Round 1 pick #9 Eagles select Georgia DT Jalen Carter

D-Shiznit

15 hours ago, SkippyX said:

It did not make sense how much Carter was legally punished for his role (speeding/racing)

It makes more sense now.

He did not go to traffic school as part of his earlier speeding issues so he was driving with a suspended license on the day of the crash.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/clarke-county/uga-star-jalen-carter-was-driving-suspended-license-during-deadly-crash-court-records-show/QCC6XRNK4JHHPN37LGTZ3HG7GQ/

He went to traffic school a few weeks later.

It does not make him evil or a bad person but its another instance of poor judgement and might be a factor in him possibly having to pay some money in that lawsuit.

Is that the one where he was going like 90 and the officer let him off because of who he was?

Getting let go and then not even doing the simple school to clear everything was very stupid

He knew he was driving on a suspended license because they tell you if you the consequences if you don't complete the courses

Hopefully he grows up because that's bad decisions after bad decisions

Joe Castro @PhillyPhillyTP

"When speaking to people close to the #Eagles I was told Jalen Carter has "adapted quickly” and seems like he will "thrive in the Eagles structure”. I asked if Nolan and other teammates made him more comfortable and was told it was "quite the opposite”.

https://twitter.com/PhillyPhillyTP/status/1661911439785836544?s=20

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2023 at 8:43 AM, MF POON said:

The fact that she was an employee of the university, drove their car, and it involved a student is the link here.  All you have to do is look at Sandusky and Penn St.  He was taking advantage of boys at his camp away from the college, and the University was still held liable and settled with former victims.  I pretty certain UGA will settle with the family in this case.

Uhh...that was because they proved that the University was informed what was going on and did nothing to investigate.  Remember Joe Paterno?  He had heard what was going on and chose not to believe it and ignore the situation completely allowing it to continue.

This would not be a good example.

• Like 2

On 6/2/2023 at 9:26 AM, Vee said:

Uhh...that was because they proved that the University was informed what was going on and did nothing to investigate.  Remember Joe Paterno?  He had heard what was going on and chose not to believe it and ignore the situation completely allowing it to continue.

This would not be a good example.

Lecroy had a history of speeding, which the university knew of, yet she was still given a car by the school - that same car was used to take Willock and LeCroy's lives. Don't forget that there was another employee in the car that was also injured. Also, I'm pretty sure university staff is always required to use good judgement when interacting with students. That means not getting drunk at strip clubs with them, or deciding to include them in a race while driving under the influence. I'm willing to bet that wasn't the first time she had partied with students after a big win and decided to drive under the influence.

I think it's a fair example due to the argument of she did this "on her own time."  Sandusky was running his own private camps on his own time (which were also ran and funded by his own company), on a satellite campus owned by the university. These camps/children had no ties to the university's football program, yet the victims from these camps were able to sue PSU because of his employment there, and due to where they took place.  Again, UGA was aware of LeCroy's driving history, and I'd guess that drinking with a 20 year old student at a strip club is prohibited. I'm 100% certain that DUI while operating a school owned vehicle is prohibited, yet she did so anyway. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MF POON said:

These camps/children had no ties to the university's football program, yet the victims from these camps were able to sue PSU because of his employment there, and due to where they took place. 

OK, if that's your take, I'm not gonna change your mind.

My take is that since they had proof that Penn State was informed (several times) regarding what was going on, that's when the University knew they had to settle this out of court.  Anyone can sue anyone for anything.  If they couldn't prove Penn State knew anything, this would not have ended the same waty.

In the UGA case, I believe the settlement, if any, will be significantly less than what Penn State doled out.  If they can throw money at this to make it go away, affordably, they will.  They have about $1.5B in the bank.

20 hours ago, Vee said:

My take is that since they had proof that Penn State was informed (several times) regarding what was going on, that's when the University knew they had to settle this out of court.  Anyone can sue anyone for anything.  If they couldn't prove Penn State knew anything, this would not have ended the same waty.

In the UGA case, I believe the settlement, if any, will be significantly less than what Penn State doled out.  If they can throw money at this to make it go away, affordably, they will.  They have about $1.5B in the bank.

Yeah there's been a vocal and persistent campaign to launder particularly Paterno's reputation since the Sandusky case broke, but there was pretty clear and credible evidence Penn State (and Paterno) were aware of Sandusky being investigated for incidents with young boys in 1998, but didn't report the infamous shower incident of 2001 to police and didn't even ban him from using campus facilities until 2011, their athletic director at the time plead guilty to misdemeanor child endangerment.

Knowing Lecroy had gotten speeding tickets but still giving her a car isn't within light years of what Penn State did in terms of responsibility.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Yeah there's been a vocal and persistent campaign to launder particularly Paterno's reputation since the Sandusky case broke, but there was pretty clear and credible evidence Penn State (and Paterno) were aware of Sandusky being investigated for incidents with young boys in 1998, but didn't report the infamous shower incident of 2001 to police and didn't even ban him from using campus facilities until 2011, their athletic director at the time plead guilty to misdemeanor child endangerment.

Knowing Lecroy had gotten speeding tickets but still giving her a car isn't within light years of what Penn State did in terms of responsibility.

