Damar Hamlin

Procus

Every time I see his first name, I can't help but think of another Damar:

Spoiler

Damar.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hamlin back at Bills training camp.  I don't like it.  In my book, you suffer cardiac arrest mid-game on the field and you're fortunate enough to be brought back to life, you look for a different line of work.  All the credit to him for getting back on that horse so to speak, but I just don't think it's worth it.

19 hours ago, Procus said:

Hamlin back at Bills training camp.  I don't like it.  In my book, you suffer cardiac arrest mid-game on the field and you're fortunate enough to be brought back to life, you look for a different line of work.  All the credit to him for getting back on that horse so to speak, but I just don't think it's worth it.

I agree with you that if I were in his shoes, I would pursue a different line of work also.

If there is a silver lining to what happened in Damar Hamlin's case, is that he experienced a very rare cause of sudden cardiac arrest for a young athlete, commotio cordis. He experienced this secondary to the blunt trauma to his chest prior to going down. In theory, any other football player or individual exposed to blunt force trauma can experience this, although it is quite rare.

Usually when you see a young athlete having a sudden cardiac arrest event, it's due to an underlying cardiac abnormality, the two most common are hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, where the ventricle wall is too thick, or coronary artery anomaly, which are both inherited conditions. HOCM is the most common and can be identified on an EKG and echo. CAA is the next most common. There are several other causes, most of which are genetically inherited.

In these situations, the patients are generally advised to avoid contact sports altogether, and if Hamlin ended up having an inherited condition such as HOCM or CAA, he certainly would have been advised to avoid going back to playing football.