Round 1 pick #9 Eagles select Georgia DT Jalen Carter

D-Shiznit

Kid has a fresh start here and he’s surrounded by veteran leadership and some of his former teammates, all of which should keep him in check. He’ll come into his own soon enough. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

A knowledgeable gracious realistic fan of another team...where do they make you?

ATNFL used to be very active but once the board went privately funded it's been pretty dead. There were a lot of fans of other teams in there before

1 hour ago, leftcoastnest said:

For those worried about work ethic and character concerns...the kid was 19/20 when he had his accident...think about all the stupid crap you probably did at that age. One top of that, dealing with legal stuff to the extent he did at 21/22 has to be extremely taxing on a young mind. He's going to be a stud. Bank on it.

He was pulled over for reckless driving and let go because of who he was (top nfl draft prospect). He was told to slow down and tell the rest of the football team to slow down. Then he's in another racing incident that results in death. Plus everything else. He had a lot of red flags

I hope he matures and becomes an all pro but some of you are acting like no one should feel cautious about the pick

• Like 2

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don’t think they needlessly gave up a 4th rounder. They gave it up for a reason. Howie is no mug and he’s not giving up picks for no reason.

Not sure Howie gives a crap about 4th and 5th round picks. He seems to use them to trade up a fair bit. Feels like every draft we have picks in the first three rounds and then don’t pick again until the 7th, where we randomly have two or three picks. My guess is the percentage of hitting on those picks is so low he’d rather just ensure that he gets the guys he really wants.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 91defense said:

I was one of the people that wasn't sold on Carter. His work ethic and off-the-field issues make me nervous. However, we only had to move up 1 spot to get him, and we lucked out with Nolan Smith at 30. Even though they aren't the same type of player, IMO getting Nolan Smith is sort of Jalen Carter flop insurance.

Shoot... weren't we considering Nolan Smith at 10? Think of it this way... if we drafted Smith at 10, then Carter at 30, wouldn't we be friggin' jacked?

In the final mock drafts that people but out before the draft, Smith was the most mocked guy to the Eagles at 10 by both the local and national media.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

Fans or media that are being critical of him based on a late night zoom after a long day are ridiculous.  He's been dealing with the accident issue since January, he's suffered enough.  The Eagles do their due diligence investigation, they care about work ethic and character.

If any of you went through this tragic incident and felt the mental and emotional weight of that, it would affect you too. You might not be 100% for every interview.  The guy talentwise is considered one of the best (if not THE best) talent in this draft.  He will get conditioned, be mentored by the veteran players and coaches, his GA teammates and be fine.

It’s worth mentioning that the person he was racing was very drunk.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, vaff said:

Not sure Howie gives a crap about 4th and 5th round picks. He seems to use them to trade up a fair bit. Feels like every draft we have picks in the first three rounds and then don’t pick again until the 7th, where we randomly have two or three picks. My guess is the percentage of hitting on those picks is so low he’d rather just ensure that he gets the guys he really wants.

And look I think that’s probably fair too. A fourth or fifth round player is hopefully going to be a decent depth guy and very occasionally is more than that. So yeah use those picks you go and get a guy you absolutely want.

38 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

ATNFL used to be very active but once the board went privately funded it's been pretty dead. There were a lot of fans of other teams in there before

He was pulled over for reckless driving and let go because of who he was (top nfl draft prospect). He was told to slow down and tell the rest of the football team to slow down. Then he's in another racing incident that results in death. Plus everything else. He had a lot of red flags

I hope he matures and becomes an all pro but some of you are acting like no one should feel cautious about the pick

I'm cautious but, at the same time I think he went to a good place to grow up and reach his potential. 

11 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I'm cautious but, at the same time I think he went to a good place to grow up and reach his potential. 

That's the hope

They don't take guys with character concerns. I trust they did their due diligence. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, NOTW said:

Fans or media that are being critical of him based on a late night zoom after a long day are ridiculous.  He's been dealing with the accident issue since January, he's suffered enough.  The Eagles do their due diligence investigation, they care about work ethic and character.

If any of you went through this tragic incident and felt the mental and emotional weight of that, it would affect you too. You might not be 100% for every interview.  The guy talentwise is considered one of the best (if not THE best) talent in this draft.  He will get conditioned, be mentored by the veteran players and coaches, his GA teammates and be fine.

Agreed. Yeah and its not like he caused the accident or hit the other car in anyway. He pled guilty to reckless driving and racing. He took responsibility for participating. The investigation is on going. What more do the blood suckers want. Judging him from a Zoom call is beyond ridiculous. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

I was wondering how he got away with it, meanwhile the raiders WRs life is basically over.

We got the best player in the draft from a pick by trading with the saints, coming off a Super Bowl appearance 

Im so excited to see Carter play if he becomes the player that he can be what a fn draft 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Peacekeeper said:

We got the best player in the draft from a pick by trading with the saints, coming off a Super Bowl appearance 

Im so excited to see Carter play if he becomes the player that he can be what a fn draft 

I know it’s so exciting to think a team who came so close to winning the SB just got arguably the most talented player in the draft. And if not the most talented certainly top 3.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, EagleMatt said:

I was wondering how he got away with it, meanwhile the raiders WRs life is basically over.

