HBO Max - The Last of Us

Mike030270

They probably didn't mention this because it's kind of a spoiler for the next season but this is cool

Spoiler

Voice actress for Abby was the nurse

• Haha 2

On the romance stuff, having Elly's story over an ep or two would have been a cool way around it for those who don't know the source. They kind of neon light the story to the point where the ep became a bit obvious 20 mins in, whereas dialogue with Joel and others over time would have been a neat way to add layers to her character and if she killed anyone. 

On 3/13/2023 at 10:03 PM, dawkins4prez said:

Had some highlights but overall I'm struggling to find what it actually added to the genre.

It seemed to have a bit more realistic view towards a generation down the line. Quasi functional societies with scaled populations and, call it, 1950’s average technology (electricity in urban areas, some productive capacity, sewage systems, etc but obviously modern convenience doesn’t exist. Alcohol would be a pretty easy fix, which is one thing they got wrong lol).

Zombis are an easy solve in the midterm. Food, energy, industry, and logistics are the bigger issue to solve… but a lot of that would be solved.

Spoiler

Gotta say I was a little disappointed at the ending. Joel changing his mind, but not really. Lying to Ellie. Oh boy.   I also loved the giraffe scene and the way they filmed Joel killing everyone.  But it didn't seem realistic to me that he got out without a scratch.   

2 minutes ago, DiPros said:

Reveal hidden contents

Gotta say I was a little disappointed at the ending. Joel changing his mind, but not really. Lying to Ellie. Oh boy.   I also loved the giraffe scene and the way they filmed Joel killing everyone.  But it didn't seem realistic to me that he got out without a scratch.   

Spoiler

Yeah - Joel went full on Terminator mode there at the end.  Was kinda silly

Cracked upon the remaster that had been sitting in plastic for god knows how long. Played through the opening scene and all the same emotions came flooding back to me. Something about the direction and context of how the same scene unfolds in the game is so much more visceral and unnerving. 

• Like 1

so......

Spoiler

now that the whole "cure" storyline is dead....

they're just gonna wander....encounter the occasional "bad" group of people and some infected? hope this show doesn't turn into twd. 

37 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

so......

Hide contents

they're just gonna wander....encounter the occasional "bad" group of people and some infected? hope this show doesn't turn into twd. 

Oh it most definitely does not turn into twd. Not that you'd necessarily like the way it turns out, but it aint that. :lol: 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

so......

Hide contents

If season 1 is any indicator then we will probably get infected sprinkled in for season 2 and people will say that's how it should be

2 hours ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Cracked upon the remaster that had been sitting in plastic for god knows how long. Played through the opening scene and all the same emotions came flooding back to me. Something about the direction and context of how the same scene unfolds in the game is so much more visceral and unnerving. 

the original is goated in how it conveys storytelling and emotion. I greatly enjoy Pedro and liked Bella but the cast that did the voice acting/motion capture in the game will never be topped. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

the original is goated in how it conveys storytelling and emotion. I greatly enjoy Pedro and liked Bella but the cast that did the voice acting/motion capture in the game will never be topped. 

Right? Like it's crazy to think about, especially when you consider how much more limiting the medium is compared to the live action of a TV series, but it just hit me so much harder when they cut to those opening credits for the first time. Just bananas how tightly everything fits together to deliver the intended effect, Druckman is a wizard.

18 hours ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Oh it most definitely does not turn into twd. Not that you'd necessarily like the way it turns out, but it aint that. :lol: 

Because the game is so popular its almost impossible to avoid spoilers. I've tried like hell to avoid them but even I pretty much know what happens. 

1 minute ago, Gannan said:

Because the game is so popular its almost impossible to avoid spoilers. I've tried like hell to avoid them but even I pretty much know what happens. 

Until the show, I had no idea that the "zombies" weren't traditional zombies and were instead infected by a fungus.  So it's not impossible.  The only thing I knew about the game was that a man and a girl went out on their own, and that's only because a guy I work with was talking about playing it years ago.  

On 3/17/2023 at 10:21 AM, mikemack8 said:

Until the show, I had no idea that the "zombies" weren't traditional zombies and were instead infected by a fungus.  So it's not impossible.  The only thing I knew about the game was that a man and a girl went out on their own, and that's only because a guy I work with was talking about playing it years ago.  

Before the show I didn't even know what the game was. I have an xbox not a playstation so it just wasn't on my radar. I avoided spoilers for most of the 1st season of the show. It was as season 1 was winding down I would get stuff in my social media feed like (major season 2 spoilers ahead)

Spoiler

Here's the scene from the game where Abby kills Joel!

Click this article about the special relationship between Abby and Ellie!

So I know some Abby character comes along that's close to Ellie and kills Joel for whatever reason. I really wish I didn't know this stuff, but the internet has zero F's to give about spoiling stuff with click bait.

I will say that people in this thread have been really good about not giving stuff away without the spoiler tag, and it's very much appreciated. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Gannan said:

It's not just you, those spoilers came out well before the game even did. So it was ruined for those of us who were playing the game too. Some loser hacked into the dev studio's servers and downloaded some videos and screenshots of the scenes while the game was still in development, then released it where it got spread by a bunch of incels on the internet who went apeshit for months on end about it. It was pretty F'ing lame. 

1 minute ago, we_gotta_believe said:

It's not just you, those spoilers came out well before the game even did. So it was ruined for those of us who were playing the game too. Some loser hacked into the dev studio's servers and downloaded some videos and screenshots of the scenes, then released it where it got spread by a bunch of incels on the internet who went apeshit for months on end about it. It was pretty F'ing lame. 

Man the internet really sucks sometimes. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gannan said:

Before the show I didn't even know what the game was. I have an xbox not a playstation so it just wasn't on my radar. I avoided spoilers for most of the 1st season of the show. It was as season 1 was winding down I would get stuff in my social media feed like (major spoilers ahead)

Hide contents

Here's the scene from the game where Abby kills Joel!

Click this article about the special relationship between Abby and Ellie!

So I know some Abby character comes along that's close to Ellie and kills Joel for whatever reason. I really wish I didn't know this stuff, but the internet has zero F's to give about spoiling stuff with click bait.

I will say that people in this thread have been really good about not giving stuff away without the spoiler tag, and it's very much appreciated. 

You should edit this to add that the spoiler is referring to season 2

I finally finished the show.  I thought they nailed everything.  The cinematography in the show was so on point with the game!  It was nearly shot for shot in some sequences and the lighting, effects, tone, everything was perfect.  

In terms of capturing the emotions they couldn’t have done it any better.  Anyone who played the game and watched the show undoubtedly lived it all twice.  

the ending, well just like the game it leaves you to decide for yourself how that makes you feel, whether you think what Joel does is right or wrong, there are people on both sides of it which makes a great debate.  It’s the reason the game was so successful and stands the test of time and as the show runner said it’s the reason he had to make the show.  

I have to play part 2 of the game so I don’t know what season 2 will hold.  But I can’t wait.