HBO Max - The Last of Us

Mike030270

I thought it was another fantastic episode, and it feels like each week I say to myself, man this might be the best episode yet. 

my only complaint is 

Spoiler

Joel seemed to recover a little too quickly in the basement of that house when he attacked David’s henchman. I understand the medicine likely helped but adrenaline kicking in knowing Ellie is in danger probably is driving factor here. 

But that’s probably my only complaint I’ve had yet in the entire show

Spoiler

I don’t mind the show being light on the infected, and think the times when infected show up has been impactful to overall story. Joel/Ellie pitted against or working with various people 20 years after the apocalypse is so fascinating. The potential presence or fear of infected should always be there in scenes, but we don’t actually need infected in most of those scenes. Runners/clickers/bloaters were introduced in such a great way that gives the viewers a great sense of fear when Joel/Ellie are scouting new areas. It Builds suspension, builds that anxiety for us viewers. If we see Joel/Ellie constantly killing them it takes away all of that. Nobody will treat it as a threat anymore because the plot armor becomes too obvious. I don’t want to see characters going around mowing down infected, that feels boring and overdone. I agree with what LeanMeanGM said, I don’t want them to be around so much it feels like TWD. 

All that said, I wouldn’t mind seeing a few more infected in the show. Just don’t overdo it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dwide Schrude said:

I thought it was another fantastic episode, and it feels like each week I say to myself, man this might be the best episode yet. 

my only complaint is 

Hide contents

Joel seemed to recover a little too quickly in the basement of that house when he attacked David’s henchman. I understand the medicine likely helped but adrenaline kicking in knowing Ellie is in danger probably is driving factor here. 

But that’s probably my only complaint I’ve had yet in the entire show

Hide contents

I don’t mind the show being light on the infected, and think the times when infected show up has been impactful to overall story. Joel/Ellie pitted against or working with various people 20 years after the apocalypse is so fascinating. The potential presence or fear of infected should always be there in scenes, but we don’t actually need infected in most of those scenes. Runners/clickers/bloaters were introduced in such a great way that gives the viewers a great sense of fear when Joel/Ellie are scouting new areas. It Builds suspension, builds that anxiety for us viewers. If we see Joel/Ellie constantly killing them it takes away all of that. Nobody will treat it as a threat anymore because the plot armor becomes too obvious. I don’t want to see characters going around mowing down infected, that feels boring and overdone. I agree with what LeanMeanGM said, I don’t want them to be around so much it feels like TWD. 

All that said, I wouldn’t mind seeing a few more infected in the show. Just don’t overdo it.

Spoiler

This is what I was getting at but, you said it waaaaaaaay better 

8 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I just found out today the actor that played Perry in KC voiced Tommy and the actor that played James in the last episode voiced Joel. 

Yep that was our boy Troy. I forgot they were doing cameos. Curious when Ashley is gonna have hers.

• Like 1

Another really solid episode. We already knew the writing would be great, but the acting and direction is just so damn good too. The final one is gonna have to cram in a lot, as suspected, but I can't wait. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

The Donner Party, amirite???

Stayed outta this thread til I had a chance to watch.  Wow.  Great episode. You go Ellie.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DiPros said:

Stayed outta this thread til I had a chance to watch.  Wow.  Great episode. You go Ellie.  

But now how will people learn about imaginary figures in the sky? :sad:

17 hours ago, Dwide Schrude said:

Just started playing the game. Fighting the clickers is beyond frustrating 

You don’t fight them. You evade. And keep a shiv on hand for emergencies. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

Didn't care for the backstory of the mother giving birth. Instantly thought of Blade

Plus given that it was a 45 min episode I just didn't think it was needed. They should have done something different for the voice actress

I liked how they filmed the shootout since we knew it'd be rushed. The camera angle and all helped out a lot. I liked how it showed how ruthless Joel was in the game. They also didn't have him with unlimited ammo. He was picking up guns and using them. Great scene considering the limited time given

In the game you're given a choice when he goes into the operating room. I chose to kill everyone lol I can't remember if I let anyone live during replays of the game. Was surprised he let them live

Giraffe scene was great

Super curious how they're going to portray the 2nd game

• Like 1

For those interested in the original 

• Like 2

False. I’d use the famethrower on one of the assistants with a pipe bomb on the other before saving baby girl. 