Totally different circumstances. Takes two seconds to google my dude. The Raiders wide receiver Ruggs was drunk driving and actually killed someone. His victim died in an inferno of flames.

This incident with Carter was a bunch of young kids joy riding. The woman that was drinking and driving illegally due to her alcohol levels crashed her car and died along with her passenger (she was a team analyst older and should have known better). Carter was charged with a misdemeanor because he was found to be reckless driving. Stop with the misinformed takes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Zero caution. All hype. Welcome to Philly, Jalen. Go Birds 💚

19 hours ago, EagleMatt said:

Got away with what? 

20 hours ago, EagleMatt said:

Ruggs' career is over, but not his life. The woman that died in the Ruggs incident was not a participant in the illegal activity. Everybody affected in this incident was. The punishments have been decided by a judge. 

Carter used bad judgement and it's something he will have to live with and something that he has an opportunity to learn from. Jerome Brown, as far as I know, wasn't technically "racing" but he died from driving his new Corvette recklessly. That wasn't just a career ender --- It took his life as well.  Young adults make bad decisions all the time and call it "having fun." Most of the time people get away with it, but there's always a risk that it can end badly. All anybody can do is hope that responsibility takes over sooner rather than later.

• Like 3

FWIW: Nolan Smith and Carter did a joint PC last night and Nolan spoke about Jalen's character and said "that's not who he is" in reference to the accident.  He said he knows his character and is a good guy.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NOTW said:

FWIW: Nolan Smith and Carter did a joint PC last night and Nolan spoke about Jalen's character and said "that's not who he is" in reference to the accident.  He said he knows his character and is a good guy.  

Nakobe Dean praised his character, too. As far as being on a team, that’s good, but it doesn’t necessarily mean he’s actually the good guy they claim him to be. Fraternities like this will stick up for each other. To the people outside their bubble, they may all be a-holes. Just as an example: how often do cops stick up for other cops that do terrible things? Way too often.

31 minutes ago, vaff said:

Nakobe Dean praised his character, too. As far as being on a team, that’s good, but it doesn’t necessarily mean he’s actually the good guy they claim him to be. Fraternities like this will stick up for each other. To the people outside their bubble, they may all be a-holes. Just as an example: how often do cops stick up for other cops that do terrible things? Way too often.

We don't know him, we can only go on what those who do know him say. The team are the ones taking a chance on him and:

On 4/28/2023 at 4:55 PM, NOTW said:

They don't take guys with character concerns. I trust they did their due diligence. 

45 minutes ago, NOTW said:

We don't know him, we can only go on what those who do know him say. The team are the ones taking a chance on him and:

Supposedly the coaching staff at Georgia weren’t that complimentary of him. There were questions about his "character” long before the accident. It was a topic that was brought up by one of the ESPN or NFLN draft guys last season. I think we have to take it all with a grain of salt, though. While I think teammates are going to be biased in defending each other. I also don’t trust college coaches or the media a whole lot. College coaches are the type to defend your character if you rape someone, but criticize you if you think they’re abusing their authority, or have a mental illness, or don’t go to class, or don’t practice hard enough, etc. So I don’t trust their definition of "character”. And of course, the media is just going to report whatever they tell them.

The Eagles do acquire guys with character issues. I mean, they tried to trade for a guy who has been accused of sexual misconduct by like 25 massage therapists. For the most part, I don’t expect the Eagles to draft guys with serious arrest incidents in their past like the Cowboys do literally every year. But on big decisions, they’re going to do serious due diligence on guys who have been accused of significant things. The Eagles seem to value DT more than maybe any team. I think that was a big reason in why they took a risk on him.

BTW, Kelee Ringo supposedly has "character concerns” as well. God only knows what that actually means.

9 minutes ago, vaff said:

Supposedly the coaching staff at Georgia weren’t that complimentary of him. There were questions about his "character” long before the accident. It was a topic that was brought up by one of the ESPN or NFLN draft guys last season. I think we have to take it all with a grain of salt, though. While I think teammates are going to be biased in defending each other. I also don’t trust college coaches or the media a whole lot. College coaches are the type to defend your character if you rape someone, but criticize you if you think they’re abusing their authority, or have a mental illness, or don’t go to class, or don’t practice hard enough, etc. So I don’t trust their definition of "character”. And of course, the media is just going to report whatever they tell them.

The Eagles do acquire guys with character issues. I mean, they tried to trade for a guy who has been accused of sexual misconduct by like 25 massage therapists. For the most part, I don’t expect the Eagles to draft guys with serious arrest incidents in their past like the Cowboys do literally every year. But on big decisions, they’re going to do serious due diligence on guys who have been accused of significant things. The Eagles seem to value DT more than maybe any team. I think that was a big reason in why they took a risk on him.

BTW, Kelee Ringo supposedly has "character concerns” as well. God only knows what that actually means.

How about we simply trust the actual judge here? Assuming he doesn't violate probation  and takes his defensive driving course, in about one year, he will have paid for his mistake. Hopefully he has already learned from it. 

On 4/28/2023 at 8:14 AM, EazyEaglez said:

Well he didn’t help himself with what got him in trouble either. Probably not the smartest player here. 

Not mature yes…But we got him to road grade opposing Offensive line. With him most likely double teamed, the rest of defense will have fun. We have improved. Love it. 

• Like 1