HBO Max - The Last of Us

Mike030270

1 hour ago, Agent23 said:

okay, first spoiler tag will be vague enough that folks who haven't played the games shouldn't have anything ruined, but can avoid if they want 100% blind experiences moving forward

Reveal hidden contents
  • Episode 7: 56 minutes -- I expect this to be backstory with Ellie (survival) interspersed with how she's navigating her (survival) in response to Joel bleeding out and whatever outcome may happen to him as a result. 
  •  
  • Episode 8: 51 minutes -- I expect this to focus on the group/community encountered in route to Utah -- Tommy in the show indicated that the road to Salt Lake City didn't have the greatest reputation
  •  
  • Episode 9: 43 minutes -- I expect this to be arrival to SLC through the final events of the original game

The second spoiler will be my in-depth, descriptive predictions of what happened in the games and what I think they will do with the show

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

Episode 7: 56 minutes -- I like how the game cuts to Ellie hunting, and we have no clue if Joel is dead or alive -- but at this point in the game I don't think anyone even remembered that they played as Ellie the first 10 mins inside the house in Texas. So a switch to a new controllable character pretty much feels like fate is sealed. We could lose this, since the hunting and first meeting with David are within the first 5 mins of that chapter (unless you are teh suck at shooting the deer). I think the show may mainly focus on Riley backstory and may have cut between the mall pitstop where Ellie first tries to find medicine for Joel, that the main game yada yadas past. I don't think we'll see any of David unless its at the very end of the episode, but they could end with Joel getting worse and Ellie venturing out for supplies post-mall pitstop 

Episode 8: 51 minutes -- this could follow the game. Ellie hunting, tracking a deer, and bumping into David (pre-dialog) would take all of 5 mins. Then we probably have 5 mins of dialog between those two waiting for the meds, before an attack scene that likely is another 5 mins. At the 15min mark Ellie takes off, and by the 20min mark she's given Joel meds, overhears people tracking her, and she takes off. 10 mins of her trying to escape/thwart them before she gets caught. 30 min mark.

Joel wakes up, makes his way through town and interrogates two guys (they already used the map scene.. maybe thats to set it up for viewers to see Joel ain't Mr. Niceguy). That can be 10 mins of Joel activity with that and arriving in the town. 40min mark: Ellie bites david, does the "you're infected" and we have a 15ish min chase/cat-and-mouse with them, and the final minute is Joel arriving at the climax. 

Episode 9: 43 minutes -- Joel and Ellie arrive at SLC and we have a despondent Ellie. Joel is acting all chipper and what not and for 10 mins they are exploring what also looks like an abandoned Firefly camp. Maybe 10 mins of Ellie seeing animals to cheer up and while it may not be drowning in the same way, I suspect some life-threatening event that puts Ellie at risk and separates them. By the 20min mark you have Joel and Marlene meeting, and it shouldn't take more than 20mins for him to escape, fight through the hospital, intervene, and confront Marlene again. Then like the game, that final arriving just outside of Jackson and approaching the final few miles on foot is only about a 3min scene. 

It's a wonder some lucky lady hasn't scooped you up yet :roll: 

12 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Where are you guys finding the run times for the remaining eps?

websites have usually rolled them out 3 at a time over the past couple months

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

It's a wonder some lucky lady hasn't scooped you up yet :roll: 

there's still time

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Prescient...

Let’s hope that all of this is enough time for the show to guide us through the story without feeling rushed, and leaving enough space for its protagonists to develop the relationship that is central to the franchise.

2 hours ago, Agent23 said:

okay, first spoiler tag will be vague enough that folks who haven't played the games shouldn't have anything ruined, but can avoid if they want 100% blind experiences moving forward

Reveal hidden contents
  • Episode 7: 56 minutes -- I expect this to be backstory with Ellie (survival) interspersed with how she's navigating her (survival) in response to Joel bleeding out and whatever outcome may happen to him as a result. 
  •  
  • Episode 8: 51 minutes -- I expect this to focus on the group/community encountered in route to Utah -- Tommy in the show indicated that the road to Salt Lake City didn't have the greatest reputation
  •  
  • Episode 9: 43 minutes -- I expect this to be arrival to SLC through the final events of the original game