Just caught up on the last 2 episodes. Good overall, but not being at all familiar with the whole story from the video games, it feels a bit Mandalorian in it's plot. Quest, side quest to do something, etc - I did wonder if Grogu would turn up at one point.  The only bug bear was 2 from 9 episodes being romance focused.  I still have little idea of what the infected hierarchy is, other than what has been explained here. 

But. An enjoyable watch, no question

I had no problem at all with

Spoiler

Joel killing everyone and breaking Ellie out of the hospital.  The doctor merely thought that it was a reaction in her brain that was making her immune.  What if he's wrong?  Then they killed their only hope for nothing more than a failed experiment.  Given those odds I'd have done the same thing, except I probably wouldn't have even made it past the first 2 guys in the stairwell.

Overall I thought the series pretty good for what it was, I'll gladly watch another season, but maybe not quite as good as the initial hype.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The_Omega said:

Reveal hidden contents

Joel killing everyone and breaking Ellie out of the hospital.  The doctor merely thought that it was a reaction in her brain that was making her immune.  What if he's wrong?  Then they killed their only hope for nothing more than a failed experiment.  Given those odds I'd have done the same thing, except I probably wouldn't have even made it past the first 2 guys in the stairwell.

Overall I thought the series pretty good for what it was, I'll gladly watch another season, but maybe not quite as good as the initial hype.

Did you play the game? I've seen this from other who haven't played the game. I'm curious on what you didn't like about the season

2 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Did you play the game? I've seen this from other who haven't played the game. I'm curious on what you didn't like about the season

I did not play the game.  I liked it, it's not that I didn't, it's just that first 2 or 3 episodes were extremely strong and the buzz was that this was one of the greatest series ever.  It did not quite live up to that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Omega said:

I did not play the game.  I liked it, it's not that I didn't, it's just that first 2 or 3 episodes were extremely strong and the buzz was that this was one of the greatest series ever.  It did not quite live up to that.

I get that but I was looking for specifics. My complaints have been posted but I've played the game

Had some highlights but overall I'm struggling to find what it actually added to the genre.

10 hours ago, The_Omega said:

Hide contents

I played the game and this was my first and only thought about the ending in both. 

Finale spoiler

Spoiler

They wasted way too much time on Ellie’s mom back story. I kinda wish they didn’t at all. Leave the intrigue behind why she is immune as it doesn’t even matter at all. Especially since it doesn’t make any sense she was kinda infected but not really enough, since that makes no sense for what an infection is. 

58 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Finale spoiler

Hide contents

They wasted way too much time on Ellie’s mom back story. I kinda wish they didn’t at all. Leave the intrigue behind why she is immune as it doesn’t even matter at all. Especially since it doesn’t make any sense she was kinda infected but not really enough, since that makes no sense for what an infection is. 

Agreed.

I enjoyed the finale. This is a show I’ll do a rewatch binge many times on future days off. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dwide Schrude said:

Agreed.

I enjoyed the finale. This is a show I’ll do a rewatch binge many times on future days off. 

Yea. Overall I think it was great and am looking forward to Season 2. Just rewatched the finale tonight and nit picking. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Finale spoiler

Hide contents

I actually liked that part. Helps that Ashley was of course awesome in the role, too.

Spoiler

As for it making sense logically, it's kinda similar to some cases where people have been found to be naturally immune to HIV. In those cases, it was a gene mutation I believe, but immunity was still predicated on continual exposure, so in Ellie's case, the tiny amount of cordyceps that crossed the placenta is enough to provide continual exposure but not enough to cause a full blown infection.

Overall, I thought it was a real solid finale that closed out season one and did the game justice. Can't wait for season two...

Or maybe I can. 🙃