Round 1 pick #9 Eagles select Georgia DT Jalen Carter

D-Shiznit

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Exactly, like I said Chicago had fielded zero offers for pick 9 and were picking a player in Wright who could have been there as low as 14.

None of us knows whether that was true or not. 

• Like 1

Great first round, couldn't have scripted it much better.  Although, not that a really care, but still not quite sure why we had to move up one spot to get Carter.  If the Bears wanted him, it seems like they would have held fast and taken him at 9, no?

I guess Howie had the impression that there were multiple trade offers, or that Chicago would take him at 9 if they didn't make the trade.  Bears might have gotten the better of us on that deal...but worth it not to lose our guy. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Norseman said:

Great first round, couldn't have scripted it much better.  Although, not that a really care, but still not quite sure why we had to move up one spot to get Carter.  If the Bears wanted him, it seems like they would have held fast and taken him at 9, no?

I guess Howie had the impression that there were multiple trade offers, or that Chicago would take him at 9 if they didn't make the trade.  Bears might have gotten the better of us on that deal...but worth it not to lose our guy. 

This.  If a 2024 4th round pick is the difference between getting your guy for 100% certain, or possibly losing him, you trade the 2024 4th. Don't even think twice about it. Because hey, if you overpaid...you "overpaid" by a freakin 2024 4th. 

• Like 10

There was absolutely no reason to trade the '24 4th to move up to 9.  Nobody was gonna take Carter at 9...8 teams passed on him and no way anyone was gonna give up anything of value to trade up.  I think Howie just did the trade to give the impression that he had to because another team was looking to jump them for Carter...i.e., to justify the Eagles picking him.  Otherwise, many other teams in the top half of the first round were all "crickets" about Carter due to character concerns, but Howie was all in.

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

There was absolutely no reason to trade the '24 4th to move up to 9.  Nobody was gonna take Carter at 9...8 teams passed on him and no way anyone was gonna give up anything of value to trade up.  I think Howie just did the trade to give the impression that he had to because another team was looking to jump them for Carter...i.e., to justify the Eagles picking him.  Otherwise, many other teams in the top half of the first round were all "crickets" about Carter due to character concerns, but Howie was all in.

This is such a strange theory. No one was going to take him at 9 because 8 teams had already passed on him? You realize that doesn't make any sense at all, right? And you could literally say that about every single trade up in the history of the draft.  You could say that about every pick in the draft. "The Cardinals traded up for Paris Johnson at 6! Nobody was going to take him there, 5 teams had already passed on him!" 

Then, Howie just throws away a fourth for no other reason than to trick people into thinking there was interest in the prospect he wanted? I mean, it sounds completely ridiculous. :lol: 

• Like 18

Anyone have word on why they traded up one spot to pick a dude Chicago prob wasn’t going to pick anyway?  Must have heard a team was trying to swap picks with the bears and just offered a better option to block it.

2 minutes ago, Kz! said:

This is such a strange theory. No one was going to take him at 9 because 8 teams had already passed on him? You realize that doesn't make any sense at all, right? And you could literally say that about every single trade up in the history of the draft.  You could say that about every pick in the draft. "The Cardinals traded up for Paris Johnson at 6! Nobody was going to take him there, 5 teams had already passed on him!" 

Then, Howie just throws away a fourth for no other reason than to trick people into thinking there was interest in the prospect he wanted? I mean, it sounds completely ridiculous. :lol: 

Who was gonna take him?  Chicago obviously wasn't.  The Titans went OL at 11, Detroit went RB at 12 (and could have just taken Carter at 6), GB went DE at 13 and they're a team that shies away from character concerns, etc.  Any team that would have wanted to jump ahead of the Eagles would have been down far in the first and would have had to give up a valuable pick (or 2) to do so.  The point is, the 8 teams that passed on him was for a reason...that same reason is why no team was gonna give up extra resources to get him....except the Eagles. 

We will never know, but it seemed pretty obvious to me that Carter was gonna be there at 10 and there was no need to trade up.  

Just now, BornGreen said:

Anyone have word on why they traded up one spot to pick a dude Chicago prob wasn’t going to pick anyway?  Must have heard a team was trying to swap picks with the bears and just offered a better option to block it.

I don't think we have word on...but i think we can imagine why you'd want to guarantee you'll get your guy rather than wonder about the hypotheticals. Maybe someone at pick 12-15 could offer a 2024 3rd, but Chicago didn't want to move back that far. Maybe this, maybe that. 

Even thinking about my stupid fantasy league, there are too many times when I let someone outbid me by $1 for a stud because I'm sticking to my value chart. Overpay a little and get who you want, or run the risk of kicking yourself if someone swoops in and takes him. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, EaglesAddict said:

Who was gonna take him?  Chicago obviously wasn't.  The Titans went OL at 11, Detroit went RB at 12 (and could have just taken Carter at 6), GB went DE at 13 and they're a team that shies away from character concerns, etc.  Any team that would have wanted to jump ahead of the Eagles would have been down far in the first and would have had to give up a valuable pick (or 2) to do so.  The point is, the 8 teams that passed on him was for a reason...that same reason is why no team was gonna give up extra resources to get him....except the Eagles. 