The second spoiler will be my in-depth, descriptive predictions of what happened in the games and what I think they will do with the show

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

Episode 7: 56 minutes -- I like how the game cuts to Ellie hunting, and we have no clue if Joel is dead or alive -- but at this point in the game I don't think anyone even remembered that they played as Ellie the first 10 mins inside the house in Texas. So a switch to a new controllable character pretty much feels like fate is sealed. We could lose this, since the hunting and first meeting with David are within the first 5 mins of that chapter (unless you are teh suck at shooting the deer). I think the show may mainly focus on Riley backstory and may have cut between the mall pitstop where Ellie first tries to find medicine for Joel, that the main game yada yadas past. I don't think we'll see any of David unless its at the very end of the episode, but they could end with Joel getting worse and Ellie venturing out for supplies post-mall pitstop 

Episode 8: 51 minutes -- this could follow the game. Ellie hunting, tracking a deer, and bumping into David (pre-dialog) would take all of 5 mins. Then we probably have 5 mins of dialog between those two waiting for the meds, before an attack scene that likely is another 5 mins. At the 15min mark Ellie takes off, and by the 20min mark she's given Joel meds, overhears people tracking her, and she takes off. 10 mins of her trying to escape/thwart them before she gets caught. 30 min mark.

Joel wakes up, makes his way through town and interrogates two guys (they already used the map scene.. maybe thats to set it up for viewers to see Joel ain't Mr. Niceguy). That can be 10 mins of Joel activity with that and arriving in the town. 40min mark: Ellie bites david, does the "you're infected" and we have a 15ish min chase/cat-and-mouse with them, and the final minute is Joel arriving at the climax. 

Episode 9: 43 minutes -- Joel and Ellie arrive at SLC and we have a despondent Ellie. Joel is acting all chipper and what not and for 10 mins they are exploring what also looks like an abandoned Firefly camp. Maybe 10 mins of Ellie seeing animals to cheer up and while it may not be drowning in the same way, I suspect some life-threatening event that puts Ellie at risk and separates them. By the 20min mark you have Joel and Marlene meeting, and it shouldn't take more than 20mins for him to escape, fight through the hospital, intervene, and confront Marlene again. Then like the game, that final arriving just outside of Jackson and approaching the final few miles on foot is only about a 3min scene. 

Texas? Think you meant Sarah

22 hours ago, Agent23 said:

I will post episode predictions when I’m back at a computer (using video game spoiler tags) 

Quick question.  If a chick walks into your pad, sees your iron covers, then hears you speak video game, is there an immediate evacuation due to a panty flood warning?   

• Haha 2

Not going to intentionally spoil anything but non gamers, read at your in risk 

Spoiler

I'm curious if they are going to introduce Abby at the season finale. The route they took in Game Part 2 clearly didn't work and it's not going to be any better on TV. If they do a quick intro and the small zoo scene between her and her dad before that scene that ends Part 1, it will make way more sense for Season 2's story. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Hide contents

I'm curious if they are going to introduce Abby at the season finale. The route they took in Game Part 2 clearly didn't work and it's not going to be any better on TV. If they do a quick intro and the small zoo scene between her and her dad before that scene that ends Part 1, it will make way more sense for Season 2's story. 

Spoiler

Interesting thought. Not sure how they could shoehorn in the stuck zebra scene, but I do wonder if they show him playing with a young girl (presumably Abby) before he leaves to go to the hospital that day. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, it all depends on how much time they have to work with. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:
  Hide contents

Interesting thought. Not sure how they could shoehorn in the stuck zebra scene, but I do wonder if they show him playing with a young girl (presumably Abby) before he leaves to go to the hospital that day. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, it all depends on how much time they have to work with. 

Spoiler

Yea, with the time being crunched it could also just be a quick cameo like Dina was and have her walk in to see the aftermath and her breakdown over it. Early in Season 2 they could do the Zebra flashback to reestablish sympathy for the character since non gamers will probably forget who she even is whenever the next season airs. 

