

I dunno. The trick is going to be choosing the least bad. There doesn't seem to be a good choice.

My idea:

Bills finish 13-3 and Chiefs finish 14-3: Bills get #1 seed due to beating Chiefs.

Bengals and Bills finish 12-4 and Chiefs finish 13-4, seeding as follows: Bengals (led 7-3 and a Bills player caused game to be stopped), Bills, Chiefs.

Bengals finish 11-5, Ravens and Chargers finish 11-6: Ravens win AFC North due to beating Bengals twice; Chargers get higher seed than Bengals due to conference record (Chargers 8-4 and Bengals 7-4).

1 hour ago, Procus said:

Most likely he's in a coma right now, induced or otherwise

He is sedated.  Uncle also said he had to be resuscitated at the hospital as well.  He’s on his stomach to help take pressure off his lungs and hopefully to get him breather in hi gas own again. 

but all reports say his vitals are good.  

obviously they’ll need further testing to determine exact causes and if any permanent brain damage was done due to lack of oxygen.  Definitely a long way to go. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Procus said:

Ok - you got me on that one.  When it comes to moderators on football message boards, you got me beat.  And BTW, had nothing to do w my narrative and everything to do with my talking back to and not being intimidated by moderators. 

Try the real world and let's how your posturing stands up.

CoordinatedDelightfulAfricanbushviper-si

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Procus said:

Here's something encouraging

Hmmmmm the guy from your video talks about his experience from 2019.

giphy.gif

22 hours ago, DBW said:

I don't think its a tie, I think its a Buffalo forfeit.  If Buffalo's team bus had crashed on the way to the game it would have been a Buffalo forfeit.  If a team decides not to play because one of them died earlier in the week its a forfeit.  It was Sean McDermott who made the decision his team wasn't going to play.  It's unfair to Buffalo but it's the protocol as far as I understand it.

5 hours ago, Gannan said:

Hmmmmm the guy from your video talks about his experience from 2019.

giphy.gif

You have to be a very strange person to be eliminating possible causes in your mind for political reasons.  An honest approach is to say that there is not enough information to determine or exclude possible causes.  

1 hour ago, dawkins4prez said:

I don't think its a tie, I think its a Buffalo forfeit.  If Buffalo's team bus had crashed on the way to the game it would have been a Buffalo forfeit.  If a team decides not to play because one of them died earlier in the week its a forfeit.  It was Sean McDermott who made the decision his team wasn't going to play.  It's unfair to Buffalo but it's the protocol as far as I understand it.

https://www.footballzebras.com/2023/01/how-does-the-nfl-handle-a-suspended-game/

The policies do outline a few things the commissioner cannot do. He cannot unilaterally declare a forfeit, and he essentially lacks any authority to do so except in a very limited circumstance of a team refusing to take the field. This game in particular cannot be terminated early — in other words, declaring a 7-3 Bengals win — because games may only be terminated if "it is reasonable to project that its resumption (a) would not change its ultimate result or (b) would not adversely affect any other inter-team competitive issue.” The playoff seedings are definitely affected by the outcome of this game. Similarly, the commissioner cannot outright cancel the game — nullify everything from the game and have it uncontested — except as a last resort. Some have also suggested that the game be declared a tie. There is no provision for the commissioner to do so, and the half-win in the standings also presents the "inter-team competitive issue” that the league would avoid.

40 minutes ago, downundermike said:

https://www.footballzebras.com/2023/01/how-does-the-nfl-handle-a-suspended-game/

The policies do outline a few things the commissioner cannot do. He cannot unilaterally declare a forfeit, and he essentially lacks any authority to do so except in a very limited circumstance of a team refusing to take the field. This game in particular cannot be terminated early — in other words, declaring a 7-3 Bengals win — because games may only be terminated if "it is reasonable to project that its resumption (a) would not change its ultimate result or (b) would not adversely affect any other inter-team competitive issue.” The playoff seedings are definitely affected by the outcome of this game. Similarly, the commissioner cannot outright cancel the game — nullify everything from the game and have it uncontested — except as a last resort. Some have also suggested that the game be declared a tie. There is no provision for the commissioner to do so, and the half-win in the standings also presents the "inter-team competitive issue” that the league would avoid.

I read today that the options were for the commissioner to declare it a tie, which is appears based on that info that he cannot do so, OR they could push the start of playoffs back a week, play the bills-bengals game week 19 as the only game of the week, then effectively eliminate the extra week between the conference finals and Super Bowl giving teams only a week to prepare.  I think that makes perfect sense and I think that’s going to be what happens.  I also made this suggestion above previously as it was just common sense. 

unless the owners of bills and bengals decide to not take the field thus forcing goodells hand into declaring it a forfeit by each team then there’s really no other possible outcome without changing the entire league rules midstream which would take a lot of work and a league wide owners vote along with the NFLPA and the competition committee.  

On 1/3/2023 at 12:04 PM, Procus said:

I certainly hope it wasn't a vaccine, because that would be terrible since so many people were vaccinated.  But truth be told, we just don't know regardless of how you choose to present this.

I've been watching NFL football for over 50 years, and it's the first time I saw a player outright collapse on the field like this.

Around 150 soccer players worldwide suffer cardiac arrest and die every year.

Around 15-20 high school athletes in the US suffer commotio cordis and die every year. 

Chuck Hughes of the Detroit Lions had a heart attack during a game and died on the field in 1971.

Gaines Adams of the Chicago Bears died of cardiac arrest at 26 at his home one sunday morning.

It's rare, but it unfortunately happens.

• Like 3

Bravo to the medics at the game who responded so quickly and efficiently.  Their quick actions gave him a fighting chance to live.  Every second counts in situations like that.  

• Like 3