It's not really just about the speeding tickets, as she even got some of them while employed at UGA. It's also about how many times did she go out and party after games with the players and staff? Of those instances, how many times was she drunk/intoxicated and then operated a vehicle/university car with other students and staff inside? How many times did she race other students/staff? She worked at UGA for 3 years, so I'm pretty sure these things happened on more than one occasion, which means other members of the athletic dept had to be aware of her reckless behavior involving players and staff, yet she was still allowed to continue putting others at risk. These are all things that Willock's family can bring up to find the school liable. 

On 6/7/2023 at 8:34 AM, Vee said:

See my argument above, I agree that the PSU incident is much easier to prove liability, I just think that the cases are similar in regard to the argument that was being made, along with prior knowledge being factored in.

• 1 month later...
57 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I found this part interesting:

"In addition to the lawsuit against Carter, Bowles has also targeted the University of Georgia athletics association, holding them accountable for negligence in permitting staffer Chandler LeCroy to operate the rental car involved in the tragic accident."

1 hour ago, Mike030270 said:

The timing of this reeks of someone that's after some $$.  Here's hoping that Carter can settle this quickly and out of court.

Everyone else is to blame for my stupid ass letting a drunk person drive me after a party. 🤡

4 hours ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

The timing of this reeks of someone that's after some $$.  Here's hoping that Carter can settle this quickly and out of court.

The timing is well within the norm for something like this, IMO. However, I don't see how the accusation about Carter allegedly leaving has any monetary value in a civil suit. The criminal matter has already been settled and that is more a criminal issue than a civil one. Would his presence at the scene in his condition made a positive difference? I don't see how one can prove it would have. 

Still, when a civil suit is filed, no lawyer is going to leave any involved name off the suit --- especially if the name has money. He can go to court and deal with his own lawyers and most likely beat the charge or he could just decide to settle and move on. The plaintiff's lawyers are hoping he decides to settle because there really isn't a strong case. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, MF POON said:

I found this part interesting:

"In addition to the lawsuit against Carter, Bowles has also targeted the University of Georgia athletics association, holding them accountable for negligence in permitting staffer Chandler LeCroy to operate the rental car involved in the tragic accident."

You can file a lawsuit for pretty much any damn thing you want, proving you have a case is more difficult. They'd have to prove that Georgia officials were aware that LeCroy planned to drive and deliberately didn't stop her, the chances of proving their liability are between slim and none, the Lawyer is hoping Georgia's insurers will throw a couple of grand in the pot just to avoid the court costs and potential reputational risks of getting it thrown out.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 10:37 AM, Cochis_Calhoun said:

You can file a lawsuit for pretty much any damn thing you want, proving you have a case is more difficult. They'd have to prove that Georgia officials were aware that LeCroy planned to drive and deliberately didn't stop her, the chances of proving their liability are between slim and none, the Lawyer is hoping Georgia's insurers will throw a couple of grand in the pot just to avoid the court costs and potential reputational risks of getting it thrown out.

I agree.

I think the thing that makes it interesting is that a former employee is now suing, as they should have more insight into overlooked past behavior from LeCroy, and whatever UGA simply looked the other way on.

2 hours ago, MF POON said:

I agree.

I think the thing that makes it interesting is that a former employee is now suing, as they should have more insight into overlooked past behavior from LeCroy, and whatever UGA simply looked the other way on.

Yeah I see the employee angle, but for their case to succeed they'll take a hit on their own contributory negligence by getting in the car with LeCroy and not taking responsibility themselves.

• Like 1

That tweet is like a quiet echo from the past. It's been a long while since an Eagles D-lineman was an unsolvable problem. If I start consistently hearing some things like I heard long ago. Things like: "He's giving the offensive linemen big problems on every snap." or  "He's doing things to the o-line they can't handle and they don't like it." I will be very pleased. 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2023 at 6:51 AM, Procus said:

Early PFF mock

I’ve been so hyped about this draft class that I’ve watched the first round 8-9 times now and day 2 3-4 times from other teams’ perspective just to listen to them lament us getting the players we did. I don’t watch college football so I’m confident in saying I know more about this class than I ever have about any other. That being said…

Who the F is Jared Verse? How Can a guy drop THAT much in a few months? Top 6 pick?

On 8/3/2023 at 12:52 PM, PoconoDon said:

That tweet is like a quiet echo from the past. It's been a long while since an Eagles D-lineman was an unsolvable problem. If I start consistently hearing some things like I heard long ago. Things like: "He's giving the offensive linemen big problems on every snap." or  "He's doing things to the o-line they can't handle and they don't like it." I will be very pleased. 

Unpopular Opinion: I’ll take an all world 3-tech over an all world edge dude 19 times out of 10. They can have similar impacts on the field, but interior guys seem to change the entire identity of the D. Fletch, Donald, Titans’ Haynesworth, Chris Jones, Geno Atkins.

There are plenty of times a bad team will have a superstar DE and no one really cares. So happy we’re going from Cox/Hargrave to Davis/Williams/Carter. IMO that’s what the 2000’s teams were missing. Mike Patterson was good enough, but sometimes good enough just isn’t good enough.

12 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

I’ve been so hyped about this draft class that I’ve watched the first round 8-9 times now and day 2 3-4 times from other teams’ perspective just to listen to them lament us getting the players we did. I don’t watch college football so I’m confident in saying I know more about this class than I ever have about any other. That being said…

Who the F is Jared Verse? How Can a guy drop THAT much in a few months? Top 6 pick?

Verse is a DE from Florida State. He decided to stay for his senior year.

17 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

I'm seeing him in 2024 mocks, so maybe he decided not to declare