We will never know, but it seemed pretty obvious to me that Carter was gonna be there at 10 and there was no need to trade up.  

Yeah but of the first eight teams, 3 of them obviously went with need and picked a Qb.  So scratch them off the list of teams picking 1-8.  That leaves 5 teams passing on what some said was the best pick in the draft on def side of ball. Of course the best RB was gonna go up there as well.  If Robinson was there at 9 I think we would have stayed out at 10 and then him. That’s leaving 4 teams left actually 3 because Chicago obviously wasn’t picking Carter.  The remaining took edge rushers and a cb. I don’t know the exact needs those teams needed but very well those were holes they needed filled which left Carter.  There had to be another team interested in him and willing to trade Chicago for him. 

12 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

The fact that no team reached for a DT directly after Carter was taken doesn't mean those teams weren't interested in the position. Look, no one on here knows if a team would have traded ahead of us to snag Carter. It's impossible to know. But yes, it was a possibility. No, I don't believe Howie gave up a 4th in some elaborate plan to trick people into thinking there was interest in the prospect he wanted.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kz! said:

The fact that no team reached for a DT directly after Carter was taken doesn't mean those teams weren't interested in the position. Look, no one on here knows if a team would have traded ahead of us to snag Carter. It's impossible to know. But yes, it was a possibility. No, I don't believe Howie gave up a 4th in some elaborate plan to trick people into thinking there was interest in the prospect he wanted.

That 4th was nothing when they have all those comp picks coming. Worth it for the guarantee. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Carter and Davis gonna make teams run to the outside. 

34 minutes ago, Kz! said:

We'll never know.  To Howie's credit, I don't believe he said anything last night during the interviews after Round 1 was over that he thought there were teams trying to trade with Chicago. 

I just think they needlessly gave up a 4th rounder...that's my main gripe.  But, oh well.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Kz! said:

Yeah we can’t look at it like that. Teams may have had a big gap between Carter and the next best DT and so the value wasn’t there for them.

1 minute ago, Mike030270 said:

Hopefully he matures and becomes an all pro

That's all I want

He’s got the talent and I think he’s going to be in a good place for him to have every chance,

This board is Fing unbelievable.

We have 12 picks next year including 2 2nd rounders and a bunch of comp picks, and are expected to not pick in the top 21 picks for the foreseeable future. 

Everyone wanted Carter. We gave up a Fing future 4th to get him. Jesus Christ people… 

Love the confident move. Love the pick.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

36 minutes ago, leftcoastnest said:

This board is Fing unbelievable.

We have 12 picks next year including 2 2nd rounders and a bunch of comp picks, and are expected to not pick in the top 21 picks for the foreseeable future. 

Everyone wanted Carter. We gave up a Fing future 4th to get him. Jesus Christ people… 

Love the confident move. Love the pick.

If you've actually been paying attention to the board then you'd know that's not true

• Haha 1

Great pick at #9. Huge talent. And I believe Carter landed in the right spot to learn to mature. The Eagles are stacked at DT for the time being. No worries losing the 4th round pick in the trade. It is worth very little.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Norseman said:

Reading between the lines I think the Eagles would have taken one of the offensive tackles if the Bears had taken Carter. The Bears liked Carter but also wanted Wright. Chicago calls and says we'll flip you Carter for Wright if you give us something for the trouble.  

No brainer.

1 hour ago, BornGreen said:

Carter and Davis gonna make teams run to the outside. 

To Smith and Reddick. Then with Dean’s speed he will be able to clean up. 

1 hour ago, EaglesAddict said:

I just think they needlessly gave up a 4th rounder...that's my main gripe.  But, oh well.

Needlessly?  See above.  Chicago said if you want him, you can have him but give us something to sweeten the pot otherwise we'll take him ourselves.

A 4th is nothing.  Draft picks after the 3rd round are nothing more than commodities. 

1 hour ago, EaglesAddict said:

they needlessly gave up a 4th rounder..

I don’t think they needlessly gave up a 4th rounder. They gave it up for a reason. Howie is no mug and he’s not giving up picks for no reason.

1 minute ago, Hawkeye said:

Needlessly?  See above.  Chicago said if you want him, you can have him but give us something to sweeten the pot otherwise we'll take him ourselves.

A 4th is nothing.  Draft picks after the 3rd round are nothing more than commodities. 

Man, Chicago wasn't gonna take him.  Those future draft picks aren't worthless...they have now given up next year's 4th and 5th round picks.  They have several comp picks coming, but they won't be official until after the season is over.  

To put the '24 4th and 5th rounder in perspective, the Eagles used this year's 5th to trade for CJGJ.  Then used this year's 4th on Robert Quinn.  So, having those mid round picks could be valuable to use in deals like that.