I just don't see how they can follow the same path as the second game and expect people to not loathe her as a character and quit the show after that scene. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:
  Hide contents

Yea, with the time being crunched it could also just be a quick cameo like Dina was and have her walk in to see the aftermath and her breakdown over it. Early in Season 2 they could do the Zebra flashback to reestablish sympathy for the character since non gamers will probably forget who she even is whenever the next season airs. 

I just don't see how they can follow the same path as the second game and expect people to not loathe her as a character and quit the show after that scene. 

Spoiler

I hated that part too, but I think that was the whole point. Not sure what else they could ever do to make anyone not loathe Abby. Even up until the very end, I was like, "Don't back down, Ellie, F'ing cut this bitch and let's go home!" Even if they show her as a young girl crying over her dad's lifeless body, we as the audience will always still be more attached to Joel/Ellie and thus hate Abby's guts for what she does to them. That's why I think the point is to show us the brutality of that scene so we have this visceral reaction, only to then have to begrudgingly listen to Abby's side of the story.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:
  Hide contents

I hated that part too, but I think that was the whole point. Not sure what else they could ever do to make anyone not loathe Abby. Even up until the very end, I was like, "Don't back down, Ellie, F'ing cut this bitch and let's go home!" Even if they show her as a young girl crying over her dad's lifeless body, we as the audience will always still be more attached to Joel/Ellie and thus hate Abby's guts for what she does to them. That's why I think the point is to show us the brutality of that scene so we have this visceral reaction, only to then have to begrudgingly listen to Abby's side of the story.

Spoiler

Laughed at your reaction to the ending. I had the same, I was hoping Ellie just pulled a Nelson Muntz on the beach with Abby still tied up

Ha Ha The Simpsons GIF - Ha Ha The Simpsons Nelson Muntz ...

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Texas? Think you meant Sarah

Yes, correct. 

20 hours ago, hputenis said:

Quick question.  If a chick walks into your pad, sees your iron covers, then hears you speak video game, is there an immediate evacuation due to a panty flood warning?   

My clubs are stored in a box at the moment so the head covers are not presently visible 

• Haha 1

Spoiler

Was that really Jackson, Wyoming?  It’s been awhile since I was there.  (30 years or so)

I didn't think about it until now after reading your posts but I'm not sure how what they did in the second game translates to tv. I assume they'll try to do it a different way in the show

12 hours ago, Dwide Schrude said:

Still yet to have a weak episode

While I agree that this one wasn't weak, for me it was probably the weakest so far. 

Spoiler

I'm glad that they at least threw a little bit in there with the aftermath of Joel getting stabbed so we knew what was going on there.  

I think my only gripes so far have been 

Spoiler

Making Sam deaf

Only 8 episodes because there's been a bunch of times it feels rushed

Showing the resistance side story. Though I think if it was more episodes then this wouldn't have bothered me. I didn't care for the leader but that could just be because I don't care for the actress

Not enough encounters with infected and raiders

On 2/24/2023 at 4:38 PM, LeanMeanGM said:

Hide contents

I’m fairly certain that season 1 of the show doesn’t even cover the full game story let alone get into part 2.  My brother worked on the show and I’m pretty sure that’s what he told me. 

12 minutes ago, DBW said:

I’m fairly certain that season 1 of the show doesn’t even cover the full game story let alone get into part 2.  My brother worked on the show and I’m pretty sure that’s what he told me. 

It definitely covers the full game story. It's already about 75-80% covered. 

There also have already been parts of Part 2 in this season.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

While I agree that this one wasn't weak, for me it was probably the weakest so far. 

Hide contents

I'm glad that they at least threw a little bit in there with the aftermath of Joel getting stabbed so we knew what was going on there.  

Maybe it was, but it did a fantastic job with developing Ellie. I just have yet to watch an episode where I’m like "eh that was ok”. Every week I love the show even more

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

It definitely covers the full game story. It's already about 75-80% covered. 

There also have already been parts of Part 2 in this season.

Oh ok I’m only on episode 3.  He thought season 2 of the show would be part 2 of the game but they are covering a lot of it very quickly.  

Offerman absolutely crushed episode 3! 

• Like 1